Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 31.01.2019, 13:33
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
What if a car has no valid MFK and licenseplate? Will police issue me an one day licenseplate or the car has to be transported there?
Day plates. You will get them from your MFK/StVA/SAN, which is not the police (except Basel City)

But you might need a certificate of a recognized garage that the vehicle is apparently road worthy and would not fail the MFK on spot for important safety reasons.

Some testing places might accept it on a flat bed, w/o plates. You can test it at any of the approved testing places anywhere in Switzerland: See guideline No.7 https://asa.ch/online-bibliothek/richtlinien/

Canton testing places: https://asa.ch/strassenverkehrsaemter/adressen/
Private testing places: https://asa.ch/dienstleistungen/asaq...riebe-kantone/
__________________
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #182  
Old 01.02.2019, 09:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lucaghera8 has become a little unpopularlucaghera8 has become a little unpopular
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 01.04.2019, 17:49
robogobo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Horw (LU)
Posts: 486
Groaned at 67 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 399 Times in 207 Posts
robogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Anybody know...If I buy a car in Zurich from someone who has received the MFK notice, but the Ausweis is still valid, how long will it take for Luzern (my home Kanton) to get around to sending me a letter?

Also, what's the maximum amount of timeI can delay the test?

The reason I'm asking is that I injured my left knee pretty bad skiing, and I can't drive either of our two manual transmission cars, so I'm looking for a cheap Subaru with auto trans to drive around for a while until my knee heals, but don't want to bother with repairs or Prüfung.

Thanks!
__________________


Last edited by robogobo; 01.04.2019 at 18:17.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 01.04.2019, 18:49
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,577
Groaned at 2,353 Times in 1,711 Posts
Thanked 38,371 Times in 18,109 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Based on experience, a month or two, but that's Ticino where things are a bit slow.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #185  
Old 01.04.2019, 20:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,285
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 18,977 Times in 6,615 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

I also got an invite for the MFK recently. The original date was 15 March and i could move to latest 15 May (so 2 months, like ST2lemans wrote).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #186  
Old 13.05.2020, 22:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mulva has no particular reputation at present
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
As a rule of thumb you can only drive the car on foreign plates up to one year after taking up residence in Switzerland. After that you can drive it for only 1 month.
I have a question on this. I'll be relocating to Switzerland once the borders open up again (Covid19). My plan is to bring my car with me (owned for 6+ months). My concern is that because its an older diesel Land Rover Defender registered and plated in South Africa it won't even come close to passing Swiss CO2 tests. It doesn't have a catalytic converter or any EGR fitted - it came from the UK factory with this spec for the Africa market and is all original. My question - I'll be taking up residency/work in Switzerland. Once I cross border and declare vehicle can I drive for 1 year on my SA plates and not have to worry about getting MFK/emmission tested until after 1 year?

Last edited by Guest; 19.05.2020 at 08:05. Reason: Fixed quote HTML
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 19.05.2020, 00:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Adliswil
Posts: 68
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
David2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Really interesting thread. Just wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice on a drivetrain c ok nversion I am was intending to do on a van I plan to purchase.
Planning to buy a new 3.5 tonne rear wheel drive campervan and plan was to get a 4x4 drivetrain conversion done at a specialist in Germany. Now the work they do is TüV qualified / certified and would pass German inspection. How does that transfer to here in Switzerland when I take it down to get the Swiss rubber stamp done?
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 19.05.2020, 08:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
I have a question on this. I'll be relocating to Switzerland once the borders open up again (Covid19). My plan is to bring my car with me (owned for 6+ months). My concern is that because its an older diesel Land Rover Defender registered and plated in South Africa it won't even come close to passing Swiss CO2 tests. It doesn't have a catalytic converter or any EGR fitted - it came from the UK factory with this spec for the Africa market and is all original. My question - I'll be taking up residency/work in Switzerland. Once I cross border and declare vehicle can I drive for 1 year on my SA plates and not have to worry about getting MFK/emmission tested until after 1 year?
I'll leave your question to someone who knows better, although I think that once you declare the vehicle, you are likely to be invited to have it inspected fairly quickly. How old is the car? If it's "vintage" there are considerable concessions.

