Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.01.2017, 16:00
der der is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
der has no particular reputation at present
electric scooter - rules?

what are the rules regarding the electric scooters?
1) if 250W or below do they need license?
2) Needs to be driven in cycle path or foothpath?
3) Are they legally allowed for public use or private area only?

Something like one below:


Anyone in the forum using for daily commute?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.01.2017, 16:53
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,506
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 15,958 Times in 7,067 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Technical classification:

The law regarding admission to traffic for any vehicle is SR 741.41 Verordnung über die technischen Anforderungen an Strassenfahrzeuge (no English version, you can change language in the following links at top right to French and Italian if that helps) Scooter with an motor are covered in Art. 18 Letter a and b. VTS They are classified as Motorfahrräder (Motor bicycles). This classification is important for traffic rules and where you are allowed to ride it.

Depending on motor power they are either Leicht-Motorfahrräder which can have up to 0.5 kW (that is 500 Watt), a top speed of driven on its own of 20 km/h, or may give electro support up to 25 km/h. No need for a gray card, nor license plate Art. 72 VZV, nor special vehicle insurance Art. 38 VVV
nevertheless, in case of an accident you are fully and unlimited liable. It is very advisable, not just for that, to a have a private 3rd party insurance (Privathaftpflicht).
or
As standard Motorfahrrad with an electric power of up to 1 kW and a top speed of 45 km/h. This type will need a gray card/type approval, a license plate, and a mandatory third party vehicle insurance. I do not know if such a scooter, with gray card, actually exists.
or
Hypothetically as a Motorcycle where power and speed can be unlimited. This will need a gray card/type approval, a license plate, and a mandatory third party vehicle insurance. All motorcycle relevant rules would apply to such a type. I do not know if such a scooter, with gray card, actually exists.

Segways, Monowheels, and other self balancing devices (Elektro-Stehroller) are covered in Art. 18 Letter d VTS
They may have up to 2kW, a top speed of driven on its own of 20 km/h, or may give electro support up to 25 km/h. They are also classified as Motorfahrräder (Motor bicycles). Unlike electro scooters they need a license plate and special third party vehicle liability insurance Art. 34 - 38 VVV if you intend them to use on public roads and public places.

Motorized skate boards or motorized roller skates are not handled in the Swiss traffic law and regulations. Thus, they might only be used on private, non-public ground. A supermarket parking place or similar is normally private but public and thus off limits, unless specifically closed for public use.

The important mandatory technical equipment:
For full details see Art. 175 - 178b VTS
- Lights front and back
- Bell (or however those ring-ring things are called in English)
- Brakes on front and back wheel
- Plus a red rear reflector with an area of at least 10 cm2

Special traffic rules that apply to electric scooters and self balancing vehicles
(apart from the normal, like priority from the right, red lights, etc.)

No need to wear a helmet if unasisted top speed is 20 km/h . Art. 3b VRV

Minimum age to ride is 14 years. You will need a driving license of category M if you are 14 up to 16 years old Art. 6 Abs. 1 Lit a

No need for a driving license if you are at least 16 years old Art. 5 Abs. 2 Lit. e and Art. 6 Abs 1 Lit. f VZV

You are allowed to use it on the road.

You must not use the side walk!
The side walk is reserved for pedestrians, persons in manual wheelchairs, disabled persons in electric wheelchairs, disabled persons on self balancing vehicles, and users of vehicle like means of transport only. Art. 43 SVG, Art. 43a, and Art 50 VRV (actully that is a general rule, but you asked).
PS: Vehicle like means of transport are skateboards, roller and in-line skates, motor-less scooters, small kids bikes, dandy horses, etc. More or less anything with wheels and without motor, safe bigger bicycles and wheelchairs. https://www.bfu.ch/de/ratgeber/ratge...he-ger%C3%A4te

You are allowed to use cycle lanes and paths. You cannot use pure footpaths Art. 33 SSV and Art. 42 Abs. 4 VRV

You must use the cycle lanes and path when it is next to a road. Art. 46 SVG

Where you can drive:
electric-scooter-rules-mofa-eralubt.jpg

Where you are not allowed to drive:
electric-scooter-rules-mofa-verbot.jpg
__________________
"I think so, Brain. But where are we going to find a gallon of whip cream and three yards of lederhosen at this time of night? Narf!"

