Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.05.2012, 19:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
chbatin has earned some respectchbatin has earned some respect
advice on new motorbike

Hello all,

I just got my motorbike driving license converted last month and am looking for advice / tips for buying a new motorbike.

Main requirements are..
- daily commute to city, approx. 25KM (workplace)
- once a while road trips to mountains
- handlebars and gear shifter not positioned for aggressive style forward leaning position.
- preference for a bike having fairing (better aerodynamics / some protection from wind ?)

Shortlisted Bikes:
- Honda CBR600FA 2012
- Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F

Could you share your driving impressions of these two bikes or proposals for another motorbike recommended for daily commute use ?

Thanks a lot in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.05.2012, 19:50
HAT's Avatar
HAT HAT is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich near Zug
Posts: 1,249
Groaned at 82 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 703 Times in 373 Posts
HAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeable
Re: advice on new motorbike

Have you already made up your mind?
I bought a Honda NC700X for 8kchf.
It is totally new design, ground up.

It is way better than the 2 bikes you listed. (IMHO).

You will find some more data here:
www.nc700-forum.com
www.englishswissmotos.forumotion.net
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HAT for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 20.05.2012, 19:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,214
Groaned at 2,453 Times in 1,775 Posts
Thanked 39,298 Times in 18,522 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
- handlebars and gear shifter not positioned for aggressive style forward leaning position.
- preference for a bike having fairing (better aerodynamics / some protection from wind ?)

Shortlisted Bikes:
- Honda CBR600FA 2012
- Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F
Both of those have "aggressive style forward leaning position", which you state that you are NOT looking for.

If you want Japanese (or other Asian), Yamaha FZ 600, Suzuki SV 650, or Hyosung GT650 are what you're looking for.

European, then a Ducati 696 (in various forms), Guzzi V7 (also in various forms), or BMW 650 (also in various forms).

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 20.05.2012, 21:07
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
chbatin has earned some respectchbatin has earned some respect
Re: advice on new motorbike

Thank you HAT, Tom.

Your inputs were extremely useful and my shortlist has become a long list now

I will go through the specs of models suggested by you and will make my mind accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.05.2012, 21:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
Have you already made up your mind?
I bought a Honda NC700X for 8kchf.
It is totally new design, ground up.

It is way better than the 2 bikes you listed. (IMHO).
While my own requirements for a bike may differ considerably from yours, and those of the OP, I can't help feeling that 50 horses is simply not enough. I know not everyone wants the 150+ of proper sports bikes but the idea of choosing a bike based more on economy than on performance is just... wrong, somehow, to me.

Looks interesting, I grant you, and certainly has some new ideas, but sorry, I just can't get my head round a power output that low
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.05.2012, 22:34
Nelly_Da_Hefferlump's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 767
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 876 Times in 356 Posts
Nelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
While my own requirements for a bike may differ considerably from yours, and those of the OP, I can't help feeling that 50 horses is simply not enough. I know not everyone wants the 150+ of proper sports bikes but the idea of choosing a bike based more on economy than on performance is just... wrong, somehow, to me.

Looks interesting, I grant you, and certainly has some new ideas, but sorry, I just can't get my head round a power output that low


I have the old (2001) BMW F650 GS which is only 50bhp which if you think about it is almost the same power to weight ratio as the Porsche 911 Carrera S. 0-100kph in around 5.5 seconds. Do you need anything faster?

To the OP, there are not may bikes, that I can think of, that have a more upright riding style and a full fairing. Maybe some of the big cruisers (Goldwing etc) but nothing much smaller. Go and test ride a couple bikes, see what fits.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nelly_Da_Hefferlump for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 20.05.2012, 22:58
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,334
Groaned at 149 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,289 Times in 3,532 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on new motorbike

Forget all them rice cookers, you need this..
Got it from this guy: http://www.bikerbjoern.ch/
2800 Chuffs, ex police, 40K on the clock, brilliant long distance ride.
My second one of these, flogged the last one with 237.000 K's on the clock.
Attached Thumbnails
advice-new-motorbike-iron_pig_2-1-.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21.05.2012, 00:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
chbatin has earned some respectchbatin has earned some respect
Re: advice on new motorbike

Thank you all for prompt and valuable inputs.

