Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12.09.2014, 12:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,071
Groaned at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,526 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, we just made it up to keep Tom busy for some weeks.
Thought as much, changeable as ever.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12.09.2014, 12:09
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,737
Groaned at 360 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
20k after a year or two becomes 12k right? While 10k after a year or two becomes 6-7k - less depreciation although more possible maintenance costs. I have to find the sweet spot - that is all I need from you guys
Um - NO!

This is Switzerland - so things are a little different:
The sticker price of a used car is approximately 67% car value + 33% cost to prepare, sell, profit - this includes warranty, service, any minor bodywork fixes, MFk, etc etc

So, for a 10k car you are buying 6,700chf of metal. After 2 years (and without an MFK it will be worth around 4-5,000chf (depending on the car). This would create a dealer selling price of around 6-7,500chf.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 12.09.2014, 12:12
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 788
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 305 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
I see... Link updated but now I don't think it is good idea. But again...Weren't cars in that epoch really built to last?
BTW: why do you think it's French?
hahahahaha

You are a natural...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12.09.2014, 12:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Liestal
Posts: 83
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
dibbles has earned some respectdibbles has earned some respect
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

I don't see anyone notice that 10k CHF for a 250k km E220 is an insane price.

Buy in a neighbouring country and import... even with the import charges it will still be half the price
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dibbles for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 12.09.2014, 12:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 994
Groaned at 97 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 201 Posts
JakubB is considered unworthyJakubB is considered unworthyJakubB is considered unworthyJakubB is considered unworthy
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
hahahahaha

You are a natural...
Explain

Quote:
View Post
I don't see anyone notice that 10k CHF for a 250k km E220 is an insane price.

Buy in a neighbouring country and import... even with the import charges it will still be half the price
Ehh really thinking about buying in Germany, bringing it to my parents, leaving it there for 6 months and then coming back with it and declare it as my personal effects... :/
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12.09.2014, 12:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Liestal
Posts: 83
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
dibbles has earned some respectdibbles has earned some respect
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
Explain



Ehh really thinking about buying in Germany, bringing it to my parents, leaving it there for 6 months and then coming back with it and declare it as my personal effects... :/
The 6 months is the date from purchase to move... if you have already moved, which it looks like you have, then they will notice the date on the purchase slip and give you the bill anyway.

The import taxes aren't as mental as some make them out to be. I read of someone importing a Jag bought second hand for about 15k CHF in the UK & import taxes were about 2k CHF... the same jag would have been 40-50k CHF in Switzerland.

I had a quick search and found in a neighbouring country, a 2005 E280 CDI with 160k km on the clock, comprehensive top spec for 4500CHF, I would expect the import taxes to be under 2000CHF.

The petrol models are even less expensive... and with the cost of petrol in CH, my next car purchase is going to be getting me back behind a nice V8 again... I'm bored with diesel (or maybe a flat 6 )

Second hand car prices are absurd in this country... like a 2008 BMW M3 with 80k km for 80k CHF (30k CHF in other countries)... it boggles the mind how they get away with such absurdities.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dibbles for this useful post:
This user groans at dibbles for this post:
  #47  
Old 12.09.2014, 12:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,733
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 11,904 Times in 4,049 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
The import taxes aren't as mental as some make them out to be. I read of someone importing a Jag bought second hand for about 15k CHF in the UK & import taxes were about 2k CHF... the same jag would have been 40-50k CHF in Switzerland.
what does it cost to move the steering wheel to the left?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,071
Groaned at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,526 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
what does it cost to move the steering wheel to the left?
You mean the wrong side.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SOBEIT for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Liestal
Posts: 83
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
dibbles has earned some respectdibbles has earned some respect
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
what does it cost to move the steering wheel to the left?
I have found the second hand car prices in Germany and France to roughly equal those of the UK... so just buy in those countries and it is already on the left.

I'm not sure if he ever completed that conversion... but it would be 3-5k CHF in another country to do it in equivalent or better quality, unsure of how Swiss arbitrary inflation would increase that cost. If you were to grab the interior parts from a scrapyard, then it would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

I have been here since the beginning of last year and am still driving a right hand drive car with no trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:04
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,737
Groaned at 360 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
Second hand car prices are absurd in this country... like a 2008 BMW M3 with 80k km for 80k CHF (30k CHF in other countries)... it boggles the mind how they get away with such absurdities.
Challenge accepted
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
This user groans at dodgyken for this post:
  #51  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,733
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 11,904 Times in 4,049 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
Second hand car prices are absurd in this country... like a 2008 BMW M3 with 80k km for 80k CHF (30k CHF in other countries)... it boggles the mind how they get away with such absurdities.
the most expensive one i see on autoscout is 60k.
one with 90k km for 38k CHF

I wonder how you find such cars.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Liestal
Posts: 83
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
dibbles has earned some respectdibbles has earned some respect
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Much better... still inflated, but only by about 20-30% there.

