Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08.04.2014, 08:16
ced ced is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 8 Posts
ced has earned some respectced has earned some respect
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Since we're listing the benefits of biking, let's not forget the eco-argument A lot of people in Zurich use their car to commute by themselves = (on average) 8.8l/100km vs approx 6l/100km. As a back of envelope calculation, that would mean that for every 1,000 car commuters on the Zurich - Zug/Luzern roundtrip, approximately 3 tonnes of gas would be saved if they were on motorbikes. In addition to the time saving benefit of not having to wait at the motorway exits / be able to take over traffic jams in the tunnels thanks to their ability to weave thus alleviating the wait for those in cars also (to be fair, anyone doing that commute should really be using a train...)




Quote:
View Post
Peas and sand. That's why it's legal in many countries because it makes ALL traffic flow faster, including the cars. The bikes in front of you filtered to make your wait shorter.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08.04.2014, 08:55
Connor MacLeod's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: here
Posts: 779
Groaned at 94 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 2,485 Times in 821 Posts
Connor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond reputeConnor MacLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Of course they can, just don't get caught and if some irate motorist, furious because he is stuck in traffic shouts at you, flip him/her the bird as you drive off into the sunset.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Connor MacLeod for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 08.04.2014, 09:02
ced ced is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 8 Posts
ced has earned some respectced has earned some respect
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Works until some madman is determined to catch up with you for flipping him off and then ram you from behind / the side (yes, this has happened to me, though somewhere a little more exotic)...

Quote:
View Post
Of course they can, just don't get caught and if some irate motorist, furious because he is stuck in traffic shouts at you, flip him/her the bird as you weave in and out the traffic all the way to the front.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08.04.2014, 10:53
swissrob's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bülach
Posts: 397
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 381 Times in 175 Posts
swissrob has earned the respect of manyswissrob has earned the respect of manyswissrob has earned the respect of many
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

I always filter when it busy and to date have never been fined, In fact I once followed a police motorcycle rider filtering. I never filter on the right as that's dangerous but will filter between two lines of stationery traffic and try not to cross solid white lines. I will only go to the front of the que if there is room. Most car drivers are happy with this and some even move over a little to let me pass but they probably own a motorcycle too.

If you are considerate and filter at a slow speed then I think its ok. Im sure all the people on here who are complaining would do the same if you owned two wheels!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank swissrob for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 08.04.2014, 12:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,936
Groaned at 116 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 5,865 Times in 2,079 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Quote:
View Post
park on really wide pavements

pedestrians need 2 meters space from the wall to the curb. if there is more, u are less likely to get a ticket

source: I got a ticket for parking leaving 1.75m for pedestrians. was 150.-
AFAIK, MOTORbikes are not allowed to park on the pavement, only bikes are allowed to do that and only if they leave at least 1.5m space. However, since it is illegal to park motorbikes on parking spaces for cars or bikes, the Zurich police seem to use a bit of common sense - if you are not parked in a way that causes any inconvenience, nothing happens. At least that was the case when I had a Vespa. This also means that you need to be extra, extra thoughtful when you park, think about how your motorbike standing there may affect others - for instance, how would it affect a blind person or someone in a wheelchair? I think it boils down to if the majority of motorbike owners act courteously, people shouldn't develop the kind of irrational hatred that you see directed against cyclists.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 23.04.2014, 13:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Affoltern Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 10 Posts
DutchMike has become a little unpopular
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

I have to say MotorBike driver in Switserland are diffrent what i'm used to in
Alot of European country

I don't mind moving the car or give room when i see them comming
Basicly had to get used to not getting thanked for it,
(the kick or the small wave)

Weird because in a country where you are thanked and welcomed everywhere all the time, for motorbike drivers this is not counting ?

Yes offcourse sometimes they anoys me

Example when i'm the first at a traffic light and the motor bike comes past and stands infront of me, and then when it becomes green they slowly accelerates away. But ohwel this happens once in a while

In the end i just have to say i don't get upset at all, the reason is quite simple ask yourself why do you get upset ? because they are at work earlier ? swallow you anger buy a bike and join them

Be friendly to somebody that made that desission before you did
And if you dont want to drive a bike wait the in line like everybody else

Last edited by DutchMike; 23.04.2014 at 13:57. Reason: forgot questionmark
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 23.04.2014, 14:11
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,908
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,395 Times in 2,931 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Dear Mike
Those two-wheelers don't have time to wave a thanks to you.

In the Swiss-German region, they're still in fear of being cut up by a car driver who knows the law and must be the police to stop them filtering.

In Romandie and Ticino, the two-wheelers are too busy with one hand on the bars and the other servicing their cigarette that they have nothing to wave with.

