Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:07
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich (Uetikon)
Posts: 225
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 195 Times in 57 Posts
Mr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of many
How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Hello Efers,

Having been shoved into the plane like sheep from Zurich airport with Easy Jet for last 5 trips I decided to look for alternatives. The main advantage of EasyJet for me was flying to Luton Airport which is close to my home town Cambridge (I pay 50 quid to the pre-arranged cab which is convenient) and I always thought they are cheaper.

Last week I decided to look for alternatives and found a BA flight from Zurich to London City at 220 pounds return compared to the Easy Jet one which was 240 (plus a debit/credit card fee), plus BA treats you better, gives you free meal and a free luggage allowance. My cab to Cambridge won't be as cheap but hey I can always get a train (with 2 changes). Why has EasyJet gone so cocky over the years? Why is Ryan Air not flying from Switzerland to Stanstead anymore?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mr. Happy for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:11
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Quote:
View Post
Hello Efers,

Having been shoved into the plane like sheep from Zurich airport with Easy Jet for last 5 trips I decided to look for alternatives. The main advantage of EasyJet for me was flying to Luton Airport which is close to my home town Cambridge (I pay 50 quid to the pre-arranged cab which is convenient) and I always thought they are cheaper.

Last week I decided to look for alternatives and found a BA flight from Zurich to London City at 220 pounds return compared to the Easy Jet one which was 240 (plus a debit/credit card fee), plus BA treats you better, gives you free meal and a free luggage allowance. My cab to Cambridge won't be as cheap but hey I can always get a train (with 2 changes). Why has EasyJet gone so cocky over the years? Why is Ryan Air not flying from Switzerland to Stanstead anymore?
I have just booked some easy jet flights ZH LGW ZH for £59 return. Had I not had an original flight starting in London which I cancelled it would have cost £65.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:11
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

I always check BA, Easyjet and Swiss before I go back to the motherland. Swiss can have some really good deals.

http://booking.swiss.com/web/Swiss-O...d-Ireland.html

£220 return seems very expensive regardless
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 432
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 184 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
It's clear. The easyjet flight you looked at is nearly full so you pay more to subsidise everyone else on the flight who already bought tickets. This is normal. Same thing for me to Manchester with Swiss or sleazy. Book early, sleazy is cheaper. Leave it a while and swiss can be cheaper.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Out in the Stick - Zug-ish
Posts: 86
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
snoopy1664 has earned some respectsnoopy1664 has earned some respect
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

To my understanding all airlines have classes of seats at set prices (I think with the major carriers these correspond to the single letter class you might see on your ticket e.g. M, Y etc.).

The low cost carriers are unbeatable on price at the lowest tier, but as they sell out you are going to get overlaps with what classes are available from each airline e.g. what is left from Easyjet is only their 100 GBP fare but BA might still have seats in their 90 GBP fare.

I know people working in Europe who book their tickets as soon as they become available on Easyjet i.e. months in advance. I guess this is the best approach. If you are booking close to the flight date you really need to shop around.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:23
KB88111
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

it's all about the upselling. Travel alone with an approved handbaggage item - easyJet will probably win. Fly mob-handed with normal luggage and the old-style airlines will win.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:35
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,273
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,568 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Quote:
View Post
I always check BA, Easyjet and Swiss before I go back to the motherland. Swiss can have some really good deals.

http://booking.swiss.com/web/Swiss-O...d-Ireland.html

£220 return seems very expensive regardless
I paid just over £100 return on Swiss from London City to Zurich a couple of months ago. With Swiss there are no hidden extras. You even get a sandwich, drink and bar of chocolate included. That is about £10 on Easyjet.

Try to be flexible on days/times to get the best prices.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Deep Purple for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:37
KB88111
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

also be selective with your airport, some have taxes that are higher than the fare.

if you're flexible, you save
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Always check Swiss and BA before easyjet I guess. i do not fly to the UK but I had such awful experience with EJ that I decided I would not do that to myself anymore...I know it works perfect for some people but the awful lines and not knowing your seat annoy me very much. Yes i am a control freak
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:50
jaudi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 574
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 495 Times in 231 Posts
jaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Just in easyjet's defence - I recently flew zurich - london with BA and easyjet - better legroom on easyjet !
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:58
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

I found the online check in system for easyjet much easier. That's as far as the compliments go.

Well some of the cabin crew aren't too bad looking either. They all seem quite old (but more competent) on the BA or Swiss flights.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 05.07.2011, 18:58
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

I guess BA are finally awakening and realisng they can't go on treating customers the way they used to.

AFAIK Easyjet was the first airline in Europe to offer things like single trips at reasonable prices, or even to use a genuinely usable web booking interface. If Easyjet hadn't forced the others to move they probabyl would have stayed in their 1970s mindset.

I'm not a big fan of airline food anyway, or of Kindergarten style being told where to sit. I enjoy the no-nonsense cheeriness of Easyjet. BA would have to be seriously cheaper than Easyjet to make me consider switching.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05.07.2011, 19:03
KB88111
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

actually as an oft-single traveller not flying to the UK with easyJet, I find the following nice about the airline:

- sit where you want. That's usually where I want no matter when I board the plane - yes, I enjoy splitting the aisle-window crew who got priority boarding for an upsell.
- the crew - they get to be themselves....the Irish pilot speaking Italian telling us that his Dutch co-pilot would inform the Dutch of what's going on was almost as funny as the whole cabin crew who were there to enjoy their job.
- I do of course use Malpensa a lot and easyJet get the shitty little terminal. No delays at all, free motorbike parking, what more could a lady want?

