Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 22.01.2017, 15:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,474 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

I think the OP just needs to develop a thicker skin and not care what the guy who was waiting was doing. Everyone is always in such a bloody hurry.

At the post office, if you have stuff you need to do at the counter, beyond sending a letter, you can already hear the people standing behind carrying on, puffing and panting. At the supermarket, you never get time to pack the bag, the next person is standing on your coat-tails as you pay and then pushing you out of the way while you try and pack your bags.

Just do your thing as quickly and efficiently as possible and don't worry about the people who think their need is greater than yours, or that you should stand aside, etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 22.01.2017, 16:02
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,458
Groaned at 109 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 6,090 Times in 3,411 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Ah... you're one of them.

Do you also only wash the car just before you take it in for a service? To a trained eye it's quite obvious how often a car is washed, even before I get it up on a lift. A glance at the safetybelts is enough.

Your car, your choices. Just don't moan about the price when I have to use the smokeaxe to remove every damned fastener, meaning that you pay for the time and the fasteners.
Enuff said. I revoke all that I have said in posts "xyz", just in case I want to make it to the market place in the near future ...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 22.01.2017, 16:34
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Enuff said. I revoke all that I have said in posts "xyz", just in case I want to make it to the market place in the near future ...
Too late...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 22.01.2017, 19:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 859
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 266 Posts
Tinkiwinki has earned some respectTinkiwinki has earned some respect
Re: How do you wash your car?

+1 for the underbody wash

Did not pay too much attention to it and now its looking a bit rusted. The friendly monsieur at the MFK did not like it and send me back. I should have prepared better.

Any way I could get the rust away? it just started rusting but is the process reversible with a good clean and spray?

Last edited by Tinkiwinki; 22.01.2017 at 19:20.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 22.01.2017, 19:17
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,327
Groaned at 169 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,236 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
+1 for the underbody wash

Did not pay too much attention to it and now its looking a bit rusted. The friendly monsieur at the MFK did not like it and send me back. I should have prepared better.

Any way I could get the rust away? it just started rusting but is it reversible with a good clean and spray?
Reversible?

No. No, that's certainly not feasible.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 22.01.2017, 19:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 859
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 266 Posts
Tinkiwinki has earned some respectTinkiwinki has earned some respect
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Reversible?

No. No, that's certainly not feasible.
hmmm
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 22.01.2017, 19:32
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
+1 for the underbody wash

Did not pay too much attention to it and now its looking a bit rusted. The friendly monsieur at the MFK did not like it and send me back. I should have prepared better.

Any way I could get the rust away? it just started rusting but is the process reversible with a good clean and spray?
No. As Neil Young sang, "Rust never sleeps".

You can brush off the worst of it, apply an encapsulator and a finishing coat, and that may slow the process, but once a seam has had moisture in it all you are going to do is slow it down. The only way to deal with rust is to take all of the oxide off (blast, or cut it out), replace any sections required, then build up a proper surface protection. Believe me. I've seen enough cars which need a complete teardown less than 10 years after a "complete restoration" because someone thought that some rusted area just needed a glossy layer of paint.
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 22.01.2017, 20:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ZH/SZ
Posts: 78
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Maciej has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you wash your car?

@JagWaugh, it looks like you have a decent experience in cars' body works or car detailing. Would you recommend any post-wash, basic detailing set to keep the car body in good condition?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 22.01.2017, 20:32
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
@JagWaugh, it looks like you have a decent experience in cars' body works or car detailing. Would you recommend any post-wash, basic detailing set to keep the car body in good condition?
Hmn... you'de have to be a bit more precise on what you mean by "in good condition".

For an everyday people mover, once a week through the drivethrough (basic program+bodenpflege), and a quick whip round the vacuum. Twice a year with some glass, leather and interior cleaners will keep the car about as good as it needs to be for it's useful life unless you smoke, eat while you're in the car, have pets, or children who get carsick.

But the top of the scale is open ended... you could easily drop 1K on swissvax products - they're about the top of the line, and they give great results... but the 1K is just the purchase price, the time spent to use them goes on top of them. Swissvax offers training courses. I spent almost 400h restoring the leather seats in my Jaguar.

