Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 25.01.2012, 22:18
quark's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aargh-Ow!
Posts: 1,327
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,838 Times in 756 Posts
quark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Just to revive this excellent thread with a related question ..

I am trying to get to Allschwil tomorrow and SBB website tells me that I need bus number 48 from Basel SBB.

Please could anyone post up a handy picture (preferably showing bus size and colour) as to where I could get my bus from at SBB? Go through SBB practically daily but just don't remember having seen the number 48
I think it's green, small (i.e non-bendy), and parks up behind the 50 at the exit of the French bit of SBB (so walking up towards Markthalle).

I'm only 70% sure because I've not been on it, but I've seen it once or twice.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 25.01.2012, 22:20
quark's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aargh-Ow!
Posts: 1,327
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,838 Times in 756 Posts
quark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Which part of Allschwil? The more usual route is tram 1 to Brausebad then tram 6. Otherwise walk the 200 or so yards to Heuwaage and pick up the 6 there.

Cheers,
Nick
... or tram 1 to Schützenhaus and then bus 33 from there, which goes to most of the stops the 48 does.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 25.01.2012, 22:22
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,181
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,522 Times in 1,309 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Which part of Allschwil?
Dorf. The bus thing threw me, but using it gives me a 28 minute journey time from Liestal to Allschwil Dorf, which is pretty impressive .. couldn't do it that fast by car.

Quote:
View Post
I think it's green, small (i.e non-bendy), and parks up behind the 50 at the exit of the French bit of SBB (so walking up towards Markthalle).

I'm only 70% sure because I've not been on it, but I've seen it once or twice.
Ohhh .. liking the detail. But this info is no use without pictures ...
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 25.01.2012, 22:31
quark's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aargh-Ow!
Posts: 1,327
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,838 Times in 756 Posts
quark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Dorf. The bus thing threw me, but using it gives me a 28 minute journey time from Liestal to Allschwil Dorf, which is pretty impressive .. couldn't do it that fast by car.



Ohhh .. liking the detail. But this info is no use without pictures ...
Look what Google threw up



Looks like I underestimated your bus' bendiness
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank quark for this useful post:
  #105  
Old 25.01.2012, 22:40
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,181
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,522 Times in 1,309 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Look what Google threw up



Looks like I underestimated your bus' bendiness
Too marvellous! Am printing and will head off tomorrow armed with pictorial evidence!
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 26.01.2012, 10:25
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy McModface
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,506
Groaned at 57 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,291 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Too marvellous! Am printing and will head off tomorrow armed with pictorial evidence!
A word of warning though. Don't try to catch it where it's pictured. That's an accident blackspot. A tram might fall over on top of you.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12.11.2013, 16:13
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TriRegio
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 13 Posts
TinPanFool is considered knowledgeableTinPanFool is considered knowledgeableTinPanFool is considered knowledgeable
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Woohoo! My life is complete! I saw the orange bus, I saw the orange bus, I saw the orange bus!

I saw an airport bus today. It was white.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 14.12.2013, 10:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greece , moving to Switzerland
Posts: 89
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
asus14 has no particular reputation at present
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Ok ! We decided to visit Basel for a few days before moving in.... Now what color is the bus???? Can you decide?
Ok serious now, we don't want to spend a fortune on tickets. Which is the cheaper way? I guess moving around with a bus. We also want to see some places in Basel Land. Can someone tell me what is going on with the tickets? Zones etc. the site wasn't really clear to me.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 14.12.2013, 10:53
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,435
Groaned at 163 Times in 128 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Ok ! We decided to visit Basel for a few days before moving in.... Now what color is the bus???? Can you decide?
Ok serious now, we don't want to spend a fortune on tickets. Which is the cheaper way? I guess moving around with a bus. We also want to see some places in Basel Land. Can someone tell me what is going on with the tickets? Zones etc. the site wasn't really clear to me.
If you're keen to explore, probably the thing to do would be to buy some tickets that are all-day or multi-day - right in "central" Basel, at Barfusserplatz, is a BVB center, they can probably help you sort out what will suit best with the added benefit of not having to feed tons of coins into machines.

If I am rambling about Basel and surrounds (and wasn't going to go anywhere often enough to get a monthly pass), I usually get a day ticket (top of the list on the linked page).

If I know I'm heading into Germany or France for something, and rambling around, I get a tri-regio ticket, as that pays to get me around ALL of Basel as well as into the close-by cities across the borders.

Lastly, is the multi-day passes that cover the whole TNW region, which I believe includes the "green" bus and tram lines as well as the "yellow" ones taking further out into BL as well as some into Solothurn.