Last edited by aSwissInTheUS; 09.10.2019 at 17:46. Reason: Last update and revision: October 9, 2019
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.02.2017, 23:06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Basel
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jarvis has no particular reputation at present
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Hi der, are you using the scooter on street now? I am also trying to use it for daily commuting. As it is not often seen here on street, did you have any issue with police? Or they admit the usage on public road?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.02.2017, 21:23
der der is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
der has no particular reputation at present
Re: electric scooter - rules?

@aSwissInTheUS - Thanks for the info!

@Jarvis: I originally planned to get electric scooter but given the rules being same as that of bicycle I dropped the idea.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.02.2017, 17:02
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,506
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 15,958 Times in 7,067 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Reviewed what I have wirtten.

I made a mistake. I wrong fully classified it as means of transport avccording to Art. 18 Letter d VTS. But those are Segway's which can have a power of uo to 2000 W.

The device shown, is a Art. 18. Letter b VTS which is only allowed to have a power of 500 W.

The rest remains the same. But I addes some further precisssion and remarks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31.03.2017, 22:33
I.C.'s Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I.C. has no particular reputation at present
Re: electric scooter - rules?

I have been recently stopped by police while driving this kind of e-scooter and they told me I am not allowed to drive it (except on private land) because these electric scooters are not yet registered in Switzerland as official means of transport. I really enjoyed getting around with my e-scooter but since the police freaked me out, I didn't drive it anymore...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.04.2017, 10:41
der der is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
der has no particular reputation at present
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
I have been recently stopped by police while driving this kind of e-scooter and they told me I am not allowed to drive it (except on private land) because these electric scooters are not yet registered in Switzerland as official means of transport. I really enjoyed getting around with my e-scooter but since the police freaked me out, I didn't drive it anymore...
Thanks for the update.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.07.2017, 11:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,680
Groaned at 102 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,825 Times in 2,540 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

First off - thanks for this thread and to SwissInTheUS for posting the relevant law links which saved me much Googling.

One thing that has been bugging me lately is near where live in Albisrieden are quite a few tarmaced cycle / walking tracks going along the forest edges. A few times out running I've almost come a cropper from teenagers zooming up and down with mopeds - no helmets etc. In true EF grumpy-old-man fashion I have a mind to mention it at the local cop shop but I assume from the legal links that motorised 2-wheelers are allowed on such paths. Would appreciate the opinion of the EF armchair legal panel.

Other one is the cycle-lane-cum-pedestrian-underpass at Altstetten rail station. Have encountered MoFas zooming through - which doesn't seem safe, but if I read the posted legal links they are perfectly legit to be there.

I'm sure this post started out with a point. Forgotten it now.

Cheers,
Nick
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.10.2017, 18:52
catflap's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
catflap has no particular reputation at present
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
I have been recently stopped by police while driving this kind of e-scooter and they told me I am not allowed to drive it (except on private land) because these electric scooters are not yet registered in Switzerland as official means of transport. I really enjoyed getting around with my e-scooter but since the police freaked me out, I didn't drive it anymore...
I've had my Ridelec scooter since May this year. It's similar to the one pictured in the first post above. Top speed is around 12-20kph I think on flat road and has a range of around 50km. I don't go that fast anyway. But it takes 6-7 hours to recharge when the battery is empty.

I wear a helmet. I use bike lanes when available. Sometimes the sidewalks double as the bike lanes. If there is no bike lane I use the sidewalk if the road is too dangerous. If there is roadwork going on or cobblestones I have to use the sidewalk as my scooter doesn't have shock absorbers. I've tried to ride on some gravel bike paths but it wasn't very easy so I stay away from them.

