Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #621  
Old 25.04.2017, 07:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,574
Groaned at 343 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 15,385 Times in 7,898 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
My parents' car actually "reads" the speed signs and beeps at you when you go over. If you are really that easily distracted and believe that keeping an eye on the speedo is detrimental to your superior driving style, I suggest you get a car that does that or get yourself a GA instead.
.
If you are really that easily distracted it's better not to drive...at all.
Reply With Quote
  #622  
Old 25.04.2017, 10:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,713
Groaned at 160 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 7,911 Times in 2,688 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
If you are really that easily distracted it's better not to drive...at all.
Agreed. But if you ask the general populace, a majority will describe themselves as "better than average drivers"...
Reply With Quote
  #623  
Old 25.04.2017, 10:36
martin959's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St Gallen
Posts: 1,247
Groaned at 27 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 566 Times in 319 Posts
martin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of many
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
"A 12-year-old boy who was apparently trying to drive across Australia has been stopped by police 1,300km (800 miles) into his journey."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-39663424

"An eight-year old boy in Ohio safely drove his little sister to McDonald's after learning to drive from YouTube, local news report."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39587853

You see? Perfectly normal... hahahah
Reply With Quote
  #624  
Old 25.04.2017, 15:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Steinach SG
Posts: 8,689
Groaned at 426 Times in 322 Posts
Thanked 11,366 Times in 5,974 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
Agreed. But if you ask the general populace, a majority will describe themselves as "better than average drivers"...
The results on any other topic would be very much the same.
Reply With Quote
  #625  
Old 13.08.2018, 19:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Jayz has become a little unpopular
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Hi all,

Read through the entire thread and can't find answer to this particular point.

We got notification yesterday that my wife was flashed in road works (80km/h limit) on the A53 doing 108km/h (after adjustment), so 28km/h over the limit. So based on the table in the first post, I think we're looking at either a 400CHF or 600CHF fine, but which one? Would it be based on the classification of the road, so the 400CHF fine for 26-30 over on an Autobahn or would it be based on the actual speed limit and so the 600 fine based on Autostrasse classification?

Also one other point I'm not clear on. For the 400/600CHF fines in the "simple" offence category, do they also attract administrative action or is that just at the income based fine level?
Reply With Quote
  #626  
Old 13.08.2018, 20:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Morges
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
kateist has no particular reputation at present
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

If it's any help, our fine was for 600CHF for 72km/h in a 50, which we then got 400CHF of admin fees for too, and a month's ban.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kateist for this useful post:
  #627  
Old 13.08.2018, 20:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

Read through the entire thread and can't find answer to this particular point.

We got notification yesterday that my wife was flashed in road works (80km/h limit) on the A53 doing 108km/h (after adjustment), so 28km/h over the limit. So based on the table in the first post, I think we're looking at either a 400CHF or 600CHF fine, but which one? Would it be based on the classification of the road, so the 400CHF fine for 26-30 over on an Autobahn or would it be based on the actual speed limit and so the 600 fine based on Autostrasse classification?

Also one other point I'm not clear on. For the 400/600CHF fines in the "simple" offence category, do they also attract administrative action or is that just at the income based fine level?

Is that really important to know ?



Surely you should be thinking how to avoid repetition rather than a lousy Chf 200.-- for such an excess
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at for this post:
  #628  
Old 13.08.2018, 20:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Jayz has become a little unpopular
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
a month's ban.
Thank you, I guess that answers the part about the administrative action. Was this for a first offence? Everything I have read indicates that you usually get a warning first time.
Reply With Quote
  #629  
Old 13.08.2018, 20:56
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,927
Groaned at 361 Times in 302 Posts
Thanked 13,587 Times in 6,370 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
Thank you, I guess that answers the part about the administrative action. Was this for a first offence? Everything I have read indicates that you usually get a warning first time.
For that kind of speeding? No, definitely not
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #630  
Old 13.08.2018, 20:58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Jayz has become a little unpopular
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
Is that really important to know ?
Thank you for your helpful response

The difference in banding to me is indicative of the level of seriousness, hence the question. So we are just wondering what to expect as I understand the whole process can take some time.
Reply With Quote
  #631  
Old 13.08.2018, 20:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Jayz has become a little unpopular
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Is there a similar table to the fines one with expected administrative actions based on limits?
Reply With Quote
  #632  
Old 13.08.2018, 21:00
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,927
Groaned at 361 Times in 302 Posts
Thanked 13,587 Times in 6,370 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

https://www.ch.ch/de/geschwindigkeitsueberschreitungen/
Reply With Quote
  #633  
Old 13.08.2018, 21:07
22 yards's Avatar
All mod cons
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 9,199
Groaned at 301 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 19,651 Times in 7,732 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
If it's any help, our fine was for 600CHF for 72km/h in a 50, which we then got 400CHF of admin fees for too, and a month's ban.
"We".

Reply With Quote
  #634  
Old 13.08.2018, 21:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

Read through the entire thread and can't find answer to this particular point.

We got notification yesterday that my wife was flashed in road works (80km/h limit) on the A53 doing 108km/h (after adjustment), so 28km/h over the limit. So based on the table in the first post, I think we're looking at either a 400CHF or 600CHF fine, but which one? Would it be based on the classification of the road, so the 400CHF fine for 26-30 over on an Autobahn or would it be based on the actual speed limit and so the 600 fine based on Autostrasse classification?

