Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 23.05.2011, 16:57
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,486
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,551 Times in 2,099 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
...think the whole of EF is a mad-house.
Of course, they'd not be far wrong...

Right, now who's up for a game of Mornington Crescent. Modified Basel rules, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 23.05.2011, 17:17
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,514
Groaned at 57 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 8,956 Times in 3,297 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Some pictures that might be of interest, to the OP
Thank you for highlighting a couple of important new questions.

1. Why, on the orange bus, are the roof bits and nearside bumper bit still green?

2. Why does the sign in the railway station, presumably indicating the airport bus, point diagonally left when clearly the bus is directly forward. Is it providing walking directions to the airport? Is a single arrow sufficient instruction to either the bus or the airport?

3. Is the girl on the bike, present in all three pictures, a permanent fixture? Could we use her as a landmark for finding the bus. Is she employed by the government to provide directions to the bus? Would she provide a backy to the bus, if required?
__________________
Nothing of value kept in this post overnight.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 23.05.2011, 17:40
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,149
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Sometimes, you all crack me up. Schönen Tag noch!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #84  
Old 23.05.2011, 17:58
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,935
Groaned at 115 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 15,962 Times in 5,631 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
3. Is the girl on the bike, present in all three pictures, a permanent fixture? Could we use her as a landmark for finding the bus. Is she employed by the government to provide directions to the bus? Would she provide a backy to the bus, if required?
She's an undercover agent from the Auslanderpolizei. Expect a midnight visit before the end of the week.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 24.05.2011, 11:00
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,514
Groaned at 57 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 8,956 Times in 3,297 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

This morning I went to catch the airport bus, but all I saw was this;

where-exactly-bus-station-basel-sbb-wotnobuzz.jpg

I sat in the corner (behind the ticket machine) and cried

I'm not sure whether it was the location that was important or the crying, but it worked. A few minutes later a bus appeared (it was orange with green roof bits and entirely orange bumber bits).

So another tip. If there is no bus then sit in the corner behind the ticket machine and cry.

HTH
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #86  
Old 24.05.2011, 11:38
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,486
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,551 Times in 2,099 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
So another tip. If there is no bus then sit in the corner behind the ticket machine and cry.
Fantastic news! Someone's finally cracked cause-and-effect.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 24.05.2011, 11:45
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,187
Groaned at 113 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 9,824 Times in 4,138 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Woohoo! My life is complete! I saw the orange bus, I saw the orange bus, I saw the orange bus!



(PS: there was a green one behind it)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 30.05.2011, 20:57
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts
hemflit has become a little unpopular
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Hi guys, I'm the OP.

I happily report that a few hours after posting my previous message in this thread I caught the bus. It was very, very visible indeed (and green IIRC) and it happened to be waiting for passengers as I exited the station building, which was presumably somewhat lucky at that ungodly hour of the morning. It did drop me off at the lower level of the airport (arrivals, I guess).

Having caught my flight and ended up on another continent for a few weeks, I've had spotty access to internet since then, so I've only now checked up on this thread. I want to thank you all again, for the original instructions and for the entertaining thread that followed. Yes, I still have too few posts to my name to have access to the "thank" button.


Evidently a few people think it ridiculous that anyone would have asked for directions more detailed than "it's right outside the train station".

There are situations where you have a location called X, and then a neighbourhood called X after it, and a bus stop called X because it's in neighbourhood X, but it's not quite at location X, and sometimes you can have multiple bus stops called X because in a mental map of neighbourhood X you can think of them as the same location - e.g. they're all very close to one particular intersection - but if you don't know the place you can't automatically know if you're at the right one and you can't automatically see the others, because they're just around the corner.

One mild example from my experience is the Zwinglihaus stop in Zurich. There are four actual spots with this name. They're close enough to each other to be called the same "stop", but far enough that some of them can't be seen from the others. (And at night, none can be easily seen from any of the others.) With a bit of ignorance, this can waste some time. The first time I was there, I didn't realize the place worked like that, I had been given slightly (and innocently) misleading directions, and I happened to be carrying a 19-inch CRT monitor in my bare hands. Guess what happened.

Or hey, if you're from Zurich, imagine arriving there for the first time ever and being told to "oh, just catch the number 13 at the Zurich HB". How would that work out for you?

