Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 02.12.2014, 20:57
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,294
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

So they're using continual videoing, to record the many thousands of licence plates, per day; number plate recognition technology to compare with received payments ...... all to reduce labour costs, relying heavily on the tech.

Gawd help us when the server crashes.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 03.12.2014, 00:16
Castro's Avatar
ŗ la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,930
Groaned at 189 Times in 152 Posts
Thanked 18,563 Times in 5,916 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Quote:
View Post
So they're using continual videoing, to record the many thousands of licence plates, per day; number plate recognition technology to compare with received payments ...... all to reduce labour costs, relying heavily on the tech.

Gawd help us when the server crashes.
The congestion charging system in central London has been in operation for over a decade, that is far more complex than a linear flow of traffic past some cameras.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03.12.2014, 01:23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 53
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Batcow is considered knowledgeableBatcow is considered knowledgeableBatcow is considered knowledgeable
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from late November 2014

Also if you're driving to the UK through the Channel Tunnel book your ticket in advance, don't just show up or it'll cost a fortune.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03.12.2014, 08:19
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,711
Groaned at 467 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 19,019 Times in 10,491 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from late November 2014

Quote:
View Post
Also if you're driving to the UK through the Channel Tunnel book your ticket in advance, don't just show up or it'll cost a fortune.
Ah, it costs a fortune anyway compared to getting the ferry. No chance of a nice cooked meal on board either.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03.12.2014, 08:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,235
Groaned at 107 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,069 Times in 688 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from late November 2014

Quote:
View Post
Ah, it costs a fortune anyway compared to getting the ferry. No chance of a nice cooked meal on board either.

I'm not sure about that 'nice cooked meal' bit.
OK it was about 7 years ago. My late wife and I took an early P+O ferry from Dover. Went to have breakfast. Enormous queue. Impossible. Went to the 'have breakfast served' room. Same breakfast as in self-service but more expensive. And terrible. Everything had obviously been 'cooked' (if that's the word to be used here) during the night. Complained at the cash desk on the way out - got a shrug. Wrote to P+O and complained - they sent us a meal voucher for our next crossing...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Busby for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 03.12.2014, 20:41
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,294
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from late November 2014

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure about that 'nice cooked meal' bit.
OK it was about 7 years ago. My late wife and I took an early P+O ferry from Dover. Went to have breakfast. Enormous queue. Impossible. Went to the 'have breakfast served' room. Same breakfast as in self-service but more expensive. And terrible. Everything had obviously been 'cooked' (if that's the word to be used here) during the night. Complained at the cash desk on the way out - got a shrug. Wrote to P+O and complained - they sent us a meal voucher for our next crossing...
They were just being helpful in case it was a rough crossing ...... nothing worse than bringing-up and retching on an empty stomach.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 29.12.2014, 13:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
darreng has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

I went through in my swiss registered car and thought about not bothering with the now exorbitant £2.50 charge. They make £1/2 million per day!!!

In the end I decided to ring them and pay. As usual you get press 1 for this 5 for that. When you eventually get through I paid. I asked them what happens with foreign vehicles and non payment. The told me....'a warning letter will be sent out permitting 14 days to pay without extra fines.'. After 14 days the fines start.

Last year I received a french speeding fine. They had no trouble looking up my swiss address. The European wide Erasmus database is shared automatically apparently.

If I had known, I would have waited for the warning since it is risk free. On their website they say they use european debt recovery agencies. Mind you, sending a warning letter is going to cost not far off £2.50, so would they really bother? I would be interested to hear non payers' experiences especially of the dartford crossing.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at darreng for this post:
  #68  
Old 29.12.2014, 13:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
darreng has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Yes. You used to queue a little a the dartford crossing. Now you have to wait in a telephone queue to pay. Press 1 for this 5 for that. Is this really progress!!?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 29.12.2014, 13:19
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,711
Groaned at 467 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 19,019 Times in 10,491 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Quote:
View Post
I went through in my swiss registered car and thought about not bothering with the now exorbitant £2.50 charge. They make £1/2 million per day!!!

In the end I decided to ring them and pay. As usual you get press 1 for this 5 for that. When you eventually get through I paid. I asked them what happens with foreign vehicles and non payment. The told me....'a warning letter will be sent out permitting 14 days to pay without extra fines.'. After 14 days the fines start.

Last year I received a french speeding fine. They had no trouble looking up my swiss address. The European wide Erasmus database is shared automatically apparently.

If I had known, I would have waited for the warning since it is risk free. On their website they say they use european debt recovery agencies. Mind you, sending a warning letter is going to cost not far off £2.50, so would they really bother? I would be interested to hear non payers' experiences especially of the dartford crossing.
Quote:
View Post
Yes. You used to queue a little a the dartford crossing. Now you have to wait in a telephone queue to pay. Press 1 for this 5 for that. Is this really progress!!?
Not worth the hassle. Either set up an account to pre-pay before you go or pay up in person at one of the thousands of pay points along the way.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 29.12.2014, 13:32
Bozza's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 534
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 193 Posts
Bozza has earned some respectBozza has earned some respect
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Quote:
View Post
I went through in my swiss registered car and thought about not bothering with the now exorbitant £2.50 charge. They make £1/2 million per day!!!
I don't get the internet rage-to-charge ratio here. If you were crossing twice per day for a week, would be understandable but honestly

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Bozza for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 29.12.2014, 13:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,128
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Quote:
View Post
I went through in my swiss registered car and thought about not bothering with the now exorbitant £2.50 charge. They make £1/2 million per day!!!

