Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.07.2011, 16:06
Digger's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Begnins
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Digger has earned some respectDigger has earned some respect
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Just been stung for 350 CHF!!

Fair cop I suppose as I was doing 66 in a 50. Not long over here from the UK and still getting used to thinking/driving in kph - it just didn't seem like I was going that fast at the time.

I consider myself very fortunate as a Swiss colleague reckons I must have been right on the edge of receiving an automatic ban. So it's an expensive lesson but one well-learned, I'm going to literally 'crawl' through 50-zones from now on and just have to get used to being tailgated
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Digger for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 09.07.2011, 16:29
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,512
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,650 Times in 18,688 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
I KNOW a bugatti will not do 30kmph.
I've seen one do it (at the traffic circle at the Lugano train station)!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09.07.2011, 16:45
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
Well, the rule is not 50 ± 2. May be it's just to let you know that they care, that the police is out there making sure the rules are respected. Just think about it with a cold head.

(In case this is ambiguous, this means that you win the square of gold award for the day.)

Last edited by tearley; 09.07.2011 at 16:59.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tearley for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 09.07.2011, 23:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 46
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
wpp1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

I got one recently too. I saw the flash so knew it was acoming.

Took one month and a day to arrive ... foolishly I was begining to think I had gotten away with it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09.07.2011, 23:45
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
You would think that since they'd get more money they'd do it that way. They could call it a "tax".


Thank goodness there aren't any points. I'd be forced back onto the trams by the end of August.
But then it wouldn't be accurate, and this is Switzerland.

I find that a GPS and cruise control contributed greatly to the maintenance of my driver's license.

Seriously, your GPS is way more accurate than your in car speedometer and you should drive as fast as is legal and safe if you like. The cruise control keeps one from driving quickly in situations that might call for it and your judgement tells you are safe, even thought those speeds are technically illegal and you may get nabbed for it.

Good luck staying out of trouble.

Last edited by the_clangers; 10.07.2011 at 07:52. Reason: sloppy syntax
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09.07.2011, 23:48
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
But then it wouldn't be accurate, and this is Switzerland.

I find that a GPS and cruise control contributed greatly to the maintenance of my driver's license.

Seriously, your GPS is way more accurate than your in car speedometer and you should drive as fast as is legal and safe if you like. The cruise control keeps one from driving quickly in situations that might call for it and your judgement tells you are safe, even thought it is technically illegal and you may get nabbed for it.

Good luck staying out of trouble.
Wow, is cruise control illegal in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tearley for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 09.07.2011, 23:59
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
Seriously, your GPS is way more accurate than your in car speedometer
This is only true under conditions of zero acceleration. My in car speedo is pretty good for a six year old Mini so my GPS isn't 'way' more accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10.07.2011, 00:17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 481
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 267 Times in 168 Posts
gourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeable
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
I've seen one do it (at the traffic circle at the Lugano train station)!

Tom
did you see spot the pair of snails towing the car?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10.07.2011, 00:28
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,659
Groaned at 383 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,457 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
Wow, is cruise control illegal in Switzerland?
'course not...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 10.07.2011, 00:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,894
Groaned at 97 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 921 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
This is only true under conditions of zero acceleration. My in car speedo is pretty good for a six year old Mini so my GPS isn't 'way' more accurate.

yeah it is. It will always be a few kph below what your speedo is showing thus not being accurate.....
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10.07.2011, 07:50
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
Wow, is cruise control illegal in Switzerland?
No. I meant that it keeps you from getting into situations where you are driving faster than the legal limit because it is perfectly safe for everything but your wallet.

Quote:
View Post
This is only true under conditions of zero acceleration. My in car speedo is pretty good for a six year old Mini so my GPS isn't 'way' more accurate.
While what you say is true regarding GPS, it is also true for speedometers. If you are accelerating you cannot really be watching your instruments with the kind of accuracy that the legal requirements necessitate. You have to stop accelerating sooner than you get up to speed otherwise you would be over by the time you let up because of overshoot. You simply ignore the hysteresis inherent in the system.

I am just saying that all speedometers in CH are a few percent slow as is required by law. If they are not then someone has modified the car in some fashion or the equipment is malfunctioning. Eg. my wife's Audi and my BMW both read high by about 4 to 6 % as was required.

If one likes to drive quickly and feel the acceleration and one has a car that can do it well and one keeps to the speed limit then there is a very real possibility of accidentally breaking the speed limit. In all but one of my tickets I received whilst living in Switzerland I had no intention of breaking the speed limit. But intent doesn't count as it's more like "tag, gotcha!"
__________________
Many men, of course, became extremely rich, but this was perfectly natural, and nothing to be ashamed of, because no one was really poor -- at least no one worth speaking of. - Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10.07.2011, 10:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
I am just saying that all speedometers in CH are a few percent slow as is required by law.
Not required by law but is required by self-preservation on the part of the car manufacturers. Imagine the lawsuits resulting from fines if speedos under registered.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 10.07.2011, 11:59
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
Not required by law but is required by self-preservation on the part of the car manufacturers. Imagine the lawsuits resulting from fines if speedos under registered.
When I was young (which was a long, long time ago, oh boy), the traffic law said that a speedo may show between 5 % too little to 10 % too much. The idea was that indicating too much doesn't result in speedin -- the lawmakers believing that drivers stick to what they see on the speedo. Go figure...).

