Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #721  
Old 07.02.2020, 12:36
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ZŁrich
Posts: 8,333
Groaned at 353 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 12,260 Times in 4,201 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
Just enter the Shenghen area from another Country and then come to Switzerland
...and pray you donĎt have to show your passport at the Swiss border, which still happens at times. Oh, and that you donĎt get stopped in a random police check...
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #722  
Old 06.09.2020, 13:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunflwr has no particular reputation at present
Serious speeding offense on Motorway

Hello, I know this question has been asked and answered however I canít find one with 40 km/h (160 km/h) over on the motorway (120km/h).. technically they will lower it to 156 km/h but that was 36 over still... I had one other offense on a free way which was 100 km/ h and I went 26 over and am still waiting for that ticket (it was a warning + fine). I know Iím losing my license but what else will happen to me? Iím quite nervous.. it was a straightway with no cars around going from Bregenz to Zurich..
  #723  
Old 06.09.2020, 17:35
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,146
Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,867 Times in 8,403 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious speeding offense on Motorway

Quote:
View Post
Hello, I know this question has been asked and answered however I canít find one with 40 km/h (160 km/h) over on the motorway (120km/h).. technically they will lower it to 156 km/h but that was 36 over still... I had one other offense on a free way which was 100 km/ h and I went 26 over and am still waiting for that ticket (it was a warning + fine). I know Iím losing my license but what else will happen to me? Iím quite nervous.. it was a straightway with no cars around going from Bregenz to Zurich..
Welcome to the Forum. I've merged your post into our sticky thread, where you'll see some handy tables in the very first post. Plenty of fun reading for you in the thread too.

I took a quick glance and it appears you'll be looking at minimum: 3 month driving ban, 20 days of wages, court costs, and a criminal record entry.

However you say you're waiting on the first offense to come through, so who knows if it will be worse with two infractions in such a short time.

Pro tip - buy a GA for public transport and stop driving now.
  #724  
Old 06.09.2020, 18:03
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious speeding offense on Motorway

Quote:
View Post
it was a straightway with no cars around going from Bregenz to Zurich..
The usual Swiss fines and penalties more or less assume that this is exactly the case. So, no discount for that.

If you went a true 160 km/h the worst case scenario is to be billed for 160 km/h. The tolerances are to compensate for potential measurement errors. Do not count on them. If you want to count on the tolerance it will be 5 km/h in case of a laser system or 7 km/h in case of a radar based system (larger tolerances if the measured speed was 151 km/h or more). https://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classifi...078/index.html

If you are lucky you are "just" 33 km/h over. That would be Art. 90 Abs. 1 SVG, a hefty fine of around CHF 600, plus court fees, and a ban of most likely 1 Month (because of the previous incident), plus admin fees. Even if we account for potential speedometer over-reading we would end up most likely with that, maybe a smaller fine.

If you are less lucky you end up with 35 km/h or more over the speed limit. That would be Art. 90 Abs. 2 SVG., a monetary penalty of around 20 days (likely suspendend for 2 years), a hefty fine of >600 CHF in case the monetary penalty is spendend, court fees, and a minimum 3 month ban, and some more fees.
__________________
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
The following 4 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #725  
Old 07.09.2020, 10:33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunflwr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Serious speeding offense on Motorway

Quote:
View Post
The usual Swiss fines and penalties more or less assume that this is exactly the case. So, no discount for that.

If you went a true 160 km/h the worst case scenario is to be billed for 160 km/h. The tolerances are to compensate for potential measurement errors. Do not count on them. If you want to count on the tolerance it will be 5 km/h in case of a laser system or 7 km/h in case of a radar based system (larger tolerances if the measured speed was 151 km/h or more). https://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classifi...078/index.html

If you are lucky you are "just" 33 km/h over. That would be Art. 90 Abs. 1 SVG, a hefty fine of around CHF 600, plus court fees, and a ban of most likely 1 Month (because of the previous incident), plus admin fees. Even if we account for potential speedometer over-reading we would end up most likely with that, maybe a smaller fine.

If you are less lucky you end up with 35 km/h or more over the speed limit. That would be Art. 90 Abs. 2 SVG., a monetary penalty of around 20 days (likely suspendend for 2 years), a hefty fine of >600 CHF in case the monetary penalty is spendend, court fees, and a minimum 3 month ban, and some more fees.

Thanks for the reply..

My husbands friend who has a history of driving offenses, going 25 over (multiple times, I'd say more or less 12 times) is just now getting a fine for $900 and losing his license for 1 month.. I hope it's not the case for me to lose my license for 2 years since this is my 2nd time getting a hefty offense.. I will let you all know what happens next!
  #726  
Old 07.09.2020, 11:02
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious speeding offense on Motorway

Quote:
View Post
I hope it's not the case for me to lose my license for 2 years since this is my 2nd time getting a hefty offense.. I will let you all know what happens next!
The previous incident (26 km/h over on a free way) results in a warning. This has not much impact on your current case. It only means that a second warning is no longer possible and a ban of at least one month is quite certain. On the upper end a ban for not more than 3 month is expected.