What do you mean by "good condition" Are we talking about a Seat Leon, or a Bentley?
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 22.01.2017, 21:10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ZH/SZ
Posts: 78
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Maciej has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Hmn... you'de have to be a bit more precise on what you mean by "in good condition".

For an everyday people mover, once a week through the drivethrough (basic program+bodenpflege), and a quick whip round the vacuum. Twice a year with some glass, leather and interior cleaners will keep the car about as good as it needs to be for it's useful life unless you smoke, eat while you're in the car, have pets, or children who get carsick.

But the top of the scale is open ended... you could easily drop 1K on swissvax products - they're about the top of the line, and they give great results... but the 1K is just the purchase price, the time spent to use them goes on top of them. Swissvax offers training courses. I spent almost 400h restoring the leather seats in my Jaguar.

What do you mean by "good condition" Are we talking about a Seat Leon, or a Bentley?
I'm talking about more qualitative approach to the looks of the car so definitely I would spend more francs on proper products and learning how to use them. I treat my cars not only as transport from A to B. I definitely agree with some earlier opinions that it's a depreciating in value asset (I cannot afford a limited version of Hennessey Venom to treat it as investment), but it's a passion and sometimes passions aren't driven with common sense

PS. I'll send you a PM, not make a further off-topic
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 22.01.2017, 21:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,891
Groaned at 285 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 17,658 Times in 6,203 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
I think the OP just needs to develop a thicker skin and not care what the guy who was waiting was doing. Everyone is always in such a bloody hurry.

At the post office, if you have stuff you need to do at the counter, beyond sending a letter, you can already hear the people standing behind carrying on, puffing and panting. At the supermarket, you never get time to pack the bag, the next person is standing on your coat-tails as you pay and then pushing you out of the way while you try and pack your bags.

Just do your thing as quickly and efficiently as possible and don't worry about the people who think their need is greater than yours, or that you should stand aside, etc.

not a really good example. what the OP was doing is equivalent to write a letter at the counter while other people are waiting
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 22.01.2017, 21:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 859
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 266 Posts
Tinkiwinki has earned some respectTinkiwinki has earned some respect
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
No. As Neil Young sang, "Rust never sleeps".

You can brush off the worst of it, apply an encapsulator and a finishing coat, and that may slow the process, but once a seam has had moisture in it all you are going to do is slow it down. The only way to deal with rust is to take all of the oxide off (blast, or cut it out), replace any sections required, then build up a proper surface protection. Believe me. I've seen enough cars which need a complete teardown less than 10 years after a "complete restoration" because someone thought that some rusted area just needed a glossy layer of paint.
Slowing it down would already be quite something. Also I do not like the look of it. Would you have an encapsulator and finishing coat suggestion? Happy to spend some time under the Landcruiser Sure it was the salt in the winter that started it
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 22.01.2017, 22:15
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Slowing it down would already be quite something. Also I do not like the look of it. Would you have an encapsulator and finishing coat suggestion? Happy to spend some time under the Landcruiser Sure it was the salt in the winter that started it
For ferrous parts, if I can't remove, blast, and properly refinish them, then I grind/wire brush, then use Brunox, then a chassis paint (preferably 2K), but if you have a seam which is split then the damage is already done.

With a Landcruiser you have the added problem of the electropotential between the Al and the Fe parts... I remember reading somewhere that the proper thing to do with them was to remove the body, fix that, then fix the frame, then finish both, and reinstall with Teflon insulator shims at every fastener, effectively insulating the frame and the shell, then create a single bonding point for the earth. Brunox won't work on Al, but I'm guessing that there is some equivalent form of Chromate based spray.

As far as I know, landies are a special, pathological, form of automotive relationship...
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.

Last edited by JagWaugh; 22.01.2017 at 23:25. Reason: spellink
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 22.01.2017, 23:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Mr.Bourne has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you wash your car?

I personally very much prefer to handwash my cars using waterless. Works superb and you can control swirls, etc. also helps me learn the dimensions of the car which very much helps getting in and out of tight spaces as my feeling for car is better.

If you are really hardcore, you can clay bar your car(finally found here) and get it super smooth, then polish and then wax are car will shine like a diamond.