I hope this makes you understand why you're not loved?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 23.04.2014, 14:25
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,218
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,176 Times in 2,523 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

I think that filtering should remain illegal for the following reasons:

1. Overtaking without having anywhere to get back into the queue

2. Suddenly finding a traffic island obstructing the way

3. Not being aware of pedestrians crossing between stationary traffic in a queue

4. Not being aware of traffic allowing a vehicle to pull out from a side road

5. Not being aware of traffic indicating to turn across the path of the motorcyclist

I have seen near misses with all of these in the UK on several occasions. In all cases it appeared to be the motorcyclist who was not paying attention
__________________
"I'll say I can't tell you when, But if my spirit is strong, I know it can't be long, No questions I'm not alone, Somehow I'll find my way home" Rod
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 23.04.2014, 14:33
xynth's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 823
Groaned at 37 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,951 Times in 564 Posts
xynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Quote:
View Post
Dear Mike
Those two-wheelers don't have time to wave a thanks to you.

In the Swiss-German region, they're still in fear of being cut up by a car driver who knows the law and must be the police to stop them filtering.

In Romandie and Ticino, the two-wheelers are too busy with one hand on the bars and the other servicing their cigarette that they have nothing to wave with.

I hope this makes you understand why you're not loved?
When in the car, I always give room to 'bikers filtering through and I try to give them space on the road in general because I'm a biker myself and I hate it when some douchecanoe tailgates me. Being tailgated while in a car is annoying, being tailgated in a bike is a really dangerous situation since if the nutjob fails to brake in time and bumps me, I fly off and do a lot of involuntary acrobatics.

On the bike, I'm at the point where I wave or nod "thanks!" to mostly everyone who is not an idiot and does not cut in front of me. The worst I see is muppets from Schwyz slowly creeping out onto the road from an obscure point, as if they know that they are being naughty, but somehow assume that they can sneak out onto the road unnoticed..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank xynth for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 23.04.2014, 14:39
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,908
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,395 Times in 2,931 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Quote:
View Post
I think that filtering should remain illegal for the following reasons:

1. Overtaking without having anywhere to get back into the queue

2. Suddenly finding a traffic island obstructing the way

3. Not being aware of pedestrians crossing between stationary traffic in a queue

4. Not being aware of traffic allowing a vehicle to pull out from a side road

5. Not being aware of traffic indicating to turn across the path of the motorcyclist

I have seen near misses with all of these in the UK on several occasions. In all cases it appeared to be the motorcyclist who was not paying attention
to be honest, most of these can happen when you're not filtering.

filter with care, filter not much quicker than other traffic and you're OK.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 23.04.2014, 14:43
xynth's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 823
Groaned at 37 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,951 Times in 564 Posts
xynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Quote:
View Post
I think that filtering should remain illegal for the following reasons:

1. Overtaking without having anywhere to get back into the queue

2. Suddenly finding a traffic island obstructing the way

3. Not being aware of pedestrians crossing between stationary traffic in a queue

4. Not being aware of traffic allowing a vehicle to pull out from a side road

5. Not being aware of traffic indicating to turn across the path of the motorcyclist

I have seen near misses with all of these in the UK on several occasions. In all cases it appeared to be the motorcyclist who was not paying attention
I think at least some of these points are easily solvable:

1. Just like with overtaking, you only filter when you have a clear view of the situation and there is enough room for you in case things get hairy. I mean, one has to apply common sense. Without common sense, overtaking is also dangerous.
2. This is mostly an issue in fast moving traffic, in which case common sense overtaking rules apply again. In slow traffic, you just stop at the island in the worst case. The presence of islands should be easily visible, and if you don't have good visibility, you shouldn't overtake/filter.
3. Please correct me if I'm wrong but pedestrians are not supposed to cross if there is no crossing. Filtering motorbikes are the least of the peds worries in this case, since oncoming traffic might be moving fast and they have no chance to see the person crossing either. People who do this are Darwin award worthy. Getting hit by a fairly slow moving bike is not nearly as bad as being pancaked by a van/lorry/bus.
4. and 5. are again situations commonly encountered when overtaking and are easily solved by not overtaking (or filtering). Obviously if there is a solid line or intersection (e.g. overtaking not allowed), then filtering should also not be allowed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank xynth for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 23.04.2014, 14:57
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,218
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,176 Times in 2,523 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Quote:
View Post
to be honest, most of these can happen when you're not filtering.

filter with care, filter not much quicker than other traffic and you're OK.
Quote:
View Post
I think at least some of these points are easily solvable:

1. Just like with overtaking, you only filter when you have a clear view of the situation and there is enough room for you in case things get hairy. I mean, one has to apply common sense. Without common sense, overtaking is also dangerous.
2. This is mostly an issue in fast moving traffic, in which case common sense overtaking rules apply again. In slow traffic, you just stop at the island in the worst case. The presence of islands should be easily visible, and if you don't have good visibility, you shouldn't overtake/filter.
3. Please correct me if I'm wrong but pedestrians are not supposed to cross if there is no crossing. Filtering motorbikes are the least of the peds worries in this case, since oncoming traffic might be moving fast and they have no chance to see the person crossing either. People who do this are Darwin award worthy. Getting hit by a fairly slow moving bike is not nearly as bad as being pancaked by a van/lorry/bus.
4. and 5. are again situations commonly encountered when overtaking and are easily solved by not overtaking (or filtering). Obviously if there is a solid line or intersection (e.g. overtaking not allowed), then filtering should also not be allowed.
Yes, all of these could be solved with more common sense. That doesn't always seem to prevail.

