Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 19.10.2020, 00:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
View Post
I was thinking about the winch as something like the spare tyre, you don't go out seeking to use it every weekend but if you accidentally drive into something a bit deeper than you thought it would be, the winch might save you
I live in the mountains; I have a Landrover Defender; I cannot imagine a scenario in which I would ever use a winch.

A good tow-rope I have, and have used (for other cars) but a winch? Naah, that's just for offroader posers.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 19.10.2020, 08:13
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,740
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,066 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

I've used a tow rope in Scotland - but only to shove under the wheels to stop them slipping getting out of a parking space
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 19.10.2020, 11:30
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,930
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,830 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
View Post
If you really get stuck in snow or mud, neither AWD or 4WD will save you but the winch will get you out of it. You can then rescue other vehicles too.
Quite probably I'm getting older and full of worries, but what are the legal and financial implications of rescuing other vehicles and something goes wrong?

Once I had an old Ram 4x4 on the other side of the Atlantic, getting stuck somewhere was part of the fun I enjoyed with my buddies. But, you don't care about scratching old beaters. Sometimes rescues went wrong and stuff was broken....but no problem, just laugh and another story to tell over beers. But, I'd be quite worried to try this here in CH. Not sure I'd get asked for compensation if their car gets scratched or a fender stuck on the snow detaches from the car while using the winch. I'd offer any time a ride to a warm place to anyone stuck on the snow, but unless it's a friend and an old beater, I'll never try to recover a car from the snow. Any experience on this?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 19.10.2020, 11:44
Jeep Life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: French Part of CH
Posts: 237
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 280 Times in 135 Posts
Jeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeable
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
View Post
Quite probably I'm getting older and full of worries, but what are the legal and financial implications of rescuing other vehicles and something goes wrong?

Once I had an old Ram 4x4 on the other side of the Atlantic, getting stuck somewhere was part of the fun I enjoyed with my buddies. But, you don't care about scratching old beaters. Sometimes rescues went wrong and stuff was broken....but no problem, just laugh and another story to tell over beers. But, I'd be quite worried to try this here in CH. Not sure I'd get asked for compensation if their car gets scratched or a fender stuck on the snow detaches from the car while using the winch. I'd offer any time a ride to a warm place to anyone stuck on the snow, but unless it's a friend and an old beater, I'll never try to recover a car from the snow. Any experience on this?
This actually made me think now.

I have helped people twice (st. croix VD and Cru de van NE) with my tow rope. On one occasion the plastic bumper of the car came slightly detached. The driver who did not speak a word of English thanked me a lot and even offered to pay me some cash (which I thankfully declined). But now I think it could go the other way where the owner will ask me money for the damage.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jeep Life for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 19.10.2020, 12:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
View Post
This actually made me think now.

I have helped people twice (st. croix VD and Cru de van NE) with my tow rope. On one occasion the plastic bumper of the car came slightly detached. The driver who did not speak a word of English thanked me a lot and even offered to pay me some cash (which I thankfully declined). But now I think it could go the other way where the owner will ask me money for the damage.
It's their responsibility to properly attach the tow hook, which presumably they didn't do in that case, and assuming that they asked you to help, I don't think they could make any claim off you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 19.10.2020, 22:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: VD
Posts: 42
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
faggio has earned some respectfaggio has earned some respect
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
I live in the mountains; I have a Landrover Defender; I cannot imagine a scenario in which I would ever use a winch.

A good tow-rope I have, and have used (for other cars) but a winch? Naah, that's just for offroader posers.



If there is nobody else around to pose for then you can tie the rope around a tree on high ground and effectively tow your own vehicle out of whatever you are stuck in.


This can be useful if you are stuck on a slope or a riverbed
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 19.10.2020, 22:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,288
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 18,984 Times in 6,618 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
View Post
This can be useful if you are stuck on a slope or a riverbed

True. I was stuck 3 times on a slope and twice in a riverbed last week (an average week). Without the winch I would have been lost.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 19.10.2020, 22:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: VD
Posts: 42
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
faggio has earned some respectfaggio has earned some respect
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
View Post
True. I was stuck 3 times on a slope and twice in a riverbed last week (an average week). Without the winch I would have been lost.

sounds like you've been working on the latest sequel to Crocodile Dundee


do we have crocodiles in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 19.10.2020, 22:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,288
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 18,984 Times in 6,618 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
View Post
do we have crocodiles in Switzerland?

The Swiss crocodile of course. Punctual and nearly extinct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodile_(locomotive)
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 19.10.2020, 23:03
Jeep Life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: French Part of CH
Posts: 237
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 280 Times in 135 Posts
Jeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeable
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
It's their responsibility to properly attach the tow hook, which presumably they didn't do in that case, and assuming that they asked you to help, I don't think they could make any claim off you.
He was an old gent probably 65+, I attached the tow rope and asked (gestured) him to stay inside the car. Afterwards I drove behind him all the way down the mountain until the road was quite clear of snow.

I'm pretty sure he will never take that road ever again.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 20.10.2020, 00:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: VD
Posts: 42
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
faggio has earned some respectfaggio has earned some respect
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss crocodile of course. Punctual and nearly extinct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodile_(locomotive)



Paul Hogan has been here too from what I hear
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 20.10.2020, 10:13
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,930
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,830 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

Quote:
View Post
If there is nobody else around to pose for then you can tie the rope around a tree on high ground and effectively tow your own vehicle out of whatever you are stuck in.

This can be useful if you are stuck on a slope or a riverbed
A winch?

What you need to pull a car every once in while:



What you need when getting stuck in mud or snow is part of the fun......or you work involves recovering banked vehicles:

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 21.10.2020, 00:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: VD
Posts: 42
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
faggio has earned some respectfaggio has earned some respect
Re: AWD or front-wheel drive?

The Swiss have another alternative to the winch - The St Bernard dog can pull cars too
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank faggio for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear wheel drive? Corbets Transportation/driving 98 01.08.2013 08:50
Rear wheel drive cars in Swiss snow SamM Transportation/driving 40 11.06.2013 10:28
Need a garage to straighten front wheel(s) AleksandrN Transportation/driving 2 05.06.2012 22:30
Rear wheel drive in snow? gc2011 Transportation/driving 62 29.09.2011 09:14
Do I need an all wheel drive vehicle? ground Transportation/driving 35 22.11.2009 21:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0