Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.10.2012, 09:31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Demelene has no particular reputation at present
Parking outside the cities

Hi
I'm visiting Switzerland and I'm going to stay in hotels outside of the cities of Geneva and Zurich.

I've been trying to get an understanding if it is possible to reach a city with a car. From what I understand I shouldn't even attempt this.

My preference would be parking spaces outside the city with direct commuting to the city. In Benelux we call them as P+R and their purpose is to allow provide a cheap alternative to getting into the city with a car. This is for everybody.

In Switzerland I understand, that P+R is only for commuters, meaning not tourists.

Can you propose ideas about this matter. I'm mostly interested in the cities of Genever, Zurich and Lausanne

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.10.2012, 09:58
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 989
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking outside the cities

Geneva is a right pain by car, Zurich however is fine....

If you are staying at a hotel outside Geneva, why not leave the car at the hotel as opposed to station car park?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.10.2012, 11:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Demelene has no particular reputation at present
Re: Parking outside the cities

For Geneve I'm staying in a hotel that is in the french side around 30km away.
But I'm also interested in going to Lausanne and I'm really confused by internet resources.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.10.2012, 11:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,216
Groaned at 35 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,162 Times in 1,847 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking outside the cities

Quote:
View Post

My preference would be parking spaces outside the city with direct commuting to the city. In Benelux we call them as P+R and their purpose is to allow provide a cheap alternative to getting into the city with a car. This is for everybody.

In Switzerland I understand, that P+R is only for commuters, meaning not tourists.

Why do you think that? It's true that commuters get special rates on their parking fees and transport tickets; but there's nothing to prevent tourists using the P+R if they can find a parking space!

There are several on the Geneva/France borders, depends on which side you're coming from as to which one you'd use.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.10.2012, 12:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking outside the cities

You can drive into any Swiss city and park there (most of the time) -- but you're unlikely to find free or cheap street parking, and you'd be limited to half an hour or at most one hour, anyway. You'll have to park in an underground or multistorey carpark, and that could get expensive. If you choose to do that, the carparks attached to supermarkets (Migros, Coop) are often a little cheaper.

By way of example: here's a list of the parking charges for a chain of carparks in Zürich. You can see that parking all day (between 9 and 24 hours) costs between CHF 28.00 and 43.00, depending on which location you choose. The cheapest locations (Hardau, Hardturm and Dorflinde) are a little out from the city centre, but well connected to it by public transport. See the home page of the linked website for a location map. Handily, this website also shows the free capacity of all the parking stations in the chain, in real time.

Here's a website detailing locations and opening hours of carparks, covering all of Zürich -- you can google for other cities.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.10.2012, 12:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
inbasel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Parking outside the cities

Hi, I agree Geneva is more difficult than Zurich for cars and often on Swiss news they like to give the current queue time at FR-Swiss customs for people driving from France to Geneva. At peak times, it can be 30mins easily. Why not cheat and use your GPS which should have P+R marked on it? Once you're in Switzerland, the public transport systems are excellent. Geneva public transport is here www.tpg.ch. A few - very few routes go into France, and perhaps your hotel is near one of them. 30km from the border though, I don't know. For some reason, Geneva and nearby France have never really invested in a train line that would go from nearby France to Geneva, it is truly shocking. What this means is for Geneva you mostly have to get into Switz to get onto their public transport system.

For Zurich, you can definitely take your car into the centre, and as I travel with equipment I often do. Parking is available, but generally not cheap. I think you're far better off on public transport, which is excellent. If you are staying in a hotel in Switzerland, you will generally get free public transport in the local area, so that is a considerable bonus.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.10.2012, 12:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Geneva and Nendaz
Posts: 1,063
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 490 Posts
SuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking outside the cities

Quote:
View Post
Why do you think that? It's true that commuters get special rates on their parking fees and transport tickets; but there's nothing to prevent tourists using the P+R if they can find a parking space!

There are several on the Geneva/France borders, depends on which side you're coming from as to which one you'd use.
you usually need a subsciption for P+R in Geneva, or you pay your ticket.
If you don't have it, you can certainly be fined.

I know only one P+R which is free and it's on the french side. But I'm not sure I would let my car there several days at night....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.10.2012, 13:13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Demelene has no particular reputation at present
Re: Parking outside the cities

Quote:
View Post
you usually need a subsciption for P+R in Geneva, or you pay your ticket.
If you don't have it, you can certainly be fined.

I know only one P+R which is free and it's on the french side. But I'm not sure I would let my car there several days at night....
The hotel has parking because I'm driving to Switzerland.

Based on what you say, I can use a P+R even the ones in Switzerland?
I don't mind paying for its usage, as long as the price is competitive to parking in the center and the cost of transportation. I'm looking to visit the city center for many hours, at least half a fay.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.10.2012, 13:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Demelene has no particular reputation at present
Re: Parking outside the cities

Quote:
You can drive into any Swiss city and park there (most of the time) -- but you're unlikely to find free or cheap street parking, and you'd be limited to half an hour or at most one hour, anyway. You'll have to park in an underground or multistorey carpark, and that could get expensive. If you choose to do that, the carparks attached to supermarkets (Migros, Coop) are often a little cheaper.