The one I mentioned was at the Aesch BMW dealership... jaw dropped in disbelief... I wonder if they ever sold it?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:19
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,737
Groaned at 360 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
Much better... still inflated, but only by about 20-30% there.

The one I mentioned was at the Aesch BMW dealership... jaw dropped in disbelief... I wonder if they ever sold it?
I am not denying there is a difference BUT you were quoting over double.

You will pay 4% of the purchase price as duty + 12-15chf per 100kg + 8%MWST

Admittedly you can chop the foreign country MWST off the price - but you will also need to do an MFK etc. So the sticker price in Germany is a rough guide.

It is also worth considering it is far easier to lean on a local dealer to fix something a week after picking up the car than it is one 500km away in a foreign country. Additionally looking for the car, spending the time checking it out, picking it up etc will take longer.

For anyone spending big bucks or trying to buy something rare/unusual/valuable it can be worthwhile. But at the bottom end of the market I wouldn't even consider it. Switzerland exports "cheap" cars because they cost a lot to keep on the road - that won't change if you buy a "cheap" car abroad - you'll be hit for making CH-approved when you import it.
__________________
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Liestal
Posts: 83
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
dibbles has earned some respectdibbles has earned some respect
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

I didn't make the advertised price at Aesch dealership... they did... madness!



With your numbers there (thanks for that), the import costs on that better spec, lower km, newer E280 would be only 450-600CHF.

So that cost almost exactly half compared to the original advert in the opening post.

There would probably be some associated costs for the MFK... like engine bay steam cleaning (lol)... but that still should be under 1k CHF.

I would rather travel a couple of hundred km to save 4k CHF. Although I know the Swiss don't like travelling much... I was warned that the commute from Aesch to Kaiseraugst would be a "long" one... haha.

What are warranties on cars of this age like within CHF and DE/FR - I don't know that?

I am familiar with the UK where all dealers must supply minimum 3 months coverage by law... depending on the vehicle they may offer more... but that tends to be more for premium vehicles rather than something like these Mercs.

4k CHF for the possibility of not needing to travel a few hundred km to a dealership in case of an issue... effectively gambling 4k on 3/6 months of warranty maybe? For perhaps 20% potential for failure let's saw (yes, plucking number out of thin air that seems reasonable in my mind)... vs 4k that would cover an engine rebuild if needed a year down the line even.

I can see to some it may be worth it - but at the bottom end of the car market - to me, it would not be... but then I am more experienced and doing research for common problems to an era of vehicle before inspection & looking for failure points. Maybe simply luck but I've only ever picked one slightly dodgy vehicle out of the 12 i've owned and that was because i needed one on short notice for 2 months, had to buy that weekend and had the choice of only 2 acceptable vehicles for 700CHF equivalent and fancied the novelty of a vehicle quite unique to UK roads (Ford Probe). Even then it kept going for 6 months as the wife's daily driver for a while until we replaced it with something better... it would have still kept going, it just wasn't all that pleasant to drive.

Looking at risk/reward, it is at least worth considering other options, rather than ignoring them out of worry and convenience... for some people anyway, not all.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:35
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,908
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,395 Times in 2,931 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

UK dealers must cover non-declared faults within six months of sale. That's a nice safety net.

Buying a 10+ year old car from here....the only guarantee you might get is one you pay for but some do offer them.

Ergo linking to a cheap but bulletproof S-class. Around half the price of the originally-linked car and in a year you're not going to spend 4k on fuel.....and if it breaks, you just get another one..... The only important thing being the MFK....
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,145
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,635 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Aesch to kaiseraugst a long trip.. haha its not that far to walk!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Liestal
Posts: 83
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 26 Posts
dibbles has earned some respectdibbles has earned some respect
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
Aesch to kaiseraugst a long trip.. haha its not that far to walk!
Yup... I had a rather confused look on my face when one person said that and others agreed.

Makes me giggle now.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12.09.2014, 13:40
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 788
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 634 Times in 305 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
I don't see anyone notice that 10k CHF for a 250k km E220 is an insane price.

