Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 14.05.2017, 10:27
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,253
Groaned at 93 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,710 Times in 8,297 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
As far as I know, if you have an EU drivers license should be a straight swap... but reading here, it looks like you need to had it for more than 1 year
It is still a straight swap. But you will be treated as what you are: A novice driver which certain restrictions and obligations.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 14.05.2017, 12:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 16 Posts
mkhisg has earned some respectmkhisg has earned some respect
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
Not if OP was still registered here, the magic word is domicilie
Nope. It also applies when you are resident/registered in CH. A close friend of mine did it!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 14.05.2017, 13:37
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,371
Groaned at 349 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 12,374 Times in 5,951 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
Nope. It also applies when you are resident/registered in CH. A close friend of mine did it!
You are saying you can go abroad, continue to be registered in Switzerland, and get your driving licence abroad?

No, as long as you are registered in Switzerland and then go abroad to get a new licence, this one is not valid in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 14.05.2017, 13:59
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,016
Groaned at 385 Times in 295 Posts
Thanked 18,836 Times in 10,147 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
You are saying you can go abroad, continue to be registered in Switzerland, and get your driving licence abroad?

No, as long as you are registered in Switzerland and then go abroad to get a new licence, this one is not valid in Switzerland.
Since a false declaration would have been made, it's probably not valid anywhere......
Quote:
View Post
Not if OP was still registered here, the magic word is domicilie
But NOT the British meaning of the word.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 14.05.2017, 14:30
martin959's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St Gallen
Posts: 1,243
Groaned at 26 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 561 Times in 317 Posts
martin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of many
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
It is still a straight swap. But you will be treated as what you are: A novice driver which certain restrictions and obligations.
For example? I would have to use the L on my back window?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 14.05.2017, 15:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 16 Posts
mkhisg has earned some respectmkhisg has earned some respect
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
You are saying you can go abroad, continue to be registered in Switzerland, and get your driving licence abroad?

No, as long as you are registered in Switzerland and then go abroad to get a new licence, this one is not valid in Switzerland.
You could interpret the law as much as you like. The friend who did it, has converted her driving licence (she had to attend the two additional courses) and she is driving with it in CH! BTW, it's the OCN who told her about that!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 14.05.2017, 16:30
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,741
Groaned at 193 Times in 170 Posts
Thanked 18,505 Times in 7,766 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
Yes the Swiss take away your driving licence when you ask to get the Swiss equivalent. I have always thought this questionable to say the least. This is all part of the permanent control the Swiss Govt wants to have on everything and everybody. Think of the Swiss authorities as very sick control freaks. Of course, money plays a role, everything that puts money in to the coffers of the Swiss economy is a good thing and there is a whole industry around what should be a right but is now the privilege of having your own transportation.
So does every country in the EU. You exchange your licence for the one issued by the country you are resident in, you don't get to hold the two licences simultaneously.

Quote:
View Post
You could interpret the law as much as you like. The friend who did it, has converted her driving licence (she had to attend the two additional courses) and she is driving with it in CH! BTW, it's the OCN who told her about that!
The key is the two additional courses. She was treated as a novice driver so could only convert her licence under certain conditions ( taking the additional courses within a certain time frame).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 14.05.2017, 16:38
jbn jbn is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vaud
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
jbn has no particular reputation at present
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
Yes the Swiss take away your driving licence when you ask to get the Swiss equivalent. I have always thought this questionable to say the least. This is all part of the permanent control the Swiss Govt wants to have on everything and everybody. Think of the Swiss authorities as very sick control freaks. Of course, money plays a role, everything that puts money in to the coffers of the Swiss economy is a good thing and there is a whole industry around what should be a right but is now the privilege of having your own transportation.
Easy tiger! When you move to any country and exchange your previous driving licence it will be retained and sent back to the issuing country. It does mean that should you move (back) there you can get the driving license reissued.

Bit less invective against the Swiss please!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 14.05.2017, 16:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 16 Posts
mkhisg has earned some respectmkhisg has earned some respect
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
So does every country in the EU. You exchange your licence for the one issued by the country you are resident in, you don't get to hold the two licences simultaneously.



The key is the two additional courses. She was treated as a novice driver so could only convert her licence under certain conditions ( taking the additional courses within a certain time frame).
That's correct! She had a 3-year time range to attend the two courses (which do not include any exam)!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mkhisg for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 14.05.2017, 16:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Driving License conversion problem

My Swiss licence was valid for 1 year as a visitor, and only 6 months once resident. Did you ever try then, to swap your licence in pre EU/reciprocal agreements days? Perhaps you were not born ?

And yes, I had to drive with an L - didn't realise that until just before the test- in Walton-on-Thames - MIL made 2 with lipstick on cardboard and tied them to the TR4 with ribbon. The Examiner checked, gave me a funny look but didn't say anything, but passed me - saying 'powerful car, you will be careful out there' - before I had to pull him out of the car as he was huge

You won't believe me of course - but I truly don't care

Last edited by 3Wishes; 14.05.2017 at 20:46. Reason: removed quote
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 14.05.2017, 17:53
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
So does every country in the EU. You exchange your licence for the one issued by the country you are resident in, you don't get to hold the two licences simultaneously.
Sure you can. I got mine back with a sticker that said 'not valid in Switzerland '
Others on the forum have as well.

Quote:
The key is the two additional courses. She was treated as a novice driver so could only convert her licence under certain conditions ( taking the additional courses within a certain time frame).
But at least she did not have to the exam, the CPR course and the practical lessons. The exam is a huge PITA, particularly in Vaud that has the highest fail rate and the classes are expensive!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 14.05.2017, 17:54
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
could you explain that please. My Swiss licence was valid for 1 year as a visitor, and only 6 months once resident. Did you ever try then, to swap your licence in pre EU/reciprocal agreements days? Perhaps you were not born ?

