Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.04.2012, 01:50
vvvnaga's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Adliswil Zurich
Posts: 109
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
vvvnaga has made some interesting contributions
Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Dear Efers,

I did the Kontrollfahrt a few months back - Though i did not pay too much for the training classes (took only 4 classes) , i saw that many of the guys who took the training Paid a minimum of 1000 CHF for the classes .... even though they did know how to drive around - This may sound crazy to many but may be useful to a few out there waiting to take the test- Happy to help you guys with couple of hours of discussion before you enroll with any trainer - & also if you are legally allowed to drive before the test - can give you a couple of hours of tips/Explanations of rules - for free ofcourse -

Note : From my personal experience it is always safe to go with a trainer - Our target here is to reduce the amount you guys pay to the trainer & nothing else -- as i personally believe that the money paid is too much .
Cheers.
vvv.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.04.2012, 02:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,471
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,189 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

I feel that the driving lessons were money well spent. A friend had an accident when she didn't give way to a small road on the right and was fined more than I spent on lessons
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CH_Me for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 16.04.2012, 09:30
vvvnaga's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Adliswil Zurich
Posts: 109
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
vvvnaga has made some interesting contributions
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Quote:
View Post
I feel that the driving lessons were money well spent. A friend had an accident when she didn't give way to a small road on the right and was fined more than I spent on lessons
Hi Marie,

The idea here is not to avoid taking driving lessons from an authenticated Trainer- but to avoid enrolling without having any idea about the basic rules. Also regarding your comment with resp to accident - I have heard from many of my colleagues who are Swiss Citizens having a Swiss permanent Licence who had paid fine/had been involved in an accident. If you read my Note : you will understand that our ideas are similar but a lil different - thats all - Thanks for your reply - Its a healthy discussion i believe.

Cheers,
vvv.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.09.2012, 21:28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bavdayo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Thanks for offering help.

I've been driving right-hand side for a few years; and as a student, I want to do as much "homework" I can while reducing the number of lessons I need to take. Please advice on the following

* Where can I learn the theory/rules/practical-tips for Swiss driving? (I know about cooldriving.ch)
* Can you suggest a cheap English speaking trainer

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.09.2012, 23:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zug
Posts: 25
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
falexmap is considered a nuisancefalexmap is considered a nuisancefalexmap is considered a nuisance
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Have you done your theory yet? I have a book called Driving Today which has all the driving regulations for Switzerland. I also have a CD-ROM for practicing the test and learning more. It goes very well with the book. I bought both separately last weekend for a refresher and don't need them anymore. The book was (CHF45.90) and CD-ROM (CHF50). You can have both for CHF75.00 postage included. If you haven't driven before you may need a while of studying using both aids. It took me one weekend as I have been driving for 9 years prior to this. I took to it like a duck to water...
Attached Thumbnails
kontrollfahrt-driving-today-driving-today-book.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.09.2012, 23:53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bavdayo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

why do I need to do a theory test?
If I understand correctly, I just have to pass one practical exam right?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06.09.2012, 00:32
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
prankyr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Hello
I am planning to take the practical test before this winter. I need few suggestions on the choice of instructor (English speaking) and some tips to clear the test.
Cheers

Quote:
View Post
Dear Efers,

I did the Kontrollfahrt a few months back - Though i did not pay too much for the training classes (took only 4 classes) , i saw that many of the guys who took the training Paid a minimum of 1000 CHF for the classes .... even though they did know how to drive around - This may sound crazy to many but may be useful to a few out there waiting to take the test- Happy to help you guys with couple of hours of discussion before you enroll with any trainer - & also if you are legally allowed to drive before the test - can give you a couple of hours of tips/Explanations of rules - for free ofcourse -

Note : From my personal experience it is always safe to go with a trainer - Our target here is to reduce the amount you guys pay to the trainer & nothing else -- as i personally believe that the money paid is too much .
Cheers.
vvv.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11.09.2012, 18:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
viktnil has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Hey!

I'm also taking the Kontrollfahrt soon. I would like to ask about your particular experience.

I am planning to go for a couple of hours ride with a friend, just to get feedback about common mistakes. Do you think that would be enough? I have some years experience driving in different countries and I feel confident in any kind of road, but... switzerland is switzerland, and I don't want to waste my only shot.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11.09.2012, 18:22
sva's Avatar
sva sva is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: V/G, FR
Posts: 1,079
Groaned at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 827 Times in 411 Posts
sva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Did mine (successfully) last year.

The most important thing that the 'kontroller' looks for, according to me is confidence. I in fact gave my test on a rented VW Golf with manual transmission, which I had been practicing on for three days. A few small tips:

Drive steadily, at the correct speed; not 'hesitantly' slow.
Be especially careful if you see children near zebra crossings.
TURN YOUR HEAD AT EACH TURN - pain the neck, but you have to.

Finally, on a sunny day, remember to put on your shades BEFORE you start.

Cheerio and good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11.09.2012, 18:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
viktnil has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Awesome!

So, they don't try to make you fail, as I read somewhere else.