So check out the map or satellite photo of the Basel SBB station. That's a big intersection, there are quite a few spots there that a bus stop could be at, and I know that I don't know a lot about the place. I couldn't know it was that close.

If I was just strolling casually, I could walk around the whole place and check out all the obvious spots - it's just a few minutes. If I was carrying my huge travel bag with me, but not in any particular hurry, I could still check out the area - it would just take 10-15 minutes. But if I'm also worrying about catching an airplane, and I know I'll be tired under-slept at that moment, that's not the way to go, really. So I figured the best thing to do was ask for details.

Anyway, have a nice day everyone!
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank hemflit for this useful post:
  #89  
Old 30.05.2011, 22:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,362
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

One of those green buses, that have been reported as being orange, actually has fluffy white clouds painted all over its blue roof, with just a small green bit lower down ( being imitation grass.) I spied it when the cloudy sky zoomed past me on my way to work today.

INteresting to read how many varied opinions we have all had on the no. 50 bus - and people write in asking for our advice on important things like visa requirements, expecting to be told one truth. Hah!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank biff for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 30.05.2011, 23:49
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Hi guys, I'm the OP.

I happily report that a few hours after posting my previous message in this thread I caught the bus. It was very, very visible indeed (and green IIRC) and it happened to be waiting for passengers as I exited the station building, which was presumably somewhat lucky at that ungodly hour of the morning. It did drop me off at the lower level of the airport (arrivals, I guess).

Having caught my flight and ended up on another continent for a few weeks, I've had spotty access to internet since then, so I've only now checked up on this thread. I want to thank you all again, for the original instructions and for the entertaining thread that followed. Yes, I still have too few posts to my name to have access to the "thank" button.


Evidently a few people think it ridiculous that anyone would have asked for directions more detailed than "it's right outside the train station".

There are situations where you have a location called X, and then a neighbourhood called X after it, and a bus stop called X because it's in neighbourhood X, but it's not quite at location X, and sometimes you can have multiple bus stops called X because in a mental map of neighbourhood X you can think of them as the same location - e.g. they're all very close to one particular intersection - but if you don't know the place you can't automatically know if you're at the right one and you can't automatically see the others, because they're just around the corner.

One mild example from my experience is the Zwinglihaus stop in Zurich. There are four actual spots with this name. They're close enough to each other to be called the same "stop", but far enough that some of them can't be seen from the others. (And at night, none can be easily seen from any of the others.) With a bit of ignorance, this can waste some time. The first time I was there, I didn't realize the place worked like that, I had been given slightly (and innocently) misleading directions, and I happened to be carrying a 19-inch CRT monitor in my bare hands. Guess what happened.

Or hey, if you're from Zurich, imagine arriving there for the first time ever and being told to "oh, just catch the number 13 at the Zurich HB". How would that work out for you?

So check out the map or satellite photo of the Basel SBB station. That's a big intersection, there are quite a few spots there that a bus stop could be at, and I know that I don't know a lot about the place. I couldn't know it was that close.

If I was just strolling casually, I could walk around the whole place and check out all the obvious spots - it's just a few minutes. If I was carrying my huge travel bag with me, but not in any particular hurry, I could still check out the area - it would just take 10-15 minutes. But if I'm also worrying about catching an airplane, and I know I'll be tired under-slept at that moment, that's not the way to go, really. So I figured the best thing to do was ask for details.

Anyway, have a nice day everyone!
So what advice would you give someone in a similar position to which you were in?
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 31.05.2011, 10:25
tantrum's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 210
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 144 Times in 74 Posts
tantrum has earned some respecttantrum has earned some respect
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

I don't think it was a ridiculous request at all. I often seek similarly detailed info in advance, because public transport in an unfamiliar location is often a challenge.

But the thread did get a bit funny (in both senses of the word) and I think it just became a running joke and not really intended to ridicule the OP (except for the picture of the spoon-fed baby).
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank tantrum for this useful post:
  #92  
Old 31.05.2011, 12:39
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,514
Groaned at 57 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 8,956 Times in 3,297 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Hi guys, I'm the OP.
Welcome back!

Quote:
View Post
I happily report that a few hours after posting my previous message in this thread I caught the bus.
It's good to know that EF can sometimes be helpful.

