Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.02.2019, 09:53
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,206
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,249 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Getting a package to Cyprus

Hi all,

Anyone got experience of this? My parents' laptop is about to pack up and I need to get them a new one. Whilst of course they could buy one over there which would be OK, due to their lack of tech skills, it would make a lot more sense for me to get one (or send them my current one), load all the software they need onto it and then they can just open it up and start using it like their current one.

I looked on DHL and UPS and am getting approx. costs of 150-300chf, at which price, I'm just better off letting them get it, and getting them to install teamviewer or similar and remotely trying to install everything (faff, as they have to click OK on any admin prompt).

Anyone got a better idea? Anyone travelling to Limassol / Paphos any time soon and willing to help someone out for a few beers?

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
StirB
__________________
www.pubquiz.ch - for all your Quiz needs!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.02.2019, 11:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,066
Groaned at 296 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,785 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Also don't forget that somebody has to pay 19% VAT on the package.

I would order it there, and surely some local student can be paid to spend an evening at their house following your instructions.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.02.2019, 13:09
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,206
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,249 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Also don't forget that somebody has to pay 19% VAT on the package.

I would order it there, and surely some local student can be paid to spend an evening at their house following your instructions.
I suppose if I am sending a second hand laptop (over a year old) then that may not apply, or be negligable?

I don't think they'd want some random in their house tbh and it is quite remote in the mountains, so probably trickier (and more expensive) to set up that scenario than you might think.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.02.2019, 13:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: England
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Hannahin has earned some respectHannahin has earned some respect
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

My grandparents fly to Northern Cyprus early May. They will be there for 6 weeks. But I’m guessing too long to wait and too far away?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.02.2019, 13:44
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,206
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,249 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
My grandparents fly to Northern Cyprus early May. They will be there for 6 weeks. But I’m guessing too long to wait and too far away?
It could potentially work I guess - my parents go over the border for weekends occasionally - do your grandparents go anywhere near Kyrenia?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.02.2019, 13:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,066
Groaned at 296 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,785 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
I suppose if I am sending a second hand laptop (over a year old) then that may not apply, or be negligable?
Quote:
It represents a value for which the package can be taxed when exceeding the threshold. How much the value will be depends off on the model.
I don't think they'd want some random in their house tbh and it is quite remote in the mountains, so probably trickier (and more expensive) to set up that scenario than you might think.
Yeah, that makes it trickier.

Also how do you get such high prices, if I look at Swiss post, a package of 10KG to Cyprus with PostPac International Priority is 77,- Chf. (100 x 60 x 60 cm max, so you can put in some other things to if you please)

So perhaps buying it here, setting it completely up before sending might be best. (tip: have extra accounts they can use when they screw up one, I made my dad 10 accounts he could cycle through since he dragged icons everywhere and installed whatever he came across after which I simply restored it.)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 26.02.2019, 13:58
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,234
Groaned at 131 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 9,886 Times in 5,271 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Isn't it high time you visit your parents?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.02.2019, 14:15
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,206
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,249 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, that makes it trickier.

Also how do you get such high prices, if I look at Swiss post, a package of 10KG to Cyprus with PostPac International Priority is 77,- Chf. (100 x 60 x 60 cm max, so you can put in some other things to if you please)

So perhaps buying it here, setting it completely up before sending might be best. (tip: have extra accounts they can use when they screw up one, I made my dad 10 accounts he could cycle through since he dragged icons everywhere and installed whatever he came across after which I simply restored it.)
Haha, I only looked at UPS, DHL and FedEx, didn't look at Swiss Post. Best not let the passport decisions committee in on that little bit of treason! 77 or less is far more palatable.

