Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.03.2012, 12:05
StephenOliver's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vitznau
Posts: 43
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
StephenOliver has earned some respectStephenOliver has earned some respect
Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

We moved here 2 months ago and last month I imported my wife's new BMW bought personal export from the UK. Actually a very straightfoward exercise and we saved more than 25% of the Swiss list price by doing so.

There is an excellent post and discussion on Wordpress.com from someone who recently imported a Porsche and I and a few others have chipped in.

http://davecgordon.wordpress.com/201...d-from-the-uk/

Remember that for some reason "imports" do tend to resell for lower prices than "native" cars (although all cars are imported in Switzerland), even with absolutely identical specifications, so I expect when we come to sell we may have to accept a small hit. Also we don't have the 10 year/100,000km free servicing that Swiss BMWs have, although in the UK you can buy an identical deal for less than 3,000 CHF and I suspect that is a reasonble estimate of the servicing costs of a modern BMW over that distance (no service contract includes tyres and few cover oil and wiper blades).

All in all however I think we have made a significant saving and it's well worth the small time investment involved.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank StephenOliver for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 11.03.2012, 12:14
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Quote:
View Post
We moved here 2 months ago and last month I imported my wife's new BMW bought personal export from the UK. Actually a very straightfoward exercise and we saved more than 25% of the Swiss list price by doing so.

There is an excellent post and discussion on Wordpress.com from someone who recently imported a Porsche and I and a few others have chipped in.

http://davecgordon.wordpress.com/201...d-from-the-uk/

Remember that for some reason "imports" do tend to resell for lower prices than "native" cars (although all cars are imported in Switzerland), even with absolutely identical specifications, so I expect when we come to sell we may have to accept a small hit. Also we don't have the 10 year/100,000km free servicing that Swiss BMWs have, although in the UK you can buy an identical deal for less than 3,000 CHF and I suspect that is a reasonble estimate of the servicing costs of a modern BMW over that distance (no service contract includes tyres and few cover oil and wiper blades).

All in all however I think we have made a significant saving and it's well worth the small time investment involved.
I thought both Mercedes & BMW were giving huge discounts of list price due to the strength of the CHF, 25% is what I remember reading.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.03.2012, 12:39
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Good Blog,

But some of the the language is a little misleading and it oversimplifying by a major amount. A couple of the sentences like "You are allowed to drive the car directly to the inspection without any plates at all if you have insurance" are not correct and I believe he still had the car on the Tagesschilde.. other than that certainly one of the more useful I have seen...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11.03.2012, 12:39
StephenOliver's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vitznau
Posts: 43
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
StephenOliver has earned some respectStephenOliver has earned some respect
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Quite possibly. The best deal I have seen on BMW is about 7% however. You do need to shop around and go into this with eyes open. If you can get a great deal here, why not?

In our case the list price spec of the car we bought was about 66,000 CHF - the best deal I saw from a dealer was about 61,000 CHF. We paid less than 42,000 CHF and in total duties, car tax, MWSt, registration costs and ancillaries came to about 6,000 CHF. I think that counts as a good deal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11.03.2012, 12:44
StephenOliver's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vitznau
Posts: 43
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
StephenOliver has earned some respectStephenOliver has earned some respect
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Quote:
View Post
Good Blog,

But some of the the language is a little misleading and it oversimplifying by a major amount. A couple of the sentences like "You are allowed to drive the car directly to the inspection without any plates at all if you have insurance" are not correct and I believe he still had the car on the Tagesschilde.. other than that certainly one of the more useful I have seen...
Possibly - I don't know. In the UK you don't need a valid MoT to drive the car TO the MoT so it wouldn't surprise me if you could. It may also vary kanton by kanton. I took the car to the technical control with the UK plates on (legitimately) and changed them there. I had Swiss insurance in place by giving the insurance company the Stamnummer so that was covered too.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StephenOliver for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 11.03.2012, 13:21
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

You can't drive without plates at all here the insurance is on the plates so no plates = no insurance = illegal.

He also mis-states" My Swiss insurer was able to cover the fully-comp risk while on temporary plates, then extend to full cover when I supplied them with a 13.20 A. This all worked out nicely." This is confusing language; the Swiss insurer can only take over the liability part of cover when the car is matriculated after passing MFK and has it's Swiss plates on.

In your case I guess you had the Swiss insurance "in place" on file so they could send the Nachweis to the SVK in order for you to be able to book a test and take over when it passed and the Swiss numbers were assigned. Did you bring the car in on UK insurance on UK Plates then?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11.03.2012, 14:46
StephenOliver's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vitznau
Posts: 43
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
StephenOliver has earned some respectStephenOliver has earned some respect
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Quote:
View Post
You can't drive without plates at all here the insurance is on the plates so no plates = no insurance = illegal.

He also mis-states" My Swiss insurer was able to cover the fully-comp risk while on temporary plates, then extend to full cover when I supplied them with a 13.20 A. This all worked out nicely." This is confusing language; the Swiss insurer can only take over the liability part of cover when the car is matriculated after passing MFK and has it's Swiss plates on.

