English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Suggest a new car to me (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/293522-suggest-new-car-me.html)

bigblue2 13.08.2019 13:53

Suggest a new car to me
 
After my car has been hit for the 3rd time in less then a year it may be time to look around for something more visible!! I'm forced to take avoiding action at least twice a day as my current car (black audi tt) seems to be totally invisible - I wish this was a joke but its really not, my last car (new shape mustang) never had these issues, in fact I only remember it ever being cut up once in 5 years!! no near misses, no damage.

if only the mustang didn't use 11l per 100km or was actually usable in snow :(

while the interior of the tt is gorgeous (the reason I bought it) the stress of having to 2nd, 3rd, 4th guess everyone else on the road is too much, did I mention its invisible??

Really I don't know what is wrong with people??? I can only liken it to riding a motorbike, people see you, look right at you, pause, then pull out right in front of it??? regardless of the fact I'm doing the speed limit, maybe its an audi hate thing going on.


Requirement

must get good mileage - 7l per 100km max
Must have a really nice interior, we're talking leather, ergonomic, quiet
All the toys
all the safety gear
< 2.0 engine

electric is still not feasible for my journey

k_and_e 13.08.2019 14:13

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
An old Mercedes 200D.
Interior is nice, good fuel consumption and so slow that you will never be able to overtake;)

bigblue2 13.08.2019 14:14

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by k_and_e (Post 3090820)
An old Mercedes 200D.
Interior is nice, good fuel consumption and so slow that you will never be able to overtake;)

NEW car, NEW lol

don't want to be messing around fixing old bangers anymore

slammer 13.08.2019 14:15

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 3090807)
After my car has been hit for the 3rd time in less then a year it may be time to look around for something more visible!! I'm forced to take avoiding action at least twice a day as my current car (black audi tt) seems to be totally invisible - I wish this was a joke but its really not, my last car (new shape mustang) never had these issues, in fact I only remember it ever being cut up once in 5 years!! no near misses, no damage.

if only the mustang didn't use 11l per 100km or was actually usable in snow :(

while the interior of the tt is gorgeous (the reason I bought it) the stress of having to 2nd, 3rd, 4th guess everyone else on the road is too much, did I mention its invisible??

Really I don't know what is wrong with people??? I can only liken it to riding a motorbike, people see you, look right at you, pause, then pull out right in front of it??? regardless of the fact I'm doing the speed limit, maybe its an audi hate thing going on.


Requirement

must get good mileage - 7l per 100km max
Must have a really nice interior, we're talking leather, ergonomic, quiet
All the toys
all the safety gear
< 2.0 engine

electric is still not feasible for my journey


Jeder Raudi fährt Audi. But if you want a car with more visibility then go for this maybe.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...60622-216-8646

st2lemans 13.08.2019 15:04

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Skoda. ;)

Tom

bigblue2 13.08.2019 15:05

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3090860)
Skoda. ;)

Tom

over my dead body!! you'll never see me in a skoda - ever!!!

Ban him mods, ban him!!!!

Tom1234 13.08.2019 15:11

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
A French car?

Peugeot get the highest results for reliability of all manufacturers (which was your main criteria for never buying French, or BMW minis in your previous posts).


;)

bigblue2 13.08.2019 15:13

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3090867)
A French car?

Peugeot get the highest results for reliability of all manufacturers (which was your main criteria for never buying French, or BMW minis in your previous posts).


;)

ban him too

no french, italian, bmw or skoda

krlock3 13.08.2019 15:14

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Electric is not feasible, or you refuse to accept that electric is feasible?

Go test drive a tesla if you are in the market for a new car, perhaps you will change your mind.

Otherwise, it is my well considered view that Audi's still have the best overall interior (unless you can afford Bentley money - you don't say). Second to that it's a toss up between Merc and BMW, perhaps with volvo in fourth place. The latest merc interiors, even on the A Class, are about as advaced as they come but I'm not quite sold on the styling. The newest BMW interiors run close to that, especially if you are a fan of iDrive, which you don't seem to be.

Still, I recommend you to take a tesla out for a spin for fun.

p.s how much more 'mileage' :-) can you possibly get out of your little accident! threads galore. do you have PTSD?

Guest 13.08.2019 15:16

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
A nice holiday in Sweden and than to drive back in your cheaper import Volvo V90?

bigblue2 13.08.2019 15:18

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krlock3 (Post 3090869)
Electric is not feasible, or you refuse to accept that electric is feasible?

Go test drive a tesla if you are in the market for a new car, perhaps you will change your mind.

Otherwise, it is my well considered view that Audi's still have the best overall interior (unless you can afford Bentley money - you don't say). Second to that it's a toss up between Merc and BMW, perhaps with volvo in fourth place. The latest merc interiors, even on the A Class, are about as advaced as they come but I'm not quite sold on the styling. The newest BMW interiors run close to that.

Still, I recommend you to take a tesla out for a spin for fun.

p.s how much more mileage can you possibly get out of your little accident! threads galore. do you have PTSD?

