Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.11.2011, 02:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 79
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
smtrickett has made some interesting contributions
License from US

I understand that i need to forfeit my US license at some point, and will be given a Swiss license. Do I get my US license back when I leave? Also, are US driving records shared with Swiss license bureau? I have a bit of a lead foot
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.11.2011, 04:42
kevlegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Far far away
Posts: 2,178
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,324 Times in 700 Posts
kevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: License from US

No you don't get the US licence back when you leave. Make sure you don't let the US licence expire back in the old country or you'll have the hassle of getting another.
I don't think any transgressions made in the US will be checked upon in Switzerland...I coud be wrong though
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.11.2011, 05:08
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: License from US

Quote:
View Post
I understand that i need to forfeit my US license at some point, and will be given a Swiss license. Do I get my US license back when I leave? Also, are US driving records shared with Swiss license bureau? I have a bit of a lead foot
As the hobit pointed out, you won't get your license back. Also, driving records will not be checked; however, make sure that you have a valid license (not expired), otherwise the sons of &%ç&es kind folks at the Swiss dmv will let you drive around with a photocopy of your license and then send you a registered letter with a 234Chf administrative fee, telling you that they are unable to transfer the license as it's expired and that you are not allowed to drive anymore until you procure a valid license.

A free advice from someone who suffers suffered from the same "right foot weighs about 65lbs disease"..this place makes Ohio look like a friggin' Nascar event...and you'll have to ease up on the gas, as there are tons of speed cameras and you'll be getting loads of memorable kodak moments of your daily commute to work.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 24.11.2011, 09:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zug
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
jhain7 has no particular reputation at present
Re: License from US

I asked if I could keep my US license as I often go back and they let me. So I now have both.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.11.2011, 09:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I also kept my US license, it's just stamped with "not valid in CH". I recently tossed it out though, as it's since expired.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 24.11.2011, 10:01
Maisie's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aargau
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Maisie has made some interesting contributions
Re: License from US

They never took my license away! All I had to do was pay a fee to get a Swiss one, so I have both.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.11.2011, 10:10
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,144
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,233 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: License from US

I got one of those "Not Valid in Switzerland" stickers too.

When I went back to Canada (where club entries are very strict for IDs, and the Canadian Drivers License is the main form of ID), the bouncer was shocked, he was like, "what the hell did you do in Switzerland"!!!???
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.11.2011, 10:15
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: License from US

Quote:
View Post
I asked if I could keep my US license as I often go back and they let me. So I now have both.
They will take your US license temporarily and return it with the
stick "Not valid in Switzerland".

This does not invalidate your license in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.11.2011, 10:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Birmensdorf ZH, ex-Lausanne
Posts: 415
Groaned at 15 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 403 Times in 182 Posts
NicoleCZ has a reputation beyond reputeNicoleCZ has a reputation beyond reputeNicoleCZ has a reputation beyond reputeNicoleCZ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: License from US

Whatever you do, please switch over to a Swiss licence before the 1 year in Switzerland (as noted on the date of entry on your B permit) is up.

Or you could wind up like me, with no license for any country.

See, we didn't have a car our first year here, and the Strassenverkhersamt in Zurich just told me to use my US one for renting cars. We got a car after 18 months of living here. By this time I was in Lausanne and the Service des automobiles made me REDO THE ENTIRE THING. Because I had been in Switzerland more than a year, I couldn't do just the "course de controle" driving test.

I've failed the Swiss road test three times after spending mucho dinero taking the written (passed on first try tho) and the driving lessons. My US license is expired and Mississippi won't let me renew because I don't have an electric bill in my name there. If I try again I have to go to the shrink to make sure I am mentally fit to drive.

TL; DR: Change over your license now before your US one expires.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.11.2011, 10:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: License from US

Quote:
View Post
I've failed the Swiss road test three times after spending mucho dinero taking the written (passed on first try tho) and the driving lessons. My US license is expired and Mississippi won't let me renew because I don't have an electric bill in my name there. If I try again I have to go to the shrink to make sure I am mentally fit to drive.

TL; DR: Change over your license now before your US one expires.
Wow, that's awful and sucks. Could you convince some person in Mississippi to take over their electricity for a few months to renew your license? It would probably be easier and less expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24.11.2011, 11:17
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,383
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 4,649 Times in 2,350 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: License from US

Quote:
View Post
Whatever you do, please switch over to a Swiss licence before the 1 year in Switzerland (as noted on the date of entry on your B permit) is up.

Or you could wind up like me, with no license for any country.

See, we didn't have a car our first year here, and the Strassenverkhersamt in Zurich just told me to use my US one for renting cars. We got a car after 18 months of living here. By this time I was in Lausanne and the Service des automobiles made me REDO THE ENTIRE THING. Because I had been in Switzerland more than a year, I couldn't do just the "course de controle" driving test.

I've failed the Swiss road test three times after spending mucho dinero taking the written (passed on first try tho) and the driving lessons. My US license is expired and Mississippi won't let me renew because I don't have an electric bill in my name there. If I try again I have to go to the shrink to make sure I am mentally fit to drive.

TL; DR: Change over your license now before your US one expires.
And the part of dropping by the shrink for a chat is true. The Swiss figure if you can't pass after three tries that there must be something wrong with you and they don't want you on the roads before being "checked out".

This is a good example of what can happen if you do not change over you license within the one year grace period. Major money, time and hassle. DO IT.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need my "original" US driving license to get a Swiss driving license lukenjenny Transportation/driving 25 11.03.2012 21:04
Lost US Driving License rameses Complaints corner 24 28.11.2011 09:14
Transfer Swiss Driving License to US Driving License robotdm Transportation/driving 5 25.07.2011 08:09
Transfering a drivers license from the US markie_mark Transportation/driving 7 26.08.2009 13:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0