Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.08.2011, 14:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bernibarnes has no particular reputation at present
License confusion

so I have been travelling between Zurich/London/Sydney for the past 18 months while my husband is working in Zurich. When we lived in England, I drove with my Australian license until I had been living in the UK CONTINUOUSLY for 1 year, then I changed it for a UK license. I had been in the UK on and off for 2 years before I changed my license, but was told that they count from the last entry into the UK for the 1 year to change your license point.
I had assumed the same went for here and have not changed my license, however I do have a foreign resident visa that I got when my husband first moved here 18 months ago. The last time I came back to Zurich from the UK was a month ago. Am I ok or should I have changed my license? This only came up recently and the person I spoke to was concerned I should have changed my license for a swiss one already
I hope this makes sense!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.08.2011, 14:52
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 107
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
Monkey72 has made some interesting contributions
Re: License confusion

You probably should have - your entry date into the country doesn't change even if you get a new / different kind of permit.

Go and try and change it now - I changed mine after 2 years and they didn't even bat an eyelid.

Worst case, you might have to take your test again, which would suck, admittedly....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.08.2011, 14:53
taskalem's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 242
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 96 Posts
taskalem is considered knowledgeabletaskalem is considered knowledgeabletaskalem is considered knowledgeable
Re: License confusion

If you have a residence permit here, you should have changed your driving license in the first 1 year, if not you are safe

If yes, immediately go to the "Service des Automobiles" and talk to them, they should show you a way how to proceed; otherwise if you are caught by the police with a UK license, then they will ban you from driving.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank taskalem for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 15.08.2011, 14:55
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,327
Groaned at 169 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,236 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: License confusion

Quote:
View Post
so I have been travelling between Zurich/London/Sydney for the past 18 months while my husband is working in Zurich. When we lived in England, I drove with my Australian license until I had been living in the UK CONTINUOUSLY for 1 year, then I changed it for a UK license. I had been in the UK on and off for 2 years before I changed my license, but was told that they count from the last entry into the UK for the 1 year to change your license point.
I had assumed the same went for here and have not changed my license, however I do have a foreign resident visa that I got when my husband first moved here 18 months ago. The last time I came back to Zurich from the UK was a month ago. Am I ok or should I have changed my license? This only came up recently and the person I spoke to was concerned I should have changed my license for a swiss one already
I hope this makes sense!!
You should have converted your license within 12 months of moving here (the date of your residence permit). Go to the Strassenverkehrsamt and ask them for the form to do it now, and cross your fingers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 15.08.2011, 15:05
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,212
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: License confusion

Quote:
View Post
If you have a residence permit here, you should have changed your driving license in the first 1 year, if not you are safe

If yes, immediately go to the "Service des Automobiles" and talk to them, they should show you a way how to proceed; otherwise if you are caught by the police with a UK license, then they will ban you from driving.

Or as it is called in Zürich, "das (?) Strassenverkehrsamt" http://www.stva.zh.ch/internet/siche...umschreib.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 15.08.2011, 15:18
taskalem's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 242
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 96 Posts
taskalem is considered knowledgeabletaskalem is considered knowledgeabletaskalem is considered knowledgeable
Re: License confusion

Quote:
View Post
Go to the Strassenverkehrsamt and ask them for the form to do it now, and cross your fingers.
Thanks for the German translation of "Service des Automobiles"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.08.2011, 15:48
kayo's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 91
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 30 Posts
kayo is considered knowledgeablekayo is considered knowledgeablekayo is considered knowledgeable
Re: License confusion

Just to clarify.... you do not need to convert your license within 12 months.

I specifically asked this when I got my license converted. And I was told that the rule says, you can drive for 12 months with a license from another country. After that you cannot drive on that license.

You can convert your license at anytime. There is no time restriction for that. I got mine after about 22 months of being here. And there was no issue despite asking the above question.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kayo for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 15.08.2011, 16:01
seyon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Olten
Posts: 471
Groaned at 17 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 74 Posts
seyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeable
Re: License confusion

Quote:
View Post
Just to clarify.... you do not need to convert your license within 12 months.

I specifically asked this when I got my license converted. And I was told that the rule says, you can drive for 12 months with a license from another country. After that you cannot drive on that license.

You can convert your license at anytime. There is no time restriction for that. I got mine after about 22 months of being here. And there was no issue despite asking the above question.
First time I hear that, but makes a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Swiss driving license back to a UK driving license camilla Permits/visas/government 7 18.07.2011 23:52
Zone Confusion Deepunair84296 Transportation/driving 2 08.10.2008 19:59
getting a car license when holding a indian car driving license gundasi Transportation/driving 3 28.06.2008 00:26
Purchasing a car on international license and alter obtaining swiss license Skyfish Transportation/driving 0 17.11.2007 22:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0