Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.03.2019, 14:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feyr has no particular reputation at present
Getting a new Driving Licence

All the threads seem to be about converting a licence.

I want to apply for a new one.

I went to the center and they said something in German and gave me a form, with a list of opticians.

It seems like I am meant to get an eye test, fill out the form, and send it in. Anything I'm missing? Do I need to send in my passport or B-permit?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.03.2019, 14:16
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,207
Groaned at 309 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 9,532 Times in 3,353 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

<sigh> Do you already hold a valid driving licence? If not you will need to take a written and practice test. If you do just swap for a Swiss one like everyone else does...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.03.2019, 14:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,738
Groaned at 260 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,572 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Given that you seem to be new in Switzerland converting is exactly what you want. (unless you have to start from scratch, if so find a driving school)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.03.2019, 14:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feyr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

I appreciate that most people will swap their current licence, but as I don't have a current valid licence, I want to get a new one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.03.2019, 14:36
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 1,788
Groaned at 36 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,089 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

What about looking here, if your ultimate goal is to obtain a Swiss drivers licence:
https://www.ch.ch/en/driving-licence/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.03.2019, 14:39
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,207
Groaned at 309 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 9,532 Times in 3,353 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate that most people will swap their current licence, but as I don't have a current valid licence, I want to get a new one.
<blood out of stone mode> Why don‘t you have a current licence? Was yours taken off ou for offences? Did it expire? Are driving licences from your country not recognised here? Did you ever have one??
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 07.03.2019, 14:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,738
Groaned at 260 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,572 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate that most people will swap their current licence, but as I don't have a current valid licence, I want to get a new one.
How is your German/Italian or French? If not good enough you may want to take the exam in another canton that does provide the test in English. I would assume you also have to ask in another canton to do this instead of trying to arrange this at your own cantons office. (somebody else can answer this question? )
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.03.2019, 16:20
DUTCH's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 275
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 374 Times in 161 Posts
DUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Rough sequence is something like this (hopefully exhaustive):

1. Attend first aid course.
2. Get eye test
3. Submit application with above 2 for learners license
4. Will be given a slot to take theory test
5. Pass the theory test
6. Will be issued with learners license
7. Start learning with an instructor or eligible companion (they should be insured)
8. Attend a theory course over few days (not a test)
9. After completing 8, ask for a driving practical test date
10. If passed 9, issued with 3 year provisional license
11. Attend 2 more practical courses (not test) over 3 years
12. At the end of 3 years, convert provisional to full license.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank DUTCH for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 07.03.2019, 19:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feyr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
Rough sequence is something like this (hopefully exhaustive):

1. Attend first aid course.
2. Get eye test
3. Submit application with above 2 for learners license
4. Will be given a slot to take theory test
5. Pass the theory test
6. Will be issued with learners license
7. Start learning with an instructor or eligible companion (they should be insured)
8. Attend a theory course over few days (not a test)
9. After completing 8, ask for a driving practical test date
10. If passed 9, issued with 3 year provisional license
11. Attend 2 more practical courses (not test) over 3 years
12. At the end of 3 years, convert provisional to full license.
Thank you very much. I already got the application and did the eye test.

I'll look into the First aid course. Always wanted to learn that anyway.

Why do you have to do the theory test before the theory course? Are you sure that is correct? It seems illogical.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.03.2019, 19:24
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 10,203
Groaned at 121 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 14,492 Times in 6,390 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
Thank you very much. I already got the application and did the eye test.

I'll look into the First aid course. Always wanted to learn that anyway.

Why do you have to do the theory test before the theory course? Are you sure that is correct? It seems illogical.
The ‘theory course’ is not actually to prepare you for the theory exam, it is called ‘sensibilisation’ here in the French speaking parts and covers a range of scenarios that could happen to you as a driver.
You can practise for the theory test online or by buying the course book/CD rom.
It is in several languages.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 07.03.2019 at 19:42.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 07.03.2019, 19:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feyr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
<blood out of stone mode> Why don‘t you have a current licence? Was yours taken off ou for offences? Did it expire? Are driving licences from your country not recognised here? Did you ever have one??
I'm sorry if I upset you somehow but I didn't think people here care enough about my backstory for me to write it out. I can assure you it's boring and doesn't enrich your life.

I have 2 other licences. One is expired, and they refuse to renew it unless I show up in person. It seems passing a test here is perhaps less costly than booking flights.

I have another licence which is from a country outside the EU and I don't think they will accept it here. And that one is just a B licence, I want the A category too.

So my options are:
1. Get on a plane, renew licence 1, wait for it to come in the post, send it in to be transferred.
2. Find out if licence 2 can be translated and converted, if so, get it done, and then pass A category.
3. Apply for a new swiss licence, pass a couple tests
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.03.2019, 19:29
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 10,203
Groaned at 121 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 14,492 Times in 6,390 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
I'm sorry if I upset you somehow but I didn't think people here care enough about my backstory for me to write it out. I can assure you it's boring and doesn't enrich your life.

I have 2 other licences. One is expired, and they refuse to renew it unless I show up in person. It seems passing a test here is perhaps less costly than booking flights.

I have another licence which is from a country outside the EU and I don't think they will accept it here. And that one is just a B licence, I want the A category too.

