Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03.07.2019, 11:17
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,884
Groaned at 874 Times in 593 Posts
Thanked 9,834 Times in 4,670 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
The process is slightly different when you are importing it as your personal belongings that you have owned more than 6 months. I brought my Mazda MX-5 over from the US 13 years ago and am still driving it.
The only thing I had to change was the color of the turn signal lights. it was yellow instead of orange or vice versa. it ended up costing about 200 francs. Some things you do not have to change. It is stated on my grey card that my car is louder than it is supposed to be by a few decibels but because it was imported as my household goods I did not have to change that. Of course this model of car is available here so spare parts are readily available as well. I believe there is a regulation somewhere that describes what must meet the Swiss standard and what is allowed to remain. But this document was only available in one of the Swiss languages.
It also tends to be more trouble when the inspection comes up but I just have to bring out the paperwork.



Does it have Xenon headlights ?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03.07.2019, 11:46
tw44's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 141
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
tw44 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

no my car does not have xenon headlights. at least I dont think so.


https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home...es--cars-.html
here is info about importing. the federal directives are what is important. but it is not in english.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03.07.2019, 14:34
Miu Miu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: US
Posts: 36
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Miu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

How can I figure out whether the lights are Xenon or LED?
I vaguely recall the guy at the dealership told me to check the light and if I see a leeter e in-circulated it means it is LED.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03.07.2019, 14:37
Miu Miu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: US
Posts: 36
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Miu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
The process is slightly different when you are importing it as your personal belongings that you have owned more than 6 months. I brought my Mazda MX-5 over from the US 13 years ago and am still driving it.
The only thing I had to change was the color of the turn signal lights. it was yellow instead of orange or vice versa. it ended up costing about 200 francs. Some things you do not have to change. It is stated on my grey card that my car is louder than it is supposed to be by a few decibels but because it was imported as my household goods I did not have to change that. Of course this model of car is available here so spare parts are readily available as well. I believe there is a regulation somewhere that describes what must meet the Swiss standard and what is allowed to remain. But this document was only available in one of the Swiss languages.
It also tends to be more trouble when the inspection comes up but I just have to bring out the paperwork.
Thank you. This is what I have heard too that when you bring it as your household good they are more accommodating.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03.07.2019, 14:39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 441
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 420 Times in 219 Posts
ch2013 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

OK, good luck!

Let us know how it goes...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03.07.2019, 14:53
Miu Miu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: US
Posts: 36
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Miu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Ok folks just got off of the phone with my Audi's service department. They said the lights are LED.
Of course one cannot be entirely sure with them
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03.07.2019, 14:54
Miu Miu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: US
Posts: 36
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Miu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
OK, good luck!

Let us know how it goes...
I will definitely post an update for information purposes.
Thank you all for your guidance.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03.07.2019, 14:56
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,984
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,968 Times in 5,553 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
Thank you. This is what I have heard too that when you bring it as your household good they are more accommodating.
no they are not! you have to have an import mfk (test) they are not accommodating AT ALL if your car differs even the slightest from the approved swiss certified version then you are SOL, this is even down to things like braided brake hoses - standard on a lot of cars throughout the world - not allowed here.

For example the car we imported has a totally standard (for everywhere in the world apart from the swiss version) rear spoiler - mkf tester said no.

It has standard wheels - except for the swiss version - mfk tester said no

uprated stainless steel exhaust system - mfk says no

the list goes no, there is no leeway or tester discretion, either it matches the CoC or the swiss certification or its a NO.


Please don't listen to people who say otherwise, that would be a costly mistake, sure you are allowed aftermarket parts on your car, like louder exhausts, but they HAVE to be swiss certified.

the import MFK is no walk in the park, they know what they are looking for and where to check, they run serial numbers through their system, check sound levels, check speedo readings etc etc etc
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 03.07.2019, 15:06
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,884
Groaned at 874 Times in 593 Posts
Thanked 9,834 Times in 4,670 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
no they are not! you have to have an import mfk (test) they are not accommodating AT ALL if your car differs even the slightest from the approved swiss certified version then you are SOL, this is even down to things like braided brake hoses - standard on a lot of cars throughout the world - not allowed here.

For example the car we imported has a totally standard (for everywhere in the world apart from the swiss version) rear spoiler - mkf tester said no.

It has standard wheels - except for the swiss version - mfk tester said no

uprated stainless steel exhaust system - mfk says no

the list goes no, there is no leeway or tester discretion, either it matches the CoC or the swiss certification or its a NO.


Please don't listen to people who say otherwise, that would be a costly mistake, sure you are allowed aftermarket parts on your car, like louder exhausts, but they HAVE to be swiss certified.

the import MFK is no walk in the park, they know what they are looking for and where to check, they run serial numbers through their system, check sound levels, check speedo readings etc etc etc

This opf course is all avoided if you have a European Cerificate of Conformity (CoC)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03.07.2019, 15:15
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,984
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,968 Times in 5,553 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

you need to find out if your exact spec of q3 is available here, so a Q3 with the same engine, engine size, gearbox, turbo etc etc If you have an engine thats only available in the USA then forget it.

an example - we have official mustangs here now, but only the 2.3l and 5l versions not like the USA with the 3.7 version. Now someone has gone to the expensive of certifying the 3.7 version and they charge 5k chf for the documentation you would need to import it.