Horses for courses, I say. I'm doing family trips to the UK and US and going from Agno with Swiss
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05.07.2011, 19:07
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Quote:
View Post
Hello Efers,

Having been shoved into the plane like sheep from Zurich airport with Easy Jet for last 5 trips I decided to look for alternatives. The main advantage of EasyJet for me was flying to Luton Airport which is close to my home town Cambridge (I pay 50 quid to the pre-arranged cab which is convenient) and I always thought they are cheaper.

Last week I decided to look for alternatives and found a BA flight from Zurich to London City at 220 pounds return compared to the Easy Jet one which was 240 (plus a debit/credit card fee), plus BA treats you better, gives you free meal and a free luggage allowance. My cab to Cambridge won't be as cheap but hey I can always get a train (with 2 changes). Why has EasyJet gone so cocky over the years? Why is Ryan Air not flying from Switzerland to Stanstead anymore?
I've flown EJ once and I will never do it again. They take out all the of the frills (and I do mean ALL of them) and then charge you if you want them back.

Want to take luggage? $$$
Want to eat something? $$$
Want to drink something? $$$
Want to get on the plane first for choice seating? $$$

So while the ticket price "looks" cheaper, by the time you get done buying your frills back you've had a much less pleasant experience and spent more money.

And that's my two cents.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 05.07.2011, 19:11
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Quote:
View Post
I've flown EJ once and I will never do it again. They take out all the of the frills (and I do mean ALL of them) and then charge you if you want them back.

Want to take luggage? $$$
Want to eat something? $$$
Want to drink something? $$$
Want to get on the plane first for choice seating? $$$

So while the ticket price "looks" cheaper, by the time you get done buying your frills back you've had a much less pleasant experience and spent more money.

And that's my two cents.
They don't take them all out. That's left to Ryanair. Who charge you one fee for checking in online and another for checking in at the airport. Whatever way you go you have to pay extra!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 05.07.2011, 19:18
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Quote:
View Post
They don't take them all out. That's left to Ryanair. Who charge you one fee for checking in online and another for checking in at the airport. Whatever way you go you have to pay extra!

How long before you gotta put 2Euro in the door just to use the loo?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05.07.2011, 19:20
KB88111
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Quote:
View Post
How long before you gotta put 2Euro in the door just to use the loo?
seriously, if you need to use the crapper on a short-haul, you deserve to pay €2

if you're going to pay €2, do get value for money
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05.07.2011, 19:28
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

Quote:
View Post
I've flown EJ once and I will never do it again. They take out all the of the frills (and I do mean ALL of them) and then charge you if you want them back.

Want to take luggage? $$$
Want to eat something? $$$
Want to drink something? $$$
Want to get on the plane first for choice seating? $$$

So while the ticket price "looks" cheaper, by the time you get done buying your frills back you've had a much less pleasant experience and spent more money.

And that's my two cents.
Try looking at it from the other side.

If I'm off to Barcelona for a weekend I've got all the gear I need in my hand luggage.

If fly with BA I'm

- contributing towards a luggage allowance I'm not using
- part of my fare is going to some frequent flyer program in which I'm not participating because I don't fly often enough with the same airline.
- BA food in economy class isn't exactly worth getting excited about
- choice of drinks is fairly pathetic, unless you happen to think Carlsberg is chic.

So in summary, I'm paying for loads of stuff I don't appreciate and don't want.

On the other hand with EJ.

- if I'm late to check in I can jump the queue
- check in is very simple and I don't need a printed ticket. I once actually booked it online on my laptop while standing in the check-in queue.
- staff are laid back and funny and make you feel good.
- because they make money on the on-board food and drinks they actually put some effort into making sure you're happy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 05.07.2011, 19:37
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

hmm my last and final experience with easyjet

let you board the plan, sit on the runway for 4 hours

ok everyone to make you more comfortable we'll unload you, you can get some food and then get back on, leave your luggage here

like suckers we all got off

while we're all using the £4 voucher they unload the luggage and the plane takes off empty, in the mean time all easyjet staff have buggered off and called the police.

police tell us to leave departures and goto the easyjet desk, easyjet have cancelled 3 planes at the same time, there are over 1000 people trying to rebook with 2 counter staff

its ok you can get on the next plane tomorrow, that has 2 spare seats (our flight was full) we don't fly the day after, and we can't tell you about the flight in 3 days time

forget that, get on a train, and fly out of london instead, wait months for easyjet to reimburse, of course they don't give the manditory eu compensation.

so never NEVER again with these lying idiots.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 05.07.2011, 19:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How come BA is cheaper than EasyJet??

You were very unlucky- I've flown with EasyJ 100s of times, and I've never ever had a problem of any kind.

Basically- just 2 words -supply and demand.

If you want to save money though- why take a cab to Cambridge???
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
british airways, easy jet, london, zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So WHAT is actually CHEAPER in CH? Guest Daily life 87 27.10.2010 00:33
Cheaper alternative to Jungfraujoch Deep Purple Travel/day trips/free time 7 01.10.2009 16:11
Cheaper hotel at Zermatt? Jasper Travel/day trips/free time 6 07.07.2008 01:37
Registering .ch domain [just got cheaper] Lob TV/internet/telephone 17 11.07.2007 21:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0