Its the range that's the issue, Tesla's are the only ones that (on paper) would be able to handle my commute, do they do a bentley < 2l? ;)

krlock3 13.08.2019 15:21

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Well, Tesla's are definitely < 2L

If nothing else, you can then open another car related thread telling us about your experiences :msntongue:

fatmanfilms 13.08.2019 15:31

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3090860)
Skoda. ;)

Tom

Nissan Qashai gets rave reviews on the forum

bigblue2 13.08.2019 15:32

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3090885)
Nissan Qashai gets rave reviews on the forum

:msnsick:

Privet 13.08.2019 15:35

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 3090807)
After my car has been hit for the 3rd time in less then a year it may be time to look around for something more visible!! I'm forced to take avoiding action at least twice a day as my current car (black audi tt) seems to be totally invisible - I wish this was a joke but its really not, my last car (new shape mustang) never had these issues, in fact I only remember it ever being cut up once in 5 years!! no near misses, no damage.

if only the mustang didn't use 11l per 100km or was actually usable in snow :(

while the interior of the tt is gorgeous (the reason I bought it) the stress of having to 2nd, 3rd, 4th guess everyone else on the road is too much, did I mention its invisible??

Really I don't know what is wrong with people??? I can only liken it to riding a motorbike, people see you, look right at you, pause, then pull out right in front of it??? regardless of the fact I'm doing the speed limit, maybe its an audi hate thing going on.


Requirement

must get good mileage - 7l per 100km max
Must have a really nice interior, we're talking leather, ergonomic, quiet
All the toys
all the safety gear
< 2.0 engine

electric is still not feasible for my journey

Save some dough and wrap your slab in nice neon yellow, and put some nice silver reflection stripes as racing stripes on it -> Problem solved

Seriously, some vital information is missing:
> how many KM do you drive per year?
> are you looking for something that offers more space?
> do you need AWD?
> do you do road trips, or do you need it mainly for commuting?
> do you drive mainly in the city or out in the countryside?
> and most important: is the car a tool or a statement for you?

bigblue2 13.08.2019 15:37

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Privet (Post 3090888)
> how many KM do you drive per year?
> are you looking for something that offers more space?
> do you need AWD?
> do you do road trips, or do you need it mainly for commuting?
> do you drive mainly in the city or out in the countryside?
> and most important: is the car a tool or a statement for you?

a lot
no
no
commuting
motorway
this one, a tool

Guest 13.08.2019 15:38

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
CLS 63, you’ll shave hours off your commute and they’re fantastic for pissing off Swiss tractor drivers, not that you usually see their reactions with all the dust !:D:D

Guest 13.08.2019 15:41

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Privet (Post 3090888)
> and most important: is the car a tool or a statement for you?

I think the tool is inside the car :D:D

Verbier 13.08.2019 15:44

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
The challenge with black is that it blends in with the road and is terrible with anything but the brightest lighting conditions.

How about asking another question. If you like the car, why not just have it re-painted (in CH or D if cheaper).

It is not that tough for a good body shop to "pop" off the panels, paint them as a group and put them back on.

The best compromise colour is SILVER (why not go for a nice metallic). Good during the day, good in early evening /low light and night-time and good in bad weather (rain/snow). The metallic paint (lots of good examples in the Merc line-up and others) will also help with visibility. To be clear, we are talking silver and not grey colour.

starmir 13.08.2019 15:47

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 3090875)
do they do a bentley < 2l? ;)

Yes... it's called a skoda superb ;)

smackerjack 13.08.2019 15:48

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Verbier is right about colour. Had a dark green Mercedes 190 - years ago and it was like I was invisible. Same with a black Lancia.
Since then have had white/silver/blue cars and am always seen.
Keep the TT but a respray might be the order of the day!!

fatmanfilms 13.08.2019 15:50

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smackerjack (Post 3090901)
Verbier is right about colour. Had a dark green Mercedes 190 - years ago and it was like I was invisible. Same with a black Lancia.
Since then have had white/silver/blue cars and am always seen.
Keep the TT but a respray might be the order of the day!!

My Porsche 911 was black, nobody ever hit it in the 18 years I owned it.

BasP72 13.08.2019 15:50

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
I'd go for something Japanese... with Suzuki (bad interiors) and Honda (same) out, how about a Mazda 6 ?

Or the new Peugeot 508 ?

For comfort and nice interior I can also recommend Citroen...

bigblue2 13.08.2019 15:53

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Verbier (Post 3090895)
The challenge with black is that it blends in with the road and is terrible with anything but the brightest lighting conditions.

How about asking another question. If you like the car, why not just have it re-painted (in CH or D if cheaper).

It is not that tough for a good body shop to "pop" off the panels, paint them as a group and put them back on.

The best comprise colour is SILVER (why not go for a nice metallic). Good during the day, good in early evening /low light and night-time and good in bad weather (rain/snow). The metallic paint (lots of good examples in the Merc line-up and others) will also help with visibility. To be clear, we are talking silver and not grey colour.


