Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 12.04.2019, 20:59
BasP72's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Adliswil (close to Zurich)
Posts: 1,575
Groaned at 55 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,251 Times in 624 Posts
BasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

I would say there is a lot of hidden engineering in an EV determining cost, mainly to do with battery pack. Battery management (temp control, charging control) and motor management are very involved, much more tech behind it than with an ICE. All those volts and amps from the supercharger all need to be equally divided between the thousand of low voltage low amp cells. It needs to keep track of what every cell is doing.... squirting some fuel in a 19th century style engine is much simpler...
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12.04.2019, 22:16
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 933
Groaned at 86 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 860 Times in 418 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Thanks for that, EV is my next vehicle - just trying to make an informed decision among the ever expanding landscape of options
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 15.04.2019, 10:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,286
Groaned at 91 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 1,338 Times in 777 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

So, canton Vaud wants to ban and eradicate all residential electric heating by 2030 or so deeming it an inappropriate use of the scare electricity.

I've seen some calculations showing that generating electricity from gas or petrol, transmitting it, charging and discharging again and turning an electric motor is still more efficient that burning the fuel directly in a car engine. Is it this what makes the e-cars more politically palatable here, or is it the lack of emissions from the tail pipe?
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 15.04.2019, 10:31
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,775
Groaned at 123 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 4,979 Times in 2,423 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
So, canton Vaud wants to ban and eradicate all residential electric heating by 2030 or so deeming it an inappropriate use of the scare electricity.

I've seen some calculations showing that generating electricity from gas or petrol, transmitting it, charging and discharging again and turning an electric motor is still more efficient that burning the fuel directly in a car engine. Is it this what makes the e-cars more politically palatable here, or is it the lack of emissions from the tail pipe?
Bit of both. Electric motors are inherently very efficient plus regeneration from braking also brings system efficiency up. Plus most electricity here is from Nuclear or Hydro therefore decently low carbon.

I think the Vaud point on electric heating concerns direct heating only (i.e. very much not heat pumps which are highly efficient) - direct electric heating is rather inefficient.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 15.04.2019, 15:43
BasP72's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Adliswil (close to Zurich)
Posts: 1,575
Groaned at 55 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,251 Times in 624 Posts
BasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
So, canton Vaud wants to ban and eradicate all residential electric heating by 2030 or so deeming it an inappropriate use of the scare electricity.

I've seen some calculations showing that generating electricity from gas or petrol, transmitting it, charging and discharging again and turning an electric motor is still more efficient that burning the fuel directly in a car engine. Is it this what makes the e-cars more politically palatable here, or is it the lack of emissions from the tail pipe?
Maybe also at a powerstation you can do much more exhaust gas processing to clean it. On a car such a system must be small, light and cost effective, while with a power station I can imagine the optimisation is towards better performance.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 18.04.2019, 07:50
BasP72's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Adliswil (close to Zurich)
Posts: 1,575
Groaned at 55 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,251 Times in 624 Posts
BasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

This morning on the bike to work I was wondering, how much future is in all these charging networks being built now ?

I don't know what the range is on a Model 3, but battery cost and weight will come down to a point that the range of a EV car will get in the 1000km and higher.

What is the point of gas-station like fast charging infrastructure when the range of your typical EV is more than can be humanly driven in one day ? You just refill during the night when you're asleep, either at home or a hotel or something, no need to sit for half an hour or even stop for a top-up...

?
__________________
Happiness is a full tank of gas (or better yet, diesel !)
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 18.04.2019, 08:02
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,234
Groaned at 309 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 9,560 Times in 3,367 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
This morning on the bike to work I was wondering, how much future is in all these charging networks being built now ?

I don't know what the range is on a Model 3, but battery cost and weight will come down to a point that the range of a EV car will get in the 1000km and higher.

What is the point of gas-station like fast charging infrastructure when the range of your typical EV is more than can be humanly driven in one day ? You just refill during the night when you're asleep, either at home or a hotel or something, no need to sit for half an hour or even stop for a top-up...

?
I have only used a supercharger once, and that was driving from Zurich to the Engardin - the car said I could make it home without charge, but I didn‘t fancy arriving with just 10% to spare.

I will only use supercharger 2 or 3 times a year for long trips - like to the UK. Otherwise 98% of charging is done at night at home.

90% charge (as recommended by Tesla for non-roadtrip driving) gives a range of approx 480/520 kms depending on speed and hills.

I think the supercharger network is to sell the EV concept to those who have range anxiety...
__________________


************************************
Fed up of smoking? 10 tips to quit in 10 days
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 18.04.2019, 10:35
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,702
Groaned at 467 Times in 392 Posts
Thanked 13,264 Times in 5,269 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
This morning on the bike to work I was wondering, how much future is in all these charging networks being built now ?

I don't know what the range is on a Model 3, but battery cost and weight will come down to a point that the range of a EV car will get in the 1000km and higher.

What is the point of gas-station like fast charging infrastructure when the range of your typical EV is more than can be humanly driven in one day ? You just refill during the night when you're asleep, either at home or a hotel or something, no need to sit for half an hour or even stop for a top-up...

?

unless you take it on a track* then you'll only get a few laps out of a full charge

* or spirited mountain pass drive etc
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 18.04.2019, 10:38
WilliamTell's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 194
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 189 Times in 78 Posts
WilliamTell has earned the respect of manyWilliamTell has earned the respect of manyWilliamTell has earned the respect of many
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

I am also close to pulling the trigger on a Tesla Model 3.


