English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/180055-car-engine-cleaning-pre-mfk-test.html)

DadaSun 18.06.2013 15:57

Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test
 
Hello,

I bought a car from a local garage in Zurich a couple of weeks ago. The MFK test is due next week and I am looking for any garage that can help cleaning the bottom of the car as well as the engine for the MFK test. Techinical checks have already been done by the seller and so only need a proper clean per the swiss standard.

Really appreciate if you can recommend...

Thanks
Daa

TidakApa 18.06.2013 16:12

Re: Car wash (basel) pre mfk test - urgent help
 
You know....... it's actually faster to just type "Car Wash" into the search engine at the top right to find threads like this

I think post 12 or so has the info you're looking for.

The Real Stig 18.06.2013 16:14

Re: Car wash (basel) pre mfk test - urgent help
 
In my 5 years of being here and going to 2 MFK checks I have not had my car cleaned professionally but decided to take a weekend to go to a car wash and take the underbody wash and auto polish option to get the outside clean.

Inside, vacuum and some cleaning does the trick.

Once done, I've popped open the hood and taken a damp cloth to clean it out as much as possible.

Total cost = 20 CHF for the wash and 2 hours of your time.

However, if you do want to get the car prepared professionally, then you can visit this garage that I know. It'll cost around 90 to 100 CHF to steam clean the engine bay and wash / prep the car.

Here is the address in Birsfelden.

http://www.autotechnikbirsfelden.ch/

alanshearer 18.06.2013 19:40

Re: Car wash (basel) pre mfk test - urgent help
 
Just had the MFK today and must say it was quick and they were really efficient? No major problems only my rear fog lights? They did remark that I have the engine cleaned. Also to renove my old vignette off the windscreen and remove my nodding dog from the back shelf:rolleyes: but over all not a scary experience at all and puts the MOT system in the UK to shame.

Ace1 19.06.2013 10:48

Re: Car wash (basel) pre mfk test - urgent help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real Stig (Post 1907063)
In my 5 years of being here and going to 2 MFK checks I have not had my car cleaned professionally but decided to take a weekend to go to a car wash and take the underbody wash and auto polish option to get the outside clean.

What a weird idea. I've had cars through the MFK a number of times and never even considered cleaning them. Sure, any signs of oil in the engine area will result in a fail which can be avoided with a steam clean, but unless the car's so dirty it might disguise bodywork damage I can't for the life of me see why anyone would bother.

Probably the most dirty we've had tested was when we moved to OW and had the 5-y-o- Peugeot and 9-y-o Volvo tested there. Neither of them received even a cursory wash, inside, outside or in the engine area. Both flew through the test without problems. And it was winter time, so they, particularly the Volvo, were really quite dirty.

The Real Stig 19.06.2013 11:40

Re: Car wash (basel) pre mfk test - urgent help
 
LOL! It's not so weird when you know people who have had their cars sent back because they were too dirty.

Besides, not everyone wants to drive around in a messy car. Even without the MFK I take my car to the car wash every 2 - 3 weeks and give it the full once over.

glinaa 19.06.2013 14:11

Re: Car wash (basel) pre mfk test - urgent help
 
The MFK invitation I got stated that the car should be clean.

DadaSun 25.06.2013 22:17

Re: Car wash (basel) pre mfk test - urgent help
 
Thank you all for the info. Much appreciated. I will update once mine is done!

ecb 25.06.2013 22:30

Re: Car wash (basel) pre mfk test - urgent help
 
Ours was sent back for not being clean underneath ... and I had taken it to the carwash place and had the unterboden wash programme done. So took it to our dealer and they cleaned it assiduously (i waited - it took 40 mins) but the car passed through no problem after that.

Who knows.

Gaz8000 26.06.2013 15:04

Re: Car wash (basel) pre mfk test - urgent help
 
How do they check Porsches? Do they drop the engine out just to check for oil?

Village Idiot 05.09.2013 11:24

Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
It's time to take one of our cars into to have it's MFK. The last time my car was due for an MFK, I took it to the Stop-and-Go in Weil-am-Rhein where they charged me EUR25 to clean the engine and underside. I turned up at the MFK and was scolded because the engine wasn't clean enough.

