Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.03.2017, 18:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lully
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
HelsH has no particular reputation at present
Trailer import

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. We are in the process of moving to Switzerland from the UK. We have purchased a Swiss car which we will drive back to Switzerland when we move at the end of the month. I am planning to import my horse box. We have a bit of a catch 22 regarding number plates. In the U.K. It would be correct for the trailer plates to match the car plates. Clearly once in Switzerland the trailer will need its own plates, but I can't get these until the trailer is in Switzerland. What would be the most legal way to square this circle?

Also J have a BE licence in the U.K. When I switch to a Swiss licence will I retain my BE, or will I have to take a trailer test?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.03.2017, 18:14
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,576
Groaned at 33 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 6,721 Times in 2,161 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

Can't answer the first question, but can confirm that all EU entitlements will be carried over to your CH license.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.03.2017, 18:18
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,073
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,153 Times in 2,138 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

I can't help with your specific questions but make sure you purchase a 2017 vignette (green autoroute sticker) here for the trailer. It needs to be stuck on the trailer someplace if you are planning to drive on the autoroute with it.

The best place to go with your questions is the SAN in Lausanne (BlÚcherette exit). They will tell you exactly what is needed for the trailer and your licence changeover.

Last edited by Verbier; 20.03.2017 at 18:20. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.03.2017, 18:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lully
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
HelsH has no particular reputation at present
Re: Trailer import

Thank you. 2 vignettes purchased ready to go on the vehicles. I will drop into SAN when we are over this week.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.03.2017, 18:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lully
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
HelsH has no particular reputation at present
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
Can't answer the first question, but can confirm that all EU entitlements will be carried over to your CH license.
Fantastic. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.03.2017, 19:34
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 12,057
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

Are you transporting your worldly goods in your trailer?

You might have problems on the border, as you will only get Swiss plates once the trailer is insured, and they won't insure the trailer until it is registered.

There is a way out.

Leave the trailer on the border at customs car park, and drive to SAN Lausanne. Buy a daily transit pass, "Permis Ó court terme" for a remorque. This includes plate and insurance, you need your Swiss Permit, driving license, passport etc.

Take plate back to border, mount it on trailer, and collect trailer, import everything (including trailer) as your personal pocessions, and deliver household goods. Take temporary plate back to SAN in Lausanne. The plate costs Fr 75 per day plus Fr 200 refundable deposit.

Remorque: http://www.vd.ch/themes/mobilite/aut...a-court-terme/

At sometime you then need to get the trailer inspected by the SAN. You can drive it to the vehicle test appointment from your Swiss home without plates, and back again. Or drive it illegally back to the UK.

Read the Forum about importing personal household goods!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 20.03.2017, 19:50
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 25,837
Groaned at 1,611 Times in 1,239 Posts
Thanked 29,957 Times in 14,306 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

There is no problem to pull a foreign plated trailer with a Swiss registered vehicle.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.03.2017, 19:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lully
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
HelsH has no particular reputation at present
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
Are you transporting your worldly goods in your trailer?

You might have problems on the border, as you will only get Swiss plates once the trailer is insured, and they won't insure the trailer until it is registered.

There is a way out.

Leave the trailer on the border at customs car park, and drive to SAN Lausanne. Buy a daily transit pass, "Permis Ó court terme" for a remorque. This includes plate and insurance, you need your Swiss Permit, driving license, passport etc.

Take plate back to border, mount it on trailer, and collect trailer, import everything (including trailer) as your personal pocessions, and deliver household goods. Take temporary plate back to SAN in Lausanne. The plate costs Fr 75 per day plus Fr 200 refundable deposit.

Remorque: http://www.vd.ch/themes/mobilite/aut...a-court-terme/

At sometime you then need to get the trailer inspected by the SAN. You can drive it to the vehicle test appointment from your Swiss home without plates, and back again. Or drive it illegally back to the UK.

Read the Forum about importing personal household goods!
Thanks. Great info on the temporary plate. This is the way forward. The forum has indeed been very useful on household goods. These are going separately with Pickfords. I have already run the 18.44 gauntlet (we will be having 3 separate forms) when my horses went over last week. We are driving with the family, including 2 cats, camping stuff for the first few days before Pickfords turn up with our furniture and an empty trailer which will go on the second 18.44 form, then the Pickfords people will have the third form for everything else. We've been having some help from PWC relocations people, so I'm hoping everything ties up!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.03.2017, 19:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lully
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
HelsH has no particular reputation at present
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
There is no problem to pull a foreign plated trailer with a Swiss registered vehicle.

Tom
Ah. That's good to know. Is there a time limit, as I do know I'll have to get it tested, insured and plated eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.03.2017, 20:07
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 25,837
Groaned at 1,611 Times in 1,239 Posts
Thanked 29,957 Times in 14,306 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

Same as for importing a car, one year.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 20.03.2017, 20:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lully
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
HelsH has no particular reputation at present
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
Same as for importing a car, one year.