I am not sure if the information is already posted somewhere in the forum or if I should start a new thread, but taking advantage of being a newbie

Could you also suggest some routes for weekend motorbike journeys..

Main criteria:

-for beginners
-scenic
-good surface (not like old San Bernardino pass)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21.05.2012, 00:51
user137's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 769
Groaned at 19 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 484 Times in 309 Posts
user137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputation
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
Both of those have "aggressive style forward leaning position", which you state that you are NOT looking for.

If you want Japanese (or other Asian), Yamaha FZ 600, Suzuki SV 650, or Hyosung GT650 are what you're looking for.
SV650 makes your wrist die in about 30 minutes. Same goes for the Hyo GT650, the positions on both of these are like a spear in mid-air.

Kawasaki Ninja ER-6f (ninja 650R in the US) may also come to your list. 70HP, 70Nm torque, inline twin. I loved that bike while I had it.

Oh and BTW, for commuting and comfort, you'd be better off with a maxi-scooter (Suzuki Burgman, Yamaha Majesty line).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank user137 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 21.05.2012, 01:13
slimsphotos's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 677
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 82 Posts
slimsphotos has earned the respect of manyslimsphotos has earned the respect of manyslimsphotos has earned the respect of many
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
Thank you all for prompt and valuable inputs.

I am not sure if the information is already posted somewhere in the forum or if I should start a new thread, but taking advantage of being a newbie

Could you also suggest some routes for weekend motorbike journeys..

Main criteria:

-for beginners
-scenic
-good surface (not like old San Bernardino pass)
Hi

You're welcome to tag along with the rest of us who try to get out each weekend, weather permitting. Just keep an eye in the Social forum for Motorcycle rides, as I date them for the cmoing weekend usually. Or, you can also look us up on Facebook under "ef swiss bkiers" as we have the group page there, with event info and general chat, photos etc.
Give us a try, we are not a bad bunch :-)

Chris
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slimsphotos for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 21.05.2012, 03:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
chbatin has earned some respectchbatin has earned some respect
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
Hi

You're welcome to tag along with the rest of us who try to get out each weekend, weather permitting. Just keep an eye in the Social forum for Motorcycle rides, as I date them for the cmoing weekend usually. Or, you can also look us up on Facebook under "ef swiss bkiers" as we have the group page there, with event info and general chat, photos etc.
Give us a try, we are not a bad bunch :-)

Chris
Thanks for the offer Chris. Looking at the profile of your group and your previous posts e.g. "...I'm hoping in june to do the Brunig/Grimsel/Furka/Klausen day like last year, was great fun....", I am not so sure anymore if I will be able to join you guys at this moment.

Doing all these passes in a single day is for sure not meant for beginners
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.05.2012, 05:48
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,321
Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the offer Chris. Looking at the profile of your group and your previous posts e.g. "...I'm hoping in june to do the Brunig/Grimsel/Furka/Klausen day like last year, was great fun....", I am not so sure anymore if I will be able to join you guys at this moment.

Doing all these passes in a single day is for sure not meant for beginners
It's not so bad. I joined them as a relative beginner, with maybe 2000km under the belt. Take it slow, and if it gets too tiring just let us know you're leaving and head home!

Edit: thinking back, maybe it was less than 1000km.

Last edited by Corbets; 21.05.2012 at 08:30.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21.05.2012, 07:43
cheekymonkey's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Berne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
cheekymonkey has earned the respect of manycheekymonkey has earned the respect of manycheekymonkey has earned the respect of many
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
While my own requirements for a bike may differ considerably from yours, and those of the OP, I can't help feeling that 50 horses is simply not enough. I know not everyone wants the 150+ of proper sports bikes but the idea of choosing a bike based more on economy than on performance is just... wrong, somehow, to me.