By way of example: here's a list of the parking charges for a chain of carparks in Zürich. You can see that parking all day (between 9 and 24 hours) costs between CHF 28.00 and 43.00, depending on which location you choose. The cheapest locations (Hardau, Hardturm and Dorflinde) are a little out from the city centre, but well connected to it by public transport. See the home page of the linked website for a location map. Handily, this website also shows the free capacity of all the parking stations in the chain, in real time.

Here's a website detailing locations and opening hours of carparks, covering all of Zürich -- you can google for other cities.
When it says free parking is it actually free?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.10.2012, 13:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Demelene has no particular reputation at present
Re: Parking outside the cities

Thank you all for your answers.

In a summary, I'm looking to park the car in the city or close to the city, for several hours so I can look the city without to much hurry.

I would prefer the most competitive combination for two persons. Also using public transportation from a near-city parking to the city, helps in getting a better look of the city.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.10.2012, 13:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,216
Groaned at 35 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,162 Times in 1,847 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking outside the cities

Quote:
View Post
Why do you think that? It's true that commuters get special rates on their parking fees and transport tickets; but there's nothing to prevent tourists using the P+R if they can find a parking space!

There are several on the Geneva/France borders, depends on which side you're coming from as to which one you'd use.
Quote:
View Post
you usually need a subsciption for P+R in Geneva, or you pay your ticket.
If you don't have it, you can certainly be fined.

I know only one P+R which is free and it's on the french side. But I'm not sure I would let my car there several days at night....
I didn't say the swiss P+Rs were free, just that it is possible to use them without having a season ticket. You find a space, pay the parking charge (usually at the end of your stay using the ticket issued on entry) and then buy a ticket for the tram/bus into town. Which is another hurdle. The P+R in Saint Julien is free to park, but is usually full.
An all-day (after 9am until midnight) ticket for public transport will cost 8 francs from the vending machine by the stop and is a bargain considering that an hourly one is 3.50.
For the normal public parking lots the hourly rate charged seems to vary, avoid Saint Antoine like the plague, the ones further out of town are cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.10.2012, 15:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Demelene has no particular reputation at present
Re: Parking outside the cities

Quote:
View Post
I didn't say the swiss P+Rs were free, just that it is possible to use them without having a season ticket. You find a space, pay the parking charge (usually at the end of your stay using the ticket issued on entry) and then buy a ticket for the tram/bus into town. Which is another hurdle. The P+R in Saint Julien is free to park, but is usually full.
An all-day (after 9am until midnight) ticket for public transport will cost 8 francs from the vending machine by the stop and is a bargain considering that an hourly one is 3.50.
For the normal public parking lots the hourly rate charged seems to vary, avoid Saint Antoine like the plague, the ones further out of town are cheaper.
That is good news because this means that I can use them also and get to the city with public transport.

Do you have any suggestions?
I'm looking for P+R in google maps and I don't see clear hits for certain P+R parkings. The furthest from the city is close to the "Lancy-Pont-Rouge" station named "PARK-MANAGEMENT Sàrl". I'm not even sure it it a parking space.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.10.2012, 15:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,216
Groaned at 35 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,162 Times in 1,847 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking outside the cities

Quote:
View Post
That is good news because this means that I can use them also and get to the city with public transport.

Do you have any suggestions?
I'm looking for P+R in google maps and I don't see clear hits for certain P+R parkings. The furthest from the city is close to the "Lancy-Pont-Rouge" station named "PARK-MANAGEMENT Sàrl". I'm not even sure it it a parking space.
Yes, that's a public one (the other bit is the name of the company that runs it). It's called P+R Etoile. There are a couple of buses and a tram into town going from just outside.

http://www.ge.ch/parkings/parkings/parcs_relais.html This link will tell you where the P+Rs are, the larger ones usually have spaces free.
http://www.ge.ch/parkings/parkings/p...s_publics.html A list of the normal public car parks in town.

Last edited by Anjela; 26.10.2012 at 15:41. Reason: Adding links
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
p+r, parking




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
car parking in various cities sylwiasocha Transportation/driving 0 15.07.2012 22:08
Swiss cities to top soon the list of most expensive cities? Paulus Camillus Finance/banking/taxation 0 09.08.2011 23:05
Zurich vs other cities (i like my cities like i like my women) Phil_MCR Jokes/funnies 2 24.12.2009 00:17
Cycle friendly cities in the world - Basel rates #11 gooner Transportation/driving 23 14.11.2007 15:35
storage parking in\outside of Zurich? California Dreamer Transportation/driving 1 11.03.2007 10:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0