Thinking about the cheapest version i.e. the rear wheel drive. Autopilot now comes standard, so total price is just under CHF 50K Standard car comes with all the bells and whistles, so see no point in adding CHF 10K for a 4 wheel drive, or CHF 5K for future upgrade to the auto pilot.


I live in an apartment building, and will need an electrician to come by and install the charger (on my grid). This will cost about CHF 2'500.00 including the charger. Tesla lists electricians that do this, but when I called one of them, he pointed me to a local company in my village that also does this (although not on the Tesla site) and said I was better off having this done locally.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank WilliamTell for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 18.04.2019, 10:42
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,188
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,147 Times in 2,226 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
I am also close to pulling the trigger on a Tesla Model 3.


Thinking about the cheapest version i.e. the rear wheel drive. Autopilot now comes standard, so total price is just under CHF 50K Standard car comes with all the bells and whistles, so see no point in adding CHF 10K for a 4 wheel drive, or CHF 5K for future upgrade to the auto pilot.


I live in an apartment building, and will need an electrician to come by and install the charger (on my grid). This will cost about CHF 2'500.00 including the charger. Tesla lists electricians that do this, but when I called one of them, he pointed me to a local company in my village that also does this (although not on the Tesla site) and said I was better off having this done locally.
The quote seems a touch on the high side? I got a 16A charger installed in an apartment block that I was living in - which involved pulling a 16A, thick cable over at least 20m and I think it was less than 1000. You don't need a specialist charger on the wall, just a plug (at whatever Amp rating you want - 16 is a minimum though really) - your Tesla included charger will fit that.

I used Elektrobaer in Oerlikon for the installation - maybe have a word with them first?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #91  
Old 18.04.2019, 10:42
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,702
Groaned at 467 Times in 392 Posts
Thanked 13,264 Times in 5,269 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

imho Battery based cars won't exist in a few years, maybe 10 at most, they will be a footnote in history, clearly they are not the way forward with all the power loss and inefficiencies at every step of the way, from making the batteries, charging them, karting a tonne of dead weight around wherever you go to disposing of them.

hydrogen and fuel cells are the future, but battery cars are a necessary step in that direction
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 18.04.2019, 10:44
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,188
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,147 Times in 2,226 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
disposing of them
They are recycled. Probably after 500,000kms or so they will have lost a significant charge potential, but they are still plenty useful enough for home energy storage etc.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 18.04.2019, 13:08
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,234
Groaned at 309 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 9,560 Times in 3,367 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
imho Battery based cars won't exist in a few years, maybe 10 at most, they will be a footnote in history, clearly they are not the way forward with all the power loss and inefficiencies at every step of the way, from making the batteries, charging them, karting a tonne of dead weight around wherever you go to disposing of them.

hydrogen and fuel cells are the future, but battery cars are a necessary step in that direction
But - watch this lengthy comparison (by a guy with a Model 3):

https://youtu.be/xU-LDZ0HTGc
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 18.04.2019, 13:13
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,234
Groaned at 309 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 9,560 Times in 3,367 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
I am also close to pulling the trigger on a Tesla Model 3.


Thinking about the cheapest version i.e. the rear wheel drive. Autopilot now comes standard, so total price is just under CHF 50K Standard car comes with all the bells and whistles, so see no point in adding CHF 10K for a 4 wheel drive, or CHF 5K for future upgrade to the auto pilot.


I live in an apartment building, and will need an electrician to come by and install the charger (on my grid). This will cost about CHF 2'500.00 including the charger. Tesla lists electricians that do this, but when I called one of them, he pointed me to a local company in my village that also does this (although not on the Tesla site) and said I was better off having this done locally.
That‘s exactly what I paid for the wall charger and installation...
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old Today, 15:47
DUTCH's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 287
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 397 Times in 169 Posts
DUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
I am also close to pulling the trigger on a Tesla Model 3.


Thinking about the cheapest version i.e. the rear wheel drive. Autopilot now comes standard, so total price is just under CHF 50K Standard car comes with all the bells and whistles, so see no point in adding CHF 10K for a 4 wheel drive, or CHF 5K for future upgrade to the auto pilot.
Thanks for highlighting, I ordered the base version (though I took the Enhanced Auto Pilot). Just don't know when the delivery for base version is going to be.

Now off to arranging Wall Charger and WiFi solution in Tiefgarage.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DUTCH for this useful post:
  #96  
Old Today, 15:53
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,188
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,147 Times in 2,226 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tesla Model 3 Fan Boy Thread

Quote:
View Post
That‘s exactly what I paid for the wall charger and installation...
Apparently we'll all be making a fortune by the end of 2020 renting out our Teslas during the time we're not using them - seems a little optimistic, but you never know, Elon is a visionary! Should cover the installation charge
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
loonie tunes, model 3, tesla




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax and insurance for Tesla model 3 pkb Transportation/driving 50 23.02.2019 08:21
Tesla Model S EPMike General off-topic 606 18.12.2018 07:20
Another Czech model wins Elite Model Look MusicChick International affairs/politics 22 28.11.2016 13:50
Tesla import Tampa Transportation/driving 20 13.11.2015 07:37
Extractor Fan / Hood Fan - Venting outside or recirculating Mrs. Doolittle Housing in general 14 19.12.2013 18:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0