But if you do not change you behavior in the future, and keep speeding, longer bans must be given. Next time it could be 12 months!
  #727  
Old 16.09.2020, 04:53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ticino
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SwissTan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Hey guys!

After 9 years of being a good rider my time finally came.
I was riding my motorcycle up the Gotthard pass (on the Ticino side) to avoid the long queue at the tunnel. The first few kms are semi-highway (100km/h) and I totally missed the sign that signals the end of it. The road is basically the same, so one wouldn't immediately realize that the speed limit is different and unfortunately there aren't any speed signs at all that indicate the new speed.

I was convinced that the speed limit was 100 and I was doing 110 (according to the laser that got me), a month later I got the nasty letter telling me that after the deduction of 4km/h I was 26km/h over the speed limit.

I called the radar office and I was told that I'm likely looking at a 600 CHF fine and a warning, but I'm more and more convinced that they guy on the phone mistakenly believed I was on the highway because according to the information I gathered from this thread I should get at least a 1 month suspension.

So right now I have about a week to mail back any notes or explanation if I desire to do so, my questions are the following:

1) Does it actually matter if I explain the whole situation? I got caught 2km after the semi-highway ended and there were no speed signs other than the end sign (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.5...b1!4m2!4m1!3e0)
2) Would I risk in incurring in higher court fees if I attach any notes at all? I'd guess that someone would have to actually process it so it wouldn't just be handled "automatically"
3) Are there any chances that the minimum of 1 month is waived if I have no priors?


I was wrong, and it sucks because I just missed a sign... however the anxiety is killing me.
  #728  
Old 16.09.2020, 11:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 768
Groaned at 83 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 678 Times in 378 Posts
DL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputation
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

I don’t think you have a chance of changing the outcome whatever you say, so just wait for the pain. I got caught by the camera on the other side of the tunnel a year or so back. I had no idea the variable limit had changed to 80 (it’s not always 80) and was doing 121 assuming I was close to the limit. I got a 79k chf fine and 3 month suspension. First and last ticket ever.

I even revisited the ‘scene of the crime’ and found no intermediate 100 limit. So you miss one overhead sign that isn’t always there and 79k.
This user would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #729  
Old 16.09.2020, 12:08
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
I called the radar office and I was told that I'm likely looking at a 600 CHF fine and a warning, but I'm more and more convinced that they guy on the phone mistakenly believed I was on the highway because according to the information I gathered from this thread I should get at least a 1 month suspension.
The fine and the ban are handled by to different offices respectively. See also first post of this thread. CHF 600, 1 month ban, and some more hundred CHF in fees is what you have to expect.

Quote:
View Post
1) Does it actually matter if I explain the whole situation? I got caught 2km after the semi-highway ended and there were no speed signs other than the end sign (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.5...b1!4m2!4m1!3e0)
No. After the sign the regular speed limit of 80 km/h applies. No other signs needed.

Quote:
View Post
2) Would I risk in incurring in higher court fees if I attach any notes at all? I'd guess that someone would have to actually process it so it wouldn't just be handled "automatically"
I do not think it will incur higher fees. But I am not sure what kind of evidence you want to provide.

Quote:
View Post
3) Are there any chances that the minimum of 1 month is waived if I have no priors?
No. The 1 month is when you have no priors.
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #730  
Old 16.09.2020, 14:44
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,788
Groaned at 2,368 Times in 1,722 Posts
Thanked 38,746 Times in 18,256 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
I donít think you have a chance of changing the outcome whatever you say, so just wait for the pain. I got caught by the camera on the other side of the tunnel a year or so back. I had no idea the variable limit had changed to 80 (itís not always 80) and was doing 121 assuming I was close to the limit. I got a 79k chf fine and 3 month suspension. First and last ticket ever.

I even revisited the Ďscene of the crimeí and found no intermediate 100 limit. So you miss one overhead sign that isnít always there and 79k.
79k?

Where?

Tom
  #731  
Old 16.09.2020, 14:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 768
Groaned at 83 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 678 Times in 378 Posts
DL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputation
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
79k?

Where?

Tom
Erstfeld, southbound.

Ironic that it happened when I was on cruise unaware I was speeding.
  #732  
Old 16.09.2020, 15:20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Posts: 483
Groaned at 20 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 579 Times in 212 Posts
logo123 has a reputation beyond reputelogo123 has a reputation beyond reputelogo123 has a reputation beyond reputelogo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
Erstfeld, southbound.

Ironic that it happened when I was on cruise unaware I was speeding.
WOW. That is crazy. Glad you are handling it so well. Respect.
  #733  
Old 16.09.2020, 15:27
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,563
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,553 Times in 3,387 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

79k suggests you're making a good living, you're not at the base level of EF furriner at 120k per annum

As the fine is of course based on how much you earn per day.....
  #734  
Old 16.09.2020, 15:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 56
Groaned at 14 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 80 Times in 25 Posts
smilerbaker has earned some respectsmilerbaker has earned some respect
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
I donít think you have a chance of changing the outcome whatever you say, so just wait for the pain. I got caught by the camera on the other side of the tunnel a year or so back. I had no idea the variable limit had changed to 80 (itís not always 80) and was doing 121 assuming I was close to the limit. I got a 79k chf fine and 3 month suspension. First and last ticket ever.

