Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 31.10.2012, 18:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Advice on a second hand car, please

My car is dying of old age. Yes, I know, it's a difficult time. We said our goodbyes and it's time to let go.

I've been looking at a Renault Laguna, year 2007, but 190.000kms. The price is about 5.000F.

My question is, is the amount of kms too high? And, is the price fair?

Is there something else I should be aware of? I've never had a Renault before, are they reliable?

Thanks in advance for the replies
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31.10.2012, 20:28
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

I don't have a problem with high KM cars. But to be honest, I'm not sure I'd buy a Renault with that kind of kms on it. Personally, I'd prefer German or Japanese (or Volvo) and I'd specifically stay away from French or Italian.

Perhaps I'm just biases from bad experiences?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 31.10.2012, 21:27
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

If you search on www.autoscout24.ch and look for cars under 100'000 Km and under CHF 5'000 there are quite a few, well there are at least 3 VW Passats,

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos/v...5000&vehtyp=10

I have owned 5 Renaults, and I would not buy a second hand, especially with high Kms.

Mazda 626 are excellent cars, 13 Mazda 626 here,

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos/m...5000&vehtyp=10
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 31.10.2012, 22:06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AG
Posts: 333
Groaned at 6 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 107 Times in 79 Posts
Wakey is considered knowledgeableWakey is considered knowledgeableWakey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Quote:
View Post
I don't have a problem with high KM cars. But to be honest, I'm not sure I'd buy a Renault with that kind of kms on it. Personally, I'd prefer German or Japanese (or Volvo) and I'd specifically stay away from French or Italian.

Perhaps I'm just biases from bad experiences?
Agree. However I don't have a problem per se with French cars, as long as they are relatively new. I would not buy a Renault with 190.000 kms on it, unless it is verrrrrry cheap (like 1000 CHF).

That said, my dad has been driving a Renault Laguna for over 15 years now, and he just pushed it over 260.000 km! He is sort of waiting for the car to fall apart so that he can buy a new one, but it doesn't really happen... so I guess it isn't such a bad car after all!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wakey for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 31.10.2012, 22:12
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Quote:
View Post
Agree. However I don't have a problem per se with French cars, as long as they are relatively new. I would not buy a Renault with 190.000 kms on it, unless it is verrrrrry cheap (like 1000 CHF).

That said, my dad has been driving a Renault Laguna for over 15 years now, and he just pushed it over 260.000 km! He is sort of waiting for the car to fall apart so that he can buy a new one, but it doesn't really happen... so I guess it isn't such a bad car after all!
I agree with all of this. I have a Citroen but I bought it new.
I'll keep it until it dies, but I wouldn't buy someone else's high KM used French car. Well, unless I was or knew a very good mechanic who could check it out and fix it for a low price if and when it needs work.

I guess that's what I was trying to say.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.11.2012, 08:20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 341
Groaned at 35 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 226 Times in 117 Posts
Juddernaut has earned the respect of manyJuddernaut has earned the respect of manyJuddernaut has earned the respect of many
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Quite a few people, including the illustrious Top Gear comperes recommend the FIAT Panda for cheap city motoring....

Surprisingly, the reliability stats for the Panda are very good and it is a very cheap and simple car to repair.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Juddernaut for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.11.2012, 08:38
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,219
Groaned at 311 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,577 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

You will easily find another with much less kms for a similiar price so for the distance its way over priced!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wallabies for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 01.11.2012, 09:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Even though I'm (by automation) leaning towards German and Swedish car(s), parts for these are generally higher than of those for French built cars, BUT that said, you probably need to service your French car more often than a German or Swedish (or Japanese) - (Pure speculation, as I have no idea if its a fact or not).

I honestly also think CHF 5'000 is a bit on the steep side for a 190'000 km used car and from 2007 means 38'000 km driven per year.

BUT, a Renault having that high millage can also mean that it was well looked after so check all paper work and if there's no service history walk away.

Best of luck...

PS. I'm myself on the look out for a car and searching for the right model with the right specs at the right price is half the fun
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Frank2k for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.11.2012, 09:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Buy a Dacia, brand new, 3 year guarantee, Chf 10k (with 0 kms)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.11.2012, 12:21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 63 Posts
acd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Quote:
View Post
My car is dying of old age. Yes, I know, it's a difficult time. We said our goodbyes and it's time to let go.

I've been looking at a Renault Laguna, year 2007, but 190.000kms. The price is about 5.000F.