Quote:
View Post
Evidently a few people think it ridiculous that anyone would have asked for directions more detailed than "it's right outside the train station".
I didn't find it ridiculous. You're right, it can be a bit confusing over there. The airport bus happens to be easy - the other busses that leave from around the SBB area can be a bit harder to find when you've never been there. As you say, if it's horrible o' clock in the morning and you've got a flight to catch, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Quote:
View Post
Anyway, have a nice day everyone!
You too. Thanks for reporting back (most people ask for advice then disappear forever without even a "thanks folks"). And thank you for giving us the opportunity to have a little fun.

Now. Who's up for directions to the 36 bus?
__________________
Nothing of value kept in this post overnight.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #93  
Old 31.05.2011, 12:40
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,187
Groaned at 113 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 9,824 Times in 4,138 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Now. Who's up for directions to the 36 bus?
... there's a #36 bus!?!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 31.05.2011, 12:44
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,200
Groaned at 193 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
... there's a #36 bus!?!
Don't worry. You can just take the number 18 twice.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #95  
Old 31.05.2011, 13:10
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel/Alsace
Posts: 3,789
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,774 Times in 2,171 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Don't worry. You can just take the number 18 twice.
Except it's a tram not a bus

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mimi1981 for this useful post:
  #96  
Old 31.05.2011, 16:06
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,514
Groaned at 57 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 8,956 Times in 3,297 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
... there's a #36 bus!?!
Quote:
View Post
Don't worry. You can just take the number 18 twice.
Quote:
View Post
Except it's a tram not a bus
Then perhaps he could take the Liestal - Büren bus and get off half way.



(It'll most likely be yellow.)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #97  
Old 19.06.2011, 00:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts
hemflit has become a little unpopular
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Thanks for all the nice words, folks!

Quote:
View Post
So what advice would you give someone in a similar position to which you were in?
If someone's looking for that particular bus stop in Basel:
"As you leave the train station by the main door, the stop will be probably 10-15 meters to your left."
I haven't actually seen where the "official" stop exactly is, but when the bus is there it will be obvious, and very reachable from the station entrance, or from any point up to 30 meters to the left. ("Left" when facing as you just walked out of the station, of course.)

If someone's not sure how to find a similar station elsewhere in CH:
"Try Google Maps satellite view, it can sometimes help a lot. See if turning on the Panoramio layer helps. Post the question on englishforum.ch, there's a ton of knowledgeable and helpful folks. Make sure it's clear what you're trying to accomplish and what your question really is."
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank hemflit for this useful post:
  #98  
Old 30.06.2011, 01:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,362
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

I have a guest tonight. She arrived at the SBB and could not find the 50 bus at the entrance, so took the 1 tram instead. HOw can someone be bright enough to figure out the 1 tram, which I had not told her about, but not be able to find the 50 bus, which I had told her about? OBviously, we need to further refine our directions. HOw many steps was it from the base of the elevator?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank biff for this useful post:
  #99  
Old 25.01.2012, 21:58
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,181
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,522 Times in 1,309 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Just to revive this excellent thread with a related question ..

I am trying to get to Allschwil tomorrow and SBB website tells me that I need bus number 48 from Basel SBB.

Please could anyone post up a handy picture (preferably showing bus size and colour) as to where I could get my bus from at SBB? Go through SBB practically daily but just don't remember having seen the number 48
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 25.01.2012, 22:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,257
Groaned at 98 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,276 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Which part of Allschwil? The more usual route is tram 1 to Brausebad then tram 6. Otherwise walk the 200 or so yards to Heuwaage and pick up the 6 there.

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
Just to revive this excellent thread with a related question ..

I am trying to get to Allschwil tomorrow and SBB website tells me that I need bus number 48 from Basel SBB.

Please could anyone post up a handy picture (preferably showing bus size and colour) as to where I could get my bus from at SBB? Go through SBB practically daily but just don't remember having seen the number 48
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SBB Mobile and Online Schedules - Missing Bus Routes? jiggy_fly Transportation/driving 9 14.04.2012 17:04
For rent: secure undergroud car parking, Wallisellen, 8304 (~2 mins to SBB station) CanadianKiwiBrit Property wanted 0 14.02.2011 23:25
Bus Basel - Zurich Kaskitta Transportation/driving 1 13.11.2009 02:53
bus hire in basel travnett Transportation/driving 0 18.11.2007 15:59
Bus tickets in Basel banthecrab Transportation/driving 3 04.05.2007 20:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0