Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.09.2018, 01:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bench has no particular reputation at present
SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and will relocate to CH in the next month.

I'm looking at the SBB website,it seems there is a discount for Half-Fare travel card.
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...ass-for-2.html

For new customers: receive a CHF 25 discount on the price of a Half-Fare travelcard.
https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/d...bbdownload.pdf

Could you confirm it is true.

Also, I will bring two big suitcases, do you think the SBB will allow them or have sufficient storage space on the train.

I may plan to take the taxi from Airport to Neuchatel in case the train does allow me to bring large luggage, but the cost seems too high. Any advice for the alternatives.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.09.2018, 07:53
Horatio Gonzales's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Luzern
Posts: 453
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 138 Times in 80 Posts
Horatio Gonzales is considered knowledgeableHoratio Gonzales is considered knowledgeableHoratio Gonzales is considered knowledgeable
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Should be no problem with the suitcases, many passengers bring full size suitcases every day on the trains.

Try to get on the train as early as you can before departure to set yourself up and get case space and a seat.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.09.2018, 09:55
BNG BNG is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
BNG has no particular reputation at present
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and will relocate to CH in the next month.

I'm looking at the SBB website,it seems there is a discount for Half-Fare travel card.
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...ass-for-2.html

For new customers: receive a CHF 25 discount on the price of a Half-Fare travelcard.
https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/d...bbdownload.pdf

Could you confirm it is true.

Also, I will bring two big suitcases, do you think the SBB will allow them or have sufficient storage space on the train.

I may plan to take the taxi from Airport to Neuchatel in case the train does allow me to bring large luggage, but the cost seems too high. Any advice for the alternatives.

Thank you.

My husband and I each had 2 suitcases when we took the train from Geneva to Neuchatel and we didnt have a problem. Just try and get on quickly when it arrives.

I am new to the Swiss Pass, just received my half fare card, but the coupon looks real...Just make sure that you have your Swiss Pass when traveling. They will ask for you to show it.

Happy Moving!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.09.2018, 11:24
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,044
Groaned at 98 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 4,429 Times in 2,121 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Quote:
View Post
Could you confirm it is true.
Hmm if it says it on the SBB site who are we to argue??? ;-)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 30.09.2018, 12:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,516
Groaned at 57 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,396 Times in 710 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Geneva Airport? If so the train that leaves at 5 minutes after the hour (to Zürich) is direct to Neuchatel. Those are the Bombardier tilting trains and they have some places for baggage storage or, if they fit, the bags can go between the seatbacks. Have a look at travelling in First Class, there will less demand for the baggage storage areas. If the train is not full the conductor will let you get away with bags in front of the seat. If it is full s/he may ask you to pay for the seats.

Otherwise you will have to change at Geneva, Morges or Lausanne. Morges is OK as it is just across the platform (or the same track) and usually just a few minutes, Geneva and Lausanne means you have to go up down stairs. There are some escalators and ramps. Try and avoid rush hours.

2nd class without a discount is CHF 48; first is CHF84. Half that with the demi-tariff.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 30.09.2018, 18:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bench has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Hmm if it says it on the SBB site who are we to argue??? ;-)
Well, if you visit SBB website, browse to Half-travel card, you will never find this discount information.
Just when you visit the Day pass for 2, then you see this promotion code.
That's why I'm wondering and hope someone overhere just had bought it and confirm.

Quote:
View Post
My husband and I each had 2 suitcases when we took the train from Geneva to Neuchatel and we didnt have a problem. Just try and get on quickly when it arrives.

I am new to the Swiss Pass, just received my half fare card, but the coupon looks real...Just make sure that you have your Swiss Pass when traveling. They will ask for you to show it.

Happy Moving!!
Great to hear your confirmation. Thanks alot ^^

Last edited by 3Wishes; 30.09.2018 at 20:26. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.09.2018, 18:47
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,460
Groaned at 297 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 9,075 Times in 4,595 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Quote:
View Post
Well, if you visit SBB website, browse to Half-travel card, you will never find this discount information.
Because it apparently is not available online?

Redeemable until 30 November 2018 at most staffed public transport sales offices as
partpayment for a Half-Fare travelcard.
This offer is only available to new customers.
Please print out this Rail Bon and bring a photo and identity document with you
when you buy your travelcard.
The Rail Bon cannot be combined with other special
offers or discounts. It cannot be exchanged for cash. No exchange or refund possible.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 30.09.2018, 18:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bench has no particular reputation at present
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Quote:
View Post
Geneva Airport? If so the train that leaves at 5 minutes after the hour (to Zürich) is direct to Neuchatel. Those are the Bombardier tilting trains and they have some places for baggage storage or, if they fit, the bags can go between the seatbacks. Have a look at travelling in First Class, there will less demand for the baggage storage areas. If the train is not full the conductor will let you get away with bags in front of the seat. If it is full s/he may ask you to pay for the seats.

