Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28.04.2012, 12:53
Scandinavian Viking's Avatar
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 67
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Scandinavian Viking is considered knowledgeableScandinavian Viking is considered knowledgeableScandinavian Viking is considered knowledgeable
Bringing a motorcycle to Switzerland

Hi All, apologies first, if I have missed a previous thread clarifying this matter.

I bought an old Honda CBR 600 F2 a few years back, whilst living in Austria.

I have recently relocated to Switzerland and would now like to bring the bike across. however I am still unsure about the best way to do so.

Should I get Austrian transfer plates and temporary insurance before commencing the drive, or will it be possible to obtain my swiss registration before the bike is physically in the country.

I assume i will not need to Import the bike as it is part of my "estate" and I therefore am allowed to bring the bike with me, can anyone confirm this.

lastly, is there anyone out there with recommendations on swiss bike insurance companies.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote
Old 30.04.2012, 20:09
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
daniel.to.b has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to Switzerland

Welcome to Switzerland, a great place for beautiful rides!
I moved here from the US and I shipped my Harley together with my household goods in the same container. No customs duties, because I owned my bike for over two years.
The main hurdle was for me to obtain an official document confirming the exact date when the bike was registered for the first time. In Switzerland, every vehicle carries its own "Carte Grise", which serves as an ID that stays with the vehicle throughout its lifetime. Hence, when you buy a second-hand vehicle, the former owner hands you the vehicle and its "carte grise". Not so in the States, where the DMV issues a new title whenever a vehicle changes hands, which means that the original date of registration gets lost along the way. Eventually, the local Harley dealership was able to help me.
This is just to let you know that Swiss Department of Motor Vehicles INSISTS on this "date of first registration" document. Hopefully, you have it.
Does your bike have Austrian plates? Mine had US plates, and I was not allowed to ride it before the Swiss homologation. It may be different for Austrian plates, since Austria is part of the EU. Just call the Swiss DMV and ask.
Also, I needed to have the bike insured before being allowed to submit it for inspection and homologation. I use AXA Winterthur which costs me CHF 1,500 this year.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
Old 20.05.2012, 20:44
HAT's Avatar
HAT HAT is offline
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich near Zug
Posts: 1,249
Groaned at 82 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 703 Times in 373 Posts
HAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeable
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to Switzerland

The best place to be sure:


In my knowledge, it could pose a MFK problem to register your bike for use here in CH, but if your bike is relatively new, with a fresh MFK (technical inspection) from Austria, it could help.

You may also need to have a certificate which shows everything is ORIGINAL and with no mods.

After all these info, I actually "gave up" trying to import my bike here.
Anyway bikes are "cheap" in CH.
Buy one here.

Reply With Quote
Old 30.05.2012, 00:33
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Dutchcowboy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to Switzerland

When we moved from Amsterdam (NL) to Switzerland, I moved my Suzuki. Coming from an EU country, you can ride your bike with the old plates for up to one year in CH. You can also use your Austrian drivers license for one year, before having to change them to Swiss.

Changing the license plates means you need the official papers for the bike, including the EU (curious, seeing Switzerland isn't part of EU.) factory certification (for emissions I think).

The motor department (equivalent of DMV) is pretty efficient, once you have the papers and forms filled its fast to get your Swiss plates.

For the drivers license, its also pretty easy, just fill the form in, and do an eye test, and you can go and get the license made while you wait.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dutchcowboy for this useful post:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bringing cats to Switzerland kalexis Pet corner 8 18.01.2012 15:30
Bringing a UK Motorbike to Switzerland DrJazz Transportation/driving 38 03.08.2011 17:16
Bringing alcohol to Switzerland Begga Food and drink 17 31.05.2010 18:24
Bringing a UK car to Switzerland missmcp Insurance 21 18.02.2010 15:57

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:12.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0