I am going to use Mobility for the car. Do they make you, for example, check the engine, the spare tire, emergency kit... as part of their evaluation?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12.09.2012, 08:21
sva's Avatar
sva sva is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: V/G, FR
Posts: 1,079
Groaned at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 827 Times in 411 Posts
sva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Quote:
View Post
So, they don't try to make you fail, as I read somewhere else.
I have a sneaking feling that their `attitude` is a function of your age : young=rash!

You are supposed to know the basics like emergency kit in your car; the engine, I doubt, as it would call for `professional` skills. in my case, it was just a plain and simple 30 min drive through Fribourg town, then exit to the expressway, enter into Duingen, and back to FR through some village roads.

I can only once again repeat confidence; e.g. entering and exiting the expressway - do not be hesitant.

best of luck again!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12.09.2012, 09:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

"Old drivers" have habits that can fail the driving test.

Although I did not feel I needed an instructor to convert my licence, I`m very thankful I did have one! He drilled out my old lazy habits, and turned me into a sharp-shooting Swiss driver

A good driving instructor is worth spending some money on, in my opinion.
Mine would not let me take the test until he was 100% satisfied with my performance behind the wheel.

I like the idea of the OP, to give some tips - as not all instructors may be as good as the one I was fortunate to have. Someone went to another driving school, failed 3 times, and had to have psychological therapy (obligatory!)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.11.2012, 16:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 1,245
Groaned at 41 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,109 Times in 570 Posts
TinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputation
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Quote:
View Post
i saw that many of the guys who took the training Paid a minimum of 1000 CHF for the classes
I am such a person. I took 13 lessons. But I don't have a car here so I don't have a local driving experience, and driving in my home county is very different from here (both easier and more difficult in different aspects). End even though I had so many lessons, some of my "old habits" returned during the exam. So I was lucky that the inspector didn't notice them or found them not crucial.

The most important thing for me is that I passed the exam successfully, otherwise I would pay much more and lose a lot of time and efforts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08.11.2012, 17:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 23 Posts
NewGuy has made some interesting contributions
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Quote:
View Post
Dear Efers,

I did the Kontrollfahrt a few months back - Though i did not pay too much for the training classes (took only 4 classes) , i saw that many of the guys who took the training Paid a minimum of 1000 CHF for the classes .... even though they did know how to drive around - This may sound crazy to many but may be useful to a few out there waiting to take the test- Happy to help you guys with couple of hours of discussion before you enroll with any trainer - & also if you are legally allowed to drive before the test - can give you a couple of hours of tips/Explanations of rules - for free ofcourse -

Note : From my personal experience it is always safe to go with a trainer - Our target here is to reduce the amount you guys pay to the trainer & nothing else -- as i personally believe that the money paid is too much .
Cheers.
vvv.
Now I realize the benefit of being a citizen of an EU country (at the very East of, but still EU... ): I didn't have to do anything other than the eye check before receiving my Swiss driving license. They didn't even ask if I know the rules, they assumed that my home country driving license is enough proof!


On a more serious note, I would actually recommend that if one moved to any European country from a different continent, one should take driving lessons provided by a professional trainer. I've already seen in 16 months of living in CH too many instances of drivers doing all the wrong things (not giving right of way to cars coming from the right hand side, passing on the left in an aggressive manner, almost knocking down byciclists, crossing the tram tracks while the tram is approaching, forcing the tram to break hard, turning right on red light - yes my US friends, it is illegal to do so here, etc. - you name it). I would argue that CHF1,000 is a small price when it comes to increased safety on the road not just for you, but also for all other (pedestrians or drivers). I always argued: while in Rome (CH) do what Romans (Swiss) do, don't assume you know better...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.11.2012, 17:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 23 Posts
NewGuy has made some interesting contributions
Re: Kontrollfahrt !!!!! - Driving Today !

Quote:
View Post
Now I realize the benefit of being a citizen of an EU country (at the very East of, but still EU... ): I didn't have to do anything other than the eye check before receiving my Swiss driving license. They didn't even ask if I know the rules, they assumed that my home country driving license is enough proof!


On a more serious note, I would actually recommend that if one moved to any European country from a different continent, one should take driving lessons provided by a professional trainer. I've already seen in 16 months of living in CH too many instances of drivers doing all the wrong things (not giving right of way to cars coming from the right hand side, passing on the left in an aggressive manner, almost knocking down byciclists, crossing the tram tracks while the tram is approaching, forcing the tram to break hard, turning right on red light - yes my US friends, it is illegal to do so here, etc. - you name it). I would argue that CHF1,000 is a small price when it comes to increased safety on the road not just for you, but also for all other (pedestrians or drivers). I always argued: while in Rome (CH) do what Romans (Swiss) do, don't assume you know better...
I meant passing on the right... can anyone help me with advice on how to edit my posts?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Tips for passing Kontrollfahrt driving test! jamjelly Transportation/driving 6 22.07.2011 12:45
Tips for passing Kontrollfahrt driving test John98 Transportation/driving 8 22.10.2010 10:33
[Driving Test]Kontrollfahrt in Basel Ashish Transportation/driving 2 08.06.2007 21:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0