Also one other point I'm not clear on. For the 400/600CHF fines in the "simple" offence category, do they also attract administrative action or is that just at the income based fine level?
The table in the first post is old and replaced by a new table.

https://www.ch.ch/de/geschwindigkeitsueberschreitungen/

So you are looking at an "anzeige" and we do not know how high that exactly would be, doing it at a road construction point might weigh heavier.
Reply With Quote
  #635  
Old 13.08.2018, 21:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
For that kind of speeding? No, definitely not
Actually Yes.

Autobahn up to 30 to fast means a warning.
Reply With Quote
  #636  
Old 13.08.2018, 21:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
Actually Yes.

Autobahn up to 30 to fast means a warning.




....when the limit is at 120kmh you can be up to 150kmh and pay but....



At 80kmh, the guy was 35% over the limit, with deduction, there is a higher risk when workers are present and this will be taken into consideration.


My guess, 1 month ban, Chf 1'000.-- fine plus admin costs as a base line.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #637  
Old 13.08.2018, 22:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
....when the limit is at 120kmh you can be up to 150kmh and pay but....



At 80kmh, the guy was 35% over the limit, with deduction, there is a higher risk when workers are present and this will be taken into consideration.


My guess, 1 month ban, Chf 1'000.-- fine plus admin costs as a base line.
Autobahn is autobahn, as for the fine surely this can be higher to much higher than what "normally" would be decided due to circumstances. I do not know how Switzerland treats speeding at roadworks.
Reply With Quote
  #638  
Old 13.08.2018, 22:43
Markarina's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 936 Times in 468 Posts
Markarina has an excellent reputationMarkarina has an excellent reputationMarkarina has an excellent reputationMarkarina has an excellent reputation
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Given that I know someone got an increased fine due to the fact he was tailgating in an SUV as opposed to car in a tunnel, then I suspect that like the US fines will be increased in roadworks.
Reply With Quote
  #639  
Old 14.08.2018, 00:16
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
Given that I know someone got an increased fine due to the fact he was tailgating in an SUV as opposed to car in a tunnel, then I suspect that like the US fines will be increased in roadworks.
Simple fines, fixed fines, those listed here https://www.ch.ch/en/driving-over-speed-limit/ are exactly that: fixed fines.
But they can only handed out if non one was actually endangered. Art. 2 OBG https://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classifi.../index.html#a2

For anything above we have the prosecutors guideline given in the very first post of the thread. Still the same as it was back then. But a guideline is just a guideline. The actual fine will be according the particular circumstances of the given case, the guideline are for standard cases where no one was endangered apart from the fact that you were speeding. Anything additional, like overtaking on the right, tailgating, heavy traffic will only increase the fine.

Quote:
....when the limit is at 120kmh you can be up to 150kmh and pay but....
Only if the devices measurement error is 0 or in your favor. Do not expect that it will be always the case. The tolerance is not to give you some leeway but to account for potential measurement errors. This means it is only 145 km/h !


Quote:
The table in the first post is old and replaced by a new table.

https://www.ch.ch/de/geschwindigkeitsueberschreitungen/

So you are looking at an "anzeige" and we do not know how high that exactly would be, doing it at a road construction point might weigh heavier.
That is listed in the first post Those are the prosecutors guidelines in case of an Anzeige or Summon as it is listed in the English translation.
This is the "Serious Speeding" thread we do not care much about simple fines and petty speeding.


Quote:
View Post
Is there a similar table to the fines one with expected administrative actions based on limits?
See here https://www.ch.ch/en/driving-over-speed-limit/ (The link provided by EdwinNL, but the English version).

Be aware, as said in the initially post of the thread, the administrative measures such as warning or ban will not be decided by prosecutor/judge but independently by the driving license authority of your residence canton. Plus a nice bill for their work.


Quote:
View Post
So based on the table in the first post, I think we're looking at either a 400CHF or 600CHF fine, but which one?
The prosecutor/judge will decide. The table is just a guideline for standard cases. Could also be CHF 530 or CHF 350 or a income based monetary penalty if they think you actually endangered other persons. You will see when you get the ruling and bill.

Quote:
View Post
Also one other point I'm not clear on. For the 400/600CHF fines in the "simple" offence category, do they also attract administrative action or is that just at the income based fine level?
Yes. All those speeding cases which can not be handled with a Ordnungsbusse ("simple fine") will have an administrative action in addition to the fine/monetary penalty. The simplest one is a warning. The speeding cases where the table lists income based monetary fines must be handled with a minimum driving ban of 3 months!

Not to my self. Redo the tables and do it in English.
__________________
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #640  
Old 14.08.2018, 09:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,713
Groaned at 160 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 7,911 Times in 2,688 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
Autobahn is autobahn, as for the fine surely this can be higher to much higher than what "normally" would be decided due to circumstances. I do not know how Switzerland treats speeding at roadworks.
The lowered speed is the relevant one. Roadworks = often more complex road situation and, more importantly, people where there normally are none.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
fine, fines, jail, license, license suspension, speeding, speeding fine, traffic fines




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How are you dealing with the speeding law enforcement? ddgp Transportation/driving 9 24.07.2013 16:50
Update: Speeding fines in France helenakc Transportation/driving 16 05.06.2013 11:05
Bilateral Speeding fines JonP Transportation/driving 25 24.07.2009 16:06
Do Speeding Fines Cause Problems during the Renewal of B Type Visa ??? lithiumfive Transportation/driving 3 02.04.2007 11:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0