Buy in a neighbouring country and import... even with the import charges it will still be half the price
No no no you shouldnt have said that. Now you have ruined all our fun !!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jack of all trades. for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 12.09.2014, 14:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 994
Groaned at 97 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 201 Posts
JakubB is considered unworthyJakubB is considered unworthyJakubB is considered unworthyJakubB is considered unworthy
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

Quote:
View Post
UK dealers must cover non-declared faults within six months of sale. That's a nice safety net.

Buying a 10+ year old car from here....the only guarantee you might get is one you pay for but some do offer them.

Ergo linking to a cheap but bulletproof S-class. Around half the price of the originally-linked car and in a year you're not going to spend 4k on fuel.....and if it breaks, you just get another one..... The only important thing being the MFK....
See? After explanation I consider you are not that bad a fella Groan removed, thanks for advice

Quote:
View Post
I have found the second hand car prices in Germany and France to roughly equal those of the UK... so just buy in those countries and it is already on the left.

I'm not sure if he ever completed that conversion... but it would be 3-5k CHF in another country to do it in equivalent or better quality, unsure of how Swiss arbitrary inflation would increase that cost. If you were to grab the interior parts from a scrapyard, then it would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

I have been here since the beginning of last year and am still driving a right hand drive car with no trouble.
How did you insure your car????I have a RHD Volvo at the moment...

France is very close, Pontarlier is around 60km from Lausanne and I saw many dealers there. Problem is I still don't talk French (took a French course though).

The only thing is the declaration at the border - it is then when you pay the tax or you can do it later? AFAIK the custom clearance is needed prior to the registration in the Service Cantonal des automobiles et de la navigation.

Quote:
View Post
The 6 months is the date from purchase to move... if you have already moved, which it looks like you have, then they will notice the date on the purchase slip and give you the bill anyway.

The import taxes aren't as mental as some make them out to be. I read of someone importing a Jag bought second hand for about 15k CHF in the UK & import taxes were about 2k CHF... the same jag would have been 40-50k CHF in Switzerland.

I had a quick search and found in a neighbouring country, a 2005 E280 CDI with 160k km on the clock, comprehensive top spec for 4500CHF, I would expect the import taxes to be under 2000CHF.

The petrol models are even less expensive... and with the cost of petrol in CH, my next car purchase is going to be getting me back behind a nice V8 again... I'm bored with diesel (or maybe a flat 6 )

Second hand car prices are absurd in this country... like a 2008 BMW M3 with 80k km for 80k CHF (30k CHF in other countries)... it boggles the mind how they get away with such absurdities.
Damn... And I would like a diesel as I'm planning to travel a lot outside of CH and almost everywhere else diesel is actually cheaper (plus 400Nm of torque in some engines :P )

Quote:
View Post
No no no you shouldnt have said that. Now you have ruined all our fun !!!
I should groan on you for that....but meh :>

Last edited by JakubB; 12.09.2014 at 14:38.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12.09.2014, 15:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 994
Groaned at 97 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 201 Posts
JakubB is considered unworthyJakubB is considered unworthyJakubB is considered unworthyJakubB is considered unworthy
Re: Opinion on the car(s)

I got this responce about Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTD, automatic from 2009:

http://www.car4you.ch/alfa-romeo/159/4871746/detail/it

Quote:
Hello,

This offer is valid, and car is to us in Martigny to see.

I’ts a car of one custom, and this price is whitout warranty and
service and expertise. If you want new service + warranty + expertise
the price is Frs 11’000.-

The custom have make the last service at 101’572 Kms in 06.09.2011.

I phone to the custom now, and say to me : if you want this car to
take like this, the last price is Frs 6’500.-

Say me more and best regards.

Carline Automobiles Boisset SA

Boisset Jean-François
Khy khy...I'm speechless :/ They clearly know it is a piece of shait...

Last edited by JakubB; 12.09.2014 at 15:56.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need opinion on the spring-latex Hesseng ikea mattress. Nil General off-topic 4 10.05.2014 08:57
Opinion on Huawei G510 Littlestar TV/internet/telephone 12 30.11.2013 19:27
Your opinion on the price Marusha Transportation/driving 8 21.02.2011 00:33
Expensive car problem - Second opinion? peachy Transportation/driving 7 18.08.2008 20:49
An opinion on the whole Swiss social security system Tweener Insurance 39 01.03.2008 22:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0