In the end I decided to ring them and pay. As usual you get press 1 for this 5 for that. When you eventually get through I paid. I asked them what happens with foreign vehicles and non payment. The told me....'a warning letter will be sent out permitting 14 days to pay without extra fines.'. After 14 days the fines start.

Last year I received a french speeding fine. They had no trouble looking up my swiss address. The European wide Erasmus database is shared automatically apparently.

If I had known, I would have waited for the warning since it is risk free. On their website they say they use european debt recovery agencies. Mind you, sending a warning letter is going to cost not far off £2.50, so would they really bother? I would be interested to hear non payers' experiences especially of the dartford crossing.
In the UK only courts councils and police can issue fines or penalties. So their claim of fines is incorrect.

Debt collectors have ZERO legal standing and enforcement powers in absence of a court ruling.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 29.12.2014, 13:56
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,711
Groaned at 467 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 19,019 Times in 10,491 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Quote:
View Post
In the UK only courts councils and police can issue fines or penalties. So their claim of fines is incorrect.

Debt collectors have ZERO legal standing and enforcement powers in absence of a court ruling.
And, presumably, the UK government who are the ones running the remote payment scheme. Or, at least, SANEF UK is running it on their behalf.

"Youíll be sent a Penalty Charge Notice if you donít pay by midnight on the day after you made your crossing.
The penalty charge is £70 and must be paid within 28 days. Itís reduced to £35 if you pay within 14 days and increased to £105 if you donít pay. You also have to pay the crossing charge.
The Penalty Charge Notice will tell you how to pay."

https://www.gov.uk/dartford-crossing...ions-penalties
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 29.12.2014, 17:19
Castro's Avatar
ŗ la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,930
Groaned at 189 Times in 152 Posts
Thanked 18,563 Times in 5,916 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

I can't believe this thread is still going... It's simple to pay on line, fantastic value considering the €40 scam-a-thon to cross France and finally its achieved its objective of reducing the traffic around the crossing.

What's not to like?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 29.12.2014, 18:08
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,711
Groaned at 467 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 19,019 Times in 10,491 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Quote:
View Post
I can't believe this thread is still going... It's simple to pay on line, fantastic value considering the Ä40 scam-a-thon to cross France and finally its achieved its objective of reducing the traffic around the crossing.

What's not to like?
Well ... mostly.

http://www.brentwoodgazette.co.uk/Ma...ail/story.html

I don't agree with your fantastic value I'm afraid, Castro. If you multipled the Dartford charge (£2.50 to cover a distance of 1.45km) by the distance from joining the French motorway up to Calais the difference between the actual French cost is enormous. We join at Dole so would pay 51.50 Euros one way for a 608km trip. Multiple that distance by the £2.50 and you get a figure of over £1,000! The Crossing is probably the most expensive toll for distance covered in the whole of Europe is my guess.

Btw feel free to argue the math - because I know I'm not that good at it. Basis: call 608km 419 to allow for the almost half kilometre in the Dartford Crossing (608/1.45 = 419), multiple by 2.50 equals £1,047.50 to be exact - or not.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 29.12.2014, 18:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
darreng has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Fewer people may go over the crossing. But more go round the other way to get to the m1 or go on the local roads. Us drivers pay enough. Fed up of all of these creeping charges. The damned thing has been paid for many times over!
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 29.12.2014, 18:28
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,711
Groaned at 467 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 19,019 Times in 10,491 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

I agree darreng. Tolls should have been scrapped back in 2003 when the bridge was paid for. Unfortunately, makes too much money for the government for them to ever get rid of the charge. You can thank Mr. Blair for that, it was his government that decided to change the toll to a charge instead of getting rid of it as promised by the Tories.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 29.12.2014, 18:28
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 16,665
Groaned at 361 Times in 312 Posts
Thanked 26,492 Times in 10,813 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

I'm with Castro on this one. It's no big deal. The Irish use a similar system on parts of their motorway system. It wasn't the least bit onerous to use.

btw, comparisons with the French motorway system are not like for like. Try this - French bridge toll, €8.90 at peak times.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 29.12.2014, 18:40
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,272
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,568 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Quote:
View Post
I agree darreng. Tolls should have been scrapped back in 2003 when the bridge was paid for. Unfortunately, makes too much money for the government for them to ever get rid of the charge. You can thank Mr. Blair for that, it was his government that decided to change the toll to a charge instead of getting rid of it as promised by the Tories.
The Tories have had nearly five years to reverse the decision but chose not to. They are all out for easy income
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 29.12.2014, 18:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,128
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Quote:
View Post
And, presumably, the UK government who are the ones running the remote payment scheme. Or, at least, SANEF UK is running it on their behalf.

"Youíll be sent a Penalty Charge Notice if you donít pay by midnight on the day after you made your crossing.
The penalty charge is £70 and must be paid within 28 days. Itís reduced to £35 if you pay within 14 days and increased to £105 if you donít pay. You also have to pay the crossing charge.
The Penalty Charge Notice will tell you how to pay."

https://www.gov.uk/dartford-crossing...ions-penalties
They would have to have an agreement in place with other countries to enforce it. Last I checked CH isn't involved so it's up to the driver to decide.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #80  
Old 29.12.2014, 18:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,319
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,614 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dartford Crossing - toll payment changes from October 2014

Will just have to use it during the hours its free.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dartford




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changes to insurance coverage during pregnancy (effective from 1st March 2014) Pernilleskokken Family matters/health 7 23.03.2015 22:49
UPC Cablecom product changes Feb 2014 MajorGrubert TV/internet/telephone 66 04.06.2014 11:59
Road tax / changes for 2014 - any info ? jaudi Transportation/driving 3 30.11.2013 16:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0