Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.05.2014, 00:19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 155
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 21 Posts
varioplus has earned some respectvarioplus has earned some respect
Selling a car - refund of tax, registration, insurance ... ?

Hello,

I'm thinking of selling my car.

Since it's not mid year yet, is it possible to get a refund of the annual fees that go with owning a car ? (like the registration, the tax, the insurance...)
If i remember correctly, when I bought it (mid-year) I only paid pro-rata to the #of days until the following year (for the insurance, I'm sure it was the case).

There is also the parking rent of course... (i have 3 month notice )

Just asking, maybe it's wiser for wait until year end although the sale price will drop.

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.05.2014, 00:27
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,918
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a car - refund of tax, registration, insurance ... ?

Once you sell the car and hand in the car plates to the traffic office, you will automatically get a refund of road tax and insurance,
but they need to know your bank account details.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.05.2014, 01:34
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,243
Groaned at 1,169 Times in 916 Posts
Thanked 25,138 Times in 12,036 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a car - refund of tax, registration, insurance ... ?

Quote:
View Post
Once you sell the car and hand in the car plates to the traffic office, you will automatically get a refund of road tax and insurance,
but they need to know your bank account details.
No, they don't.

They will send you money via post (I do this several times each year).

They will do it after the end of the current month.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.05.2014, 01:52
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,918
Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,539 Times in 5,936 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a car - refund of tax, registration, insurance ... ?

I have said it before, and I will say it again, everything down there in Lugano seems to be different to the rest of Switzerland.

In Bern (The capital city of Switzerland) the traffic office wrote and asked for the bank details. Also in Bern, the insurance Generali sent me a cheque by post. The income tax office in Bern sent me Fr 600 back by the postman, (That must be a first!)

So there is no hard and fast rule, is there?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29.02.2016, 14:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yazzz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Selling a car - refund of tax, registration, insurance ... ?

Quote:
View Post
Once you sell the car and hand in the car plates to the traffic office, you will automatically get a refund of road tax and insurance,
but they need to know your bank account details.
What if youre buying another car so you dont hand in your plates?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29.02.2016, 14:11
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,221
Groaned at 318 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,577 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a car - refund of tax, registration, insurance ... ?

Quote:
View Post
No, they don't.

They will send you money via post (I do this several times each year).

They will do it after the end of the current month.

Tom
Quote:
View Post
I have said it before, and I will say it again, everything down there in Lugano seems to be different to the rest of Switzerland.

In Bern (The capital city of Switzerland) the traffic office wrote and asked for the bank details. Also in Bern, the insurance Generali sent me a cheque by post. The income tax office in Bern sent me Fr 600 back by the postman, (That must be a first!)

So there is no hard and fast rule, is there?
Not just Lugano, Tom is right the refund for car tax comes as a gutschein in the post which you refund in the post office
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29.02.2016, 14:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,243
Groaned at 1,169 Times in 916 Posts
Thanked 25,138 Times in 12,036 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a car - refund of tax, registration, insurance ... ?

Quote:
View Post
What if youre buying another car so you dont hand in your plates?
They will calculate the new amounts, and either send a bill or a refund.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29.02.2016, 14:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Adliswil, ZH
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
dhingraz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Selling a car - refund of tax, registration, insurance ... ?

Quote:
View Post
Not just Lugano, Tom is right the refund for car tax comes as a gutschein in the post which you refund in the post office
Agreed, In Zurich too, the voucher comes via post and you need to go to the post office for collecting the cash.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29.02.2016, 14:58
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,243
Groaned at 1,169 Times in 916 Posts
Thanked 25,138 Times in 12,036 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a car - refund of tax, registration, insurance ... ?

Quote:
View Post
Not just Lugano, Tom is right the refund for car tax comes as a gutschein in the post which you refund in the post office
Actually, they've recently changed policy in Ticino, and now ask for bank info.

I don't bother, I just wait until I re-register something, and they re-calculate.

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Tax, Insurance and Parking refund when selling a car Loz1983 Transportation/driving 8 16.05.2013 12:40
Driving License/Registration/Car Insurance mikepennick Transportation/driving 1 15.10.2011 23:57
What to do first? (License Exchange, Car Registration or Car Insurance) eds27 Transportation/driving 4 31.07.2009 21:49
Car is kaputt - cancelling insurance-refund? maudthecat Insurance 6 11.06.2009 20:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0