English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/150141-how-privately-import-car-eu-ch.html)

Tinkiwinki 08.01.2015 12:16

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Thanks I did not understand that. Only the mandatory third party risk I assume? if it is a valuable car you would want a bit more

hellacopters 23.01.2015 20:43

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Planning to do this myself after big eur/chf crash/uplift. Just thinking if there is something i am missing as the prices in Germany seem to good to be true. For example new Volvo S60 D4 or T4 in Switzerland import dealer about +35k (list price way over 40k) , Vs in Germany 25k (eu-flanze for example).

Has anyone else imported new car recently or are there some new laws that make it less atractive? Btw, it seem that the currency change has not had any impact on car peices yet but quess it will take some time..

daffy99 23.01.2015 21:17

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...x.html?lang=en

Verbier 23.01.2015 22:18

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellacopters (Post 2326202)
Planning to do this myself after big eur/chf crash/uplift. Just thinking if there is something i am missing as the prices in Germany seem to good to be true. For example new Volvo S60 D4 or T4 in Switzerland import dealer about +35k (list price way over 40k) , Vs in Germany 25k (eu-flanze for example).

Has anyone else imported new car recently or are there some new laws that make it less atractive? Btw, it seem that the currency change has not had any impact on car peices yet but quess it will take some time..

A reminder of my earlier post (a few pages back). You need to have the system that checks the inflation of the tires since a new car. Make sure it is installed before your import the car.

hellacopters 25.01.2015 19:11

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Thanks both, so it seems that the car prices in Switzerland are just generally up to 30% higher compared to Germany. Thought that the difference would have been much less (eg 10% or so).

ajcrowley 23.02.2015 12:16

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Hi, does somebody know the price of plates in ZH kanton?
We are importing a car, and want to write down all expenses about it.

What we have:
- duty 4%
- VAT 8%
- admin fee at customs cca. 60CHF
- road tax calculated cca 220 CHF
- MFK 60 CHF
- plates?

What else?
We have a spare motorway vignette

Don Molina 25.02.2015 09:34

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Plates are 40CHF, and you have to pay another 40 for the grey card and then initial registration. Also my MFK in 2013 when I imported my car costed me 100+ Fr for whatever reason. I went to the Winterthur STVA because my export plates were expiring and I needed an early date.

Laempefescht 26.02.2015 18:16

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
I did not read the whole thread, so I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, but if you are importing a new car (as in yonger than 6 months old), be sure to Register (and receive your Registration) for your CO2 emissions before you head to the Strassenverkehrsamt. They will not allow you to schedule a vehicle test without it.

I wished I would have known that before I made the trip there. :msnblush:

ajcrowley 27.02.2015 09:03

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy_Moe (Post 2348453)
I did not read the whole thread, so I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, but if you are importing a new car (as in yonger than 6 months old), be sure to Register (and receive your Registration) for your CO2 emissions before you head to the Strassenverkehrsamt. They will not allow you to schedule a vehicle test without it.

I wished I would have known that before I made the trip there. :msnblush:

Thanks, I found out 2 days ago. Fortunately we are importing a Mazda, what is a special case, CO2 price is half of the other brands. E.g: Honda: 1700 CHF, Mazda 950 CHF.

JakubB 27.02.2015 16:22

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajcrowley (Post 2348825)
Thanks, I found out 2 days ago. Fortunately we are importing a Mazda, what is a special case, CO2 price is half of the other brands. E.g: Honda: 1700 CHF, Mazda 950 CHF.

If it EUR5 engine (and it will be if it 6 months old), do we need the CO2 emission certificate at all?

ajcrowley 27.02.2015 16:54

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
If you import a new or an up to 6-month-old car into Switzerland onwards, you will have to pay a CO2 tax for the car depending on the car's CO2 emissions and weight.

JakubB 27.02.2015 22:48

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajcrowley (Post 2349211)
If you import a new or an up to 6-month-old car into Switzerland onwards, you will have to pay a CO2 tax for the car depending on the car's CO2 emissions and weight.

Even though you do not certify CO2 emission while in Switzerland if you have EUR5 engine?

ajcrowley 10.03.2015 17:02

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JakubB (Post 2349504)
Even though you do not certify CO2 emission while in Switzerland if you have EUR5 engine?

