Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.06.2019, 20:54
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CodrinB has no particular reputation at present
Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Hello!

I've been living for the last 5 months in Switzerland, St. Gallen, and I brought my own car along but I know that after one year I either import it or buy another one from here. So, I have decided to buy a second hand car from Switzerland. The budget is around 8.5k CHF and I would like to use the car to go daily to work which is around 80km per day, and also for trips.

There are a few topics on which I would like to have some information ahead:
1. Where do you recommend me to search for a second hand car?

2. Should I search for one from a garage or from a private person?

3. Based on what is the annual tax car calculation in St. Gallen?

4. Could you please tell me what costs are involved beside the price of the car?

5. Does the MFK is enough or should I try to also do a TCS inspection?

Thank you in advance!
  #2  
Old 21.06.2019, 22:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,649
Groaned at 71 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 3,878 Times in 2,088 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

If you already have a car, why do you want to buy another one?

Is there a reason why you can't continue to drive this one, seeing especially that you don't want to overspend on a "new" car?

What country was it imported from?
How do you want to get it back to there? And how are you going to sell it there?
  #3  
Old 22.06.2019, 09:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CodrinB has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

I would like to buy another car because this is my parents car and I have to return it. They will come and pick it up in a couple of months, so that's why I'm somehow forced to get another one.
  #4  
Old 22.06.2019, 10:04
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,666
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 952 Times in 612 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

4. Suggest you look at Car Insurance comparison cost for a few cars that appeal to you. Hailstone protection in Switzerland is a good idea.


Think about where you will be getting your car maintained, repaired. Large known brand or small local garage. If a small local garage check what cars they maintain, they tend to specialist in some and not others.


Good luck.
  #5  
Old 22.06.2019, 11:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CodrinB has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
4. Suggest you look at Car Insurance comparison cost for a few cars that appeal to you. Hailstone protection in Switzerland is a good idea.


Think about where you will be getting your car maintained, repaired. Large known brand or small local garage. If a small local garage check what cars they maintain, they tend to specialist in some and not others.


Good luck.
Thank you for your information I will take a look.
  #6  
Old 22.06.2019, 12:05
skallywag's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Morges
Posts: 88
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 40 Times in 26 Posts
skallywag has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

I guess you will have established from on line research that car ownership in CH is a lot more expensive than UK. Insurance for example will typically be x3 what you would pay in uk. Similarly maintenance and garage bills are very high, you wont be getting the 150 fixed price minor services you get in UK, assume every time you go to a garage you will get a bill for chf1000 (labour rates about chf200/hour). Therefore even though your budget is modest choose the newest car you can find with the longest service intervals, ideally one without a cam belt (this will definitely be chf1000 to replace about every 4 years, or make sure its done before you buy it). The MFK tends to be thorough on brakes/tyres so if it has just done a test then you can assume they are good for the next 2 years, conversely if they are even slightly marginal it will fail and will need replacing. ....and make sure the buyer includes both summer and winter wheels, they almost certainly have both so get them to throw them in!
The following 2 users groan at skallywag for this post:
  #7  
Old 22.06.2019, 12:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,649
Groaned at 71 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 3,878 Times in 2,088 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I would like to buy another car because this is my parents car and I have to return it. They will come and pick it up in a couple of months, so that's why I'm somehow forced to get another one.

OK, that's understandable.
I was confused because you said "my car".

8500 is not much, it puts you in the used Dacia Sandero category, if you want something with warranty.

Most of these cars go into export, because the dealer usually has to provided some sort of warranty (by law) and there's just not enough money to be made on such a cheap car to enable that.

Also, at 20k km per year, you will need a lot of maintenance and any car (new or old) will quickly show that.

Are you sure you can't or don't want to take public transport?

You may get lucky and find a good car that lasts a season or two without too much hassle - but be sure to budget for a lot of expensive visits to the garage.
  #8  
Old 22.06.2019, 15:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CodrinB has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
OK, that's understandable.
I was confused because you said "my car".

