Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.01.2017, 19:05
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 56
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
clawhammer has slipped a little
How do you wash your car?

Tonight I went to the Softcarwash in Oerlikon to wash my car for the first time. There are three self-wash bays and the automatic wash with brushes. I did not want to use the brush wash to avoid swirls and scratches. When I arrived, one of the bays was out of order, and the other two were empty, and all the cars that were arriving opted for the automatic wash (probably because it was -5 outside).

I brought my bucket of goodies with me, put a coin in the machine, and rinsed the car with the soapy water. Then I filled up my bucket. When the time ran out, I hand washed the car using my bucket. When I was done, I put another coin in, and rinsed the car off, and did my best to dry it off before the water started freezing. This is a technique that I used for many years in the US prior to having my own house.

Shortly after I started the car wash, a delivery van took the bay next to me, and the guy started washing his van. Then an old man pulled up in an old Skoda, and waited. Except he didn't wait in his car, he was hovering outside my bay as I hand-washed my car. He never said anything to me, but I could tell by his behavior that he was not too pleased about how I was using the car wash. He acted like I was stealing all the coins from the machine. Eventually, the delivery van finished, and he pulled into that bay. I left shortly thereafter.

Did I do something wrong? Is this not allowed here? Or do people really have nothing better to do than to make sure that others aren't breaking the rules?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.01.2017, 19:07
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,862
Groaned at 1,216 Times in 953 Posts
Thanked 25,979 Times in 12,431 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

It's not allowed.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.01.2017, 19:37
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 9,964
Groaned at 149 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 13,965 Times in 5,665 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

My car gets washed when it gets its yearly service.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 20.01.2017, 19:49
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 792
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 639 Times in 308 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
It's not allowed.

Tom
No no.

I like to mix with the common men, and women at the self washing areas...

From time to time.

When I am in the mood...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jack of all trades. for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 20.01.2017, 19:50
Don Molina's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 735
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,040 Times in 449 Posts
Don Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Yeah it's better if you try and do it a not-very-busy time of the day.

Weekends is a no go unless it's raining.

I go to the same car wash, and try to do it at 9 at night sometimes that I know it's empty when I want to do a hand-wash.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.01.2017, 19:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,111
Groaned at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,582 Times in 1,546 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Hand held Jet wash - only way.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.01.2017, 19:53
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 792
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 639 Times in 308 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Yeah it's better if you try and do it a not-very-busy time of the day.

Weekends is a no go unless it's raining.

I go to the same car wash, and try to do it at 9 at night sometimes that I know it's empty when I want to do a hand-wash.
Yes it is very private at that time...

Good thinking. (Thinkers...)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20.01.2017, 19:58
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 792
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 639 Times in 308 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Hand held Jet wash - only way.
If I don't do the auto then its no brush time with the self wash.

Range Rovers dont like brushes....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.01.2017, 20:50
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 5,167
Groaned at 630 Times in 409 Posts
Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,901 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Life is too short to wash cars, automatic car wash every time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 20.01.2017, 21:06
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,932
Groaned at 315 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 8,968 Times in 3,179 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Tonight I went to the Softcarwash in Oerlikon to wash my car for the first time. There are three self-wash bays and the automatic wash with brushes. I did not want to use the brush wash to avoid swirls and scratches. When I arrived, one of the bays was out of order, and the other two were empty, and all the cars that were arriving opted for the automatic wash (probably because it was -5 outside).

I brought my bucket of goodies with me, put a coin in the machine, and rinsed the car with the soapy water. Then I filled up my bucket. When the time ran out, I hand washed the car using my bucket. When I was done, I put another coin in, and rinsed the car off, and did my best to dry it off before the water started freezing. This is a technique that I used for many years in the US prior to having my own house.

Shortly after I started the car wash, a delivery van took the bay next to me, and the guy started washing his van. Then an old man pulled up in an old Skoda, and waited. Except he didn't wait in his car, he was hovering outside my bay as I hand-washed my car. He never said anything to me, but I could tell by his behavior that he was not too pleased about how I was using the car wash. He acted like I was stealing all the coins from the machine. Eventually, the delivery van finished, and he pulled into that bay. I left shortly thereafter.

Did I do something wrong? Is this not allowed here? Or do people really have nothing better to do than to make sure that others aren't breaking the rules?
Yep. Occupying a bay when not actually paying for anything. Want to hand wash your car? OK, but don't do it in the bay and block it for others...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 20.01.2017, 21:59
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,735
Groaned at 45 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,643 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Weekends is a no go unless it's raining.
Shirley, if it's raining, there's no need to wash the car...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 20.01.2017, 22:00
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 6,172
Groaned at 68 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 6,421 Times in 3,455 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
It's not allowed.

