English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Commute from Lausanne to Geneva (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/123362-commute-lausanne-geneva.html)

Lejoker 25.08.2011 06:49

Commute from Lausanne to Geneva
 
I live in Lausanne & will be working in Geneva. Would there be an 'abonnement' for travel between the two cities daily?

Thanks

Mud 25.08.2011 07:14

Re: Commute from Lausanne to Geneva
 
You can do a point to point travel card which is about 2800 CHF Lausanne-Geneva for one year, but as that is only a bit cheaper than a GA (3300 CHF) I'd get the GA in your case and be able to travel anywhere anytime.

www.sbb.ch

Lejoker 25.08.2011 08:43

Re: Commute from Lausanne to Geneva
 
wow that is quite some CHF...but thus far, I've found no alternatives.

tiny_tim 30.08.2011 11:25

Re: Commute from Lausanne to Geneva
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lejoker (Post 1314087)
wow that is quite some CHF...but thus far, I've found no alternatives.

Compare cost of train journey vs. car ownership from Lausanne to Geneva on a monthly/yearly basis, plus the stress of driving each day ( I do not say there is no stress on super charged up trains at peak times...).

As Mud said probably best bet is the General Abonement for unlimited travel in CH, including most city transport systems (bus, tram, etc.) once you get in to a city/town.

PaddyG 30.08.2011 11:38

Re: Commute from Lausanne to Geneva
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny_tim (Post 1320124)
As Mud said probably best bet is the General Abonement for unlimited travel in CH, including most city transport systems (bus, tram, etc.) once you get in to a city/town.

..As well as on many (all?) boat services and reductions on most privately run railways and ski-lift passes

monkeynut 30.08.2011 11:40

Re: Commute from Lausanne to Geneva
 
never, ever consider commuting from lausanne to geneva by car.. from traffic reports i hear daily on the radio

Guest 30.08.2011 11:40

Re: Commute from Lausanne to Geneva
 
You might find after a while that you can do a car-share with others who work at the same place. Put an ad on your work-place notice board- then give them money for petrol.

Where we are there are 100s of frontaliers who come over- all from the same place and going more or less to the same work-places, with just 1 guy in each car! Silly. There should be more incentives for car-sharing.

dennis 04.09.2011 22:20

Re: Commute from Lausanne to Geneva
 
I travel from Lausanne to NYon everyday and i suggest the best bet is a GA card. It costs 3300 CHF but its worth is as you can go around anywhere anytime without any thinking.

Save those small 2-3 CHF everytime and be free to roam anywhere. :D

runningdeer 05.09.2011 11:52

Re: Commute from Lausanne to Geneva
 
Quote:

You might find after a while that you can do a car-share with others who work at the same place. Put an ad on your work-place notice board- then give them money for petrol.

Where we are there are 100s of frontaliers who come over- all from the same place and going more or less to the same work-places, with just 1 guy in each car! Silly. There should be more incentives for car-sharing.
Yeah, I generally agree with carsharing, but with the gridlock and near daily accident levels on the Geneva-Lausanne autoroute, even a carshare will get you nowhere but stuck in traffic most days. The roads are oversaturated as is, and unless everyone were to change their mindset overnight and start carsharing, the problem just gets worse. I'd stick with the train for peace of mind.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0