Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.07.2015, 13:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Horgen
Posts: 60
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
David2 has no particular reputation at present
Get a tow bar fitted

Trying to get quotes in order to get a tow bar fitted. Looking to get a manual removable one and have had a price from my local garage of 1300 CHF - since this is a BMW garage it probably a vastly inflated price so looking for another place in the Zurich / South of Zurich area.
Idea is to then get a big bike carrier for 3-4 bikes....
Anyone with experience with towbars or bike carriers - happy to listen to advise. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.07.2015, 14:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Uster
Posts: 281
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 130 Times in 75 Posts
maypril has made some interesting contributions
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Quote:
View Post
Trying to get quotes in order to get a tow bar fitted. Looking to get a manual removable one and have had a price from my local garage of 1300 CHF - since this is a BMW garage it probably a vastly inflated price so looking for another place in the Zurich / South of Zurich area.
Idea is to then get a big bike carrier for 3-4 bikes....
Anyone with experience with towbars or bike carriers - happy to listen to advise. Thanks!
Have you tried BMW garages in Germany? For a tow bar, you need the STVA approval but most dealers can handle this for you.

I once compared quotes (not for a tow bar though) from Volvo garages here and in Germany... The cheapest Swiss quote I got was 1350CHF. On the German side, I got 875CHF after VAT refund. For this amount, its not too bad to combine with a day-out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.07.2015, 14:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Horgen
Posts: 60
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
David2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

I generally go to Germany only on Saturdays and I am not sure the garage workshops are open then. Additionally I have been told the installation might take 2 or 3 days.

But thanks - sounds an idea I will need to investigate again just to be sure.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.07.2015, 14:27
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 102
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 72 Times in 45 Posts
hans1 has become a little unpopular
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

I fixed a towbar on my previous XC90.

Essentially I ordered one online from a tow-bar specialist for specifically my car. Just make sure you order the right cables for the purpose you want to use the tow-bar for. (I think total was about 330 euros)

Installation I did myself (4hrs work), which I found pretty much straight forward. After that, make an appointment with your local "Service Automobile" for a check. They will inspect the tow-bar (10 min job), and give it a classification for weight.

After that you will be provided with a new Grey Card, and of course... A new invoice to pay.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hans1 for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 07.07.2015, 14:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,139
Groaned at 219 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

2-3 days hahaha try 3-4 hours.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 07.07.2015, 15:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Uster
Posts: 281
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 130 Times in 75 Posts
maypril has made some interesting contributions
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Quote:
View Post
I generally go to Germany only on Saturdays and I am not sure the garage workshops are open then. Additionally I have been told the installation might take 2 or 3 days.

But thanks - sounds an idea I will need to investigate again just to be sure.
If BMW garage says 2-3 days to install a tow bar, then they're taking you for a ride!

A colleague had a Volvo dealer install a tow bar on his XC60 and he was billed for 2hrs. If you go DYI, then rob1 is correct, 3-4hrs of your time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.07.2015, 16:28
golfer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 112
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 78 Times in 48 Posts
golfer is considered knowledgeablegolfer is considered knowledgeablegolfer is considered knowledgeable
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Had a quote today, for a SUV. 1145 in Germany
so I dont think 1300 chf will be far off.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10.07.2015, 00:11
OBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Aeugst Am Albis
Posts: 510
Groaned at 21 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 296 Times in 127 Posts
OBone has earned the respect of manyOBone has earned the respect of manyOBone has earned the respect of many
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

if you are ever planning a trip back to the UK, they will supply and come to your house to fit in - all for about 500 quid.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29.06.2016, 01:10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 56
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 18 Posts
echocharlie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

I too would like to get a tow-bar for our XC90.

So far the quotes for the work here are crazy. I've fitted one before when we lived in the UK, so not too worried about doing the work myself, but a little confused...

If I fit it myself, it has to be inspected? By the Strassenverkehrsamt?

Otherwise i've found a place just across the border in Lorrach, Germany that will do it all for around 600 EUR inc. parts, which is pretty good (the labour is 200 of that). But again, I guess I have to get it inspected?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29.06.2016, 01:16
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,160
Groaned at 2,042 Times in 1,527 Posts
Thanked 34,717 Times in 16,493 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Quote:
View Post
I guess I have to get it inspected?
Yes.

Mine was CHF 800, with installation and MFK.

In Switzerland.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29.06.2016, 02:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 56
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 18 Posts
echocharlie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

800 CHF isn't too bad - the quotes i've been looking at are around the 2K CHF mark.

What car was that? And if you're in Lugano, is that where you got it done?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29.06.2016, 08:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,139
Groaned at 219 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Before you get the German one make sure that it's a model sold in ch.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29.06.2016, 08:48
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 281 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Quote:
View Post
800 CHF isn't too bad - the quotes i've been looking at are around the 2K CHF mark.