I thought it might be the colour, but mrs bb2 drives a bright orange focus st and has similar issues, no one can say they can't see that coming. The mustang was big and imposing which I think is more the issue, people see audi and think meh, wanker, gonna pull out. They see focus and think young, poor, gonna pull out, I've really never experienced anything quite like it. Maybe a huge pickup truck is whats needed

Belgianmum 13.08.2019 15:54

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smackerjack (Post 3090901)
Verbier is right about colour. Had a dark green Mercedes 190 - years ago and it was like I was invisible. Same with a black Lancia.
Since then have had white/silver/blue cars and am always seen.
Keep the TT but a respray might be the order of the day!!

Hubby has a rather large white car and he swears it must be invisible, I have no idea how other cars can miss it but they do so with alarming regularity.

st2lemans 13.08.2019 15:57

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 3090868)
no french, italian, bmw or skoda

SEAT? :p

Tom

3Wishes 13.08.2019 16:00

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 3090862)
over my dead body!! you'll never see me in a skoda - ever!!!

Ban him mods, ban him!!!!

No way, I had to thank him cuz it made me laugh out loud! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not get a nice paint job or wrap on your current car?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ab/a2...0f50376712.jpg

https://www.fespa.com/getattachment/...png?lang=en-GB

Guest 13.08.2019 16:16

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
A red car is best for visibility, can't be missed in foggy, dull days.

Volvo or Honda. Metallic red.

Guest 13.08.2019 16:28

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
How about a Sinclair C5 ?

bigblue2 13.08.2019 16:32

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

How about a Sinclair C5 ?
bit cold in winter

3Wishes 13.08.2019 16:33

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Maybe it's not just color. Maybe you need a body lift so you're higher up off the road and seen more easily.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6c/7f/9d/6...paint-jobs.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c1/c5...d5cb99d7da.jpg

Treverus 13.08.2019 16:36

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
I got an e89 Z4 this summer as they are now depreciated. Mine is silver, but with your problem: I always thought they look good in "Atacama yellow" and youd certainly not be overlooked easily…

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1306976442

Tom1234 13.08.2019 16:44

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 3090943)
I got an e89 Z4 this summer as they are now depreciated. Mine is silver, but with your problem: I always thought they look good in "Atacama yellow" and youd certainly not be overlooked easily…

He said no BMWs or French cars...

k_and_e 13.08.2019 16:59

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 3090907)
I thought it might be the colour, but mrs bb2 drives a bright orange focus st and has similar issues, no one can say they can't see that coming. The mustang was big and imposing which I think is more the issue, people see audi and think meh, wanker, gonna pull out. They see focus and think young, poor, gonna pull out, I've really never experienced anything quite like it. Maybe a huge pickup truck is whats needed


Maybe you should visit a psychologist instead of changing the car;)

bigblue2 13.08.2019 17:05

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by k_and_e (Post 3090957)
Maybe you should visit a psychologist instead of changing the car;)

Harvey says I don't need to

Privet 13.08.2019 17:08

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Get a Toyota Hybrid or spoil yourself with a Lexus (extra bonus points for the predator grill).

https://static.carthrottle.com/works...e45135aaa1.jpg

Treverus 13.08.2019 17:15

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 3090907)
I thought it might be the colour, but mrs bb2 drives a bright orange focus st and has similar issues, no one can say they can't see that coming. The mustang was big and imposing which I think is more the issue, people see audi and think meh, wanker, gonna pull out. They see focus and think young, poor, gonna pull out, I've really never experienced anything quite like it. Maybe a huge pickup truck is whats needed

Ok, so you want a large car with imposing presence that says "not a poor wanker" and ideally in a high viz color?

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/lamb...2453&vehtyp=10

Medea Fleecestealer 13.08.2019 17:15

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3090885)
Nissan Qashai gets rave reviews on the forum

+1 to that. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 3090887)
:msnsick:

Have you even test driven one?

Hubby drives to Lausanne and back every day for work. Gets 4.5-5ltr per 100 kms in his top of the range 1.6 diesel Tekna. Fills up once a week.

If you're going to be fussy, better say what models are acceptable rather than say no to all suggestions.

bigblue2 13.08.2019 17:16

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 3090966)
Ok, so you want a large car with imposing presence that says "not a poor wanker" and ideally in a high viz color?

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/lamb...2453&vehtyp=10

no I want an economical car with a nice interior that people can see

Guest 13.08.2019 17:16

Re: Suggest a new car to me
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue2 (Post 3090907)
I thought it might be the colour, but mrs bb2 drives a bright orange focus st and has similar issues, no one can say they can't see that coming. The mustang was big and imposing which I think is more the issue, people see audi and think meh, wanker, gonna pull out. They see focus and think young, poor, gonna pull out, I've really never experienced anything quite like it. Maybe a huge pickup truck is whats needed

Have a nice van with a big plumbing company logo, nothing says "I don't care about your car and do dare to throw it upfront of me" more than a bruised company van. (tho the pick-up I met in Sweden with 3 drunk hillbillies in the back with hunting rifles also was very convincing and made me go all the way go in the grass so they could pass)

Funny that you also experienced it in an Audi, I was used to Audi being a popular leasing car and there are two types of leasing drivers, those who can't drive, and those who don't care since it isn't their car anyway, so I tend to not throw my car in between upfront of an Audi (Unless it is an A3, but we spoke about cars so can forget about that one)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0