Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 19.07.2017, 18:35
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,454
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,864 Times in 6,726 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
Do you bill yourself for using the stuff you own? That's the same situation as with the communal police using the public parking.
Oh no, it's not. The communal police does not own the public parking spaces!
The community does. And the community employed and pays the police. Amongst other things to keep parking spaces free from cars who's drivers don't pay the fee. Not to block parking spaces with cars which also belong to the community.

Next question: Where do these blokes park if all parking spaces are taken? In the stopping restriction zone?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 19.07.2017, 18:47
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
Oh no, it's not. The communal police does not own the public parking spaces!
The community does. And the community employed and pays the police. Amongst other things to keep parking spaces free from cars who's drivers don't pay the fee. Not to block parking spaces with cars which also belong to the community.
Sometimes you need to consume a little bit of a resource in order to manage the rest of it. So it may be in the interests of the community if employees of the community can use resources of the community in providing their service to the community.

Your electricity meter uses a little bit of electricity itself. Does that mean the electrical company is stealing frpm you?

Assuming for a moment that it would be unfeasible for the police to come by bicycle or public transport, they would need to come by car and they would need to park that car somewhere. So what should they do? Put the fee in the meter and reclaim that on expenses? I'm sure if it were revealed they were wasting time and creating paperwork doing that that there would be a far bigger outcry. So isn't it just he more practical version to say they have a special dispensation to park there without paying, provided they use that right only in the performance of their defined duties, and not for off duty purposes?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 19.07.2017, 18:50
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
Actually it's the commune who finances the communal police. And no, the Kanton gets nothing. The parking lots are communal property, no reason why the Kanton should get any share of the fees.

Do you bill yourself for using the stuff you own? That's the same situation as with the communal police using the public parking.
Ok, and who finances the commune? The tax payers obviously.

And the Canton receives the money generated from the parking fees (or at least the larger chunk of it). Maybe you should step out your expat bubble for a minute and try integrating a bit.

I don't know what background you have but in the corporate world, it is not uncommon to bill yourself for services rendered to a sister company or a subsidiary.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 19.07.2017, 18:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,032
Groaned at 348 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 10,388 Times in 5,490 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
Oh no, it's not. The communal police does not own the public parking spaces!
The community does. And the community employed and pays the police.
Same difference.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 19.07.2017, 18:56
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
Ok, and who finances the commune? The tax payers obviously.

And the Canton receives the money generated from the parking fees (or at least the larger chunk of it). Maybe you should step out your expat bubble for a minute and try integrating a bit.

I don't know what background you have but in the corporate world, it is not uncommon to bill yourself for services rendered to a sister company or a subsidiary.
In the corporate world it's also common to have a frame agreement with suppliers, meaning individual minor expenses do not have to be negotiated or invoiced individually but can be subsumed onto a tab of the agreement according to a previously negotiated price list. This cuts down on administartive costs in a big way and generally expedites things.

Maybe such an agreement exists between the police and the Gemeinde? If not on paper at least in a de facto form.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 19.07.2017, 19:00
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
In the corporate world it's also common to have a frame agreement with suppliers, meaning individual minor expenses do not have to be negotiated or invoiced individually but can be subsumed onto a tab of the agreement according to a previously negotiated price list. This cuts down on administartive costs in a big way and generally expedites things.

Maybe such an agreement exists between the police and the Gemeinde? If not on paper at least in a de facto form.
Precisely, that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 19.07.2017, 19:47
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,454
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,864 Times in 6,726 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
Sometimes you need to consume a little bit of a resource in order to manage the rest of it. So it may be in the interests of the community if employees of the community can use resources of the community in providing their service to the community.

Your electricity meter uses a little bit of electricity itself. Does that mean the electrical company is stealing frpm you?
Yep, it could be reasoned like that. But Switzerland being Switzerland that should be jotted down somewhere (which is what Lib is trying to find out: Where?)

The electricity the meter uses must be payed by the electrical company Goes under "Aufwand" into the book-keeping.

Quote:
View Post
In the corporate world it's also common to have a frame agreement with suppliers, meaning individual minor expenses do not have to be negotiated or invoiced individually but can be subsumed onto a tab of the agreement according to a previously negotiated price list. This cuts down on administartive costs in a big way and generally expedites things.

Maybe such an agreement exists between the police and the Gemeinde? If not on paper at least in a de facto form.
No such thing as a de facto form in a constitutional state
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 19.07.2017, 22:26
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,873
Groaned at 180 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,130 Times in 3,363 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Here is Cannuts thought ,Lib is surrounded be some bad asses ,shots are fired . The Schugger /Cop sows up , and discovers he has no change . Should he go back to the station get some change or go to the next pup having a bier and ask for change for the meter .What do they do in Kentucky ?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 20.07.2017, 09:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
Next Blick headline: Corrupt Police Officers Abuse Power
funniest post in a long time - hey, if on duty, they don't pay. If off duty, they should pay- but probably won't what are you going to do about it - call the cops.

When I lived in the UK and visited my parents regularly, I'd stay the night with friends in Grand Saconney. Last time, he told me he would pick me up at 10.00 to take me to airport- arrived all sirens blazing- put me in handcuffs and drove me all sirens blazing right to the EasyJet door- took handcuffs off and gave me a big hug (2m10 good loooking young man) and sent me on my way - mortified? Yes. Hilarious, yes. Probably not in the rule book ...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 20.07.2017, 10:13
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,732
Groaned at 190 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 18,466 Times in 7,760 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:

(2m10 good loooking young man) ...
2m10? I'm not surprised he raised a few eyebrows. I'm amazed he could even fit comfortably in the police car.
To be 6ft10 tall is very unusual.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 20.07.2017 at 10:48.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 20.07.2017, 10:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
2m10? I'm not surprised he raised a few eyebrows. I'm amazed he could even fit comfortably in the police car.
possibly the fact I am built like the proverbial tea pot, passed my sbd and butter wouldn't melt - was the most don't fit the typical Geneva criminal profile, somehow. But yes, he is indeed VERY tall (and no longer a cop in Geneva).
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 20.07.2017, 14:09
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Another day another dollar. I couldn't find anything written online..which is strange.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 20.07.2017, 14:22
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,454
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,864 Times in 6,726 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
Another day another dollar. I couldn't find anything written online..which is strange.
As police, fire brigade, ambulance do not have to obey normal parking/stopping regulations (when on duty, obviously not when going for lunch) you might find the answer where that is ruled.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 20.07.2017, 14:24
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about police parking rights

Quote:
View Post
As police, fire brigade, ambulance do not have to obey normal parking/stopping regulations (when on duty, obviously not when going for lunch) you might find the answer where that is ruled.
No, they do have to follow the rules, they are however exempt in emergency situations.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about parking for wengen residents Sophie76 Housing in general 2 19.08.2017 23:08
Contact with police - your rights and obligations Guest Daily life 13 15.03.2015 18:39
Question about parking ticket swissvisit Transportation/driving 19 20.08.2013 16:43
A question about worker's rights. omtatsat Employment 13 19.04.2011 22:17
Geneva police and human rights gbn Swiss politics/news 19 15.11.2008 19:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0