Ask your dealer if they can supply you with a certificate of conformity (CoC) this will make your life a lot easier, its a standard EU thing and if they don't know about it Audi head office definitely will.

Do the math! unless the car holds extreme sentimental value or is such a rare / expensive version then just forget it, Q3's are 10 a penny here. sell it there, buy / lease one here get your 10 years servicing and 3 years warranty and never have to worry. If the worst happens and your car gets totalled here the insurance is going to pay you peanuts.

As someone else pointed out, an Audi dealer here is going to think its christmas when you turn up asking for a service on your import.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 03.07.2019, 15:31
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,514
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 15,966 Times in 7,072 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
you need to find out if your exact spec of q3 is available here, so a Q3 with the same engine, engine size, gearbox, turbo etc etc If you have an engine thats only available in the USA then forget it.
You are wrong and there is indeed a difference if you import a new car or if you import a used car as part of your household move.

Please see the "Weisungen des ASTRA vom 27. Februar 2014 über die Befreiung von der Typengenehmigung" http://www.astra2.admin.ch/media/pdf...-27_2418_d.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03.07.2019, 16:00
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,984
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,968 Times in 5,553 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
You are wrong and there is indeed a difference if you import a new car or if you import a used car as part of your household move.

Please see the "Weisungen des ASTRA vom 27. Februar 2014 über die Befreiung von der Typengenehmigung" http://www.astra2.admin.ch/media/pdf...-27_2418_d.pdf
not seeing what part of that would be relevant to a 2017 Q3?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03.07.2019, 17:39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 441
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 420 Times in 219 Posts
ch2013 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

See this document

Follow the steps for IMPORT STATUS B
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03.07.2019, 17:58
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 27,152
Groaned at 1,708 Times in 1,304 Posts
Thanked 31,497 Times in 15,065 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
This opf course is all avoided if you have a European Cerificate of Conformity (CoC)
Not always, I also needed to buy a certification from the importer (CHF 1500), get an additional document from the manufacturer, and do an additional inspection. Took nearly a year!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03.07.2019, 18:07
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 678
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 802 Times in 340 Posts
NickGB has an excellent reputationNickGB has an excellent reputationNickGB has an excellent reputationNickGB has an excellent reputation
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
If it had been a Ferrari 250 GTO, my advice would have been a bit differnet,
Why, does the GTO not have Xenons? (Or do they all have headlamp washers?)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03.07.2019, 18:13
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,514
Groaned at 81 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 15,966 Times in 7,072 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
Why, does the GTO not have Xenons? (Or do they all have headlamp washers?)
Seriously?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03.07.2019, 18:22
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 678
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 802 Times in 340 Posts
NickGB has an excellent reputationNickGB has an excellent reputationNickGB has an excellent reputationNickGB has an excellent reputation
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
Seriously?
no...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04.07.2019, 00:43
Miu Miu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: US
Posts: 36
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Miu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post

Do the math! unless the car holds extreme sentimental value or is such a rare / expensive version then just forget it, Q3's are 10 a penny here. sell it there, buy / lease one here get your 10 years servicing and 3 years warranty and never have to worry. If the worst happens and your car gets totalled here the insurance is going to pay you peanuts.
I have been checking and you guys know what you are talking about. For one the sales tax seem to be much lower than Germany (7.7 vs 19%). I think I might be better off listening and just sell my car.

I bought my car preowned certified. Does this exist in CH? Is 3 years of warrant and 10 years of service only for new cars?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04.07.2019, 07:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 34
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
memihai has no particular reputation at present
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

No, also used cars may have the warranty and service plan. It is taken over from the previous owner.

example
standard warranty 3 year
pre-owned car 1 year old.
you still have 2 year warranty

The same for service.

I can confirm it works this way for Volvo and BMW, I expect this to work for most brands.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank memihai for this useful post:
This user groans at memihai for this post:
  #40  
Old 04.07.2019, 07:45
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,884
Groaned at 874 Times in 593 Posts
Thanked 9,834 Times in 4,670 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a car from US to CH

Quote:
View Post
Why, does the GTO not have Xenons? (Or do they all have headlamp washers?)

No Zenons
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importing a Ford Explorer from US to CH letssee Transportation/driving 22 02.08.2017 22:18
Importing a german car from US to sell in CH maxmara Transportation/driving 15 19.07.2016 17:25
Importing Machinery from the US to CH Confloozed Business & entrepreneur 7 23.07.2013 08:20
importing cars from US to ch rebeccam43 Transportation/driving 6 30.08.2012 18:04
Importing Toyota Corolla from US to CH - experiences? thepaw Transportation/driving 3 23.08.2010 18:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0