This time around, I don't want to take chances, and given that it's a diesel, it will probably need a good scrubbing. The dealer wants more than CHF1'000 to service and prepare the car for the MFK (despite having serviced the car only 1'500KM and 8 months ago). Switzerlanded.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some place to have the engine and chassis professional steam-cleaned in Basel? Before anyone responds that I should take it to a self-wash place and do it myself, I'll point out again that I'm really looking for a thorough, proper steam clean... (But given that this EF, I'm sure I'll get that advice regardless.) :D

fatmanfilms 05.09.2013 11:34

Re: Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Village Idiot (Post 1968170)

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some place to have the engine and chassis professional steam-cleaned in Basel? Before anyone responds that I should take it to a self-wash place and do it myself, I'll point out again that I'm really looking for a thorough, proper steam clean... (But given that this EF, I'm sure I'll get that advice regardless.) :D

I have used a jet wash for 8 tests successfully, they did mention something last time but the car still passed. I would not get too worried. :D

Sean Connery 05.09.2013 11:36

Re: Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
be careful when steam-cleaning your engine, according to the guy who valeted my car, he uses brushes under the bonnet.

the reason for the cleaning is so that they can locate any leaks. Was it clean enough for that?

I did mine down south and did not clean underneath ;)

Village Idiot 05.09.2013 11:38

Re: Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
A little web research shows that the local TCS service center will do the cleaning for CHF160-

http://www.tcs.ch/de/der-club/meine-...-fuellinsdorf/

Sie müssen Ihr Fahrzeug vorführen? Sie wollen Ihr Fahrzeug verkaufen? Da ist eine Motor- und Chassisreinigung nicht nur ein "Muss", sondern schafft Mehrwerte. Die Kosten für die Reinigung haben Sie im Nu wieder verdient:



Motor-/Chassis-Reinigung (MFK) TCS-Mitglieder Nicht-Mitglieder Motor-Reinigung

CHF 70.-

CHF 90.-

Motor-/Chassis-Reinigung

CHF 130.-

CHF 160.-

Village Idiot 05.09.2013 11:40

Re: Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 1968186)
I have used a jet wash for 8 tests successfully, they did mention something last time but the car still passed. I would not get too worried. :D

I've seen all the stories on here about people passing with nothing more than a jetwash, but after my experience last time (having had it 'professionally' cleaned and looking spic-and-span to my eyes), I don't want to take any chances. It's my wife's car, and she'll be taking the car for the MFK.

There'll be no end of grief if she gets an earful for it being too dirty. Having it cleaned to 'Swiss-clean' standards is money well spent in this case. :p

Village Idiot 25.09.2013 21:17

Re: Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Village Idiot (Post 1968199)
There'll be no end of grief if she gets an earful for it being too dirty. Having it cleaned to 'Swiss-clean' standards is money well spent in this case. :p

Well, talk about a plan that backfired. Took the car to the TCS today, and the engine is clean-as-a-whistle. Unfortunately, they've managed to get water into the electrics, leaving me with:

- Glow plug warning
- Check engine light
- Fan that continues to run after motor is turned off
- Water pump that continues to start/stop after the motor is turned off
- Alarm system that does not recognize key
- Flat battery
- Alternator that refuses to charge
- Car enters 'limp home' mode, limiting engine revs to 3000 rpm

In their defense, it's an Italian car. It was never going to react well with water. But I chose the TCS because I thought they would be the 'no-hassle pros' with this, and that's why they were so expensive.

I'll miss my MFK because I can't get my car started, and now I've got to convince the TCS that this is their mess and that they need to sort it. It'll take another day out of my life to get everything sorted out.

Not a happy camper. :mad: :mad: :mad:

rob1 25.09.2013 21:24

Re: Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
"No hassle pros" kevin the knuckle dragged who washes the car after dropping the old rag on the floor 20 times.

jmf 25.09.2013 21:51

Re: Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
I think I saw a MFK-Wash booth at ATU. Anyone tried it?

(my MFK invitation is almost a year overdue, so expecting it any day now :p)

fatmanfilms 25.09.2013 21:59

Re: Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmf (Post 1983405)
I think I saw a MFK-Wash booth at ATU. Anyone tried it?

(my MFK invitation is almost a year overdue, so expecting it any day now :p)

I know a place in Dallikon with a lift etc where you can do underbody cleaning.

fatmanfilms 25.09.2013 22:00

Re: Engine steam cleaning in Basel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Village Idiot (Post 1983376)
Well, talk about a plan that backfired. Took the car to the TCS today, and the engine is clean-as-a-whistle. Unfortunately, they've managed to get water into the electrics, leaving me with:

- Glow plug warning
- Check engine light
- Fan that continues to run after motor is turned off
- Water pump that continues to start/stop after the motor is turned off
- Alarm system that does not recognize key
- Flat battery
- Alternator that refuses to charge
- Car enters 'limp home' mode, limiting engine revs to 3000 rpm

In their defense, it's an Italian car. It was never going to react well with water. But I chose the TCS because I thought they would be the 'no-hassle pros' with this, and that's why they were so expensive.

I'll miss my MFK because I can't get my car started, and now I've got to convince the TCS that this is their mess and that they need to sort it. It'll take another day out of my life to get everything sorted out.

Not a happy camper. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Look for a loose connection on a plug to the engine management system.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0