I've never been stopped by police. I've rode past many police cars and police stations in Zürich without any problems. I've taken it on buses and trains - it folds up nicely and no SBB official or security officer has ever said I can't bring it on board.

The shop I bought it from explained that it is in the same class as an e-bike and so it can go anywhere a bike can go. The shop owners are extremely professional and sell only electric scooters and vehicles so they know exactly what the laws are.

I love my scooter and couldn't do what I need to do without it.

I hope you'll get over your fear. I think the police who stopped you are misinformed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.10.2017, 20:00
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,118
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,205 Times in 2,168 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
I've had my Ridelec scooter since May this year. It's similar to the one pictured in the first post above. Top speed is around 12-20kph I think on flat road and has a range of around 50km. I don't go that fast anyway. But it takes 6-7 hours to recharge when the battery is empty.

I wear a helmet. I use bike lanes when available. Sometimes the sidewalks double as the bike lanes. If there is no bike lane I use the sidewalk if the road is too dangerous. If there is roadwork going on or cobblestones I have to use the sidewalk as my scooter doesn't have shock absorbers. I've tried to ride on some gravel bike paths but it wasn't very easy so I stay away from them.

I've never been stopped by police. I've rode past many police cars and police stations in Zürich without any problems. I've taken it on buses and trains - it folds up nicely and no SBB official or security officer has ever said I can't bring it on board.

The shop I bought it from explained that it is in the same class as an e-bike and so it can go anywhere a bike can go. The shop owners are extremely professional and sell only electric scooters and vehicles so they know exactly what the laws are.

I love my scooter and couldn't do what I need to do without it.

I hope you'll get over your fear. I think the police who stopped you are misinformed.
You will see from the link (in French) that you are not in any case allowed on the sidewalk. You are treated like an e-bike.

If you continue to ride on the sidewalk (for any reason) I would imagine that at some point you will be fined by the police.

Link: https://files.newsnetz.ch/upload//1/4/144197.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24.10.2017, 20:13
I.C.'s Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I.C. has no particular reputation at present
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
I've had my Ridelec scooter since May this year. It's similar to the one pictured in the first post above. Top speed is around 12-20kph I think on flat road and has a range of around 50km. I don't go that fast anyway. But it takes 6-7 hours to recharge when the battery is empty.

I wear a helmet. I use bike lanes when available. Sometimes the sidewalks double as the bike lanes. If there is no bike lane I use the sidewalk if the road is too dangerous. If there is roadwork going on or cobblestones I have to use the sidewalk as my scooter doesn't have shock absorbers. I've tried to ride on some gravel bike paths but it wasn't very easy so I stay away from them.

I've never been stopped by police. I've rode past many police cars and police stations in Zürich without any problems. I've taken it on buses and trains - it folds up nicely and no SBB official or security officer has ever said I can't bring it on board.

The shop I bought it from explained that it is in the same class as an e-bike and so it can go anywhere a bike can go. The shop owners are extremely professional and sell only electric scooters and vehicles so they know exactly what the laws are.

I love my scooter and couldn't do what I need to do without it.

I hope you'll get over your fear. I think the police who stopped you are misinformed.
Thanks Catflap for sharing your experience. I might get my scooter out again eventually. It got dusty and forgotten in the garage. Maybe in the meantime, all police got used to seeing e-scooters on the road.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.03.2019, 05:05
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Wilderswil
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
problems has no particular reputation at present
Re: electric scooter - rules?

I got stopped by the police in Interlaken tonight and they said it was illegal to use an electro scooter on the road. Only on private land. They said to look on the internet. I found many sites saying it was legal but then I found this http://www.swissroller.ch/swissrolle...%20gesetze.htm . Looks like it has to be an approved type!! I don't know if mine is(Lite One)It is under the maximum power rating but may not be approved! I need to call up the Strassenverkehrsamt and find out. At least they were nice enough to let me go with a warning.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank problems for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 16.03.2019, 13:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,886
Groaned at 332 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 6,615 Times in 3,325 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Large majority of those scooters has no road approval, heck I would not even be surprised if only Segway has gone through the approval proces for those kick scooters.

