Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 31.08.2021, 20:03
otec's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Lugano
Posts: 644
Groaned at 249 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 491 Times in 244 Posts
otec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthy
Re: Driving via Gotthard tunnel - never again!

Quote:
View Post
Three lanes of motorway, multiple toll booths, some with cash or card, others Telepass, others with card only. Easy for people to get in the wrong queue, not easy to move to the right queue. Swiss pushing in and blocking left, right and centre.
Sometimes they'd go in the Telepass queue, making that queue longer and they try and cross three or four lanes to get to the credit card one just before they reached the toll booths.

I think I spent 3 or four hours that day queuing at various motorway tolls.

My fault for driving on a Saturday in summer!
oh yeah that's a nightmare.

I wasn't stuck in that situation in particular, but often get stuck when 2 lanes motorway gets to toll gates with Telepass gates on most right side. 2 lanes end up being jammed with people going to cash/credit card making it impossible to squeeze to Telepass gates.

It gets even worse, I've seen multiple times Italians crashing into concrete blocks taking out a toll gate out of service for hours.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 31.08.2021, 20:14
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,431
Groaned at 686 Times in 534 Posts
Thanked 26,582 Times in 10,720 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving via Gotthard tunnel - never again!

Quote:
View Post
oh yeah that's a nightmare.

I wasn't stuck in that situation in particular, but often get stuck when 2 lanes motorway gets to toll gates with Telepass gates on most right side. 2 lanes end up being jammed with people going to cash/credit card making it impossible to squeeze to Telepass gates.

It gets even worse, I've seen multiple times Italians crashing into concrete blocks taking out a toll gate out of service for hours.
Basically, for us, a five hour journey took 13 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 01.09.2021, 08:48
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 813
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 667 Times in 325 Posts
Jack of all trades. has a reputation beyond reputeJack of all trades. has a reputation beyond reputeJack of all trades. has a reputation beyond reputeJack of all trades. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving via Gotthard tunnel - never again!

Just about everyone here knows traffic is different. Something to do with some pandemic, home office, sneaking away from home office to have a sick leave holiday. Etc etc etc.

Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 01.09.2021, 09:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,861
Groaned at 147 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,112 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving via Gotthard tunnel - never again!

Quote:
View Post
Just about everyone here knows traffic is different. Something to do with some pandemic, home office, sneaking away from home office to have a sick leave holiday. Etc etc etc.



Not sure what you're getting at. Summer Gotthard traffic has always been crappy. Nothing to do with the pandemic.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Patxi for this useful post:
  #305  
Old 01.09.2021, 16:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 1,311
Groaned at 22 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,585 Times in 727 Posts
LuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving via Gotthard tunnel - never again!

Definitely heard of Pedemontana, Telepass and Dartford Tunnel.

have you seen the queues to enter the dartford Tunnel in rush hour? Despite number plate recognition the tailback is sometimes 8 miles and more.

Telepass is only good if you have signed up and have it, otherwise it's the toll booths. Car stops, looks for credit card, takes off belt while getting it from handbag or briefcase, insert wrong way several times, declined! Look for another card, accepted, put in wallet, seat-belt back on, restart engine and go. And I'm usually stuck behind that person.

Pedemontana. I have a friend who works for them, and she told me they are lucky to receive payment from only 30% of non-Italian plated cars (TI excepted). It's such a costly business to obtain payment for just 1 or 2 euros they don't bother. Not to mention the difficulty in obtaining driver details from some countries.

We all know the Swiss want to be sure they'll get their money, so i doubt a Pedemontana system would be accepted by them!
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 01.09.2021, 17:33
otec's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Lugano
Posts: 644
Groaned at 249 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 491 Times in 244 Posts
otec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthy
Re: Driving via Gotthard tunnel - never again!

Quote:
View Post
Definitely heard of Pedemontana, Telepass and Dartford Tunnel.

have you seen the queues to enter the dartford Tunnel in rush hour? Despite number plate recognition the tailback is sometimes 8 miles and more.

Telepass is only good if you have signed up and have it, otherwise it's the toll booths. Car stops, looks for credit card, takes off belt while getting it from handbag or briefcase, insert wrong way several times, declined! Look for another card, accepted, put in wallet, seat-belt back on, restart engine and go. And I'm usually stuck behind that person.

Pedemontana. I have a friend who works for them, and she told me they are lucky to receive payment from only 30% of non-Italian plated cars (TI excepted). It's such a costly business to obtain payment for just 1 or 2 euros they don't bother. Not to mention the difficulty in obtaining driver details from some countries.

We all know the Swiss want to be sure they'll get their money, so i doubt a Pedemontana system would be accepted by them!
I agree with you and not-suprised by 30% figure to be honest.

I'm not sure if this is related to the system or the process itself more to the people running it.

So far I've received all speed fines from Switzerland, not many from Italy. So fair to say Swiss work pretty hard if they need.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank otec for this useful post:
  #307  
Old 05.09.2021, 17:51
schoggiweggli's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 342
Groaned at 27 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 665 Times in 243 Posts
schoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond reputeschoggiweggli has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving via Gotthard tunnel - never again!

Despite the kids being back at school, both this and last weekend are relatively as usual, with up to 12km southbound queues both days. 8km northbound.
I came though on Friday 27th at lunchtime and got an expected 30 min queue, but also on Saturday morning got stuck for 30 mins crossing at Chiasso Zoll at 8am.
I saw people coming off at the Chiasso Centro junction. Is that a viable alternative to staying in the queue?
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 05.09.2021, 18:40
otec's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Lugano
Posts: 644
Groaned at 249 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 491 Times in 244 Posts
otec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthyotec is considered unworthy
Re: Driving via Gotthard tunnel - never again!

Quote:
View Post
Despite the kids being back at school, both this and last weekend are relatively as usual, with up to 12km southbound queues both days. 8km northbound.
I came though on Friday 27th at lunchtime and got an expected 30 min queue, but also on Saturday morning got stuck for 30 mins crossing at Chiasso Zoll at 8am.
I saw people coming off at the Chiasso Centro junction. Is that a viable alternative to staying in the queue?
If you are coming from Italy it's almost always better to leave A9 to Chiasso town, cross the customs there and rejoin A2 motorway. Same goes the other way.

Italian side is in never ending constructions.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank otec for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
gotthard nightmare




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss dig world's longest tunnel Flashman4 Swiss politics/news 96 19.10.2010 23:34
BBC News: Sonnenberg Tunnel/Shelter Lou Swiss politics/news 35 06.01.2010 17:00
Warning Iglo Driving [driving with your windows frosted over] DC_in_Hombi Transportation/driving 11 25.05.2008 08:29
Driving from Zurich to Italy (Gotthard vs. San Bernadino on a Friday After Work) ddilling Transportation/driving 7 02.03.2008 12:39
San Gottardo tunnel how much does it cost? Gaggiol0 Transportation/driving 8 30.01.2008 23:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0