The zone question is best answered with the basic map of the line coverage, found with this pdf. For a day ticket (again, first option) nearly everything on the map is covered, only lacking zone 12. (I've only been as far as Therwil out that way, not sure what is beyond that may be of interest. )
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Peg A for this useful post:
  #110  
Old 14.12.2013, 20:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greece , moving to Switzerland
Posts: 89
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
asus14 has no particular reputation at present
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

We haven't made a plan yet, since our visit is on January. But I believe I want to see the city itself and some of the cities/ villages in Baselland . And probably some job agencies to leave my CV!
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 21.01.2014, 18:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greece , moving to Switzerland
Posts: 89
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
asus14 has no particular reputation at present
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
We haven't made a plan yet, since our visit is on January. But I believe I want to see the city itself and some of the cities/ villages in Baselland . And probably some job agencies to leave my CV!
Update: we will have to go to Bern and maybe to Zurich. So do you believe it would be a better idea to rent a car instead of going up and down the buses or trains?
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 21.01.2014, 18:24
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,218
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,173 Times in 2,521 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Update: we will have to go to Bern and maybe to Zurich. So do you believe it would be a better idea to rent a car instead of going up and down the buses or trains?
If you are just planning to be in the urban areas, I would stick to trains and buses/trams
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Deep Purple for this useful post:
  #113  
Old 21.01.2014, 18:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greece , moving to Switzerland
Posts: 89
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
asus14 has no particular reputation at present
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
If you are just planning to be in the urban areas, I would stick to trains and buses/trams
Yes but making a small research (quite in a rush though) I found out that trains are quite expensive for us. We will be the whole family. While the car rented from euro airport is much more economic . As for the buses I couldn't find a website . Can you advise me so?
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 21.01.2014, 18:51
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,218
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,173 Times in 2,521 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Yes but making a small research (quite in a rush though) I found out that trains are quite expensive for us. We will be the whole family. While the car rented from euro airport is much more economic . As for the buses I couldn't find a website . Can you advise me so?
I can see the logic of a car with a family

These are the main public transport sites for Bern and Zurich

http://www.bernmobil.ch/Seiten/aktue...d=1213&lang=de (Only in German. You may need Google translate etc)

http://www.zvv.ch/en/routes-and-zones/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Deep Purple for this useful post:
  #115  
Old 21.01.2014, 18:58
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,310
Groaned at 210 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 12,968 Times in 5,329 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

SBB is the national rail network but the timetable engine on its website covers all public transport, including at least three of trains, buses, ferries and donkeys. You can also buy tickets online from this website, and if you download their app to your phone or tablet (even Asus tablets), you can have tickets sent straight to your device.


http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 21.01.2014, 19:00
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,185
Groaned at 113 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,137 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Yes but making a small research (quite in a rush though) I found out that trains are quite expensive for us. We will be the whole family. While the car rented from euro airport is much more economic . As for the buses I couldn't find a website . Can you advise me so?
How old are your children?

You can buy family passes (30 CHF) IIRC per child and the travel for free when with the parent. Ask for a Junior-Karte.

That lasts 12 months and covers all public transport (again IIRC).

Can be purchased on day of travel from an SBB manned kiosk or counter in travel centre. You'll need ID the first time you buy one. I am not sure if they only apply to residents.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #117  
Old 21.01.2014, 19:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greece , moving to Switzerland
Posts: 89
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
asus14 has no particular reputation at present
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
How old are your children?

You can buy family passes (30 CHF) IIRC per child and the travel for free when with the parent. Ask for a Junior-Karte.

That lasts 12 months and covers all public transport (again IIRC).

Can be purchased on day of travel from an SBB manned kiosk or counter in travel centre. You'll need ID the first time you buy one. I am not sure if they only apply to residents.
My children are 11 and 13. I will search for that card !
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 21.01.2014, 19:04
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greece , moving to Switzerland
Posts: 89
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
asus14 has no particular reputation at present
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
SBB is the national rail network but the timetable engine on its website covers all public transport, including at least three of trains, buses, ferries and donkeys. You can also buy tickets online from this website, and if you download their app to your phone or tablet (even Asus tablets), you can have tickets sent straight to your device.


http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
Well my tablet is not Asus, it's the other A brand. Wrong guessing!
And I think I will try the donkey tip!
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 21.01.2014, 19:06
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,310
Groaned at 210 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 12,968 Times in 5,329 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
How old are your children?

You can buy family passes (30 CHF) IIRC per child and the travel for free when with the parent. Ask for a Junior-Karte.

That lasts 12 months and covers all public transport (again IIRC).

Can be purchased on day of travel from an SBB manned kiosk or counter in travel centre. You'll need ID the first time you buy one. I am not sure if they only apply to residents.
Correct in both respects. Applies to children up to 16 (kids under 6 travel free).


OP, if you plan on doing a lot of travelling (even in a short time), you can buy a "Halbtax" card which halves the price of most journeys. It's a little pricey, though, at CHF 175 per adult. You'd need to work out whether it would be economic for you.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 21.01.2014, 19:10
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 7,310
Groaned at 210 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 12,968 Times in 5,329 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Where EXACTLY is the] bus station at Basel SBB?

Quote:
View Post
Well my tablet is not Asus, it's the other A brand. Wrong guessing!
But your user name is ...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SBB Mobile and Online Schedules - Missing Bus Routes? jiggy_fly Transportation/driving 9 14.04.2012 17:04
For rent: secure undergroud car parking, Wallisellen, 8304 (~2 mins to SBB station) CanadianKiwiBrit Property wanted 0 14.02.2011 23:25
Bus Basel - Zurich Kaskitta Transportation/driving 1 13.11.2009 02:53
bus hire in basel travnett Transportation/driving 0 18.11.2007 15:59
Bus tickets in Basel banthecrab Transportation/driving 3 04.05.2007 20:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0