Do it in your garage and avoid car washes altogether.

Jason
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 23.01.2017, 18:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 859
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 266 Posts
Tinkiwinki has earned some respectTinkiwinki has earned some respect
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
For ferrous parts, if I can't remove, blast, and properly refinish them, then I grind/wire brush, then use Brunox, then a chassis paint (preferably 2K), but if you have a seam which is split then the damage is already done.

With a Landcruiser you have the added problem of the electropotential between the Al and the Fe parts... I remember reading somewhere that the proper thing to do with them was to remove the body, fix that, then fix the frame, then finish both, and reinstall with Teflon insulator shims at every fastener, effectively insulating the frame and the shell, then create a single bonding point for the earth. Brunox won't work on Al, but I'm guessing that there is some equivalent form of Chromate based spray.

As far as I know, landies are a special, pathological, form of automotive relationship...
thanks for the electropotential bit! I can share that with my wife when travelling!

starting to remove the body...

Would the MFK Meister be not amused when he sees my work? I will only spray chassis but it will look as of someone wants to hide something. Is there any chassis paint finisher that is transparent or friendlier to the inspector?

Last edited by Tinkiwinki; 23.01.2017 at 18:52.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 23.01.2017, 19:03
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Uster
Posts: 281
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 130 Times in 75 Posts
maypril has made some interesting contributions
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
I do what the OP does, but off peak, and the venue has 7 bays so no-one has to wait for my one.
Signs up with buckets, cloths crossed out.
You're spoiled to have a place with 7 bays, the ones close to me only have 4 at most so I do my business on Monday mornings...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 23.01.2017, 19:15
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
thanks for the electropotential bit! I can share that with my wife when travelling!

starting to remove the body...

Would the MFK Meister be not amused when he sees my work? I will only spray chassis but it will look as of someone wants to hide something. Is there any chassis paint finisher that is transparent or friendlier to the inspector?
There are two basic strategies:

One is to to the job properly with crisp edges and proper welds and the colour/finish of your choice, leaving the repaired area as a symbol which says "Look, I did the job properly!"

The other is to use a brush and apply a new layer of undercoating stippled so that the patch is indistinguishable from the rest of the floor, then (once the undercoating has dried) treat it to a spray of mud, sand, salt and dust so that it blends in with the rest of the vehicle.

If you do the latter carefully enough the inspector won't notice that you filled the gaping hole with a section cut out of a pizza box, but this takes skill... and you have to be careful not to put your foot through the repair until after the inspection is passed.

Of course, if the repair section is the driver's footwell, then you have to use at least a double layer of pizza box to ensure that the inspector's foot won't go through it when he gets in to drive the car.
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 23.01.2017, 19:38
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,784
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
And while I'm at it: I got a garage-space but the door is only made of grid = it's just as cold as outside. If I hose the car down, then put it into the garage, is that okay in winter? Just like it's been raining outside, no?
Depends on the ambient temperature in your car park!
Use your car's temperature gauge, if it has one, to find out.

It was -5C on Saturday when I washed my car by hand outside
I then parked it inside my garage where it is +5C and let it air dry.
No problem.

But if it is <0C and your car is wet, you risk freezing the locks, door handles and doors and whereever else the water can collect during your wash.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FriendlyKiwi for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 24.01.2017, 17:37
FunnyBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 827
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,212 Times in 527 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Today I took the car in for a wash, and the parking sensors went all out of wack.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 24.01.2017, 17:53
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 4,072
Groaned at 155 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 7,109 Times in 3,263 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Today I took the car in for a wash, and the parking sensors went all out of wack.
An ice layer on them will nicely achieve that.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shower Test - What part of your body do you wash first in the shower ? Sada Jokes/funnies 36 12.08.2020 22:18
How do you pick up used furniture when you don't own a car? arincoc Transportation/driving 12 13.10.2015 15:52
Can you wash your car in your driveway? Swiss-American Daily life 6 09.08.2011 15:17
How do you clean your floor when you have a cat? lost_inbroad Pet corner 55 09.06.2011 08:35
How do you get your personal car plates? Eteo Transportation/driving 4 04.06.2010 11:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0