Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.10.2019, 13:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,010
Groaned at 352 Times in 285 Posts
Thanked 6,809 Times in 3,413 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The rule of electronic scooter in Zurich or Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I am riding a electronic scooter (like the one shown below) recently in Zurich for commuting. Can anyone here tell me whether there is any specific rule for electronic scooter in Zurich?

By googling it, it seems that electronic scooter should be considered the same as a bicycle (using only bicycle lane). But I can see many people riding it on side walks (even in front of police), and in many streets, there is no bicycle lane.

My strategy now is to use bicycle lane when there is one, or otherwise just ride it on the side walks.

Your feedbacks are really appreciated.
Dualtron Thunder

You are driving an unallowed 5400W electrical vehicle that can reach 80km/hr.

Forget everything that has been said about just getting a fine, this goes way beyond all those "toy" scooters you see everywhere, this is almost breaking the maximum amount of laws possible with a scooter.

Tip: If you get an accident regardless of who is at fault, offer loads of money to buy it off and keep police and insurances out of it.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 09.10.2019, 14:02
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,699
Groaned at 65 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,629 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Can anyone in the know, tell me if these 2 electric scooters are road legal here? The website says they are, but I can't bring myself to 100% trust it. Cheers.

https://www.microspot.ch/de/freizeit...r--p0001434866

https://www.microspot.ch/de/freizeit...gaAm6tEALw_wcB
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09.10.2019, 14:17
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,107
Groaned at 82 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 3,831 Times in 1,526 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
Can anyone in the know, tell me if these 2 electric scooters are road legal here? The website says they are, but I can't bring myself to 100% trust it. Cheers.

https://www.microspot.ch/de/freizeit...r--p0001434866

https://www.microspot.ch/de/freizeit...gaAm6tEALw_wcB
In French

"... équipés d'un système de propulsion électrique, dont la puissance du ou des moteurs n'excède pas 0,50 kW au total, pouvant atteindre une vitesse de 20 km/h au maximum ..."

As far as I can see, it's really only the 20km/h speed limit and 500w motor that matters

Edit : So I would say they are both legal
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 09.10.2019, 14:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,010
Groaned at 352 Times in 285 Posts
Thanked 6,809 Times in 3,413 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
Can anyone in the know, tell me if these 2 electric scooters are road legal here? The website says they are, but I can't bring myself to 100% trust it. Cheers.

https://www.microspot.ch/de/freizeit...r--p0001434866

https://www.microspot.ch/de/freizeit...gaAm6tEALw_wcB
They don't need a special road allowance if they are limited at 20kmph max.

What you do need tho is:
- Lights front and back
- Bell (or however those ring-ring things are called in English)
- Brakes on front and back wheel (Which I think they have)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 09.10.2019, 14:38
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,637
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 16,122 Times in 7,158 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
They don't need a special road allowance if they are limited at 20kmph max.

What you do need tho is:
- Lights front and back
- Bell (or however those ring-ring things are called in English)
- Brakes on front and back wheel (Which I think they have)
Plus a red rear reflector with an area of at least 10 cm2
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 09.10.2019, 14:47
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,107
Groaned at 82 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 3,831 Times in 1,526 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

I've done 700km on mine since i bought it, ~10km per day..

One lesson I'd say is be careful in the wet, the grip is not good from those little solid tyres.. Road markings, drain covers etc become like ice. Mine is IP54 rated but i don't use it if the street is much more than mildly moist.

Maybe not the best time of year to be buying one.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 09.10.2019, 14:54
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,699
Groaned at 65 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,629 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
I've done 700km on mine since i bought it, ~10km per day..

One lesson I'd say is be careful in the wet, the grip is not good from those little solid tyres.. Road markings, drain covers etc become like ice. Mine is IP54 rated but i don't use it if the street is much more than mildly moist.

Maybe not the best time of year to be buying one.
Looking ahead for next summer!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09.10.2019, 15:32
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ILikeEScooter has become a little unpopularILikeEScooter has become a little unpopular
Re: The rule of electronic scooter in Zurich or Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Dualtron Thunder

You are driving an unallowed 5400W electrical vehicle that can reach 80km/hr.