Is the Land Rover RHD? If so, are you sure you want to drive a RHD car in a country with tiny cities and narrow roads? Defenders are very expensive (and relatively rare) here, but I'd think twice about bringing your car over here.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 19.05.2020, 08:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
I have a question on this. I'll be relocating to Switzerland once the borders open up again (Covid19). My plan is to bring my car with me (owned for 6+ months). My concern is that because its an older diesel Land Rover Defender registered and plated in South Africa it won't even come close to passing Swiss CO2 tests. It doesn't have a catalytic converter or any EGR fitted - it came from the UK factory with this spec for the Africa market and is all original. My question - I'll be taking up residency/work in Switzerland. Once I cross border and declare vehicle can I drive for 1 year on my SA plates and not have to worry about getting MFK/emmission tested until after 1 year?
In the interests of all of our lungs - please don't.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #190  
Old 19.05.2020, 09:31
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
Planning to buy a new 3.5 tonne rear wheel drive campervan and plan was to get a 4x4 drivetrain conversion done at a specialist in Germany. Now the work they do is TüV qualified / certified and would pass German inspection. How does that transfer to here in Switzerland when I take it down to get the Swiss rubber stamp done?
TÜV paper has the same value as toilet paper. Might cost a lot, but in the end all you can do is wipe your behind..

Please see the ASA Directive 2a what is actually needed: https://asa.ch/it/biblioteca-online/direttive/
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #191  
Old 19.05.2020, 09:34
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,577
Groaned at 2,353 Times in 1,711 Posts
Thanked 38,371 Times in 18,109 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
TÜV paper has the same value as toilet paper.
Not always.

When they complained about my 32 year old brake pedal, they were happy when I found the old TÜV paper that I had somewhere. However, it was from the manufacturer and had the manufacturer's stamps.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 19.05.2020, 09:34
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
My concern is that because its an older diesel Land Rover Defender registered and plated in South Africa it won't even come close to passing Swiss CO2 tests. It doesn't have a catalytic converter or any EGR fitted - it came from the UK factory with this spec for the Africa market and is all original. My question - I'll be taking up residency/work in Switzerland. Once I cross border and declare vehicle can I drive for 1 year on my SA plates and not have to worry about getting MFK/emmission tested until after 1 year?
If you want to register it here the car must comply with the exhaust regulations in force at date of first registration. I can give you further info uf you can tell date of first registration and what EURO emission standard it complies do.

Bringing a car which can not be registered in Switzerland might be a very costly experience. High cost for shipment and very low resale value.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 19.05.2020, 09:46
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
When they complained about my 32 year old brake pedal, they were happy when I found the old TÜV paper that I had somewhere. However, it was from the manufacturer and had the manufacturer's stamps.
Right and correct. Some kind of manufacturer statement which acts as a guarantee or statement of conformity is above an anonymous TÜV paper.
Reason: TÜV alone can not be made liable. The manufacturer must take responsibility. A TÜV paper might help in addition to the manufacturer statement. Looks like the manufacturer stamp on the paper made it an manufacturer statement.

The order of documents is listed in chapter 3 of the ASA 2a. A higher ordered document trumps a lower one and can always be used instead of that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #194  
Old 19.05.2020, 09:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
I have a question on this. I'll be relocating to Switzerland once the borders open up again (Covid19). My plan is to bring my car with me (owned for 6+ months). My concern is that because its an older diesel Land Rover Defender registered and plated in South Africa it won't even come close to passing Swiss CO2 tests. It doesn't have a catalytic converter or any EGR fitted - it came from the UK factory with this spec for the Africa market and is all original.
What model/age/engine is it?

The key question is whether Swiss/EU homologated models had converters and EGR fitted - certainly my 2002 TD5 does. If so then yes, it may be hard to pass the emissions test, as it will be based on that Euro category and yours may not comply without them. Can you not find someone in SA to test the exhaust for you and see if it meets the Swiss requirements?

Alternatively I'm sure you'd be able to source the parts from the UK. I know that removing the EGR is quite a common mod, although I've not done it myself, but I haven't a clue how much difference it makes to the emissions in itself. It's quite likely that it would need to be refitted to pass the test, and I gather that it's simple enough to do.