So my options are:
1. Get on a plane, renew licence 1, wait for it to come in the post, send it in to be transferred.
2. Find out if licence 2 can be translated and converted, if so, get it done, and then pass A category.
3. Apply for a new swiss licence, pass a couple tests
If licence 2 can be converted it would be much cheaper to do that and then take the category A test than it would to do the whole driving test from scratch.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 07.03.2019, 19:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feyr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
How is your German/Italian or French? If not good enough you may want to take the exam in another canton that does provide the test in English. I would assume you also have to ask in another canton to do this instead of trying to arrange this at your own cantons office. (somebody else can answer this question? )
How difficult is the test? I've done about 5 theory tests in my life, the questions were always something like "You see some stupid BS in front of you, what do you do":
A) Honk the horn
B) Curse at their mothers
C) Go really fast
D) Go slow

And the answer is always go slow.

Regarding German, I was planning on learning the numbers, colors, about 50 words like "car", "bicycle", "red", "green", "yellow", "line", "pedestrian crossing", "speed", "left", "right", etc. and give it a go.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.03.2019, 19:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feyr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
If licence 2 can be converted it would be much cheaper to do that and then take the category A test than it would to do the whole driving test from scratch.
Yeah, I'm looking into that too. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07.03.2019, 19:32
DUTCH's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 275
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 374 Times in 161 Posts
DUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
It seems passing a test here is perhaps less costly than booking flights.
...
So my options are:
1. Get on a plane, renew licence 1, wait for it to come in the post, send it in to be transferred.
2. Find out if licence 2 can be translated and converted, if so, get it done, and then pass A category.
3. Apply for a new swiss licence, pass a couple tests
I cannot emphasize enough, go for option 1.
Swiss license from scratch is a very costly and very long process.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank DUTCH for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 07.03.2019, 19:46
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 10,203
Groaned at 121 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 14,492 Times in 6,390 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
I cannot emphasize enough, go for option 1.
Swiss license from scratch is a very costly and very long process.
I concur, option 1 or 2 would be by far the easiest and cheapest options.

The whole driving thing here is eye watering expensive. It cost a fortune for my son to get his licence and he did 90% of his driving practice with me so not many lessons with the instructor.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07.03.2019, 19:54
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 9,683
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 14,679 Times in 6,504 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
How difficult is the test?
Lots of "Who has the priority in this situation" questions.

As you are about to drive on Continental Europe roads you should know them anyway.

Name:  6597990993364056.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  12.6 KB
[ ] Priority from the right applies.
[ ] The drivers have to agree on the order of priority.
[ ] Public buses have always priority.

In addition do that there are photo situations and text questions.

Here a Demo application https://www.cut-demo.ch/

One or two answers can be right. Each missed correct answer is one mistake. Each checked incorrect answer is one mistake. There will be 50 questions out of I do not know how many. Up to 15 mistakes is still a pass.


But back to your problem: You can get a driving record extract from your DMV. This plus the experied US driving license should be enough for the swap.-
__________________
PLAYER 1 ENTER YOUR NAME:_
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 07.03.2019, 20:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feyr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
Lots of "Who has the priority in this situation" questions.

As you are about to drive on Continental Europe roads you should know them anyway.

Attachment 136144
[ ] Priority from the right applies.
[ ] The drivers have to agree on the order of priority.
[ ] Public buses have always priority.

In addition do that there are photo situations and text questions.

Here a Demo application https://www.cut-demo.ch/

One or two answers can be right. Each missed correct answer is one mistake. Each checked incorrect answer is one mistake. There will be 50 questions out of I do not know how many. Up to 15 mistakes is still a pass.


But back to your problem: You can get a driving record extract from your DMV. This plus the experied US driving license should be enough for the swap.-
I went to the canton transportation office. They told me "wait I have to talk to my manager, holdon.........." then they said they will not accept expired licences.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Feyr for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 07.03.2019, 20:10
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 3,355
Groaned at 50 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,073 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
How difficult is the test? I've done about 5 theory tests in my life, the questions were always something like "You see some stupid BS in front of you, what do you do":
A) Honk the horn
B) Curse at their mothers
C) Go really fast
D) Go slow

And the answer is always go slow.

Regarding German, I was planning on learning the numbers, colors, about 50 words like "car", "bicycle", "red", "green", "yellow", "line", "pedestrian crossing", "speed", "left", "right", etc. and give it a go.
I think you may be under estimating slightly.

Try option 2 then. Or, go back to 1.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 07.03.2019, 20:10
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,230
Groaned at 240 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 15,100 Times in 6,237 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a new Driving Licence

Plus one for option 1, or if aSITUS is correct (he usually is), that's even better.

Second best, if your second (valid) licence is accepted here, would be to return to the other country where you hold the valid licence, add the motorcycle endorsement there (assuming it's relatively cheap and easy to do so), then present your shiny new all-encompassing licence to the Swiss authorities with a smile and a few francs.

If you take the Swiss route, you're looking at thousands of francs, three years of your life and a lot of bureaucracy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Australian's licence to Swiss driving licence. Piyanee Transportation/driving 10 18.03.2014 17:30
Changing UK Driving Licence to Swiss Driving Licence careforkids Transportation/driving 16 14.03.2013 10:43
Getting a driving licence in Australia howdy General off-topic 3 09.06.2011 11:56
New Swiss driving licence dingbat Transportation/driving 15 05.06.2011 20:55
How do you change CH driving licence back to UK licence? Richard Street Transportation/driving 22 01.07.2008 13:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0