My question is, is the amount of kms too high? And, is the price fair?

Is there something else I should be aware of? I've never had a Renault before, are they reliable?

Thanks in advance for the replies
It would be good to have a bit more information. For instance, do you need space in a car like a station wagon or is a hatchback enough? Do you like some luxury or would you prefer a car that will simply run with few frills? Do you desire a newer car or would a well kept older one be acceptable? Do you prefer manual transmission or automatic?

I ask because given the way so many people take good care of their cars here, if I were to buy a used car with cash I would go for a nice German car from the late 1980s such as a Mercedes or if space is important, a Volvo 240 or 740 wagon (yes, I know these are Swedish). These cars are not expensive to maintain, don't have a lot of gadgets to break, and were built to last.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank acd483 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.11.2012, 15:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and opinions

@ acd483: I don't mind automatic, a combi or hatchback better than a sedan,and the newer the better.

The reason is the consumption: I guess the older they are, the more petrol they drink, no? (I might be totally wrong, it woulnd't be the first time)

@Frank2k: the car seems to be very well looked after, but I'll have a closer look at the papers.

@Sbrinz: looking at the links right now. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.11.2012, 15:53
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

How about this one? It's only 1,500. heehee.

http://www.autoscout24.ch/fr/d/go-ka...&yearfrom=2007


Seriously though, if you search not late than 2007 for under 5,000 there seem to be a few Fords. What do people think of the Ford?

J, what's your budget?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 01.11.2012, 16:06
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 63 Posts
acd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Quote:
View Post
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and opinions

@ acd483: I don't mind automatic, a combi or hatchback better than a sedan,and the newer the better.

The reason is the consumption: I guess the older they are, the more petrol they drink, no? (I might be totally wrong, it woulnd't be the first time)
It's true, older cars tend to consume more gas, but if they are less expensive to maintain, it often comes out equal. You can also find cars that have been converted to LPG which make ownership really inexpensive.

Agreed, a budget range would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank acd483 for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 01.11.2012, 16:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,894
Groaned at 97 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 921 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Just throwing this in there .....

http://www.englishforum.ch/sale-want...a190-sale.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Anthony1406 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 01.11.2012, 20:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

The budget would be around 5.000F or a bit more if the right car was found, and no MiniMia, we have nothing against Fords .

It's just that we saw that 2007 Renault and wondered how big of an issue a high mileage would be.

Also, we'd like something not older than 5 years, because of the MOT.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01.11.2012, 20:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Anthony for the link, but we'd like a younger car. Nice one, though.

Hope you find a buyer soon .
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 02.11.2012, 10:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Quote:
View Post
You can also find cars that have been converted to LPG which make ownership really inexpensive.
Only "problem" with LPG cars are that they can't be parked everywhere unfortunately.

At work, our basement car park won't allow parking if your car is a LPG fueled vehicle...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02.11.2012, 11:06
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 63 Posts
acd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Quote:
View Post
Only "problem" with LPG cars are that they can't be parked everywhere unfortunately.

At work, our basement car park won't allow parking if your car is a LPG fueled vehicle...
Wow, I had no idea. Thought these were quite safe.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02.11.2012, 11:59
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 63 Posts
acd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

J.Marple,

A 5 year old car for 5,000 CHF is either going to be tiny, driven too many km's or most likely damaged and repaired.

I would proceed with caution. Often, you can spend 5k on a runabout but in a year's time it will need work. Or you could spend 7.5k on a better car that won't need work. Either way, used cars are such a gamble that in my experience it is often best to look for cars that would be owned by professionals who maintain them well and keep them for years. Otherwise, you get cars who have been owned by families or young people, where the interiors are dingy or the maintenance is spotty. To me, a newer, cheaper car is more likely to fall in this second group.

When it comes to a car's age or technology, often you'll find that a high end car will have technology that takes an additional 3-5 years to trickle down to a newer mid-range model. If I were to choose between a 5 year old Peugeot and an 8 year old Mercedes, it is more likely that the Mercedes (if it's a 1 owner) will be the smarter purchase. In addition, if it has been well maintained, it will be a better drive.

Then, if you consider models within a higher end manufacturer, it is best to pick one in the middle. The entry models to a Mercedes or BMW are usually bought by social climbers. The high end models are unnecessary and often have too much equipment that will fail and cost you lots to repair. To me, the perfect car for you would be a Mercedes E-Class or a BMW 5 series. Both cars have hard working, long life motors mated to a well built, good driving car. Lots of room, owned originally by someone well-to-do, it will run and run. Find one without much technology, and you'll be set for years.

