Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.06.2013, 12:24
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Morcote
Posts: 149
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
SamM has earned some respectSamM has earned some respect
How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Hello all. Sorry if this has been covered already. I tried to find a thread but the ones I did only covered the steps, not the timeliness of everything.

I will be buying a used car around Lausanne, Basel or Zurich. I will be living in Ticino. How quickly can all the steps take place? I am not sure if the seller will be a dealer or private. I understand that a dealer can do most of the steps for me but how long does it take? Would it be quicker if I did some of the steps myself?

I am asking because I will be flying out there from London specifically to sort out a car so my time will be limited - I need to buy a return ticket. I will need a car when I actually do move at the beginning of July (I will not have time then to look).

Many thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.06.2013, 12:33
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,303
Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,704 Times in 10,983 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
Hello all. Sorry if this has been covered already. I tried to find a thread but the ones I did only covered the steps, not the timeliness of everything.

I will be buying a used car around Lausanne, Basel or Zurich. I will be living in Ticino. How quickly can all the steps take place? I am not sure if the seller will be a dealer or private. I understand that a dealer can do most of the steps for me but how long does it take? Would it be quicker if I did some of the steps myself?

I am asking because I will be flying out there from London specifically to sort out a car so my time will be limited - I need to buy a return ticket. I will need a car when I actually do move at the beginning of July (I will not have time then to look).

Many thanks for any help!
You need to take the car papers to the office in Tichino , you will need. Res permit, first arrange insurance & it will take 5 minutes to get no plates.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.06.2013, 12:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 432
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 184 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

As an aside, are you aware of the car sharing facilities in CH? Maybe this would be a possibility for you instead of rushing into buying a car?

http://www.mobility.ch/en/pub/index.cfm
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.06.2013, 13:03
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Morcote
Posts: 149
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
SamM has earned some respectSamM has earned some respect
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
As an aside, are you aware of the car sharing facilities in CH? Maybe this would be a possibility for you instead of rushing into buying a car?

http://www.mobility.ch/en/pub/index.cfm
Thanks but I sort of need a car to get to and from work. But I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.06.2013, 13:10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Morcote
Posts: 149
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
SamM has earned some respectSamM has earned some respect
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
You need to take the car papers to the office in Tichino , you will need. Res permit, first arrange insurance & it will take 5 minutes to get no plates.
So I buy a car in Lausanne, say. They give me the cancelled title (?) and I then confirm the insurance. Does the insurance company then send a letter or something to the dealer or me?

Would I then take these documents to whatever office it is in Ticino? And I would get the plates (in 5 minutes)? I would then go back to the dealer with the plates?

OR Would I be able to take the car with me to Ticino on the first go without having to go back and forth so much (as long as insurance was in place)? Would they give temporary plates or something so I could drive it Ticino?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.06.2013, 13:12
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

1) Get the grey card from the seller, and take to an insurance agent to arrange insurance

2) Take the grey card to Camorino to register the vehicle and get plates

3) Take the plates to the car, put them on, and drive back to Ticino. Don't forget to get a highway sticker

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 04.06.2013, 13:16
17clarence's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 803
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 965 Times in 440 Posts
17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

The insurance policy is on a database that the Police have access to.
So when you go to get the plates, they check the database before issueing them.
You don't need the policy in your hand.

Number plates are issued/handed over there and then.

Last edited by 17clarence; 04.06.2013 at 13:18. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank 17clarence for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 04.06.2013, 14:25
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Here is the absolute fastest best case solution (for cantons far apart):

- Get a copy of the gray registration card in advance.
- Call insurance agent for quote and preliminary insurance.
- Insurance company will send proof of insurance online to registration office within minutes. (Not needed for next step)
- Get temp license plate (Tagesschilder/Tagesausweis) from registration office (Strassenverkehrsamt/Service des auto). (The Zurich office accepts copy of the registration card, other cantons offices may not)
- Get to your future car. Pay. Get original gray card. Mount license plate.
-Drive to your car to your cantons registration office.
- Hand in temp license. Hand in old gray card. Get new gray card. Get cars/yours license plate.
- Meet with insurance agent to negotiate final insurance details. (Can be another day)

Or if you do not get an advance copy of the gray card.
Variant A)
- Get to your future car. Pay. Get original gray card.
- Go to nearest registration office which issues temp plates. Get temp plates.
- Go back to your car. Mount temp plates. Drive to your cantons registration office. (You must not drive your car w/o license plates. No plates == No insurance)
Variant B)
- Get to your future car. Pay.
- You and Seller drive to local registration which issues temp plates.
- He cancels gray card. Get canceled gray card. You get temp plates.
- Mount temp plates. Drive Seller back to his place. Drive to your cantons registration office.
Variant A and B)
- Call insurance agent for quote and preliminary insurance.
- Insurance company will send proof of insurance online to registration office within minutes.
- Hand in old gray card. Get new gray card. Get cars/yours license plate.
- Send temp license plates to issuing office.
- Meet with insurance agent to negotiate final insurance details. (Can be another day)

Temp plates cost approximately CHF 70 for 24h CHF 80 for 48h. (Price depend on canton)

The major hurdles are the opening times of the registration offices. In the best case it can be done in half a day.
Note: Highway sticker is not bound to a specific license plate. You will only need a new one if the cars has not a valid one.
__________________
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 04.06.2013, 14:30
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

If the car is still registered, there is an even faster way:

Drive the car with the current plates to your insurance agent, set up insurance, then drive to your local DMV, remove plates from the car, hand them and grey card in (they will send the plates back to the original DMV) and get new grey card and plates.

