Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:19
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,134 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Variable speed limits??

Probably a silly question, but what is the law with respect to how soon you have to deaccelerate once you pass a change in the speed limit? The reason I ask is that today I was chugging along the A3 at 120 km/h when I see an 80 km/h sign, and literally 200m further there was a parked cop car in a siding luckily he didn't have a radar gun.

I'm sure the intention isn't that drivers immediately slam on the brakes but rather reduce their speed gradually.. the question is, how much distance/time have you got to bleed off 40 km/h and comply with the new speed limit?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:22
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

You should be doing the speed limit as you go past the sign. So, in essence you should see the sign in advance and decelerate so that you are at the right speed as you enter the new limit.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:24
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
You should be doing the speed limit as you go past the sign. So, in essence you should see the sign in advance and decelerate so that you are at the right speed as you enter the new limit.
Yep ...beat me too it ... what I was I going to write.
Anything else would be impossible to interpret or enforce.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:26
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

I've never actually noticed here but on the highways ( motorways ) in Canada there are generally signs warning of an upcoming reduction in max. speed so that yes.. by the time you get to that next sign you better be doing that speed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grynch for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:26
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
Yep ...beat me too it ... what I was I going to write.
Anything else would be impossible to interpret or enforce.
That's the key point.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:30
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,485
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,656 Times in 9,928 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

I'm absolutely shocked that someone didn't actually know that and is out there driving on the same roads as me.

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who think they drive much better than they actually do but this takes the biscuit.

Actually - perhaps Castro's trolling?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:36
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,134 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
You should be doing the speed limit as you go past the sign. So, in essence you should see the sign in advance and decelerate so that you are at the right speed as you enter the new limit.
Thanks Carlos, although I do think this is unfair for those of us with less than 20/20 vision

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Variable speed limits??

My car speedometer shows mph, which means I can go a bit faster
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:42
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,485
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,656 Times in 9,928 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Carlos, although I do think this is unfair for those of us with less than 20/20 vision
More reason not to be on the road.

Have you tried spectacles?

Reminds me of a friend who, many years go, had driving lessons.

"What does that road sign mean?" asked his instructor, pointing to a sign just up the road.

"What road sign? he replied.

He got glasses pretty soon after that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zug
Posts: 327
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 178 Times in 104 Posts
Sophie76 is considered knowledgeableSophie76 is considered knowledgeableSophie76 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Variable speed limits??

driving on the motorways in general here is appalling, as you see from the amount of people that go up each others backsides and i am sure the ridiculous speed limits contribute. how can they deem it safe to have a drop from 120 to 80 on a motorway? no wonder.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Sophie76 for this post:
  #11  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:52
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,134 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
I'm absolutely shocked that someone didn't actually know that and is out there driving on the same roads as me.

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who think they drive much better than they actually do but this takes the biscuit.

Actually - perhaps Castro's trolling?
Awww.. don't be so melodramatic Its true I genuinely did not know the exact legal standpoint but I always slow down the moment I see a speed limit sign.
However it has to be said that Switzerland has an abundance of variable speed limits, and sometimes for no visible reason e.g. driving along the A3 to sunny Zurich on a completely empty stretch of highway with no roadworks in sight, it will go from 120 > 100> 80> 120> 100 (these are variable limit signs, so they change on a daily basis)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.05.2012, 12:04
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,485
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,656 Times in 9,928 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
Awww.. don't be so melodramatic
BMW driver by any chance?

