Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07.09.2011, 11:04
WelshBoyo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zug
Posts: 153
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 43 Posts
WelshBoyo has earned some respectWelshBoyo has earned some respect
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
WelshBoyo: Is it a Mk IV or V? I had a Mk IV and it was much cheaper to buy 17" wheels and (slightly) higher profile winter tyres as the 18" winter tyres were so expensive..
I had to be very sure, however, that the wheels I chose didn't foul the brake calipers...
Hi Beanum, it is a MK5 and I'm looking for 17" alloys instead of putting winter tyres on my current 18". 17" are the smallest size for the R32 because of the massive brakes, plus you need them to allow for chains to be fitted (the current 18" are too big as there is not enough clearance).

I'm looking for the following from the VW listed recommendations:-
Alloy Wheel Meribel 6J x 17, ET 48.5
Dunlop Winter Sport 3D 205/50 R17 93V XL

My local VW dealer (compared to the city VW dealer) has an offer of 2,100chf so we are getting closer to what I want to pay.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07.09.2011, 12:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

why not get steel rims?

My alloys are 205/50/17 but I got brand new set of steel wheels and winter tyres from Germany for 400 fitted.

Never heard of this certificate thing for wheels, the police didn't ask for it when I was stopped last year. They did check the car and looked at the wheels/tyres but all they wanted to see was my driving licence, insurance and vehicle reg document.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07.09.2011, 12:31
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
why not get steel rims?

My alloys are 205/50/17 but I got brand new set of steel wheels and winter tyres from Germany for 400 fitted.

Never heard of this certificate thing for wheels, the police didn't ask for it when I was stopped last year. They did check the car and looked at the wheels/tyres but all they wanted to see was my driving licence, insurance and vehicle reg document.

good luck with your mfk
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 07.09.2011, 12:48
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,384
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 4,650 Times in 2,351 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
Hi Beanum, it is a MK5 and I'm looking for 17" alloys instead of putting winter tyres on my current 18". 17" are the smallest size for the R32 because of the massive brakes, plus you need them to allow for chains to be fitted (the current 18" are too big as there is not enough clearance).

I'm looking for the following from the VW listed recommendations:-
Alloy Wheel Meribel 6J x 17, ET 48.5
Dunlop Winter Sport 3D 205/50 R17 93V XL

My local VW dealer (compared to the city VW dealer) has an offer of 2,100chf so we are getting closer to what I want to pay.

Assuming that this model of rim is sold in CH and "authorized" for your car, it should not be too much of an issue to get the rims approved at your local car control place (sorry don't know the name in German). Go with all of the paperwork etc. you can find so they clearly see that the rim is sold in CH and authorized for your car.

Just be sure to book an appointment and get the paperwork stamped. After that, no issues with a police control (or if you have an accident and the insurance company does not want to pay for your car since your rims are not approved).
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try(ing). Yoda
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07.09.2011, 12:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
good luck with your mfk
Thanks

Surely you can put your non winter wheels on for the mfk?

Anyway assuming the wheels you buy are approved for your car it shouldn't be a big deal to get a certificate for them... but then again it might be... I have no idea...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07.09.2011, 13:00
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
Thanks

Surely you can put your non winter wheels on for the mfk?

Anyway assuming the wheels you buy are approved for your car it shouldn't be a big deal to get a certificate for them... but then again it might be... I have no idea...

can I be there when you ask for a certificate from a place selling your wheels for the ones you bought cheaper in germany, please!!!

depends when your mfk is, if its in winter then your screwed, and they will pick it up, they picked up that our wheels where not on the cars log book when they added the towbar to the book, of course they couldn't add the wheels even though the certificate was with the book, we had to come back another day, and another fee
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07.09.2011, 13:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
can I be there when you ask for a certificate from a place selling your wheels for the ones you bought cheaper in germany, please!!!

i have done that before no probs... had to pay 60chf for the certificate but no bother at all.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 07.09.2011, 13:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
i have done that before no probs... had to pay 60chf for the certificate but no bother at all.
so 460 then
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 07.09.2011, 14:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
so 460€ then

ONLY IF the same wheels are sold in CH, you can get a certificate from the importer or the agent.

I did it with a set of eibach springs, bought in germany at a fraction of the cost and bought the certificate here.

I assume your steel wheels are 16" or di you stay with 17"?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07.09.2011, 14:25
Jaro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rafz (ZH)
Posts: 1,317
Groaned at 91 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 624 Times in 343 Posts
Jaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

twice now I've bought tires from Premio Reifen in Konstanz. Also bought OEM rims with tires on ebay.de and had them shipped to Premio. Saved hundreds of franks (even after paying CH taxes) between better pricing and MwSt refund.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07.09.2011, 14:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

yes 16's and they are the same as the ones fitted standard on some of the cheaper models, so hopefully shouldn't be any problem getting a certificate if I need one.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07.09.2011, 20:42
jako's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richterswil
Posts: 865
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 513 Times in 283 Posts
jako has a reputation beyond reputejako has a reputation beyond reputejako has a reputation beyond reputejako has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
on the same topic I need some rims and winter tyres for a bmw mini, anyone got any recommendations mini want silly money, somewhere close to zurich would be good, germany, austria, france etc

BB2, did you find any rims for the Mini. I need to get some for the wife's MiniMaxi for winter wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 18.11.2011, 14:25
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
BB2, did you find any rims for the Mini. I need to get some for the wife's MiniMaxi for winter wheels.

sorry just seen this,

We bought from mini in the end, not the 'bargain' wheel and tyre combo they sent us but ask and they had others.

Mrs BB2 checked over the boarder etc and to be honest the savings where not enough to make it worth doing, it worked out to about 200 euro, but then factor in petrol getting there and the time it takes and it was just too much hassle.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 19.11.2011, 09:02
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 196
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 177 Times in 72 Posts
EvenPar has earned the respect of manyEvenPar has earned the respect of manyEvenPar has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

I am picking up my car at the beginning of next month at BMW in Munich. I want to buy winter tires and rims in Munich at when I pick up the car - not to save money, but because I do not want to drive down here with summer tires on.

The rims will be OEM 18" (the smallest that will fit my brakes) and will be part of a recommended package from the manufacturer. The same package that my local dealer sells - he recommends against driving from Munich on summer tires.

Any idea as to how I get the "certification" would a CE certification satisfy the requirement?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 19.11.2011, 09:15
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

Quote:
View Post
I am picking up my car at the beginning of next month at BMW in Munich. I want to buy winter tires and rims in Munich at when I pick up the car - not to save money, but because I do not want to drive down here with summer tires on.

The rims will be OEM 18" (the smallest that will fit my brakes) and will be part of a recommended package from the manufacturer. The same package that my local dealer sells - he recommends against driving from Munich on summer tires.

Any idea as to how I get the "certification" would a CE certification satisfy the requirement?
If they are original bmw wheels then you dont need a certificate (aa i understand it, the swiss mini main dealer didnt give us one)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 20.11.2011, 22:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

I bought a set of rims and winter tyres for my Audi from ATU in Germany. These are not Audi wheels.

I did get a letter from the manufacturer, but I take it I need something extra.

Where do I get the Swiss paperwork from? Do I need to get the wheels inspected?

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 22.11.2011, 14:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 13 Posts
Ep32 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying Rims and Tyres abroad

I have had been recommended to try Neumann in Tiengen. Small garage working on small profit margin and no time to answer their phones on a Saturday bevause theyre overrun by Swiss customers. They will give you a quote on the phone for winter tyres and you decide if it makes sense. They are on the web
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying wheels and rims in switzerland dr.claud Transportation/driving 9 22.11.2007 00:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0