Done.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 04.06.2013, 14:36
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
If the car is still registered, there is an even faster way:

Drive the car with the current plates to your insurance agent, set up insurance, then drive to your local DMV, remove plates from the car, hand them and grey card in (they will send the plates back to the original DMV) and get new grey card and plates.

Done.

Tom
To any EF car buyer: This is the best way how you can do it.
To any EF car seller: This is the absolute worst way how you can do it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 04.06.2013, 15:10
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 506
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 332 Times in 217 Posts
slingb is considered knowledgeableslingb is considered knowledgeableslingb is considered knowledgeable
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
Hello all. Sorry if this has been covered already. I tried to find a thread but the ones I did only covered the steps, not the timeliness of everything.

I will be buying a used car around Lausanne, Basel or Zurich. I will be living in Ticino. How quickly can all the steps take place? I am not sure if the seller will be a dealer or private. I understand that a dealer can do most of the steps for me but how long does it take? Would it be quicker if I did some of the steps myself?

I am asking because I will be flying out there from London specifically to sort out a car so my time will be limited - I need to buy a return ticket. I will need a car when I actually do move at the beginning of July (I will not have time then to look).

Many thanks for any help!
Have you got a residence permit? Have you got an address here? If not it may not be possible and you have to wait.

Also, say you got the car in Lausanne on a short trip. Where are you going to park it until July?

[What I'd do is find a car from a dealer, pay a deposit, and tell him Im coming back in July to collect it, keep it. Then complete the formalities once back.]
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slingb for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 04.06.2013, 19:36
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Morcote
Posts: 149
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
SamM has earned some respectSamM has earned some respect
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
Have you got a residence permit? Have you got an address here? If not it may not be possible and you have to wait.

Also, say you got the car in Lausanne on a short trip. Where are you going to park it until July?

[What I'd do is find a car from a dealer, pay a deposit, and tell him Im coming back in July to collect it, keep it. Then complete the formalities once back.]
Yes, yes and that is what I was thinking. I could actually park it in the garage of the flat I will be renting. I will be collecting the keys the week when I look to buy a car. He will be away when I move in so would like to do the formalities beforehand. But not sure if I would like to drive down to Lugano. Something to think about. But thanks.

So I would not need to pay for the car in full? Just a deposit? That sounds even better...but will most people or dealers accept this?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.06.2013, 19:41
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Morcote
Posts: 149
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
SamM has earned some respectSamM has earned some respect
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
To any EF car buyer: This is the best way how you can do it.
To any EF car seller: This is the absolute worst way how you can do it.
I may as well embrace my ignorance...why is this the worst way for a seller?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04.06.2013, 19:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
I may as well embrace my ignorance...why is this the worst way for a seller?
Because if you crash the car while on the seller's plates, the seller's insurance pays!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04.06.2013, 19:58
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Morcote
Posts: 149
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
SamM has earned some respectSamM has earned some respect
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
Because if you crash the car while on the seller's plates, the seller's insurance pays!

Tom
Ah ha!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04.06.2013, 20:00
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,741
Groaned at 2,214 Times in 1,647 Posts
Thanked 36,966 Times in 17,503 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How quick can it be to buy and register a used car in 2 different cantons?

Quote:
View Post
So I would not need to pay for the car in full? Just a deposit? That sounds even better...but will most people or dealers accept this?
As long as you don't intend on collecting the car then and there, yes.

I've done the 'drive on other peoples plates' twice:

1) A co-worker and his wife (both Swiss) moved to the US, and she sold me her car (on payments, no less).

2) A friend gave me back the motorcycle I'd given him 6 years earlier (he'd gotten over his mid-life crisis)

I've also borrowed dealer plates (did 6k km on one of my bikes with them, as we had some problems registering it as I had imported it new from Italy), but I'm friendly with several garages/dealers.

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ear Thermometer: Can it be used on a dog? Mrs. Doolittle Pet corner 18 05.08.2013 08:50
Child Allowance - parents work in different cantons. How to claim? bobo_97 Finance/banking/taxation 7 28.03.2013 09:04
How to Register your Car In Maur fire1836 Transportation/driving 11 01.10.2012 12:13
How long does it take to buy/process car from dealer used hayleyob Transportation/driving 10 01.10.2011 11:48
Can I Live Register in 2 Cantons? thecapaccino Permits/visas/government 9 16.10.2007 18:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0