Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 13.03.2015, 14:38
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 509
Groaned at 98 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 669 Times in 298 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Not saying this is the norm (and I've never used UBER) but there was an article in the local Lausanne paper this week. People working for UBER as a full time job, so working 14-15 hours straight trying to make a living.

http://www.lausannecites.ch/lactuali...sur-nos-routes
UBER Pop, yes I believe this is a true reflection, I had a BLACK but again like here could not average more than 30SFr an hour.

It isn't the amount of hours a driver drives but the amount of rest-time that ARV takes seriously (and rightly so). You must have 11 hours rest as in sleep or rsst without sitting in a car (except 1 or 2 times a week where 9 is allowed), so finishing at say 10pm with motor off to motor on (including way home journey) 9am. Even now when I work as a Limo driver sometimes it is a killer if I finish at say 9pm and have to start 8am...rules/law are there to protect driver and passengers.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 13.03.2015, 16:35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 250
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 143 Times in 85 Posts
Prishe has made some interesting contributions
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Even now when I work as a Limo driver sometimes it is a killer if I finish at say 9pm and have to start 8am...rules/law are there to protect driver and passengers.
But the article says (sorry it's in French) that there really is no way to check the drivers and their hours. Uber drivers aren't regulated like taxi and limo drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 13.03.2015, 21:26
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 509
Groaned at 98 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 669 Times in 298 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
But the article says (sorry it's in French) that there really is no way to check the drivers and their hours. Uber drivers aren't regulated like taxi and limo drivers.
With a taxi licence it isn't the company that has to check, the driver is freelance, the driver must prove his/her hours to the ARV inspectors (taxi pollice), in other words, the driver just like any driver who commits an offence will be the one who gets the rap should he/she break the law..

Just to complicate things Given that the drivers anyway work off the UBER app, UBER will know everything about the driver as he/she is tracked by his/her phone and that is how 'rides' prices are calculated, unless of course if he/she is offline and in that case he/she will not be working.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04.08.2015, 12:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VinniZH has no particular reputation at present
Re: UBER in Zurich

Yes, I used it many many times. The car was always clean, the drivers always friendly and the price is good too. (Zürich HB -> Wettingen about 45 CHF).

I'm never going to use normal Taxis again, their prices are absolutely insane.

If you want to know something about uber, ask me!

Last edited by 3Wishes; 04.08.2015 at 12:31. Reason: removed referral info
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04.08.2015, 12:36
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,130
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
If you want to know something about uber, ask me!
If you want to know something about old threads being dug up by a Newbie recommending something in glowing terms, ask me.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 04.08.2015, 13:22
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,807
Groaned at 227 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

I don't really see Zürich's taxis as being overpriced. If we don't use them much, that's because Zürich is essentially a public transport based city and who takes a taxi when you can hop on a tram?

Maybe Zürich's taxis could modernise in some ways. Free WiFi for example. But having said that, I don't recall having been on a taxi in any city that offered that.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17.08.2015, 22:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
marcosc has no particular reputation at present
Re: UBER in Zurich

I've used the standard Uber black car service twice in the ZH oberland area. First time was great -- I think I got a BMW 700 series, very comfy, nice driver and cheaper than taxi. Second time was a disappointment, driver was quite rude and did not seem to know the procedures very well. Perhaps it was a first day, so I'm inclined to try again next time.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 18.08.2015, 11:23
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,807
Groaned at 227 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I've used the standard Uber black car service twice in the ZH oberland area. First time was great -- I think I got a BMW 700 series, very comfy, nice driver and cheaper than taxi. Second time was a disappointment, driver was quite rude and did not seem to know the procedures very well. Perhaps it was a first day, so I'm inclined to try again next time.
Could you share with us the approximate fares you payed compared to regular taxi fares for the same trips? Was it just marginally cheaper or was the saving considerable?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 18.08.2015, 12:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,512
Groaned at 980 Times in 689 Posts
Thanked 17,525 Times in 6,867 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I don't really see Zürich's taxis as being overpriced. If we don't use them much, that's because Zürich is essentially a public transport based city and who takes a taxi when you can hop on a tram?

Maybe Zürich's taxis could modernise in some ways. Free WiFi for example. But having said that, I don't recall having been on a taxi in any city that offered that.
An Uber taxi is 30-60% cheaper depending on the service (Pop, Black Cab) you take.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 18.08.2015, 13:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Just to complicate things Given that the drivers anyway work off the UBER app, UBER will know everything about the driver as he/she is tracked by his/her phone and that is how 'rides' prices are calculated, unless of course if he/she is offline and in that case he/she will not be working.
I called Uber in Zuerich, and a regular taxi showed up in its place, and charged Uber rates.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 30.10.2015, 08:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
mot82 has earned some respectmot82 has earned some respect
Re: UBER in Zurich

How to find the Uber pop service in Zurich? The mobile app and the web didn't help me a lot on that.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 30.10.2015, 08:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,512
Groaned at 980 Times in 689 Posts
Thanked 17,525 Times in 6,867 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
How to find the Uber pop service in Zurich? The mobile app and the web didn't help me a lot on that.
It's, erm, in the mobile app on the slider before the "Uber X" option...?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 30.10.2015, 09:22
Arteemis's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 38 Posts
Arteemis has earned some respectArteemis has earned some respect
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
It's, erm, in the mobile app on the slider before the "Uber X" option...?
at the bottom of the app, there is a bubble on the left for Uber Pop...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 30.10.2015, 09:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
mot82 has earned some respectmot82 has earned some respect
Re: UBER in Zurich

Ah ok, thanks a lot. And out of curiosity, it's not possible to book something in advance for let's say 8pm in the evening, bookings are always for *now*?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 30.10.2015, 09:30
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,885
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

There was a kidnap case in the US where a woman was being held in an Air-B&B bedroom, she managed to call her mother, but Air-B&B operator refused to help at all with giving the B&B location to the girl's mother, who wanted to call the police. It only needs one very bad experience, and Uber will be really put to the test. If a passenger is raped or robbed in a Uber taxi, will the company, based in California, be willing or even able to help the police?

