English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Temporary car (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/289421-temporary-car.html)

Clocker 07.02.2019 15:38

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

If you are here in an any capacity other than a tourist, and reading between the lines in the OP's case, it seems to be a work move, you have to register within 14 days:
Which indeed would reduce the time frame even further, unless they arrive sooner.

EdwinNL 07.02.2019 16:03

Re: Temporary car
 
21 postings so far, and 12 of them due to somebody failing to read or understand the question...

Urs Max 07.02.2019 18:14

Re: Temporary car
 
When does one start residence, by moving in or by registering with the commune? My money would be on the former.

OP, perhaps check prices on an aggregator like mietwagen-check.ch. Prices for one month, for example, start at around 800 CHF.

Clocker 07.02.2019 19:52

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 3039069)
When does one start residence, by moving in or by registering with the commune?

Depends on what date you give them.

Tox_Rat 07.02.2019 19:54

Re: Temporary car
 
In my case, I became a resident the day I crossed the border into Switzerland and my passport was stamped and the entry permit invalidated. But I'm a 3rd country citizen.

I'm not really sure when it starts for an EU citizen, though.

Clocker 07.02.2019 20:01

Re: Temporary car
 
Since there are no entry stamps for EU citizens it's normally on the date you tell them. I've always specified a logical date around the time of moving and this has been accepted no questions asked.

st2lemans 07.02.2019 21:22

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 3039117)
Since there are no entry stamps for EU citizens it's normally on the date you tell them. I've always specified a logical date around the time of moving and this has been accepted no questions asked.

Fine as long as you aren't working. ;)

If you are working, and don't have a G permit, you are resident at the latest on the day you start work.

Tom

Clocker 07.02.2019 21:30

Re: Temporary car
 
Exactly. Which is why if the OP arrives earlier and registers just before they start working they will not have any issue or complication with the rental of the non-Swiss-plated car during that time. ;)

st2lemans 07.02.2019 21:46

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 3039164)
Exactly. Which is why if the OP arrives earlier and registers just before they start working they will not have any issue or complication with the rental of the non-Swiss-plated car during that time. ;)

OP arrives in April and starts working in April, so days or weeks tops, hardly a savings worth the trouble. ;)

Tom

Clocker 08.02.2019 07:41

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3039172)
OP arrives in April and starts working in April, so days or weeks tops, hardly a savings worth the trouble.

Price difference for some cars is quite significant which is precisely why we rented it from the French side. I think overall we saved nearly 50%. :)

Urs Max 08.02.2019 10:03

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 3039164)
Exactly. Which is why if the OP arrives earlier and registers just before they start working they will not have any issue or complication with the rental of the non-Swiss-plated car during that time. ;)

Unless they have an accident and things get taken a closer look at.

The date you register is when you announce your decision to the authorities, make it official if you will, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the date that counts. Actually I would expect the move-in date to be relevant.

st2lemans 08.02.2019 10:57

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 3039278)
Unless they have an accident and things get taken a closer look at.

Or a control by customs. ;)

Tom

Luther 08.02.2019 14:14

Re: Temporary car
 
Does anyone know the below provider?

Prices look good with the limitation that you have to rent for at least 6 months

https://www.upto.ch/en/

Thanks

L

EdwinNL 08.02.2019 14:21

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 3039278)
Unless they have an accident and things get taken a closer look at.

"Oh, hey we see you have a long term rental contract, so you intended to stay longer than 3 months in our opinion, so hey here we have this law which says you must have registered within 14 days, but it is alright, here have a tasty bill of several thousands for importfraude."

Saving a couple of hundreds always sounds so nice, but when you give it a thought of 10 seconds max, one should realise how dumb some ideas are in reality.

Quote:

The date you register is when you announce your decision to the authorities, make it official if you will, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the date that counts. Actually I would expect the move-in date to be relevant.
That date indeed, I for example had to give my destination when signing out of my old country, and also I had to show my signing out papers when applying for a permit and it got backdated to that exact day. Surely one can commit fraude with such, and surely permit fraude is a reason to not grant a permit at all, meaning bye bye OP, can't go to work here, but still having a valid rental contract to pay up for while having to leave the country.

Such small savings is simply not worth the hassle it can bring.

Clocker 08.02.2019 15:45

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3039407)
I for example had to give my destination when signing out of my old country, and also I had to show my signing out papers when applying for a permit

I've never heard of the Swiss authorities asking for signing out papers from a previous country. In some countries no such documents exist. I've lived in 5 countries and departed from 4. Switzerland was the only one where I notified departure. :rolleyes:

maypril 08.02.2019 16:01

Re: Temporary car
 
OP, if a car is something you really need, I'm almost sure you will find one to buy within 2-3 weeks. Renting a car from France to save some money in those 2-3 weeks is really nothing compared to the potential complications.

EdwinNL 08.02.2019 16:06

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 3039435)
I've never heard of the Swiss authorities asking for signing out papers from a previous country.

Well, now you have.

Clocker 08.02.2019 16:12

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3039448)
Well, now you have.

Do you per chance have a link to that information? I would be interested in looking into it. I don't understand what the Swiss need that document for and why they ask for it when some nationalities will never be able to provide it. :confused:

EdwinNL 08.02.2019 16:31

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 3039451)
Do you per chance have a link to that information? I would be interested in looking into it. I don't understand what the Swiss need that document for and why they ask for it when some nationalities will never be able to provide it. :confused:

Don't know, don't care tbh. They asked me for it and I gave it to them. I came here from the Netherlands. And I assume things differ depending on from what country one comes, no clue how it works when coming from the UK but I don't assume how it works like you do. But assuming like you do that it will all be fine since your personal story which is different from OP has shown so is not the way to go when giving advice.

Clocker 17.02.2019 14:58

Re: Temporary car
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3039466)
Don't know, don't care tbh. They asked me for it and I gave it to them.

Nothing on the relevant website about this though. :confused:


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0