Tom
What is not allowed?? That's what these bays are for, no?

I'm interested because I decided the other day, I'll use those from now on as I'm not interested to pay 17.00 - which is the minimum price around here - just for the car to look the same two days later.
Even though, I thought about just hosing it down, skipping the soaping up thing

And while I'm at it: I got a garage-space but the door is only made of grid = it's just as cold as outside. If I hose the car down, then put it into the garage, is that okay in winter? Just like it's been raining outside, no?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.01.2017, 23:59
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,862
Groaned at 1,216 Times in 953 Posts
Thanked 25,979 Times in 12,431 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
What is not allowed??
Using your own stuff.

The local places that I know have signs to that effect.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 21.01.2017, 10:34
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,177
Groaned at 99 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 19,074 Times in 7,330 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Using your own stuff.

The local places that I know have signs to that effect.

Tom
Our local car wash also has big signs up, too. Probably they're not too fussed if it's a quiet time of the day but, if like in the OP's case, it was busy with one booth out of order, I'm surprised the fidgety guy waiting didn't say anything. I would definitely have had a whinge.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 21.01.2017, 10:45
Fish Paste's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North
Posts: 623
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 727 Times in 342 Posts
Fish Paste has an excellent reputationFish Paste has an excellent reputationFish Paste has an excellent reputationFish Paste has an excellent reputation
Re: How do you wash your car?

I do what the OP does, but off peak, and the venue has 7 bays so no-one has to wait for my one.
Signs up with buckets, cloths crossed out.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21.01.2017, 10:47
Morgs's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Morgs has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
I'm interested because I decided the other day, I'll use those from now on as I'm not interested to pay 17.00 - which is the minimum price around here - just for the car to look the same two days later.
Even though, I thought about just hosing it down, skipping the soaping up thing
There are a couple of automatic car washes around greater Zurich that are cheaper. They are mainly off the beaten track in some industrial park and don't look so shiney and new. It's great at only 8chf for the basic wash, which is totally fine and the one all the limo drivers use for their S Classes...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Morgs for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 21.01.2017, 11:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mies
Posts: 632
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 411 Times in 243 Posts
catandmouse is considered knowledgeablecatandmouse is considered knowledgeablecatandmouse is considered knowledgeable
Re: How do you wash your car?

These car-wash places have to treat the water before it's fed into the waste water pipes. You'll see that round the self-service jets there are drains to collect the water. They don't like you bringing your own stuff because they don't know what's in it (and they have to pay for the treatment).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank catandmouse for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 21.01.2017, 12:06
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 6,172
Groaned at 68 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 6,421 Times in 3,455 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
Using your own stuff.
The local places that I know have signs to that effect.
Tom
Ah okay, well I wouldn't anyway. As I said I was just thinking of hosing the dirt off. I was more interested in the second part of my question about putting the wet car into the garage, thought I heard something about it once but I suppose it's a myth or not a problem anymore with the newer cars ...

Quote:
View Post
There are a couple of automatic car washes around greater Zurich that are cheaper. They are mainly off the beaten track in some industrial park and don't look so shiney and new. It's great at only 8chf for the basic wash, which is totally fine and the one all the limo drivers use for their S Classes...
Aha, what's this, a teaser-post? Or a bet: "How long will it take her to find one of those"?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 21.01.2017, 12:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,862
Groaned at 192 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,175 Times in 4,137 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you wash your car?

Quote:
View Post
I was more interested in the second part of my question about putting the wet car into the garage, thought I heard something about it once but I suppose it's a myth or not a problem anymore with the newer cars ...
water can freeze on a new car too
i don't wash my car in minus termperatures for that reason.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21.01.2017, 13:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Skrelz has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you wash your car?

I washed mine today, exactly as you do, but go at 06.00 when no one is around to complain.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you pick up used furniture when you don't own a car? arincoc Transportation/driving 12 13.10.2015 14:52
Can you wash your car in your driveway? Swiss-American Daily life 6 09.08.2011 14:17
How do you clean your floor when you have a cat? lost_inbroad Pet corner 55 09.06.2011 07:35
How do you get your personal car plates? Eteo Transportation/driving 4 04.06.2010 10:37
Shower Test - What part of your body do you wash first in the shower ? Sada Jokes/funnies 23 18.02.2009 00:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0