Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07.12.2011, 09:04
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz
Posts: 236
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 111 Times in 69 Posts
kalahari Girl is considered knowledgeablekalahari Girl is considered knowledgeablekalahari Girl is considered knowledgeable
Taking Motorbike from CH to UK - Advice needed

We are leaving Swissie in March 2012. My dearest can not leave his motorbike behind, so it will be put into the truck that take all the household and removal goods.Move is done by a company that packs and does everything.
We have been told it is easy to import the motorbike to the UK. and yes, I know this is a forum for things that happen in Swissie...but can anyone plse make my day and help me. Hubby has kindof left this whole saga in my (apparent) capable hands, however..not so easy. I read up on Conformity reports (have no idea what this is anyway) etc etc, but have no idea what they are.

Step 1
Since the Motorbike is standing on the moment in garage and will be loaded in March 2012, that I return the number plates and get the Bike 'Ausweiss' stamped as 'Annulled'. want to return the plates before end Dec 2011 as dont want to end up paying for 2012 since Bike would be standing anyway.

Step 2
Load the motorbike in removal and take over to the UK.

Documents to take: The Annulled grey Swiss Ausweis papers, the original invoice from BMW (the bike is 6yrs old)

To do in the UK: get the bike 'fitted' with the correct speedo and whatever adjustments needs to be made (light dipping in ? direction), but easiest is to just take it to BMW garage and let them have it done I think.

Am I missing something or can anyone plse direct me...
Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Old 07.12.2011, 12:46
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 42
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
ZuriG has no particular reputation at present
Re: Taking Motorbike from CH to UK - Advice needed

Hi Kalahri Girl,

would suggest that you have a look here to begin with


Regarding lights, would suggest a look on auction sites or forums for the bike to find spares. When I was looking for a new light for my bike, cost new was over 500, so was lucky to find a used one.

Hope this helps.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriG for this useful post:
Old 07.12.2011, 13:37
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking Motorbike from CH to UK - Advice needed

Declare as you come through custom when to go to the UK, you will then get the right documents.
You can run the bike on CH plates for 1 year then you need to register
To do this you will have to take it to a VOSA test site , where they will test it for noise etc. the headlight must dip the right way , and the speedo has to be in MPH (KMs on there own won't do). Ironically, if you import from the EU, you can just put a MPH correction sticker over the top - but coming in from CH you will need a new speedo.
If the bike has an LED display, just consult the manual about how to change it over

Once to have passed the test, go to the local licensing office, and they will give you a registration number. You then have to get a plate ....

If you have owned it for less than 6 months you will have to pay import duty.

PS bikes are cheap in the UK, and expensive here. It would be better to sell here, and buy back in the UK ....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Hedgehog of death for this useful post:

export, motorbike

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy men's underwear, UK or CH? [Another taking the p!ss thread] Treverus Jokes/funnies 8 04.03.2010 23:09
Working in UK, living in CH, kids at school in CH-- advice needed davebergie Permits/visas/government 12 30.01.2010 23:44
How to export a Motorbike from UK to CH/DE plates Miss-Lizzy Transportation/driving 3 18.12.2009 08:33
Is paperwork needed for taking items back to UK by hired van??? Guest Transportation/driving 1 14.05.2009 15:17
Tax in UK and CH, Adviser/advice needed please MartyPants Finance/banking/taxation 2 14.01.2009 14:51

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:30.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0