Police seem not to be to bothered about it, but expect a lot of trouble if you get an accident, and since there are more and more they might start cracking down on them in future.

Last edited by EdwinNL; 16.03.2019 at 14:06.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 21.06.2019, 05:26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AlexZH has no particular reputation at present
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Be aware that when the police should stop you with an illegal kick board you will need to go to court and will not just get a fine. Furthermore, if you build an accident with an in Switzerland illegal kick scooter the insurance may not pay or reduce the part they cover. Just for your information...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15.08.2019, 13:36
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,039
Groaned at 81 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,487 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Local police posted this on their page today.. Quick guide to what's allowed and what's not

Link
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 15.08.2019, 13:45
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,722
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,270 Times in 9,732 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
Local police posted this on their page today.. Quick guide to what's allowed and what's not

Link
There's not much observance of the rules over here in Zurich. I've seen so many near misses since these powered bikes and scooters came on the scene.

This morning I saw a bloke riding an e-bike on a crowded cycle path, barreling along towing one of those kiddie trailer things. His bike was getting through the gaps but the much wider trailer was missing curbsides and other bikes by millimeters.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15.08.2019, 15:06
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,039
Groaned at 81 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,487 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

Quote:
View Post
There's not much observance of the rules over here in Zurich. I've seen so many near misses since these powered bikes and scooters came on the scene.

This morning I saw a bloke riding an e-bike on a crowded cycle path, barreling along towing one of those kiddie trailer things. His bike was getting through the gaps but the much wider trailer was missing curbsides and other bikes by millimeters.
Same in Geneva.. Everyday I see people on mono-wheels and e-skateboards, both allowed on private land only apparently. People on e-scooters riding on pavements and through the train station. And total disregard for traffic lights by bikes & e-bikes.. I'm sure some get trouble but I've never seen it.

I love my e-scooter, previously it took me ~30 mins by tram & bus to cross Geneva to/from the train station.. I can do it in 11-12 mins on the e-scoot, following the traffic rules.. So it really pisses me off seeing people abuse the rules so much because it'll probably end up in a crack-down on them.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09.10.2019, 12:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ILikeEScooter has become a little unpopularILikeEScooter has become a little unpopular
The rule of electronic scooter in Zurich or Switzerland

I am riding a electronic scooter (like the one shown below) recently in Zurich for commuting. Can anyone here tell me whether there is any specific rule for electronic scooter in Zurich?

By googling it, it seems that electronic scooter should be considered the same as a bicycle (using only bicycle lane). But I can see many people riding it on side walks (even in front of police), and in many streets, there is no bicycle lane.

My strategy now is to use bicycle lane when there is one, or otherwise just ride it on the side walks.

Your feedbacks are really appreciated.

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09.10.2019, 12:25
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,559
Groaned at 283 Times in 185 Posts
Thanked 12,211 Times in 5,393 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: electric scooter - rules?

All should be clear from the above posts in the existing thread I've now moved yours to.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 09.10.2019, 12:32
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,039
Groaned at 81 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,487 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The rule of electronic scooter in Zurich or Switzerland

People riding them on the sidewalk should be shot ..
Or at least fined the same as a car driver would be if she decided to drive her car on the sidewalk.
Same for red lights and general other abuse or the rules.

I estimate that 90% of cyclists and scootists have no regard whatsoever for traffic laws, they are in fact above the law.

I was stopped at a red traffic light the other day, on my e-scooter.
A lady on a stromer appeared beside me, she had the fancy light up helmet, a row of gadgets along the handlebars, glow in the dark shoes etc. She looked at the red light, bumped up to the sidewalk, cycled over the pedestrian crossing weaving through the pedestrians and back on to the road. @rsehole ..


Rules were discussed here last month


/end rant
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
electronic scooter, rule




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Bike or Scooter Swissinfo Transportation/driving 19 11.12.2009 14:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0