I applied in Bern to be a taxi driver, I did all the training and I then found that the wages for a normal 50 hour week, wouldn't reach Fr 750,- so I quit. The taxi companies make a killing, but regulated drivers earn very little, and receive heavy fines when they are caught cutting corners (For instance, taking a compulsory rest break by sitting in the car). One Bern driver was fined Fr 400,- for not leaving the taxi on his break. For his second offence he received a fine of Fr 4'000,-

I am happy with the concept of Uber, but the drivers must be registered with the local town authority: criminal record checks, health check, proving their insurance cover, car papers, etc. Otherwise the concept is like hitch hiking, with no safety net at all.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 30.10.2015, 09:36
Arteemis's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 38 Posts
Arteemis has earned some respectArteemis has earned some respect
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Ah ok, thanks a lot. And out of curiosity, it's not possible to book something in advance for let's say 8pm in the evening, bookings are always for *now*?
Yes, it's always immediate. That's why it is so fast
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 30.10.2015, 09:42
Arteemis's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 38 Posts
Arteemis has earned some respectArteemis has earned some respect
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
There was a kidnap case in the US where a woman was being held in an Air-B&B bedroom, she managed to call her mother, but Air-B&B operator refused to help at all with giving the B&B location to the girl's mother, who wanted to call the police. It only needs one very bad experience, and Uber will be really put to the test. If a passenger is raped or robbed in a Uber taxi, will the company, based in California, be willing or even able to help the police?

I applied in Bern to be a taxi driver, I did all the training and I then found that the wages for a normal 50 hour week, wouldn't reach Fr 750,- so I quit. The taxi companies make a killing, but regulated drivers earn very little, and receive heavy fines when they are caught cutting corners (For instance, taking a compulsory rest break by sitting in the car). One Bern driver was fined Fr 400,- for not leaving the taxi on his break. For his second offence he received a fine of Fr 4'000,-

I am happy with the concept of Uber, but the drivers must be registered with the local town authority: criminal record checks, health check, proving their insurance cover, car papers, etc. Otherwise the concept is like hitch hiking, with no safety net at all.
Having used taxis a lot, I honestly have not felt more safe taking a taxi than an Uber.

The fact that you rate Uber drivers personally provides me with a better feeling than the rude taxi driver who won't accept to take a credit card (even if it says he does). I've actually been declined a taxi ride in the past because the distance was too short, inconvenient etc. It never happens with Uber....
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 30.10.2015, 09:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,512
Groaned at 980 Times in 689 Posts
Thanked 17,525 Times in 6,867 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Ah ok, thanks a lot. And out of curiosity, it's not possible to book something in advance for let's say 8pm in the evening, bookings are always for *now*?
There is no option for this in the app.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 30.10.2015, 09:48
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,885
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Having used taxis a lot, I honestly have not felt more safe taking a taxi than an Uber.

The fact that you rate Uber drivers personally provides me with a better feeling than the rude taxi driver who won't accept to take a credit card (even if it says he does). I've actually been declined a taxi ride in the past because the distance was too short, inconvenient etc. It never happens with Uber....
How long have your Uber drivers been working that day? Is the driver a secret rapist, or a thief? You cannot check this out.

You can report bad taxi drivers to the city commercial police, who will investigate. Did you?

Who do you report bad Uber drivers to? Oh yes, mark 'em down, like we do on EF, that works well, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 30.10.2015, 10:00
Arteemis's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 38 Posts
Arteemis has earned some respectArteemis has earned some respect
Re: UBER in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
How long have your Uber drivers been working that day? Is the driver a secret rapist, or a thief? You cannot check this out.

You can report bad taxi drivers to the city commercial police, who will investigate. Did you?

Who do you report bad Uber drivers to? Oh yes, mark 'em down, like we do on EF, that works well, doesn't it?
I'm just basing my judgement on personal experience and understand that taxis are more regulated than Uber and that's why you pay more. I'm not bashing taxis, I just find it's not my thing and am happy that Uber is bringing some disruption to a market that seems to have been functioning like a cartel...

My personal experience is that Uber works for me. I found it was better value AND quality. I also use AirBnB though so I guess I'm living on the edge
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Arteemis for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cab, taxi, transportation, uber




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Support Uber in Basel - come on EF'ers! Oxbow Transportation/driving 50 15.05.2016 00:05
What's On in Zurich / Just Opened in Zurich websites or distribution lists? MitzEclipse Daily life 1 29.01.2015 23:22
UBER car sharing around Geneva CeeRod Transportation/driving 3 23.11.2014 22:27
Uber Swiss Christmas holidays BrianClose Travel/day trips/free time 13 14.09.2013 17:18
Uber cheap phones... BrianClose TV/internet/telephone 2 10.11.2011 20:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0