What car was that? And if you're in Lugano, is that where you got it done?
If you have a new(ish) car then it is a lot harder to fit a towbar than on older cars - usually entailing programming of some sort. BMW prices comes back at silly levels - and even going to a small garage returned a price of 2k+++

All rather silly if you ask me.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29.06.2016, 09:10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Uster
Posts: 281
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 130 Times in 75 Posts
maypril has made some interesting contributions
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Quote:
View Post
I too would like to get a tow-bar for our XC90.

So far the quotes for the work here are crazy. I've fitted one before when we lived in the UK, so not too worried about doing the work myself, but a little confused...

If I fit it myself, it has to be inspected? By the Strassenverkehrsamt?

Otherwise i've found a place just across the border in Lorrach, Germany that will do it all for around 600 EUR inc. parts, which is pretty good (the labour is 200 of that). But again, I guess I have to get it inspected?
If you let the garage in Lorrach install for you, ask them if they will provide the documents needed for the STVA approval.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29.06.2016, 12:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 56
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 18 Posts
echocharlie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

The STVA approval is not just a paperwork exercise, right? It's an actual proper inspection...?

I don't think it's totally straightforward, as I understand that some software modification is required (not sure why, plus I never intend on actually towing anything - this is just for the bike rack), plus some messing around with the rear parking sensors (even though you can manually turn them off from inside).

Oh for simpler times, with more basic (less safe, less fuel efficient, less reliable) cars...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29.06.2016, 12:16
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Quote:
View Post
The STVA approval is not just a paperwork exercise, right? It's an actual proper inspection...?

I don't think it's totally straightforward, as I understand that some software modification is required (not sure why, plus I never intend on actually towing anything - this is just for the bike rack), plus some messing around with the rear parking sensors (even though you can manually turn them off from inside).

Oh for simpler times, with more basic (less safe, less fuel efficient, less reliable) cars...
Charlie,


There are two parts to the STVA check for this kind of modification.


The first is that the kit fitted has paperwork substantiating that the bit is approved for use here, and on that particular car model.


The second is that the kit has been fitted to the car in a safe and workmanlike manner.


If the modification satisfies both conditions above then they write it into the car registration.


It really is pretty straightforward. I have trouble imagining anyone having an objection (with the possible exception of it costing some money) to this.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 29.06.2016, 12:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 56
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 18 Posts
echocharlie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Great, thanks for the reassurance!

I used to work quite a bit on our cars back in the UK (restoration work mainly), but seeing as working on your own car isn't the done thing here (or even a possibility - it's actually prevented in our rental contract), I fear anytime I have to go near a garage to get anything done, or any form of official inspection!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 29.06.2016, 12:38
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,419
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,169 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Quote:
View Post
I fixed a towbar on my previous XC90.

Essentially I ordered one online from a tow-bar specialist for specifically my car. Just make sure you order the right cables for the purpose you want to use the tow-bar for. (I think total was about 330 euros)

Installation I did myself (4hrs work), which I found pretty much straight forward. After that, make an appointment with your local "Service Automobile" for a check. They will inspect the tow-bar (10 min job), and give it a classification for weight.

After that you will be provided with a new Grey Card, and of course... A new invoice to pay.
Hi hans1! Wondering if you could maybe post the site where you ordered your tow-bar from. Thanxs!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 29.06.2016, 12:44
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

before you go for the cheap option

we had a tow bar fitted to our new merc, the bumper needed cutting and the onboard computer needed programming for the parking sensors to still work (we had to take it back as they still picked it up with the cover fitted)

so it may not be as straight forward as you think
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 29.06.2016, 12:48
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get a tow bar fitted

Quote:
View Post
Great, thanks for the reassurance!

I used to work quite a bit on our cars back in the UK (restoration work mainly), but seeing as working on your own car isn't the done thing here (or even a possibility - it's actually prevented in our rental contract), I fear anytime I have to go near a garage to get anything done, or any form of official inspection!!


Charlie,


By the time you add up the price of renting a space suitable to do the work yourself, the cost of tools to do anything other than the most basic maintenance, and the cost of shipping and importing parts, taking your car to an independent garage turns out to save a fair bit of money.


I am currently renting a Garage space, as well as a "Bastel Keller" for a complete resto, despite having free access to a fully equipped professional garage. For what I have spent on rent for the space alone I could have bought a car which had already been restored. If I factor in the tools, material, shipping and VAT I could have bought a significantly more expensive car.


Being a gearhead isn't about being rational.
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fitting a tow bar.... Fidgety Transportation/driving 21 06.06.2013 14:02
Getting a Tow bar for bike rack. Worrelpa Transportation/driving 0 31.03.2012 11:15
Getting a tow bar fitted OBone Transportation/driving 1 18.07.2011 09:57
Rent a car with tow bar LUNAHK Transportation/driving 10 21.09.2010 13:50
Cost of a tow bar telandy Transportation/driving 7 23.09.2008 21:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0