With the pedestrian situation, I guess that they are also to blame but in congested traffic areas there is sometimes little alternative. Not all traffic queues occur near crossings
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 23.04.2014, 15:06
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,908
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,395 Times in 2,931 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

I'd like to point out I was not filtering when the dopey bint in the car drove into the side of me last year. In fact I've never had a filtering incident that falls into any of your description other than going around a traffic island the wrong way due to inconsiderate car drivers.

It (the island) was not suddenly in the way, though....it was, from what I could see, stationary
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 11.11.2016, 12:07
Gaz69's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gaz69 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Glad I read this thread. I could have been in so much trouble... When I had my bike in the UK I always filtered through traffic.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Gaz69 for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:29
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 139
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
grnfish has annoyed a few people around heregrnfish has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

You still can do it just follow basic rules:

- filter when the traffic is moving slow (max 40 km/h)
- when filtering do not cross solid white lines (when double solid = double fine )
- look if there is no police car (just a prevention) and stop filtering
- do not overtake on the right hand side (local or motorways)

Then you should be OK.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at grnfish for this post:
  #36  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:44
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Coppet
Posts: 131
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 121 Times in 47 Posts
acf69 is considered knowledgeableacf69 is considered knowledgeableacf69 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Quote:
View Post
Since we're listing the benefits of biking, let's not forget the eco-argument A lot of people in Zurich use their car to commute by themselves = (on average) 8.8l/100km vs approx 6l/100km. As a back of envelope calculation, that would mean that for every 1,000 car commuters on the Zurich - Zug/Luzern roundtrip, approximately 3 tonnes of gas would be saved if they were on motorbikes. In addition to the time saving benefit of not having to wait at the motorway exits / be able to take over traffic jams in the tunnels thanks to their ability to weave thus alleviating the wait for those in cars also (to be fair, anyone doing that commute should really be using a train...)


An opposing view...


http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexbere.../#2399b25e69fb
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11.11.2016, 15:07
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 7,772
Groaned at 64 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 11,204 Times in 5,090 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Quote:
View Post
You still can do it just follow basic rules:

- filter when the traffic is moving slow (max 40 km/h)
- when filtering do not cross solid white lines (when double solid = double fine )
- look if there is no police car (just a prevention) and stop filtering
- do not overtake on the right hand side (local or motorways)

Then you should be OK.
You should brush up your knowledge of traffic rules.

Double or single solid lines are treated the same.
Also hatched ares are strictly of limits.
Crossing any of the above can lead to a license loss.
Overtaking on the right is allowed inside city limits if you do switch lanes twice.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 11.11.2016, 17:18
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 139
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
grnfish has annoyed a few people around heregrnfish has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Quote:
View Post
You should brush up your knowledge of traffic rules.

Double or single solid lines are treated the same.
Also hatched ares are strictly of limits.
Crossing any of the above can lead to a license loss.
Overtaking on the right is allowed inside city limits if you do switch lanes twice.
I wish you fantastic driving experience with all of that in line... be more biker (do you own a motor bike? I'm curious....)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at grnfish for this post:
  #39  
Old 11.11.2016, 17:26
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 7,772
Groaned at 64 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 11,204 Times in 5,090 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

Quote:
View Post
I wish you fantastic driving experience with all of that in line... be more biker (do you own a motor bike? I'm curious....)
Too many biker do not know the rules. Risk there license, but avoid the simple fines, and do not even the legal stuff to begin with. Crazy.

Gaining one or two minutes in the city are not worth a potential license loss.
Gaining 10 minutes is worth risking CHF 100.
Gaining 15 minutes doing legal stuff. Free.
Cruising on the open road. Price less.

Go out of the city and enjoy the curves and alps.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12.11.2016, 08:31
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,210
Groaned at 104 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,882 Times in 2,564 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can motorbikes filter in traffic now

It has taken me ages to get used to the concept of filtering here on Malta, I would patiently wait in traffic where people in their cars would look at me as if I was stupid, scooter and rollers and motorbikes would weave in and out of traffic and I would be standing behind a Kia feeling like a dork and wondering if I too could weave in and out of traffic.
Now Iron Pig and I weave with the same aplomb as other two wheelers but it still doesn´t feel right.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I find extractor fan filter-metal mesh (ZH) RK83 Housing in general 7 14.01.2014 01:23
Does anyone know where I can purchase a HEPA air filter? Susie-Q Other/general 3 09.06.2012 20:17
initiative to allow motorbikes to filter in traffic rob1 Transportation/driving 191 25.05.2012 12:11
Which motorbikes can I drive on a standard licence? Papa Goose Transportation/driving 11 11.02.2012 17:37
Where can I buy a ND400 hoya filter? anirbanjoy Entertainment & dining 2 12.02.2010 00:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0