On the other hand, 5% got subtracted from the radar reading anyway before calculating the rest. That was the speedo error allowance so to say, so that, if your speedo underindicated, you were still withing the legal range when sticking to the speedo.

Not exactly great math, but you know how politicians and desktop administrators often are, and the basic idea is reasonable.

I don't know if this practice still is the same.
__________________

"This is AMAZING! I have the exact amount of money Joe Biden has cost us playing golf in my sweatpants pocket!" — Kona Lowell

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10.07.2011, 13:01
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
Just been stung for 350 CHF!!

Fair cop I suppose as I was doing 66 in a 50. Not long over here from the UK and still getting used to thinking/driving in kph - it just didn't seem like I was going that fast at the time.

I consider myself very fortunate as a Swiss colleague reckons I must have been right on the edge of receiving an automatic ban. So it's an expensive lesson but one well-learned, I'm going to literally 'crawl' through 50-zones from now on and just have to get used to being tailgated

Ya in the US when someone is going slower than I want to go, I can just go around them. But in CH it seems like everyone just goes as fast as the car in front of the line.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10.07.2011, 13:14
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,805
Groaned at 611 Times in 517 Posts
Thanked 21,736 Times in 11,416 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
When I was young (which was a long, long time ago, oh boy), the traffic law said that a speedo may show between 5 % too little to 10 % too much. The idea was that indicating too much doesn't result in speedin -- the lawmakers believing that drivers stick to what they see on the speedo. Go figure...).

On the other hand, 5% got subtracted from the radar reading anyway before calculating the rest. That was the speedo error allowance so to say, so that, if your speedo underindicated, you were still withing the legal range when sticking to the speedo.

Not exactly great math, but you know how politicians and desktop administrators often are, and the basic idea is reasonable.

I don't know if this practice still is the same.
Now the speedo can show you are up to 10% quicker than your real speed but the margin is 0% on showing you are going slower than your real speed.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 10.07.2011, 13:37
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
Ya in the US when someone is going slower than I want to go, I can just go around them. But in CH it seems like everyone just goes as fast as the car in front of the line.
In the US you often have roads as wide and as straight as an airport runway. You may also have a car that goes off like a rocket, and it doesn't strain your wallet if that acceleration costs you a quart of gas, because fuel is so stinking cheap (yes, it still is!).

In Switzerland , it very often is difficult to pass a slowpoke without significant risk, unless you have some 250 HP under the hood. On Swiss roads, I rather stay behind a crawler for a while than putting my and other people's lives at risk just for arriving at my destination half a minute earlier.
__________________

"This is AMAZING! I have the exact amount of money Joe Biden has cost us playing golf in my sweatpants pocket!" — Kona Lowell

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 10.07.2011, 16:16
Mark75's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: by the lake (either one)
Posts: 2,510
Groaned at 45 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,363 Posts
Mark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
In Switzerland , it very often is difficult to pass a slowpoke without significant risk, unless you have some 250 HP under the hood.
That's exactly why one needs a sufficiently powerful car in this country despite low speed limits and high fines. With all those turns and the almost complete absence of passing lanes one simply needs plenty of power to pass safely.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mark75 for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 10.07.2011, 16:53
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,516
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
That's exactly why one needs a sufficiently powerful car in this country despite low speed limits and high fines. With all those turns and the almost complete absence of passing lanes one simply needs plenty of power to pass safely.
Take your time man. What you gain is ridiculous compared with the expenses and the risk. I was like you 40 years ago, but I had to learn a lot. Real life can be a slow but good teacher.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10.07.2011, 17:23
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
But then it wouldn't be accurate, and this is Switzerland.

I find that a GPS and cruise control contributed greatly to the maintenance of my driver's license.

Seriously, your GPS is way more accurate than your in car speedometer and you should drive as fast as is legal and safe if you like. The cruise control keeps one from driving quickly in situations that might call for it and your judgement tells you are safe, even thought those speeds are technically illegal and you may get nabbed for it.

Good luck staying out of trouble.
Surely I can agree that a satelite guided system will give a more accurately rate of movement. But... I've never seen a car with an inaccurate spedometer unless it was extremely old and had never been calibrated.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10.07.2011, 17:31
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My First Speeding Ticket

Quote:
View Post
In the US you often have roads as wide and as straight as an airport runway. You may also have a car that goes off like a rocket, and it doesn't strain your wallet if that acceleration costs you a quart of gas, because fuel is so stinking cheap (yes, it still is!).

In Switzerland , it very often is difficult to pass a slowpoke without significant risk, unless you have some 250 HP under the hood. On Swiss roads, I rather stay behind a crawler for a while than putting my and other people's lives at risk just for arriving at my destination half a minute earlier.
...and yet the Germans still drive faster. Shoot... even the French and the Swiss drive faster. Legally anyway.

In the Northeast US, the posted speed limit is 65mph (105kph). As you go south and west it gets faster, up to 70 (113kph) in the Southeast, and I think 75 (120kph) or even 80 (129) in some western states. People speed anyway. Of course, the faster the posted limit, the less tolerance there is.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ever had a speeding ticket in Italy? walterguariento Transportation/driving 31 21.07.2015 13:18
fighting a speeding ticket sarah_bell Transportation/driving 81 18.10.2010 00:58
Fighting a speeding ticket mirfield Jokes/funnies 14 04.10.2010 11:25
Speeding Ticket bearlite Transportation/driving 8 18.04.2008 14:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0