English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Importing Campervan (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/139053-importing-campervan.html)

Jamescoll 16.02.2012 19:56

Importing Campervan
 
I have spent the winter converting a transit van into a campervan. I have done the conversion myself, to a high standard and I am very happy with it. It has had the body type change on the V5 to Motorcaravan and it is insured with a specialist insurance company on a policy that covers "self build" conversions.

Now we are moving to CH I am worried it will be a knightmare to import as it is non standard. Even if I can import it, will I be able to get it through the MFK and will I be able to get it insured?

Anyone got any experience of this?

fatmanfilms 16.02.2012 22:46

Re: Importing Campervan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamescoll (Post 1488834)
I have spent the winter converting a transit van into a campervan. I have done the conversion myself, to a high standard and I am very happy with it. It has had the body type change on the V5 to Motorcaravan and it is insured with a specialist insurance company on a policy that covers "self build" conversions.

Now we are moving to CH I am worried it will be a knightmare to import as it is non standard. Even if I can import it, will I be able to get it through the MFK and will I be able to get it insured?

Anyone got any experience of this?

You can drive it for a year on UK plates, you can then try & get an MFK but don't hold your breath.
How long have you owened before moving to CH?

Sbrinz 16.02.2012 23:02

Re: Importing Campervan
 
You can join the TCS which is the Swiss "AA" and at one of their technical centres they will be able to advise you. If it is still a Ford transit you shouldn't have a very BIG problem (2x main headlights, 1x rear fog light, 1x speedometer)

Jamescoll 16.02.2012 23:05

Re: Importing Campervan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 1488944)
You can drive it for a year on UK plates, you can then try & get an MFK but don't hold your breath.
How long have you owened before moving to CH?

I will have owned it for 10 months when we move
How strickt is an MFK? It passed its last MOT with some welding, but no other advisories but it is a transit van of a certain age (11 years).

I have also read about needing Certificates of Conformity for importing vehicles which aren't standard, but as I did the conversion myself I don't have one.

fatmanfilms 16.02.2012 23:13

Re: Importing Campervan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamescoll (Post 1488959)
I will have owned it for 10 months when we move
How strickt is an MFK? It passed its last MOT with some welding, but no other advisories but it is a transit van of a certain age (11 years).

I have also read about needing Certificates of Conformity for importing vehicles which aren't standard, but as I did the conversion myself I don't have one.

As it's a personal import with moving here it might be possible, book an MFK test only costs 56 chf in ZH & see what they say, not a lot to loose. If it turns into a nightmare then sell in the UK.
The MFK is not that different in most respects to a UK MOT except non standard is a big no no & the engine must be clean with no sign of any oil leaks.

Good luck

Sbrinz 16.02.2012 23:17

Re: Importing Campervan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamescoll (Post 1488959)
I will have owned it for 10 months when we move
How strickt is an MFK? It passed its last MOT with some welding, but no other advisories but it is a transit van of a certain age (11 years).

I have also read about needing Certificates of Conformity for importing vehicles which aren't standard, but as I did the conversion myself I don't have one.

You probably have seen a small ID plate riveted onto the engine bulkhead which is the type number of the vehicle. They can look this number up and see there was a CC issued.
In 1990 I imported my wife's 1985 Fiat Uno from Germany with a 60HP motor that had never been sold in Switzerland. I had to ask my garage to write to Turin for the engine emissions specification, and then there was no problem issuing the exhaust certificate. So don't worry too much. There can be big problems with exotic cars, but a Transit shouldn't be a problem if it is clean.

Jamescoll 16.02.2012 23:18

Re: Importing Campervan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sbrinz (Post 1488955)
You can join the TCS which is the Swiss "AA" and at one of their technical centres they will be able to advise you. If it is still a Ford transit you shouldn't have a very BIG problem (2x main headlights, 1x rear fog light, 1x speedometer)

The body is still a Ford Transit. I have had windows proffesionally installed. The issue may be the additional electrical installation, gas installation and the furtinure units in the back.

I could take it out with me, join the TCS and see what they have to say about it, and bring it back if it won't pass.

rob1 17.02.2012 10:26

Re: Importing Campervan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sbrinz (Post 1488955)
You can join the TCS which is the Swiss "AA" and at one of their technical centres they will be able to advise you. If it is still a Ford transit you shouldn't have a very BIG problem (2x main headlights, 1x rear fog light, 1x speedometer)


headlight need to be changed, the foglight should be wired for the LH side unless its dual and the speedo can remain with MPH as the primary units provided KMs are also displayed


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0