8500 is not much, it puts you in the used Dacia Sandero category, if you want something with warranty.

Most of these cars go into export, because the dealer usually has to provided some sort of warranty (by law) and there's just not enough money to be made on such a cheap car to enable that.

Also, at 20k km per year, you will need a lot of maintenance and any car (new or old) will quickly show that.

Are you sure you can't or don't want to take public transport?

You may get lucky and find a good car that lasts a season or two without too much hassle - but be sure to budget for a lot of expensive visits to the garage.
Ok, let's say i might be able to extend to 10k max. I guess that I have the chance to find a Skoda from 2015-2012 that is good enough.
  #9  
Old 22.06.2019, 16:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CodrinB has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

I've tried to search some cars on autoscout24 and comparis(which is pretty much the same) until now. There are any other sites beside these two?
  #10  
Old 22.06.2019, 16:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CodrinB has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
OK, that's understandable.
I was confused because you said "my car".

8500 is not much, it puts you in the used Dacia Sandero category, if you want something with warranty.

Most of these cars go into export, because the dealer usually has to provided some sort of warranty (by law) and there's just not enough money to be made on such a cheap car to enable that.

Also, at 20k km per year, you will need a lot of maintenance and any car (new or old) will quickly show that.

Are you sure you can't or don't want to take public transport?

You may get lucky and find a good car that lasts a season or two without too much hassle - but be sure to budget for a lot of expensive visits to the garage.

I guess that a new Dacia Sandero will be around 8.5k. I guess that a 2nd hand Skoda will be better than a Dacia Sandero.
  #11  
Old 22.06.2019, 16:07
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CodrinB has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

For example: https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/skod...dy=1&vehtyp=10
  #12  
Old 22.06.2019, 16:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,649
Groaned at 71 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 3,878 Times in 2,088 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Comparis searches everything.
OK, it looks like with the exception of anibis and tutti.
  #13  
Old 23.06.2019, 09:57
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,897
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,489 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I guess that a new Dacia Sandero will be around 8.5k. I guess that a 2nd hand Skoda will be better than a Dacia Sandero.
The Dacia is a Renault built in Romania. Basically that says enough.
Skodas are VWs built in Czechia.
That said, I would pick a used Skoda over a new Dacia any day.

In addition some cars are perhaps better off new.
https://www.iseecars.com/cars-to-buy-new-study

And having new tech like lane assist can be helpful in the Swiss congestion.

Personally, I would go for the Impreza.
New or used.

https://www.subaru.ch/de/Impreza/1079/Modelle.htm

https://www.comparis.ch/carfinder/ma.../show/25158319

or a CNG Skoda or SEAT!

https://www.seat-cng.ch

Last edited by robBob; 23.06.2019 at 10:28.
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 24.06.2019, 10:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 542
Groaned at 44 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 582 Times in 322 Posts
dandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputation
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hello!
1. Where do you recommend me to search for a second hand car?
autoscout.ch and ricardo.ch to identify potential cars, then take it from there (visit local dealers and garages etc)

Quote:
2. Should I search for one from a garage or from a private person?
At your budget you may want to lean towards a garage though for possible warranty options.

Quote:
3. Based on what is the annual tax car calculation in St. Gallen?
No idea but I presume a combination of engine size/weight/emissions?

Quote:
4. Could you please tell me what costs are involved beside the price of the car?
Well:
- parking (parking place/garage/etc) - depends on your facilities
- annual tax (~500/year)
- insurance (800-1200/year)
- servicing - put at least 500/year to be sure for CH
- longer term consumables such as summer/winter tyres/wheels
- petrol

As you already have a car you may know some of these costs already?
Quote:
5. Does the MFK is enough or should I try to also do a TCS inspection?
An MFK is a good sign, if you don't know anything about cars it's good to have a knowledgeable person with you. Don't have much experience with TCS inspections - see some other threads on this site. It's better to look around at and test many cars than putting your eggs in one basket - only if you found something you really like and want to buy then a TCS inspection is worth investing in.