Forget everything that has been said about just getting a fine, this goes way beyond all those "toy" scooters you see everywhere, this is almost breaking the maximum amount of laws possible with a scooter.

Tip: If you get an accident regardless of who is at fault, offer loads of money to buy it off and keep police and insurances out of it.
I appreciate your feedback, but it seems that you don't even understand what an electronic scooter is, how come it can reach 80 km/h?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at ILikeEScooter for this post:
  #29  
Old 09.10.2019, 15:38
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,637
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 16,122 Times in 7,158 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The rule of electronic scooter in Zurich or Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate your feedback, but it seems that you don't even understand what an electronic scooter is, how come it can reach 80 km/h?
Maybe because the manual says so and because 5.4 kW is enough power to make it possible.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...a.uk.pdf?28080
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 09.10.2019, 16:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,010
Groaned at 352 Times in 285 Posts
Thanked 6,809 Times in 3,413 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The rule of electronic scooter in Zurich or Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate your feedback, but it seems that you don't even understand what an electronic scooter is, how come it can reach 80 km/h?
Seems that you're a troll who has no clue what picture he found on the web.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 09.10.2019, 17:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,316
Groaned at 59 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,811 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The rule of electronic scooter in Zurich or Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate your feedback, but it seems that you don't even understand what an electronic scooter is, how come it can reach 80 km/h?



He refers to this:


https://electrek.co/2019/09/30/dualt...review-50-mph/


Your image shows the scooter depicted in the article.
A vehicle, I would only ride with full face helmet and full body protection.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09.10.2019, 17:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,734
Groaned at 262 Times in 225 Posts
Thanked 9,280 Times in 4,883 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The rule of electronic scooter in Zurich or Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate your feedback, but it seems that you don't even understand what an electronic scooter is, how come it can reach 80 km/h?
Correct as far as I'm concerned, I know electric ones only.

Please explain what an electronic scooter is and how they differ from electric ones.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 09.10.2019, 18:29
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,273
Groaned at 158 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 4,789 Times in 2,177 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

I’m so happy that someone has brought-up this topic, because the amount of electro scooters has increased significantly in past years, to the point where I don’t really feel safe even when walking to the shops anymore.

While I’m all for electro-mobility my experience has been really bad this year. With one example of young guys getting fun out of scaring the sh*t out of someone while scooting and shouting in my ear from behind, then overtaking.

I was walking within a short tunnel-like restaurant entrance, and it really, really scared me for those seconds.

I’m sick of it tbh.

What are the laws about scooting on the pavement, anyone know?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09.10.2019, 19:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,010
Groaned at 352 Times in 285 Posts
Thanked 6,809 Times in 3,413 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
I’m so happy that someone has brought-up this topic, because the amount of electro scooters has increased significantly in past years, to the point where I don’t really feel safe even when walking to the shops anymore.

While I’m all for electro-mobility my experience has been really bad this year. With one example of young guys getting fun out of scaring the sh*t out of someone while scooting and shouting in my ear from behind, then overtaking.

I was walking within a short tunnel-like restaurant entrance, and it really, really scared me for those seconds.

I’m sick of it tbh.
If you need a witness in future who testifies that he drove into you while in fact you just kicked him of the scooter just drop me a pm

(Taking a step to the left or right at a tactical moment also can help a lot)

Quote:
What are the laws about scooting on the pavement, anyone know?
They go where bicycles go, no more, no less.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 09.10.2019, 20:34
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,273
Groaned at 158 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 4,789 Times in 2,177 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
If you need a witness in future who testifies that he drove into you while in fact you just kicked him of the scooter just drop me a pm

(Taking a step to the left or right at a tactical moment also can help a lot)
.
Yes, but not when they come at you from behind, are fast and screaming in your ear just for the fun of it, and you’re within a tunnel like space around 2.5m wide. Scared the shit out of me.

Since then I’ve developed a strategy if it should happen again - involves putting my arm out while carrying a potentially hurtful object. It’s sad that this should be happening here, and sad that we should even have to think about it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electronic scooter, rule




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Bike or Scooter Swissinfo Transportation/driving 19 11.12.2009 15:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0