Quote:
View Post
However it has to be said that Switzerland has an abundance of variable speed limits, and sometimes for no visible reason e.g. driving along the A3 to sunny Zurich on a completely empty stretch of highway with no roadworks in sight, it will go from 120 > 100> 80> 120> 100 (these are variable limit signs, so they change on a daily basis)
I was taught that if you are going too fast to react in time, you should be driving a bit slower.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.05.2012, 12:11
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,747
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,639 Times in 7,827 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

i have to admit, i was bemused by the fact that i was driving in switzerland when i had no idea of the driving rules (right before left, or left before right?) what these funny traffic signs are (esp. the yellow diamond one) and hadn't driven for over a decade and never on the wrong side of the road.

why on earth was i allowed to legally drive??
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 08.05.2012, 12:12
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,134 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
BMW driver by any chance?
Guilty as charged m'lud.. although its hard to have an attitude when you drive a baby beemer.. trust me, you ain't getting much respect in a 1er

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 08.05.2012, 12:17
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,778
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Carlos, although I do think this is unfair for those of us with less than 20/20 vision
Happily, the speed limit signs on the autobahn are much bigger ⌀120cm than normal (⌀60 cm), also the first speed limit on the autobahn will be 100 km/h.

PS: On the German Autobahn signs with ⌀84 cm are used. Try to see those when you go >200 km/h.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 08.05.2012, 12:22
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,134 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
Happily, the speed limit signs on the autobahn are much bigger ⌀120cm than normal (⌀60 cm), also the first speed limit on the autobahn will be 100 km/h.

PS: On the German Autobahn signs with ⌀84 cm are used. Try to see those when you go >200 km/h.
Thats what I love about threads on EF, it always brings out subject-matter experts from the woodwork
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 08.05.2012, 12:54
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
Happily, the speed limit signs on the autobahn are much bigger ⌀120cm than normal (⌀60 cm), also the first speed limit on the autobahn will be 100 km/h.

PS: On the German Autobahn signs with ⌀84 cm are used. Try to see those when you go >250 km/h.
I believe that is the now accepted willy-waving speed
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08.05.2012, 13:17
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,321
Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
driving on the motorways in general here is appalling, as you see from the amount of people that go up each others backsides and i am sure the ridiculous speed limits contribute. how can they deem it safe to have a drop from 120 to 80 on a motorway? no wonder.
Have you ever seen a 40kph change here? I've always observed increments of 20 when slowing, which isn't that hard or unfair.

In Germany those damned "warning" speed limit signs get me. Though, since I'm up around 200, I'm glad they have the warning before the actual!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08.05.2012, 13:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 45
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Dealer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
Probably a silly question, but what is the law with respect to how soon you have to deaccelerate once you pass a change in the speed limit? The reason I ask is that today I was chugging along the A3 at 120 km/h when I see an 80 km/h sign, and literally 200m further there was a parked cop car in a siding luckily he didn't have a radar gun.

I'm sure the intention isn't that drivers immediately slam on the brakes but rather reduce their speed gradually.. the question is, how much distance/time have you got to bleed off 40 km/h and comply with the new speed limit?
How do you exit the highway?
You maintain your speed until you fully move to the exit lane and than you slam on the brakes as the the next speedlimit can be even less than 80, 60 most of the time.
So you do that and not the other?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08.05.2012, 13:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Variable speed limits??

Quote:
View Post
More reason not to be on the road.

Have you tried spectacles?

Reminds me of a friend who, many years go, had driving lessons.

"What does that road sign mean?" asked his instructor, pointing to a sign just up the road.

"What road sign? he replied.

He got glasses pretty soon after that.
hahaaaa ....... a friend who`d arrived a short while before me in CH, driving around for her job, commented "The street signs here in CH are SO badly written I can`t read them! I have to get out of my car and go right up to them!"

For some reason she never suspected that her eyesight was diminished! She now wears spectacles.

Scary! (she`s Swiss and had her driving licence before diminished eyesight)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank smoky for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fixed rate, variable or mixed? PaddyG Finance/banking/taxation 22 18.10.2011 04:48
Private Message limits Ellen00 Forum support 2 02.10.2011 14:35
What percentage for jobs with variable working hours? jetset Employment 2 08.07.2011 22:03
Mortgage - Fixed/Variable rates raja08 Housing in general 26 23.07.2010 15:28
Speed limits Richard Transportation/driving 9 07.02.2006 11:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0