For instance, this car was probably owned by a golfer (if you trust the decal on the trunk lid)...and that's more likely a person who will take good care. And sure enough, it has a full service history, MFK, etc. With 155,000 kms, it will have had all the important services done and should run trouble free for years.

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/merce...2692&vehtyp=10

Want a station wagon? You can tell that this private owner is an enthusiast. All service records, multiple sets of wheels, good pictures. The miles are average which is good. Again, I doubt you could go wrong with this car and it has nice equipment.

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/merce...1005&vehtyp=10


Or perhaps a better looking, sportier BMW with a manual transmission:

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/bmw-5...1128&vehtyp=10

So while I understand the desire for a newer car, with your budget, it might be smarter to go older. Either way, make sure it has all service records (preferably from a main dealer), MFK, no accident history. Try to buy from a private owner or an enthusiast dealer. I like the enthusiast dealers because they are car guys who enjoy buying, reconditioning and selling on good cars. The best only deal with a few makes. Car dealers with too broad a range of car makes are usually not interested in the cars but the profit. They more often accept damaged cars, or cars with high profit margins.

Anyway, good luck, enjoy the process (there's nothing like a good car hunt) and let us know what you end up buying!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank acd483 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 02.11.2012, 12:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on a second hand car, please

Quote:
View Post
J.Marple,

A 5 year old car for 5,000 CHF is either going to be tiny, driven too many km's or most likely damaged and repaired.

I would proceed with caution. Often, you can spend 5k on a runabout but in a year's time it will need work. Or you could spend 7.5k on a better car that won't need work. Either way, used cars are such a gamble that in my experience it is often best to look for cars that would be owned by professionals who maintain them well and keep them for years. Otherwise, you get cars who have been owned by families or young people, where the interiors are dingy or the maintenance is spotty. To me, a newer, cheaper car is more likely to fall in this second group.

When it comes to a car's age or technology, often you'll find that a high end car will have technology that takes an additional 3-5 years to trickle down to a newer mid-range model. If I were to choose between a 5 year old Peugeot and an 8 year old Mercedes, it is more likely that the Mercedes (if it's a 1 owner) will be the smarter purchase. In addition, if it has been well maintained, it will be a better drive.

Then, if you consider models within a higher end manufacturer, it is best to pick one in the middle. The entry models to a Mercedes or BMW are usually bought by social climbers. The high end models are unnecessary and often have too much equipment that will fail and cost you lots to repair. To me, the perfect car for you would be a Mercedes E-Class or a BMW 5 series. Both cars have hard working, long life motors mated to a well built, good driving car. Lots of room, owned originally by someone well-to-do, it will run and run. Find one without much technology, and you'll be set for years.

For instance, this car was probably owned by a golfer (if you trust the decal on the trunk lid)...and that's more likely a person who will take good care. And sure enough, it has a full service history, MFK, etc. With 155,000 kms, it will have had all the important services done and should run trouble free for years.

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/merce...2692&vehtyp=10

Want a station wagon? You can tell that this private owner is an enthusiast. All service records, multiple sets of wheels, good pictures. The miles are average which is good. Again, I doubt you could go wrong with this car and it has nice equipment.

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/merce...1005&vehtyp=10


Or perhaps a better looking, sportier BMW with a manual transmission:

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/bmw-5...1128&vehtyp=10

So while I understand the desire for a newer car, with your budget, it might be smarter to go older. Either way, make sure it has all service records (preferably from a main dealer), MFK, no accident history. Try to buy from a private owner or an enthusiast dealer. I like the enthusiast dealers because they are car guys who enjoy buying, reconditioning and selling on good cars. The best only deal with a few makes. Car dealers with too broad a range of car makes are usually not interested in the cars but the profit. They more often accept damaged cars, or cars with high profit margins.

Anyway, good luck, enjoy the process (there's nothing like a good car hunt) and let us know what you end up buying!
I can't believe you went through all that trouble, thanks a lot .

I like all your suggestions, and will look into them with my husband tonight.

A lot of food for thought, thanks again.

Needless to say, as soon as we make a decision, I'll post it here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
renault, second hand car




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guaranteeing a second hand car j wilson Transportation/driving 3 19.08.2012 18:30
Second hand car recommendations Chris77 Transportation/driving 13 01.10.2010 10:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0