Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.02.2019, 12:49
antonb's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
antonb has no particular reputation at present
OBD2 scanner

Dear All,


Is there anyone around Zug, who has a wired OBD2 scanner that i could borrow? I have to check which of my parking sensors is broken. I bought one of the Bluetooth readers but its not showing me any DTC's.


Car is showing me that i need to service the parking assistant.


Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.02.2019, 14:00
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dübi
Posts: 383
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 253 Times in 158 Posts
Jaceq is considered knowledgeableJaceq is considered knowledgeableJaceq is considered knowledgeable
Re: OBD2 scanner

What car?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18.02.2019, 14:01
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,656
Groaned at 451 Times in 382 Posts
Thanked 13,133 Times in 5,229 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OBD2 scanner

odb2 won't tell you anything about your parking sensors
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18.02.2019, 14:10
antonb's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
antonb has no particular reputation at present
Re: OBD2 scanner

Opel Zafira Tourer C
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18.02.2019, 14:19
antonb's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
antonb has no particular reputation at present
Re: OBD2 scanner

I am not good at cars, but reading posts in different forums, people get very accurate results when using OBD2 scanners. The DTC will tell you exactly which sensor is malfunctioning.

Example attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot_2015-03-12-16-18-03.jpg (84.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18.02.2019, 15:16
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,656
Groaned at 451 Times in 382 Posts
Thanked 13,133 Times in 5,229 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OBD2 scanner

obd2 is a 'standard' set of diagnostic readings, which doesn't include parking sensors! but the 'standard' also includes some spare pins manufactures can use for whatever they please (within reason), so you would need a reader designed specifically for your car, and also the software to be able to read the extra codes. Your bog standard obd2 reader won't help.*


* dumbed down so please don't go into one, for a detailed explanation see

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...-obdii-and-can


eta ok, not specific to your car, more specific to that manufacturer eg merc's system is called star. vw have their own, ford have their own, etc etc all are odb2 compliant but without the extra protocol thats all you'll get, a subset of the odb2 standard.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.02.2019, 16:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,784
Groaned at 228 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,241 Times in 4,881 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OBD2 scanner

Quote:
View Post
Dear All,


Is there anyone around Zug, who has a wired OBD2 scanner that i could borrow? I have to check which of my parking sensors is broken. I bought one of the Bluetooth readers but its not showing me any DTC's.


Car is showing me that i need to service the parking assistant.


Thanks in advance!
You can check these sensors by putting your hand on it. No device needed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18.02.2019, 16:53
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,716
Groaned at 761 Times in 519 Posts
Thanked 8,226 Times in 3,899 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OBD2 scanner

Quote:
View Post
You can check these sensors by putting your hand on it. No device needed.

Just let the wife park the car, you'll soon see if they working or not
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.02.2019, 16:56
antonb's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
antonb has no particular reputation at present
Re: OBD2 scanner

Quote:
View Post
You can check these sensors by putting your hand on it. No device needed.

This trick doesn't work, as the car turns off all sensor even if only one is faulty.


Have tried it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank antonb for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 18.02.2019, 17:03
antonb's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
antonb has no particular reputation at present
Re: OBD2 scanner

Quote:
View Post
obd2 is a 'standard' set of diagnostic readings, which doesn't include parking sensors! but the 'standard' also includes some spare pins manufactures can use for whatever they please (within reason), so you would need a reader designed specifically for your car, and also the software to be able to read the extra codes. Your bog standard obd2 reader won't help.*


* dumbed down so please don't go into one, for a detailed explanation see

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...-obdii-and-can


eta ok, not specific to your car, more specific to that manufacturer eg merc's system is called star. vw have their own, ford have their own, etc etc all are odb2 compliant but without the extra protocol thats all you'll get, a subset of the odb2 standard.

Understand, but there is something called HappyBlue adapter:
https://www.happylightshow.com/opel-...sch/happyblue/


In the description is says that it does show the parking-sensors.


Picture I posted earlier was actually using this adapter.


Anyhow, all I am looking for, if there is someone, who could help me save few Swiss rubles. In the garage they are asking CHF 300.00 for one sensor, without the diagnostics and clearing the error codes.


These sensors are sold new all over internet. I just need to know which one is faulty.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printer/Scanner, Blender, Vacuum (ZH) regie Items wanted 2 09.08.2017 00:24
Simple inkjet printer without scanner Flatline82 Items wanted 7 06.02.2017 12:19
Scanner Recommendation COCH Finance/banking/taxation 13 09.08.2016 18:14
Lg lsm-100 mouse scanner temiatwork Daily life 1 06.09.2011 13:13
Looking for a photo scanner foz Other/general 0 04.01.2010 00:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0