I even revisited the Ďscene of the crimeí and found no intermediate 100 limit. So you miss one overhead sign that isnít always there and 79k.
ermmm how much do you earn ???????
  #735  
Old 16.09.2020, 15:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 768
Groaned at 83 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 678 Times in 378 Posts
DL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputation
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
79k suggests you're making a good living, you're not at the base level of EF furriner at 120k per annum

As the fine is of course based on how much you earn per day.....
actually it seemed to based on an arbitrary 'daily income' that bore little similarity to my actual income.
  #736  
Old 16.09.2020, 15:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 768
Groaned at 83 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 678 Times in 378 Posts
DL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputation
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
WOW. That is crazy. Glad you are handling it so well. Respect.
the 3 month ban was much worse to be honest. i only had to pay about 11k up front as the rest for on probation for 2 years to be paid if i got another ticket.
  #737  
Old 16.09.2020, 17:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,466
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
the 3 month ban was much worse to be honest. i only had to pay about 11k up front as the rest for on probation for 2 years to be paid if i got another ticket.
I think you were unlucky even with that. Normally the first serious offence like that gets a moderate fine, perhaps up to 1k, with the huge hammer fine on 2 year suspended, i.e, normal approach out here: first time, smacked wrist, do it again and they will cut your johnson off.

in a financial sense, of course.

I know someone who got that kind of fine then did do it a second time at the same speed and on the same camera and was duly made to pay an unspeakably large amount of wedge.
  #738  
Old 16.09.2020, 17:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 768
Groaned at 83 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 678 Times in 378 Posts
DL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputation
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
I think you were unlucky even with that. Normally the first serious offence like that gets a moderate fine, perhaps up to 1k, with the huge hammer fine on 2 year suspended, i.e, normal approach out here: first time, smacked wrist, do it again and they will cut your johnson off.

in a financial sense, of course.

I know someone who got that kind of fine then did do it a second time at the same speed and on the same camera and was duly made to pay an unspeakably large amount of wedge.
fine was from Uri, the suspension was from Ticino. my understanding is that since the new stricter rules (about 2015?) this is now a federal requirement for them to do this. so no way out of it. i can't imagine what would happen if i did it again within 5 years, but i'd probably end up moving to another country!
  #739  
Old 16.09.2020, 17:36
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
fine was from Uri, the suspension was from Ticino. my understanding is that since the new stricter rules (about 2015?) this is now a federal requirement for them to do this. so no way out of it. i can't imagine what would happen if i did it again within 5 years, but i'd probably end up moving to another country!
What he means is that 11k to be paid and "only" 68k as a supsendend monetary fine is not usual. On the other hand a 79k monetary penalty is neither usual.
41 km/h over on autobahn would be a monetary penalty of around 30 days @ CHF 2600 per day. Nice pay check you have.

If we look at the full picture: the hefty fine to be paid in case of a suspended monetary penalty can be up to 20% of the monetary penalty but must be at least CHF 600. You got a hefty fine of 15%. Quite a lot.
__________________
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #740  
Old 16.09.2020, 21:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ticino
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SwissTan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Quote:
View Post
I donít think you have a chance of changing the outcome whatever you say, so just wait for the pain. I got caught by the camera on the other side of the tunnel a year or so back. I had no idea the variable limit had changed to 80 (itís not always 80) and was doing 121 assuming I was close to the limit. I got a 79k chf fine and 3 month suspension. First and last ticket ever.

I even revisited the Ďscene of the crimeí and found no intermediate 100 limit. So you miss one overhead sign that isnít always there and 79k.
Quote:
View Post
The fine and the ban are handled by to different offices respectively. See also first post of this thread. CHF 600, 1 month ban, and some more hundred CHF in fees is what you have to expect.


No. After the sign the regular speed limit of 80 km/h applies. No other signs needed.


I do not think it will incur higher fees. But I am not sure what kind of evidence you want to provide.


No. The 1 month is when you have no priors.
Thank you for your responses.
Yeah there isn't much I would be explaining, the judge doesn't care if I saw the sign or not, nor if there were any subsequent speed signs. That would be my only leverage.

I'm just going to take the license suspension and the damn ticket like a man and that's it.
I just hope they hurry up in handing me the suspension because if it happens in winter I'm screwed.
Now off to being more than good for 2 years.

Glad i'm not alone in this club, though I hope for a lighter via sicura in the future, it's crazy how much it costs to make such a stupid mistake.
 

Tags
fine, fines, jail, license, license suspension, speeding, speeding fine, traffic fines




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How are you dealing with the speeding law enforcement? ddgp Transportation/driving 9 24.07.2013 16:50
Update: Speeding fines in France helenakc Transportation/driving 16 05.06.2013 11:05
Bilateral Speeding fines JonP Transportation/driving 25 24.07.2009 16:06
Do Speeding Fines Cause Problems during the Renewal of B Type Visa ??? lithiumfive Transportation/driving 3 02.04.2007 11:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0