Otherwise you will have to change at Geneva, Morges or Lausanne. Morges is OK as it is just across the platform (or the same track) and usually just a few minutes, Geneva and Lausanne means you have to go up down stairs. There are some escalators and ramps. Try and avoid rush hours.

2nd class without a discount is CHF 48; first is CHF84. Half that with the demi-tariff.
It seems travelling with train is feasible. I will take direct train and consider the 1st class + half travel card as well. Thank you ^^
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.09.2018, 19:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,568
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 6,218 Times in 2,559 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Quote:
View Post
. If the train … is full s/he may ask you to pay for the seats.
That's a new one, for me. I've never heard of a conductor asking a passenger to pay for the seat on which the passenger has placed a suitcase. It sounds fair, when I think about it, I've just never experienced it.

I've hardly ever encountered problems with luggage, mine or that of others. It's a question of being considerate. So, OP, you'll be fine as long as you are quick to move your luggage to wherever it will obstruct other people the least. Even if you are not physically strong, you will find that - if you ask - others will willingly help you.

Some carriages have a luggage rack or alcove at the beginning/end of the carriage. If you sit facing that, you'll be able to keep an eye on your suitcases. Some carriages have gaps, as someone mentioned, between the seat backrests. Others have overhead luggage racks, usually suitable for smaller items.

Welcome to Switzerland, and I hope you have happy landings, and wish you well as you settle in.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.09.2018, 20:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,516
Groaned at 57 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,396 Times in 710 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Quote:
That's a new one, for me. I've never heard of a conductor asking a passenger to pay for the seat on which the passenger has placed a suitcase. It sounds fair, when I think about it, I've just never experienced it.
Me either, but I did hear a conductor say she could charge the fare, so the passenger moved it to the rack.

However be cautious with your bags. Your train will have at least three stops and bags have gone missing. Considering the number of trains it is low risk, but not no risk.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 30.09.2018, 20:20
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,044
Groaned at 98 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 4,429 Times in 2,121 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Quote:
View Post
That's a new one, for me. I've never heard of a conductor asking a passenger to pay for the seat on which the passenger has placed a suitcase. It sounds fair, when I think about it, I've just never experienced it.
That rule has been around for a few years now. I only seen being applied once on a rush hour train. Mind you that passenger was German and was being very arrogant, which might have influenced her decision to apply the rule!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.10.2018, 23:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bench has no particular reputation at present
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Quote:
View Post
That's a new one, for me. I've never heard of a conductor asking a passenger to pay for the seat on which the passenger has placed a suitcase. It sounds fair, when I think about it, I've just never experienced it.

I've hardly ever encountered problems with luggage, mine or that of others. It's a question of being considerate. So, OP, you'll be fine as long as you are quick to move your luggage to wherever it will obstruct other people the least. Even if you are not physically strong, you will find that - if you ask - others will willingly help you.

Some carriages have a luggage rack or alcove at the beginning/end of the carriage. If you sit facing that, you'll be able to keep an eye on your suitcases. Some carriages have gaps, as someone mentioned, between the seat backrests. Others have overhead luggage racks, usually suitable for smaller items.

Welcome to Switzerland, and I hope you have happy landings, and wish you well as you settle in.
Thank you guys for your helpful advice and discussion. Train is the way to go ^^
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03.10.2018, 16:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 25
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
NPinZH has become a little unpopularNPinZH has become a little unpopular
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Discount coupon of 25CHF comes with Day Pass. That coupon can used to buy Annual half price Swiss Pass. Its not valid on Monthly half Price Pass
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NPinZH for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 04.10.2018, 22:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bench has no particular reputation at present
Re: SBB half-fare travel card discount 25 CHF

Quote:
View Post
Discount coupon of 25CHF comes with Day Pass. That coupon can used to buy Annual half price Swiss Pass. Its not valid on Monthly half Price Pass
Oh I see, It makes sense now since I don't see that discount in the Half-fare pass section. Thanks for your clarification.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swisspass / Half-fare travel Card and Last Name Crazy Husky Lady Transportation/driving 18 14.11.2017 22:22
SBB GA Card and Half Fare Card akowalew Transportation/driving 3 17.03.2015 15:47
half fare travel card with debit card seph Transportation/driving 3 17.02.2014 10:39
SBB Demi-tarif (half-fare) with Credit / Debit card Duncheg Transportation/driving 13 30.10.2013 06:20
Does SBB Half-Fare card reduce yearly ZVV-NetzPass? bozothedeathmachine Transportation/driving 6 17.05.2007 11:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0