Quote:
View Post
My question - I'll be taking up residency/work in Switzerland. Once I cross border and declare vehicle can I drive for 1 year on my SA plates and not have to worry about getting MFK/emmission tested until after 1 year?
Yes. Only after a year does it need to be changed onto Swiss plates, and it's at that point that you'll be required to do the emissions test and then the full MFK.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #195  
Old 19.05.2020, 09:58
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,577
Groaned at 2,353 Times in 1,711 Posts
Thanked 38,371 Times in 18,109 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
Right and correct. Some kind of manufacturer statement which acts as a guarantee or statement of conformity is above an anonymous TÜV paper.
Reason: TÜV alone can not be made liable. The manufacturer must take responsibility. A TÜV paper might help in addition to the manufacturer statement. Looks like the manufacturer stamp on the paper made it an manufacturer statement.

The order of documents is listed in chapter 3 of the ASA 2a. A higher ordered document trumps a lower one and can always be used instead of that.
As I recall, it's a manufacturers statement with both manufacturer and TUV stamps (I bought the footrests directly at the manufacturer in Freiburg).
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 19.05.2020, 10:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:

Is the Land Rover RHD? If so, are you sure you want to drive a RHD car in a country with tiny cities and narrow roads? Defenders are very expensive (and relatively rare) here, but I'd think twice about bringing your car over here.
Swapping it to LHD, however, might be worthwhile, and is certainly easily achievable.

https://www.landroversonly.com/threa...7/#post-169081
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 19.05.2020, 22:30
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mulva has no particular reputation at present
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
What model/age/engine is it?
its a 2006 'Kalahari' edition - so basically TD5 body but built with a 300tdi engine - no electronics so no EGR.

Quote:
Yes. Only after a year does it need to be changed onto Swiss plates, and it's at that point that you'll be required to do the emissions test and then the full MFK.
If I can drive it for a year I think that's good enough for me. If it fails afterwards I'll just put it in storage somewhere until I either leave Switzerland or put the $ into it to pass emissions.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 19.05.2020, 23:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
View Post
its a 2006 'Kalahari' edition - so basically TD5 body but built with a 300tdi engine - no electronics so no EGR.
And no EU/Swiss homologation, as it wasn't sold here. I guess it was produced for the African market only?

So basically you'd have to get it imported as if it were a one-off special, which would take a lot of time, and money.

Quote:
View Post

If I can drive it for a year I think that's good enough for me. If it fails afterwards I'll just put it in storage somewhere until I either leave Switzerland or put the $ into it to pass emissions.
The emissions test would be the least of your worries. I think it's been suggested in the past, although I've failed to find a relevant post, that you're looking at well into 5 figures for the complicated import process for a non-homologated vehicle, so it would not even start to make sense to do so.

For an idea on prices, I got my TD5 110SW a couple of years ago for 15k from a dealer with a new MFK test. It was a little cosmetically challenged but mechanically sound, significantly improved now (by myself). Some are still available even cheaper than that, but I was looking for specific model with 9 seats, from 2002-2006, so my choices were limited by that. Lots here https://www.autoscout24.ch/fr/voitur..._asc&vehtyp=10
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 20.05.2020, 00:06
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mulva has no particular reputation at present
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Quote:
complicated import process for a non-homologated vehicle, so it would not even start to make sense to do so.
it was built in the UK but its a 'Rest of World' spec so never sold in EU. I realized it was a long shot to get it registered in Switzerland but as long as I can drive it into the country and drive it with foreign plates for a year I'm good with that. Like i mentioned, I'll just put it in storage after a year somewhere south/dry until I can do something with it. My main concern is that once I cross into Switzerland and become resident/start working that I would need to immediately register it for Swiss plates.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 21.06.2020, 21:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Basel
Posts: 36
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
moebius has no particular reputation at present
Re: Testing a Car (MFK)

Hello everyone,

My latest MFK test was on June 2018. I haven't received a letter yet. Does anybody have the same experience? Do you consider that a delay or it is normal? I am asking because in theory the test should be done every 2 years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mfk




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0