Tom
Fantastic. That takes the pressure off!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.03.2017, 20:35
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 732
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 357 Times in 231 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. Great info on the temporary plate. This is the way forward. The forum has indeed been very useful on household goods. These are going separately with Pickfords. I have already run the 18.44 gauntlet (we will be having 3 separate forms) when my horses went over last week. We are driving with the family, including 2 cats, camping stuff for the first few days before Pickfords turn up with our furniture and an empty trailer which will go on the second 18.44 form, then the Pickfords people will have the third form for everything else. We've been having some help from PWC relocations people, so I'm hoping everything ties up!
The temporary plate is not valid for use outside Switzerland... The insurance I believe...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank p42 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 20.03.2017, 20:43
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 25,837
Groaned at 1,611 Times in 1,239 Posts
Thanked 29,957 Times in 14,306 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
The temporary plate is not valid for use outside Switzerland... The insurance I believe...
If it's registered in the UK (or any country), why would he need a temporary plate?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20.03.2017, 21:22
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 12,057
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
If it's registered in the UK (or any country), why would he need a temporary plate? Tom
This used to be correct:

British trailers are not registered, the owner orders a third number plate and the insurance is covered by the towing car insurance policy. If another car tows the trailer, the trailer number plate has to be changed to reflect the car's number.

He cannot easily drive into Switzerland with a Swiss car and a trailer with a UK numberplate, as he has no trailer registration and no insurance.

Normally he would probably not be checked, but if he is stopping at Swiss customs, the vehicle number is stated on the import forms, and chances are high they will notice the trailer vehicle is not registered.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.03.2019, 16:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cwalsh has become a little unpopularCwalsh has become a little unpopular
Re: Trailer import

Hi, I just sent you a message as I'm looking at bringing my horse box from the UK to CH.


Quote:
View Post
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. We are in the process of moving to Switzerland from the UK. We have purchased a Swiss car which we will drive back to Switzerland when we move at the end of the month. I am planning to import my horse box. We have a bit of a catch 22 regarding number plates. In the U.K. It would be correct for the trailer plates to match the car plates. Clearly once in Switzerland the trailer will need its own plates, but I can't get these until the trailer is in Switzerland. What would be the most legal way to square this circle?

Also J have a BE licence in the U.K. When I switch to a Swiss licence will I retain my BE, or will I have to take a trailer test?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Cwalsh for this post:
  #16  
Old 01.03.2019, 17:08
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,734
Groaned at 761 Times in 519 Posts
Thanked 8,259 Times in 3,911 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I just sent you a message as I'm looking at bringing my horse box from the UK to CH.

So what exactly is the point of that, taking into account the last post by Hesh was nearly 2 years ago !
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01.03.2019, 17:31
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 9,697
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 14,687 Times in 6,508 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
So what exactly is the point of that, taking into account the last post by Hesh was nearly 2 years ago !
They never made it to Switzerland So we do not know how they finally tried to tow the trailer and how they sorted the license plate problem? Or did they just gave up? So many question so many mysteries.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 01.03.2019, 21:55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cwalsh has become a little unpopularCwalsh has become a little unpopular
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
So what exactly is the point of that, taking into account the last post by Hesh was nearly 2 years ago !
I bet you're loads of fun to be around
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Cwalsh for this post:
  #19  
Old 05.03.2019, 09:29
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 732
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 357 Times in 231 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I just sent you a message as I'm looking at bringing my horse box from the UK to CH.
People from the UK come here with caravans and stuff. I think this most likely means that in your first year you can bring the trailer using your UK car and insurance to tow it, but after that, you would need to bring the trailer over the border on a trailer, and do a formal import, using proof of purchase, receipt, etc. After you have been here for a year, you can't drive any UK registered vehicle here *AT ALL*, ever, or so it seems.

There are quite a few Ifor Williams horse boxes over here already. I quite fancy one myself They always look good behind a Land Rover.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05.03.2019, 11:36
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 9,697
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 14,687 Times in 6,508 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer import

Quote:
View Post
After you have been here for a year, you can't drive any UK registered vehicle here *AT ALL*, ever, or so it seems.


As a Swiss resident you can not use (*) a foreign vehicle unless you have prior approval from Swiss customs. Regardless if you have been here less or more than one year. Such an approval is easy to get in case it is your own car and it is part of your household belonging which you move.

(*) Important distinction. There are situation where you drive but not actually use a vehicle in the customs law sense.

Quote:
but after that, you would need to bring the trailer over the border on a trailer, and do a formal import
Also before you will have to do declare it and do the correct paperwork.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To import or not to import French car into Switzerland jjrb37 Transportation/driving 43 29.08.2018 18:50
5 cars and trailer to import gordoni7 Insurance 0 21.08.2009 11:34
Do you have a cargo trailer or flatbed trailer? PC_Advisor Transportation/driving 4 05.10.2007 11:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0