Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.04.2012, 09:11
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Standard Procedure for Minor Parking Lot Accident

Hi yáll,

As luck would have it, I'm driving to work this morning on what will probably be one of my last mornings doing so before I liquidate my automobile. When I arrived to my parking garage, I was pulling into the parking space when I hear a "THWAP!"

"Oh crap..." I thought I'd hit the car next to me. Turns out the person in the car next to me opened their door as I was pulling in. She accepted culpability without any arguement and we exchanged contact (but not insurance) information. The damage is minor, some paint from her car onto mine, some scratching and a dent.

My question is though... how does this work? I don't even know how to find a body shop to get an estimate. Do I call my insurance and point my finger and they act as intermediary? Do I have to get estimates for repair myself and then notify her of the cost? What's the standard procedure here?
__________________
I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies. - Pietro Aretino
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.04.2012, 09:19
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Standard Procedure for Minor Parking Lot Accident

You should fill in an agreed statement of facts form, then the insurance will inspect your car ideally at the garage thet will repair it. It will be all sorted VERY quickly, insurance like to just pay out here without a fight.

Quote:
View Post
Hi yáll,

As luck would have it, I'm driving to work this morning on what will probably be one of my last mornings doing so before I liquidate my automobile. When I arrived to my parking garage, I was pulling into the parking space when I hear a "THWAP!"

"Oh crap..." I thought I'd hit the car next to me. Turns out the person in the car next to me opened their door as I was pulling in. She accepted culpability without any arguement and we exchanged contact (but not insurance) information. The damage is minor, some paint from her car onto mine, some scratching and a dent.

My question is though... how does this work? I don't even know how to find a body shop to get an estimate. Do I call my insurance and point my finger and they act as intermediary? Do I have to get estimates for repair myself and then notify her of the cost? What's the standard procedure here?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.04.2012, 09:24
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Standard Procedure for Minor Parking Lot Accident

Quote:
View Post
You should fill in an agreed statement of facts form, then the insurance will inspect your car ideally at the garage thet will repair it. It will be all sorted VERY quickly, insurance like to just pay out here without a fight.
Where does one get such a form?
Can any garage do the repairs?
And which party's insurance?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.04.2012, 09:48
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Standard Procedure for Minor Parking Lot Accident

Quote:
View Post
Where does one get such a form?
Can any garage do the repairs?
And which party's insurance?
Your insurance should have given you one when you took out the insurance, available in English, you tick boxes & draw a picture.

I always called the other persons insurance & they agreed repairs ASAP. The garage of your choice, some companies like Zurich have help centres, you drive in & they take a photo & approve the repairs there & then.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.04.2012, 09:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baselland
Posts: 78
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 110 Times in 47 Posts
Martha has earned the respect of manyMartha has earned the respect of manyMartha has earned the respect of many
Re: Standard Procedure for Minor Parking Lot Accident

I had this happen a couple of months ago. You need to fill out an "unfallprotokoll" (i think we received a couple of these with our insurance policy and kept them in the car. One side of the page is blue the other yellow, both parties need to fill in their addresses and an explanation of the accident etc.

The guilty party (assuming they accept liability) needs to send a copy of the protokoll to their insurance company, who should then write to you telling you to take it to a garage, at this point i phoned the guys insurance and they recommended me a bodywork garage near by, i took it for inspection, a quote was made and approved within the week and the work done the following week, altogether 1 to 2 months total to get it done.

I never had to inform my insurance company of the accident.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.04.2012, 09:54
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Standard Procedure for Minor Parking Lot Accident

If you get the form, contact the other insurance company, it can be approved right away. If you write letters & wait, it will take a long time!

Quote:
View Post
I had this happen a couple of months ago. You need to fill out an "unfallprotokoll" (i think we received a couple of these with our insurance policy and kept them in the car. One side of the page is blue the other yellow, both parties need to fill in their addresses and an explanation of the accident etc.

The guilty party (assuming they accept liability) needs to send a copy of the protokoll to their insurance company, who should then write to you telling you to take it to a garage, at this point i phoned the guys insurance and they recommended me a bodywork garage near by, i took it for inspection, a quote was made and approved within the week and the work done the following week, altogether 1 to 2 months total to get it done.

I never had to inform my insurance company of the accident.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.04.2012, 10:39
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Standard Procedure for Minor Parking Lot Accident

I remember a few years back going over to the Zuritel Helpcentre at Letzipark with the cark - for it to be inspected. (In german)
"Tell me what happened?"
"I was driving from Lenzerheide and we had to stop as the cows were coming up the road. One of the cows walked into the car. I didn't think there was any damage. When I got home I noticed the dent on the wing. I think the cow's bell hit the car"
"OK - lets look at the damage"

"OK, we'll have to have the car for 2 days - can you leave it with us today?"
"No, but I can come back next Tuesday."
"That is fine. Where do you live?"
"Zurich."
"We'll give you a 2 day tram pass".

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.04.2012, 11:01
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,778
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Standard Procedure for Minor Parking Lot Accident

Good is to have a European Accident Report/Europäische Unfallprotokoll/constat européen d'accident
in your car. It helps not to forget any relevant detail. As said above, insurers will provide you with some free samples.


Even better is never have to use it.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
parking lot maneuvers fatih.erol Complaints corner 18 22.03.2012 16:50
Minor Accident - get money instead of repair? kev132 Insurance 4 01.03.2012 12:27
Who you gonna call?? [Minor traffic accident] bigblue2 Transportation/driving 17 03.12.2010 17:56
Minor traffic accident with rental car Hsiang Transportation/driving 20 19.06.2009 13:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0