Looks interesting, I grant you, and certainly has some new ideas, but sorry, I just can't get my head round a power output that low
I suppose really that it depends on your commute and riding style. I used to have a GPZ500S (albeit 60HP) and I could could get 210Kph out of it (proven with a bicycle speedo). NOT that I always rode at that speed, of course. The bike was perfect for me, but then I'm a bit of a short-stop myself.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21.05.2012, 08:51
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,227
Groaned at 350 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 23,442 Times in 8,471 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
Forget all them rice cookers, you need this..
Got it from this guy: http://www.bikerbjoern.ch/
2800 Chuffs, ex police, 40K on the clock, brilliant long distance ride.
My second one of these, flogged the last one with 237.000 K's on the clock.
That, er, thing... makes one think of a "I like my bikes the way I like my women" thread...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 21.05.2012, 10:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
Main requirements are..
- daily commute to city, approx. 25KM (workplace)
- once a while road trips to mountains
- handlebars and gear shifter not positioned for aggressive style forward leaning position.
- preference for a bike having fairing (better aerodynamics / some protection from wind ?)
On these requirements think about a mild enduro / sport tourer. Suzuki DL 650, Honda Transalp or Yamaha TDM for example. Upright, decent but not aggressive handling plus the relatively high seating position is a plus in traffic
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21.05.2012, 10:59
Stew's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 91
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Stew is considered knowledgeableStew is considered knowledgeableStew is considered knowledgeable
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
Kawasaki Ninja ER-6f (ninja 650R in the US) may also come to your list. 70HP, 70Nm torque, inline twin. I loved that bike while I had it.
I'd second that, chose it as my first bike - very easy to ride, comfortable upright riding position, relatively narrow for filtering and easily nimble enough (and quick enough) for riding out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21.05.2012, 11:10
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,321
Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on new motorbike

I'm a big fan of the F800R from BMW. It's my first bike, with a fair amount of horsepower and significant torque (pretty forgiving of being in the wrong gear) so it can do 0-100 in 3.9s, but very easy to handle. BMWs in general allow you to get away with some mistakes, so I'm a fan.

It's got a small windscreen which doesn't do much, but I imagine it's better than being completely without protection. It's a fantastic city bike, works for relatively tall people with the high seat option (I'm 6'4"), and can eat up the curves.

The Brembo brakes are amazing too - thank dog for ABS.

I say all this without the benefit of having spent a lot of time on other bikes - I've ridden maybe 20 kinds of bikes, but never more than an hour or two - so take it with a grain of salt. It's old enough now that there's probably a couple bikes on the used market, too.

If you're looking at an XJ6, I guess you're kind of short or at least not bigger than average, so look at the normal or low seat option. I test drove the XJ6 and found it to be fun, but small. Turns in easily, and has a relatively relaxed riding position.
__________________
I'm likely typing from an iPad. Please disregard odd word usage.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 21.05.2012, 11:19
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,334
Groaned at 149 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,289 Times in 3,532 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
That, er, thing... makes one think of a "I like my bikes the way I like my women" thread...
Na! Great guy, just ignore the skulls of his vanquished enemies on his desk.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 21.05.2012, 11:24
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,227
Groaned at 350 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 23,442 Times in 8,471 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on new motorbike

Quote:
View Post
Na! Great guy, just ignore the skulls of his vanquished enemies on his desk.
But seriously... did you at least get a matching kit when you bought your police bike? Something like that:

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21.05.2012, 11:26
silverburn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Unterageri
Posts: 826
Groaned at 37 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 833 Times in 343 Posts
silverburn has a reputation beyond reputesilverburn has a reputation beyond reputesilverburn has a reputation beyond reputesilverburn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: advice on new motorbike

I'm with Corbet et al - my shortlist would be:

Monster 696 or 796 (though I still think the pre 2000's are the best looking)
BMW F800R
Suzuki GSX650F (current edition)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank silverburn for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some advice on new neighbors lmerkel Daily life 14 12.04.2012 02:31
Tax Advice on starting a new company sportif Finance/banking/taxation 5 21.12.2011 18:49
Taking Motorbike from CH to UK - Advice needed kalahari Girl Transportation/driving 2 07.12.2011 14:37
Flying to New Zealand - Advice on connections Yopo General off-topic 10 18.03.2010 11:25
Advice on Buying a new Laptop Sagar_KD Other/general 40 19.11.2009 17:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0