And yes, I had to drive with an L - didn't realise that until just before the test- in Walton-on-Thames - MIL made 2 with lipstick on cardboard and tied them to the TR4 with ribbon. The Examiner checked, gave me a funny look but didn't say anything, but passed me - saying 'powerful car, you will be careful out there' - before I had to pull him out of the car as he was huge

You won't believe me of course - but I truly don't care
That in 1970!!! Things have changed quite a lot since then.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 14.05.2017, 18:06
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,687
Groaned at 142 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 4,526 Times in 1,799 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
could you explain that please....

You won't believe me of course - but I truly don't care
I believe every word of your DL conversion story.

Telling people that 'of course', 'probably' Brexit will affect UK driver's licenses in CH, is just plain silly. CH isn't even in the EU FFS.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 14.05.2017, 18:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Yes, Minimia- my post was quite clear, about things having changed since 1970- that was the point, entirely ...


No Pilatus- but it has reciprocal agreements with the EU - which will probably no longer be valid with the UK, post Brexit - of course this won't affect the reciprocal agreements with other EU countries.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 14.05.2017, 18:18
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,741
Groaned at 193 Times in 170 Posts
Thanked 18,505 Times in 7,766 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
View Post
Sure you can. I got mine back with a sticker that said 'not valid in Switzerland '
Others on the forum have as well.
!
Was it an EU licence? My post was only referring to EU licences.
I thought that EU licences were retained and returned to the issuing authorities whereas non EU were returned but with the not valid in Switzerland sticker on them.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 14.05.2017, 19:00
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,016
Groaned at 385 Times in 295 Posts
Thanked 18,836 Times in 10,147 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
could you explain that please. My Swiss licence was valid for 1 year as a visitor, and only 6 months once resident. Did you ever try then, to swap your licence in pre EU/reciprocal agreements days? Perhaps you were not born ?

And yes, I had to drive with an L - didn't realise that until just before the test- in Walton-on-Thames - MIL made 2 with lipstick on cardboard and tied them to the TR4 with ribbon. The Examiner checked, gave me a funny look but didn't say anything, but passed me - saying 'powerful car, you will be careful out there' - before I had to pull him out of the car as he was huge

You won't believe me of course - but I truly don't care
Were you really UK resident at the time........
This is presumably before you went as a to the UK as a secretary, then got married & stayed in the UK for 40 years.
Canadians & Americans can swop their licenses as can many other 3rd country citizens.

From your final paragraph you were already married, I call BS to some of your claims.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 14.05.2017, 19:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Driving License conversion problem

oh I know you do - enjoy.

Yep, got to UK early 1970, just after taking both car and motorcycle licences in CH- Returned to CH late 70 after 6 months assignment with Beechams- had car accident December 1970 in CH, on my way to UK- got married May 71, in a CH hospital. Rejoined OH in London July 71- had to re-take driving licence later in 71. I know you won't believe it - but that is fine, dear.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 14.05.2017 at 20:47. Reason: see PM
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 14.05.2017, 19:29
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,016
Groaned at 385 Times in 295 Posts
Thanked 18,836 Times in 10,147 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
oh I know you do - enjoy.

Yep, got to UK early 1970, just after taking both car and motorcylce licences in CH. Returned to CH late 70 after 6 months assignment with Beechams- had car accident December 1970 in CH, on my way to UK- got married May 71, in a CH hospital. Rejoined OH in London July 71- had to re-take driving licence later in 71. I know you won't believe it - but that is fine, dear.
So are you saying your Swiss license could not be converted to a UK license, which is different from your UK license not being transferable to CH.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 14.05.2017, 19:34
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Quote:
Yes, Minimia- my post was quite clear, about things having changed since 1970- that was the point, entirely ...


No Pilatus- but it has reciprocal agreements with the EU - which will probably no longer be valid with the UK, post Brexit - of course this won't affect the reciprocal agreements with other EU countries.
Why would things revert back to how it was in 1970? That's just silly. You don't think they have an updated law they could copy?

Quote:
View Post
Was it an EU licence? My post was onl

y referring to EU licences.
I thought that EU licences were retained and returned to the issuing authorities whereas non EU were returned but with the not valid in Switzerland sticker on them.
Yes. Good point. I skipped over those two letters.
Mine was a non EU license.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 14.05.2017, 20:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Driving License conversion problem

Simply because they are part of a reciprocal agreement which won't be valid with UK anymore. No-one knows what will happen- but it is possible. It will probably apply to many things re UK, work permits, pensions, reciprocal health agreements, bringing spouses (as my initial work permit was for 6 months- I had to return to CH, and the only way I could come back, was for us to marry, aged 19 and 24) ...who knows?

Just remembered FMF, I have 2 retired Senior cops in GE who could testify if your Lordship requires- and a few in Verbier too (are you still there, pretending you are in Malta?) and a Judge and senior policeman in Valais- if you so desire.

Over and out for a while, ta.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
conversion, driving exam, driving license, license, problem




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Wanted] Driving instructor for License Conversion and driving test in Zurich jijo11 Transportation/driving 13 17.12.2014 17:41
Driving license conversion for wife fromsiggenthal Transportation/driving 7 10.11.2014 23:56
Mexican driving license conversion? Gaggiol0 Transportation/driving 1 01.10.2013 21:48
Driving License Conversion and driving test Zurich natcam Transportation/driving 17 03.11.2012 01:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0