In your case I guess you had the Swiss insurance "in place" on file so they could send the Nachweis to the SVK in order for you to be able to book a test and take over when it passed and the Swiss numbers were assigned. Did you bring the car in on UK insurance on UK Plates then?
Yes, 7-day third party cover on UK registration number. Yes, Swiss insurance cover notified to verkehrsamt.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StephenOliver for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 11.03.2012, 17:25
IK36's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VD
Posts: 360
Groaned at 70 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 145 Posts
IK36 has earned some respectIK36 has earned some respect
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

I avoided all this import hassle completely when I bought a new Volvo from a UK dealer. It was ridiculously easy. The local dealer in Geneva did everything for me, including Swiss plates. Could not be happier and the savings were very substantial - almost 50 pct on Swiss list price.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank IK36 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 11.03.2012, 18:41
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Quote:
View Post
I avoided all this import hassle completely when I bought a new Volvo from a UK dealer. It was ridiculously easy. The local dealer in Geneva did everything for me, including Swiss plates. Could not be happier and the savings were very substantial - almost 50 pct on Swiss list price.
I heard Volvo are quite good and less precious about this... Did they have the car delivered to them in Geneva and you simply picked it up and paid them for tests and tax etc? Sounds fantastic if that's the case? Was there a servicing agreement also?

Cheers,
David
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11.03.2012, 18:54
IK36's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VD
Posts: 360
Groaned at 70 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 145 Posts
IK36 has earned some respectIK36 has earned some respect
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Quote:
View Post
I heard Volvo are quite good and less precious about this... Did they have the car delivered to them in Geneva and you simply picked it up and paid them for tests and tax etc? Sounds fantastic if that's the case? Was there a servicing agreement also?

Cheers,
David
The car was delivered from the factory straight to the Volvo dealer in Geneva. I paid absolutely nothing for anything except the customs charges and the customs office is across the street from the dealer (!). The car arrived, I picked up the docs from dealer, crossed the street, paid the import taxes and VAT. Then went back to the dealer, gave him the paperwork and he told me to come back later that week. When I came back, the car had plates on it and I drove it back home. The service plan was not included but I will add it later.
If you want a name for the dealer in London, pm me...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank IK36 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 11.03.2012, 19:05
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Thanks!

Sounds a great deal and a lot easier to do with them than say Merc, BM or Range Rover. PM sent as it would be useful to know for our clients if it comes up. We specialise in a lot of these import issues coupled to the insurance and I like my team to have as many garages and as many ways to correctly import as possible in our arsenal!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13.10.2012, 13:33
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 221
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 133 Times in 68 Posts
homesick_alien has earned the respect of manyhomesick_alien has earned the respect of manyhomesick_alien has earned the respect of many
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Hi there,

I am really keen on making savings by importing a car into Switzerland. I live in Basel (moved from the UK).

Please can you PM me with any recommended dealers? and hints / tips would be great. Is it worth exporing dealerships in Germany? Any good ones you can recommend?

Car choices are Volvo or Audi.

Many thanks!

Mo
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13.10.2012, 13:56
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,641
Groaned at 124 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 16,984 Times in 5,391 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Search on the German site Mobile.de.
Tons of dealers, and many will be happy to sell you a VAT free car and some even take care of all the paperwork (especially those in the border towns).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 13.10.2012, 15:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Quote:
View Post
Hi there,

I am really keen on making savings by importing a car into Switzerland. I live in Basel (moved from the UK).

Please can you PM me with any recommended dealers? and hints / tips would be great. Is it worth exporing dealerships in Germany? Any good ones you can recommend?

Car choices are Volvo or Audi.

Many thanks!

Mo
It's a lot harder now for private people to import because of the CO2 law, unless you import as personnal belongings i believe.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 14.10.2012, 01:51
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 221
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 133 Times in 68 Posts
homesick_alien has earned the respect of manyhomesick_alien has earned the respect of manyhomesick_alien has earned the respect of many
Re: Importing a new LHD car into Switzerland from UK/EU

Quote:
View Post
Search on the German site Mobile.de.
Tons of dealers, and many will be happy to sell you a VAT free car and some even take care of all the paperwork (especially those in the border towns).
Thanks a lot, will check the site out. From other posts i understand that the CO2 charge is only for brand new or less than 6 month old cars? If so should be fine. Looking for low mileage used car....

Cheers guys for your help. Always amazed at how generous people are with advice on this site
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importing new car from the UK fraj1 Insurance 10 25.10.2011 12:37
Importing a new car from the UK to CH Glider Pilot Transportation/driving 22 08.09.2011 00:09
Importing a LHD car from the UK inkiboo Transportation/driving 4 13.08.2009 00:47
Importing Used Car Personal Effects Into Switzerland ukoman Transportation/driving 3 25.05.2009 00:33
Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TV and insurance question eireann Transportation/driving 8 07.05.2007 23:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0