Quote:
View Post
Isn't it high time you visit your parents?
Dad? I thought your PC was broken?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 26.02.2019, 14:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: England
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Hannahin has earned some respectHannahin has earned some respect
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
It could potentially work I guess - my parents go over the border for weekends occasionally - do your grandparents go anywhere near Kyrenia?
Yep! Their house is in Alsancak. They have a car and my Grandma is regularly out and about running errands so I’m certain she’d be happy to meet them and pass on the laptop. They do live in London though, and I am leaving to move back to London in the 15th March so I’d have to take it with me. Or maybe it is cheaper to send the laptop from London? (Have you looked at sending from a France too? I have no idea if there is any substantial price difference between countries).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.02.2019, 14:48
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,206
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,249 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Yep! Their house is in Alsancak. They have a car and my Grandma is regularly out and about running errands so I’m certain she’d be happy to meet them and pass on the laptop. They do live in London though, and I am leaving to move back to London in the 15th March so I’d have to take it with me. Or maybe it is cheaper to send the laptop from London? (Have you looked at sending from a France too? I have no idea if there is any substantial price difference between countries).
Hi Hannah, thanks for the offer, but on the Swiss Post website, it is only 64chf for sending to their door in Cyprus - that's an amount I'd happily spend.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 26.02.2019, 15:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,066
Groaned at 296 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,785 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Hi Hannah, thanks for the offer, but on the Swiss Post website, it is only 64chf for sending to their door in Cyprus - that's an amount I'd happily spend.
I picked the 10KG option so you could add some Swiss chocolate for your mother.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 26.02.2019, 15:13
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,234
Groaned at 131 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 9,886 Times in 5,271 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Hi Hannah, thanks for the offer, but on the Swiss Post website, it is only 64chf for sending to their door in Cyprus - that's an amount I'd happily spend.
Classic.
A typical "warum denn in die Ferne schweifen ...".

Assuming the Swiss are the most expensive, costs a lot of time.

I have a reason for my signature.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.02.2019, 15:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,066
Groaned at 296 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,785 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Classic.
A typical "warum denn in die Ferne schweifen ...".

Assuming the Swiss are the most expensive, costs a lot of time.
But driving for 2 hours just to save like 30,- on a package is in the end not really a saving I'd say
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26.02.2019, 15:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,279
Groaned at 240 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 8,807 Times in 4,597 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Haha, I only looked at UPS, DHL and FedEx, didn't look at Swiss Post. Best not let the passport decisions committee in on that little bit of treason! 77 or less is far more palatable.
The amount insured may be part of the reason for the higher costs. That risk should be much less of an issue if transported in someone's hand luggage.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26.02.2019, 15:50
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,234
Groaned at 131 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 9,886 Times in 5,271 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
But driving for 2 hours just to save like 30,- on a package is in the end not really a saving I'd say


And why will StirB drive 2 hours to send a packet off with Swiss post?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27.02.2019, 08:11
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,206
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,249 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post


And why will StirB drive 2 hours to send a packet off with Swiss post?
I think he meant my parents driving from Troodos to Kyrenia, to pick up from Hannah's GPs. They could make a weekend out of it though, so not necessarily a real added cost.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 27.02.2019, 13:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,066
Groaned at 296 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,785 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post


And why will StirB drive 2 hours to send a packet off with Swiss post?
Because somebody will have to install it, so he can save 30,- on postage but for that he has to drive to Germany or France for Zürich. Or he buys it remotely and has it shipped directly but than he has to also install all remotely.

Anyway, I might have misunderstood your posting.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 27.02.2019, 14:42
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,206
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,249 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Because somebody will have to install it, so he can save 30,- on postage but for that he has to drive to Germany or France for Zürich. Or he buys it remotely and has it shipped directly but than he has to also install all remotely.

Anyway, I might have misunderstood your posting.
Now you've even confused me Anything bought here would be installed by me, then sent via Swiss Post or a kindly grandparent; there would be no need for remote installation then. Remote installation is only if my parents buy it themselves in Cyprus.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 27.02.2019, 14:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,066
Groaned at 296 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,785 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Now you've even confused me Anything bought here would be installed by me, then sent via Swiss Post or a kindly grandparent; there would be no need for remote installation then. Remote installation is only if my parents buy it themselves in Cyprus.
Which is why cheaper shipping from Germany makes no sense.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 27.02.2019, 15:29
StirB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,206
Groaned at 101 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,249 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a package to Cyprus

Quote:
View Post
Which is why cheaper shipping from Germany makes no sense.
Who was suggesting that? A plague on their house.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cyprus, 40 years on - future? Dougal's Breakfast International affairs/politics 50 25.07.2014 10:48
ATM in Cyprus Sbrinz Jokes/funnies 3 28.03.2013 23:20
Need a favour to bring a pup from Cyprus to Central Europe metamorphosys Pet corner 0 04.04.2012 10:29
Flight to Cyprus Ekaterina Travel/day trips/free time 14 24.01.2012 17:45
Any recommendations on shipping several boxes from Basel to Cyprus? moderngypsy Leaving Switzerland 0 03.06.2010 19:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0