Your budget should allow you to find a "small family" second hand car around 5+ year old with cca 100k - of the likes of the Polo family (Skoda Fabia/Seat Ibiza etc), even some japanese (Nissan, Toyota) cars that should be quite reliable. Despite what everyone says, don't discount Peugeot or Renault either. But remember, the bigger the car, the more expensive to maintain and service
The following 2 users would like to thank dandi for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 24.06.2019, 16:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CodrinB has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
autoscout.ch and ricardo.ch to identify potential cars, then take it from there (visit local dealers and garages etc)

At your budget you may want to lean towards a garage though for possible warranty options.

No idea but I presume a combination of engine size/weight/emissions?

Well:
- parking (parking place/garage/etc) - depends on your facilities
- annual tax (~500/year)
- insurance (800-1200/year)
- servicing - put at least 500/year to be sure for CH
- longer term consumables such as summer/winter tyres/wheels
- petrol

As you already have a car you may know some of these costs already?
An MFK is a good sign, if you don't know anything about cars it's good to have a knowledgeable person with you. Don't have much experience with TCS inspections - see some other threads on this site. It's better to look around at and test many cars than putting your eggs in one basket - only if you found something you really like and want to buy then a TCS inspection is worth investing in.

Your budget should allow you to find a "small family" second hand car around 5+ year old with cca 100k - of the likes of the Polo family (Skoda Fabia/Seat Ibiza etc), even some japanese (Nissan, Toyota) cars that should be quite reliable. Despite what everyone says, don't discount Peugeot or Renault either. But remember, the bigger the car, the more expensive to maintain and service
Thank you I have been waiting for this reply on all the points. Thank you for the information
  #16  
Old 26.06.2019, 14:22
antonb's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
antonb has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hello!

I've been living for the last 5 months in Switzerland, St. Gallen, and I brought my own car along but I know that after one year I either import it or buy another one from here. So, I have decided to buy a second hand car from Switzerland. The budget is around 8.5k CHF and I would like to use the car to go daily to work which is around 80km per day, and also for trips.

There are a few topics on which I would like to have some information ahead:
1. Where do you recommend me to search for a second hand car?

2. Should I search for one from a garage or from a private person?

3. Based on what is the annual tax car calculation in St. Gallen?

4. Could you please tell me what costs are involved beside the price of the car?

5. Does the MFK is enough or should I try to also do a TCS inspection?

Thank you in advance!

My biggest advise to you is to check if the car description actually is in line with the ad. If you look in Autoscout24 under the description it always has a banner saying that the actual features are not guaranteed (picture attached). I will be honest and admit, that I didnt see this warning and got screwed big time. I was looking for a car with Xenon lights, but in the end it didnt have them and I could do anything.


Therefore take your time and check all the details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation 2019-06-26 142051.jpg (24.0 KB, 135 views)
This user would like to thank antonb for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 26.06.2019, 15:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,409
Groaned at 296 Times in 225 Posts
Thanked 19,355 Times in 6,733 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I will be honest and admit, that I didnt see this warning and got screwed big time. I was looking for a car with Xenon lights, but in the end it didnt have them and I could do anything.
Didn't you do a test drive? You can even see on pictures if it has xenon.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a second hand car CuppaTea Transportation/driving 5 17.03.2017 11:06
General pointer for buying second hand car in switzerland shukibuki Transportation/driving 8 21.09.2016 11:24
Buying a second hand car nabeel.a Transportation/driving 6 12.06.2015 10:17
buying second hand car in zurich bevilachka Transportation/driving 5 14.09.2014 22:12
Buying A Car Second Hand... matilda blue Transportation/driving 2 07.08.2008 19:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0