Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 15.12.2018, 15:59
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 765
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 376 Times in 244 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Apart from classic cars, most used cars are actually cheaper in Switzerland, higher spec'd, more often than not garaged, and maintained to a higher standard. Some makes used to prepare cars to a higher standard for the Swiss market, extra sealant against oil leaks on sump gaskets, etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank p42 for this useful post:
  #242  
Old 15.12.2018, 21:53
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CH-IT-AR
Posts: 113
Groaned at 49 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Brianzoeu is considered unworthyBrianzoeu is considered unworthyBrianzoeu is considered unworthy
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Quote:
View Post
Apart from classic cars, most used cars are actually cheaper in Switzerland, higher spec'd, more often than not garaged, and maintained to a higher standard. Some makes used to prepare cars to a higher standard for the Swiss market, extra sealant against oil leaks on sump gaskets, etc.
I just had company rented cars while here but my impression is that even classics are cheaper. I might be wrong but seems like prices of new cars are higher than in the surrounding countries just because of the demand and low interests on leasings, but as soon as these cars are returned they flood the used market and prices drop noticeably.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 09.08.2019, 10:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Jay-M has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Hi, I have a question on importing a vehicle when you're moving to Switzerland for the first time.


Short version: is it possible to import EU car and get Swiss numberplates before you obtain residence permit?



Full explanation:
Me and my wife are moving to Zurich and we're getting our new car delivered from the dealership some weeks before our move. We will put EU transit/temporary numberplates on the car and drive to Zurich. As it's a new car, of course we will do the full importing procedure, customs tax, VAT and so on.


But the issue is, that when we arrive, we won't have residence permits yet. We will apply for it right away, but is it possible to register the car and get Swiss numberplates before you receive residence permit? I will have unlimited job contract, apartment lease agreement and so on. The issue is that EU temporary numberplates are valid for 30 days only and receiving residence permit can easily take a few weeks. This would mean that the car would end up being parked without valid plates or valid insurance, which obviously is a problem...


Did anyone have a situation like this or know the solution? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 09.08.2019, 11:00
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,477
Groaned at 817 Times in 555 Posts
Thanked 9,196 Times in 4,358 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I have a question on importing a vehicle when you're moving to Switzerland for the first time.


Short version: is it possible to import EU car and get Swiss numberplates before you obtain residence permit?



Full explanation:
Me and my wife are moving to Zurich and we're getting our new car delivered from the dealership some weeks before our move. We will put EU transit/temporary numberplates on the car and drive to Zurich. As it's a new car, of course we will do the full importing procedure, customs tax, VAT and so on.


But the issue is, that when we arrive, we won't have residence permits yet. We will apply for it right away, but is it possible to register the car and get Swiss numberplates before you receive residence permit? I will have unlimited job contract, apartment lease agreement and so on. The issue is that EU temporary numberplates are valid for 30 days only and receiving residence permit can easily take a few weeks. This would mean that the car would end up being parked without valid plates or valid insurance, which obviously is a problem...


Did anyone have a situation like this or know the solution? Thanks!

I think you'll find to import it as part of your personal belongings and thus, tax free, you need to have owned the vehicle for at least 6 motnhs prior to entry into Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 09.08.2019, 11:23
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,767
Groaned at 1,672 Times in 1,280 Posts
Thanked 31,058 Times in 14,839 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Quote:
View Post
I think you'll find to import it as part of your personal belongings and thus, tax free, you need to have owned the vehicle for at least 6 motnhs prior to entry into Switzerland.
That wasn't his question.

To address his question, in my experience it is not even possible to move a car to a new canton and register/insure it without a residence permit for the new canton (and I even had a Swiss wife), we had to wait near six months (so I kept it on ZH plates for that time)!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 09.08.2019, 12:24
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 765
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 376 Times in 244 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Quote:
View Post
That wasn't his question.

To address his question, in my experience it is not even possible to move a car to a new canton and register/insure it without a residence permit for the new canton (and I even had a Swiss wife), we had to wait near six months (so I kept it on ZH plates for that time)!

Tom
That is not completely correct. You do need a Swiss residence permit, but once you have that it is possible to register cars in any canton if there is a reason to. The vehicle might be used mostly in the canton you register it in, and you will need to provide the address in that canton that it is kept at when not in use. In fact it may be incorrect to register a car in Zurich say, if it is a vehicle you keep and only use in the mountains of Graubunden.

Under new environmental water protection laws that require cars to be MFK'd every 3 years if they are to be stored outside, Police officers check an address for unplated cars, and only issue disposal notices for relevant ones leaving off cars with exchangable plates etc.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 09.08.2019, 12:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,767
Groaned at 1,672 Times in 1,280 Posts
Thanked 31,058 Times in 14,839 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Quote:
View Post
That is not completely correct. You do need a Swiss residence permit, but once you have that it is possible to register cars in any canton if there is a reason to.
Maybe now, but not back in 1990.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 09.08.2019, 12:57
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,289
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 15,571 Times in 6,910 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Quote:
View Post
But the issue is, that when we arrive, we won't have residence permits yet. We will apply for it right away, but is it possible to register the car and get Swiss numberplates before you receive residence permit? I will have unlimited job contract, apartment lease agreement and so on. The issue is that EU temporary numberplates are valid for 30 days only and receiving residence permit can easily take a few weeks. This would mean that the car would end up being parked without valid plates or valid insurance, which obviously is a problem...


Did anyone have a situation like this or know the solution? Thanks!
When you register at the commune ask for a "Wohnsitzbestätigung" (proof of residency) this might be good enough to register the car and get plates.

To get a better answer contact the Canton Zurich main StVA at Zurich Albisgüetli
https://stva.zh.ch/internet/sicherhe...n/StVA_Al.html
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #249  
Old 09.08.2019, 12:58
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,289
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 15,571 Times in 6,910 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Quote:
View Post
Under new environmental water protection laws that require cars to be MFK'd every 3 years if they are to be stored outside.
Please a link to said law which mandates this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #250  
Old 09.08.2019, 14:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Jay-M has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Quote:
View Post
When you register at the commune ask for a "Wohnsitzbestätigung" (proof of residency) this might be good enough to register the car and get plates.

To get a better answer contact the Canton Zurich main StVA at Zurich Albisgüetli
https://stva.zh.ch/internet/sicherhe...n/StVA_Al.html
Thanks for the tip! I'll try to contact them also
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 09.08.2019, 17:39
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 765
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 376 Times in 244 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH

Quote:
View Post
Please a link to said law which mandates this.
Well, if a vehicle is not road registered and available for use it can be deemed junk, or being stored. Under 1992 building regulations article 4 you need permission to store junk/make a garbage site, obviously most offenders don't have this all they have is a parking space outside.

Under arts 97, 98, 110 de l'ordonnance du 06 décembre 1978 sur la protection des eaux, they are allowed to ask you to remove your old vehicles if you don't have a garbage site, see above. If you don't they will do this and charge you for it.

Under this strict interpretation, which seems to be new, not the laws, mfk or not, any unregistered vehicle outside is junk.

Last edited by p42; 09.08.2019 at 18:32.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
import car, mfk, number plate, private, registration




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Import a car mahmed Transportation/driving 74 09.01.2018 00:14
Car import to CH via Belgium? richardm Transportation/driving 1 01.10.2009 12:09
NON-EU - How to get Immigrated or avail WP in CH balkrish81 Permits/visas/government 10 26.08.2009 13:36
Car insurance for a UK car, not intending to import nicnac Transportation/driving 21 11.02.2009 13:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0