Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 31.05.2014, 13:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

Hello Fellow EF,

I have a minor repair pending on my Range Rover Evoque due to a skid from black ice and hitting a wooden fence, which resulted in knocking off the sensor as it's embedded on the plastic wheel arch. The car has no dents or visible scratches from the incident.

The plastic bit on the wheel arch was popped back in but the sensor cable was detached and cannot be reattached by an amateur like me.

I've googled the sensor wire and the part costs around 120 GBP and the blue clips that attaches the plastic arch costs around 10 GBP.

The easiest option is to take it to the RR garage and get it fixed, but having seen various thread about expensive car repairs I'm wondering if this is a good idea?

The second option is to get it fixed and put it on the comprehensive insurance.

The third option is to take it to UK and get it fixed with all in cost of 250 GBP.

The car is on lease and I'm wondering if there's going to be adverse implications when returning the car if repairs done in Switzerland? Or if the returning value will be lower as it will have a repair record?

I don't want to hide anything but worried that for a minor replacement of sensor cable the garage might record this as a major incident, which may affect the future value of the car as I'm planning to make the final lump sum payment and keep the car at the end of the lease.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31.05.2014, 13:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

Quote:
Hello Fellow EF,

I have a minor repair pending on my Range Rover Evoque due to a skid from black ice and hitting a wooden fence, which resulted in knocking off the sensor as it's embedded on the plastic wheel arch. The car has no dents or visible scratches from the incident.

The plastic bit on the wheel arch was popped back in but the sensor cable was detached and cannot be reattached by an amateur like me.

I've googled the sensor wire and the part costs around 120 GBP and the blue clips that attaches the plastic arch costs around 10 GBP.

The easiest option is to take it to the RR garage and get it fixed, but having seen various thread about expensive car repairs I'm wondering if this is a good idea?

The second option is to get it fixed and put it on the comprehensive insurance.

The third option is to take it to UK and get it fixed with all in cost of 250 GBP.

The car is on lease and I'm wondering if there's going to be adverse implications when returning the car if repairs done in Switzerland? Or if the returning value will be lower as it will have a repair record?

I don't want to hide anything but worried that for a minor replacement of sensor cable the garage might record this as a major incident, which may affect the future value of the car as I'm planning to make the final lump sum payment and keep the car at the end of the lease.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's only recorded as a major event, if it's considered a non economic repair, cars have major repairs & are classes as accident free in CH.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 06.10.2014 at 19:58. Reason: removed name from quoted text
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31.05.2014, 14:09
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,185
Groaned at 316 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 2,127 Times in 928 Posts
treesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthy
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

Quote:
View Post
It's only recorded as a major event, if it's considered a non economic repair, cars have major repairs & are classes as accident free in CH.
whats a non economic repair?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31.05.2014, 14:13
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

Are you talking about the abs sensor here?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.06.2014, 11:47
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

Quote:
View Post
whats a non economic repair?

A repair that excess the value of the car when complete less the currant salvage value.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.06.2014, 12:05
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

How can I recommend a local garage when you don't state where you are? Big Brother won't come and bite you!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.06.2014, 13:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,185
Groaned at 316 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 2,127 Times in 928 Posts
treesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthy
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

Not to hijack the thread, but can you tell me how you like the Evoque?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.06.2014, 14:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

No not the ABS. It's the parking sensor, which seems to be linked to the front and back. They call this the front harness with a part number LR033949.

I know the CH garage's repair bill will make my eyes water so I'm tempted to drive to UK (combine it as a holiday) and get it fixed or find a local garage in Germany close to Basel.

Last edited by justarandomguy02; 01.06.2014 at 14:41. Reason: Location given
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.06.2014, 14:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

Quote:
View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but can you tell me how you like the Evoque?
It's the best car that I've ever owned in every category, from looks wise, fuel consumption, handling, reasonable price.

I've written quite extensively about this car on this forum, and as I'm rey via mobile device so can't share the link but do a search on Evoque and you'll find my comments on the Evoque.

One further thing I would add is that if you're planning to get one, don't get it in white as this colour is in fashion temporarily and you will soon get bored of it very quickly.

If I were to buy this car again, I would forego the park assist option and opt for 360 camera angle.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.06.2014, 14:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,608
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,056 Times in 597 Posts
axman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

Minor repair - do you mean a couple of hours of work? If we are talking fr.300-400, isn't going to the UK a bit of an overkill?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01.06.2014, 14:53
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Range Rover Evoque: Minor Repairs

Plus the inflated cost of anything that needs to be replaced, eg a freelander inlet manifold here is 5x the cost of the uk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
car, evoque, land rover, range rover, repair




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Range Rover Evoque annafelix Transportation/driving 35 09.02.2012 15:08
Range Rover OliverAndrews Transportation/driving 21 01.10.2010 17:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0