130 g/km is the limit.
Mazda6 is EUR5 but 139 g/km

JakubB 10.03.2015 18:37

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajcrowley (Post 2355851)
130 g/km is the limit.
Mazda6 is EUR5 but 139 g/km

Ok so there is this difference: if you import your car you must certify your CO2 emissions even if it is Euro5 engine, if you buy it in CH you don't have to do this no matter what your emission is?

ajcrowley 11.03.2015 09:41

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JakubB (Post 2355920)
Ok so there is this difference: if you import your car you must certify your CO2 emissions even if it is Euro5 engine, if you buy it in CH you don't have to do this no matter what your emission is?

Yes, because in that case the original importer paid the CO2.

chankayau 18.04.2015 01:29

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Just wondering

Is it better to go through the border at night or weekend (avoid getting check so they dont know the car is in here) or get a vignette and act like a tourist if I am not planning to register? (Got a meaningful plate and would like to keep it. Another thing is to let people know that I'm on the other side so they understand why I am taking longer time in a certain situation.)

Cheers.

Guest 18.04.2015 01:54

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajcrowley (Post 2355851)
130 g/km is the limit.
Mazda6 is EUR5 but 139 g/km

Not quite correct. 130g/km is the "target". This figure is adjusted according to a couple of factors (one of which is the "Leerwicht" -- kerb weight). So heavier cars are "allowed" higher emissions before the "Sanktion" kicks in. There's a useful calculator somewhere on the Swiss customs website...

As mentioned, the CO2 Sanktion applies only to relatively new cars imported to Switzerland. Most buyers of used cars won't be affected.

Guest 18.04.2015 02:00

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
OK, so you want advice on how to break the law? Just jot down that special plate number of yours and we'll get back to you with some handy tips.

Generally speaking, though, it's best to act like you don't owe anybody anything. Don't buy the vignette if you plan to drive on the highways; also, don't bother insuring your car. Don't put coins in the parking meter. And while you're at it, don't pay for goods from Migros or Coop, either.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chankayau (Post 2376474)
Just wondering

Is it better to go through the border at night or weekend (avoid getting check so they dont know the car is in here) or get a vignette and act like a tourist if I am not planning to register? (Got a meaningful plate and would like to keep it. Another thing is to let people know that I'm on the other side so they understand why I am taking longer time in a certain situation.)

Cheers.


chankayau 18.04.2015 02:21

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

OK, so you want advice on how to break the law? Just jot down that special plate number of yours and we'll get back to you with some handy tips.

Generally speaking, though, it's best to act like you don't owe anybody anything. Don't buy the vignette if you plan to drive on the highways; also, don't bother insuring your car. Don't put coins in the parking meter. And while you're at it, don't pay for goods from Migros or Coop, either.
Dont like it? Dont bother to talk then. Why didnt you comment on those people from the previous replies? Theres no rule saying 22 yards must answer. If you wanna act like the american government trying control what others are doing, get a life maybe? Toilet is over there if you wanna take a piss. Dont bring it here if you have shitty day.

And im asking Stoker177 and Jern since they have similar reasons and im more like asking their exprience and what theyve done not breaking it. At most im going around it.

banjo67xxx 18.04.2015 02:51

Re: How to PRIVATELY import a car EU to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chankayau (Post 2376474)
Just wondering

Is it better to go through the border at night or weekend (avoid getting check so they dont know the car is in here) or get a vignette and act like a tourist if I am not planning to register? (Got a meaningful plate and would like to keep it. Another thing is to let people know that I'm on the other side so they understand why I am taking longer time in a certain situation.)

Cheers.

Doesn't work. But there is another way ...

I nearly got a CHF200 fine at 8pm on Sunday evening at Schaffhausen, but luckily the customs officer decided to let me off so long as I promised to go into Zurich city centre and get "permission to drive a foreign car". I had a vignette on the car too, and the car shouldn't attract any attention as its a 1yr old Mercedes. I think the guy was bored, he even searched the car.

Best way is stop at the border and ask if you can request permission to keep using the car on English plates without importing it. Its customs form 15.30 only costs CHF25 and is valid for 2 years. (I think the guy wanted me to go into Zurich as I didn't have any paperwork, not even a passport).

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...x.html?lang=en


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:19.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0